Page 22 of 89 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Otaka View Post
    Starting a sith academy or an empire would actually be the stupidest idea considering how numerous the jedi are... it wouldve been dismantled very quickly.
    So what, the only options are "full Empire" or "literally only two people"? Come on.

You said it yourself: it's a rule broken all the time, because it creates constraints for storytelling that get in the way. Which means it's not a rule at all.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorgar Aurelian View Post
    so the question is should actors be excluded solely because of there race/sex even if they play the intended roll well just so some fans won’t stereotype them.
    Yes, the correct actor should be cast for the role, if it has to be specific ethnicity or shouldn't be certain ethnicities (discrimination is not inherently bad) - it should be it.

That's of course an ideal. Maybe that black actress was the best they had available, and they had to audition all actors regardless of the fitting to the character because woke. Maybe they didn't even think about it. Maybe they wanted her to be black - we don't know.

We have what we have. And I see no point in trying to conceal it, excuse it or otherwise justify. Like what's the point of that? Correct critique must be provided.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    Yes, the correct actor should be cast for the role, if it has to be specific ethnicity or shouldn't be certain ethnicities (discrimination is not inherently bad) - it should be it.

That's of course an ideal. Maybe that black actress was the best they had available, and they had to audition all actors regardless of the fitting to the character because woke. Maybe they didn't even think about it. Maybe they wanted her to be black - we don't know.

We have what we have. And I see no point in trying to conceal it, excuse it or otherwise justify. Like what's the point of that? Correct critique must be provided.
    So to you even if she’s the best actor they had she’s not the “correct actor” for this Sith archetype because she’s black and and some people will see a stereotype, also she may have only gotten a chance to addition at all because they were being woke even though they knew she wasn’t the “correct actor”.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

This feels like really poorly written and acted (for the most part) fanfic that manged to convince EM to be part of it. Mando still does it better. So far...

10+ Year Old Account
    So to you even if she’s the best actor they had she’s not the “correct actor” for this Sith archetype because she’s black and and some people will see a stereotype, also she may have only gotten a chance to addition at all because they were being woke even though they knew she wasn’t the “correct actor”.
    When you need a sports car but all you have is a tractor and a pickup truck. You choose the pickup truck, but it's not the correct choice. It's just the best choice you had.

The entire purpose of entertainment business is to entertain its audience, and to make money in the process.

So yes, you definitely should think about how your show will be received by your audience and that includes the cast.

But on the other hand there's marketing. And controversy money are good money.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

7+ Year Old Account
    When you need a sports car but all you have is a tractor and a pickup truck. You choose the pickup truck, but it's not the correct choice. It's just the best choice you had.

The entire purpose of entertainment business is to entertain its audience, and to make money in the process.

So yes, you definitely should think about how your show will be received by your audience and that includes the cast.

But on the other hand there's marketing. And controversy money are good money.
    This seems like such an incredibly limiting way to view making art.

Like by this same standard Jackson wouldn’t be the “correct actor” for mace Wendu even if he was the best one because Wendu falls into alot of stereotypes regarding black men being more aggressive and violent due to them writing the character to lean more to the dark side then most other jedi.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Jinpachi View Post
    This feels like really poorly written and acted (for the most part) fanfic that manged to convince EM to be part of it.
    McGregor is also executive producer, so convincing should not have been too hard.

I liked the first 2 episodes of Kenobi. I'll echo I'm not a fan of Reva but I like the other characters and hope to see Vader soon.

10+ Year Old Account
    This seems like such an incredibly limiting way to view making art.

Like by this same standard Jackson wouldn’t be the “correct actor” for mace Wendu even if he was the best one because Wendu falls into alot of stereotypes regarding black men being more aggressive and violent due to them writing the character to lean more to the dark side then most other jedi.
    You are dribbling. I didn't even see Jules in Jackson's performance of Windu, not to mention a black guy, he's that great an actor. I also don't remember anyone mentioning it.

And as for stereotypes: black guys are loud pussies, not aggressive and violent, they just puff their chests and get loud all talk no walk - pussies. Granted that gets them into a lot of trouble when the proverbial push comes to the actual shove.

Windu was real deal.

Reva is a bad character, rest are good. Young Leia's actress is surprisingly good. Feels the same sort of way that early Boba Fett did, so kind of worried how this would go down.

Also didn't Leia's dad say they had no leads? How did Obi-Wan known exactly what planet to go to? It doesn't look like the force told him.

