Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SinR View Post
    Priest/Mage/Rogue is a good start. Wonder what they'll do next?
    Warlock, Monk and Paladin. Shaman after that, and then you're just left with the problematic ones, Druid and DH.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitei View Post
    Warlock, Monk and Paladin. Shaman after that, and then you're just left with the problematic ones, Druid and DH.
    A cool way to introduce Warlocks to every race would be to make a handful of warlock only customizations, like red or green eyes, red skin for Orcs and Draenei etc. - they could even pack them together with DH customizations!

#TEAMGIRAFFE

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Atia View Post
    A cool way to introduce Warlocks to every race would be to make a handful of warlock only customizations, like red or green eyes, red skin for Orcs and Draenei etc. - they could even pack them together with DH customizations!
    there is no need for red skin and other shenanigans, those are signals of corruption, and warlocks usually have a hold on their power to not mutate like that.

Red skin for orcs and draeni could be a thing for DH yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Skytotem View Post
    So one of the new interviews announced that they plan to eventually roll out all races to all classes, but they'll be doing it gradually to make art assets and lore for the combos that don't make sense yet.

But the current plan is for all races to have access to Mages, Priests, and Rogues in 10.0

What do you think will be the lore impact from this broadening of options?
    stupid. Certain races should not be certain classes. Lore wise it does not make sense. But also race wise. Why have variation then if the best race is race x. No use for playing the class on a other race then.

Think as a holy infused lightforged warlock? or death knight? kinda does not make sense at all.

And are they going to make druid forms for all races? Or are we all getting kul tiran versions....just slight reskins . instead of full troll dino forms?

My guess is monk, then warlock, then shaman, then paladin, then demon hunter, and finally druid.

The reason for my ordering is:

* Monk is only unavailable to three races, all of which already have the unique monk animations. The only issue with monks for two of these three races is that their original starting experiences take place before Pandaria was revealed and monks became known to the world. The easiest workaround for this is to make goblin and worgen monks start in Exile's Reach. Lightforged don't need any special efforts made to allow monk.

* Warlocks require only lore additions and little to no asset updates to make available to all races. Little time or resources necessary to devote to them. If blizz wants to really fine tune it, they may want to devote time and resources to recoloring warlock abilities for some races.

* Shaman requires time and resources devoted to making racial totems for each race that can't already be shaman. Some races might be able to share totems with minor changes. For example, lightforged could probably use the same totem as regular draenei but the lightforged totems would have light themed coloring and visual effects on them.

* Paladin requires time and resources devoted to making racial mounts for each race that can't already be paladin. Some races might be able to share racial mounts with minor changes. Additional time and resources might be necessary if blizz wants to denote different sources of power. For example, void elf paladins may have void colored abilities rather than the typical light color.

* Demon Hunter requires time and resources devoted to porting unique demon hunter animations to non-elves. These animations can already be used by nightborne and void elves but other races cannot use these animations currently. Time and resources would also have to be devoted to making new demon forms for the non-elf races. Additionally, blizz may want to recolor demon hunter abilities to denote a different source of power than fel. For example, lightforged demon hunters might have light colored abilities in place of the typically fel green.

* Druid requires the most time and resources devoted due to needing to make racial specific forms for each race that doesn't currently have access to druid. Some races might be able to share racial druid forms with minor changes. For example, dwarf and dark iron druid forms could be the same but with different coloring and perhaps some flame/ember effects on the dark iron forms.
    Last edited by Kyriani; 2022-05-28 at 03:06 PM.

Warlocks will be before shamans and paladins since it's become expected that shamans have custom totems and paladins have a custom charger mount for every race.

Warlocks don't have any abilities that need customizations for any race. They just have lore considerations.
    Quote Originally Posted by AZSolii View Post
    "yes, let's piss him off because he loves his long hair. Let us twirl our evil mustaches amidst the background music of honky-tonk pianos! GENIUS!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Culexus View Post
    Yes i hate those sneaky account thieves that come to my house and steal my computer in order to steal some wow money! Those bastards! *shakes fist*

7+ Year Old Account
    Btw, I just realized a great way to justify Maghar and Lightforged Warlocks - glyphs that change their demons to be either light-forged (for Draenai) or void-touched (to represent the Shadowmoon). Things like Lightspawns, Ligthforged Succubus/Incubus or a voidy glyph for Infernals (using the Blasphemy model).

#TEAMGIRAFFE

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    At this point, nobody plays WoW for the lore anymore. The devs certainly don't care.
    Yeah, as much as I hate to say it, it's true. Lore is actually the single most important thing to me, but considering the shit lore we got last years it's masochistic to care anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by baskev View Post
    stupid. Certain races should not be certain classes. Lore wise it does not make sense. But also race wise. Why have variation then if the best race is race x. No use for playing the class on a other race then.

Think as a holy infused lightforged warlock? or death knight? kinda does not make sense at all.

And are they going to make druid forms for all races? Or are we all getting kul tiran versions....just slight reskins . instead of full troll dino forms?
    This is why they should be accompanied by cosmetic spell revamps and racial revamps.
    Twas brillig

Quote Originally Posted by Daronokk View Post
    Yeah, as much as I hate to say it, it's true. Lore is actually the single most important thing to me, but considering the shit lore we got last years it's masochistic to care anymore.
    That's why I favor rewriting most of the lore, rehashing races and classes into something more vibrant and dynamic. When neither devs nor those in charge of narrative give a damn anymore then all that Blizz has going for them is inertia, and that’s something that runs out.

This is why they should be accompanied by cosmetic spell revamps and racial revamps.
    yup.

And i think it takes away to much , from what a class/race combo is. It make everything to freaking bland.

10+ Year Old Account
    Somewhere between here and the sick, twisted world inside my head
    I personally don't like this idea. While I think more classes should be available to more races, like any race that can be both Warrior and Priest, should also be able to be a Paladin, I also feel making all classes available to all races kinda ruins the lore. Afterall, there is a lore reason certain classes aren't available to certain races.
    I do, however, like the idea of more classes that are integral to a certain race, similar to the Dracthyr Evoker, and can't be accessed by any other race.
    Void Elves should have an inate Void Wielder class, Worgen should have some wild beast class and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by baskev View Post

Race essentialism is not the way the industry is going. Basically the opposite, in fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Nadiru View Post
    Race essentialism is not the way the industry is going. Basically the opposite, in fact.
    The word is "homogenization."

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    The word is "homogenization."
    No, the term is "race essentialism" because that post is saying that race X should only be class Y (or be barred from class Y) because of innate factor Z.

So one of the new interviews announced that they plan to eventually roll out all races to all classes, but they'll be doing it gradually to make art assets and lore for the combos that don't make sense yet.

But the current plan is for all races to have access to Mages, Priests, and Rogues in 10.0

What do you think will be the lore impact from this broadening of options?
    I hate the idea of All races All classes. One of the things that attracts me to rpgs