I see the worse part of this show will be the fanbase trying to rip it to shreds. No need to check in here anymore.

7+ Year Old Account
    You are dribbling. I didn't even see Jules in Jackson's performance of Windu, not to mention a black guy, he's that great an actor. I also don't remember anyone mentioning it.

And as for stereotypes: black guys are loud pussies, not aggressive and violent, they just puff their chests and get loud all talk no walk - pussies. Granted that gets them into a lot of trouble when the proverbial push comes to the actual shove.

Windu was real deal.
    So pretty much your combined fondness of the actor and ignorance of what stereotype's black men have been plastered with since the 1700's give's him a free pass even though its the same thing.

I don't want to go any further off topic as to not bring mod's down on us but if you want some actual perspective on how black men are actually stereotyped this would be a good read and your not gonna find "loud pussies" in it.

Watched the episodes again. Reva almost behaves like what Anakin would’ve been as a ‘young Sith’. Impulsive, headstrong, wanting to do things his own way. Which then ties into Reva’s admiration of Anakin, and also her pursuit of Kenobi. I remember a lot of folk having an issue with how whiny/irrational Anakin was. Perhaps this characterisation of Reva is by design?

im 12 minutes into the first episode (just after the bar scene) and it already doesnt make sense. being able to use the Force does not make someone a jedi. but they claim to be hunting jedi. so do they just hunt anyone who shows some Force ability? thats bullshit. they are gonna klll half the population doing that lol.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    im 12 minutes into the first episode (just after the bar scene) and it already doesnt make sense. being able to use the Force does not make someone a jedi. but they claim to be hunting jedi. so do they just hunt anyone who shows some Force ability? thats bullshit. they are gonna klll half the population doing that lol.
    That's always been a bit of a blind spot for SW. In most materials you just have Jedi vs. Sith, as though there was no other choice for force users.

Some of the extended stuff gets more elaborate. There's other factions like the Witches of Dathomir, and so on. But there's never really been a coherent explanation as to what's going on with all the untrained, undiscovered force users around.

Maybe they just go with "if you're force sensitive but not trained, you basically can't do much" and leave it at that?

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    It’s always felt more like the force guides them to a teacher of one kind or another.
    Self-solving plot convenience?

Sold!

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Sith are supposed to be more confident and disciplined in their actions. They have their code, training, blah, blah. Inquisitors are mall cops in very expensive uniforms. Some marginally talented force-sensitives the Empire rounded up and tossed around until they had Stockholm Syndrome.

Reva acts the same way they act in every story they are in.

You can't expect them to be something they are not m to be. Obviously viewers might elevate the Inquisitors if they have never seen them before, though.
    Inquisitors have been whiny, edgy, supremely incompetent losers from the onset. I dunno why people think they should be different now. The only kinda sorta OK one was in Fallen Order and even then she was merely mediocre instead of bad.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    That's always been a bit of a blind spot for SW. In most materials you just have Jedi vs. Sith, as though there was no other choice for force users.

Some of the extended stuff gets more elaborate. There's other factions like the Witches of Dathomir, and so on. But there's never really been a coherent explanation as to what's going on with all the untrained, undiscovered force users around.

Maybe they just go with "if you're force sensitive but not trained, you basically can't do much" and leave it at that?
    They kinda touch on this in starwars comics where Luke meets a bunch of different force sensitives but almost none of them are as developed as the Jedi are so they are more or less limited to things like heightened senses, feelings that something is off and so on.

There are a handful of people luke meets who have learned to use the force in completely different ways then the Jedi have have some different powers because of it that are just as developed but have different limits Like with the living stone.
    Last edited by Lorgar Aurelian; 2022-05-30 at 08:42 PM.

After watching the second episode I’m left a bit confused by the storytelling choices made. The Inquisitors need to do something other than walk into rooms. The GI scolding Reeva continuously yet leaving her behind is baffling. The rooftop parkour felt too long and like the Laia chase ended up being unnecessary. Obi Wan also seems to be unable to do the thing he allegedly wants to do, which is train Luke. Disney seems to love Bacta tanks a lot.

its laughable that kenobi could hide as some meat cutter. its well established that people in that town are groveling idiots with low vocabulary. kenobi with his regal posture and stride, high vocab, clear diction, hatred of the uncivilized, stands out like a sore thumb. if an inquisitor didnt find him, hed get bullied, beaten up and killed by his co workers. he would fit in better as a clerk somewhere.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.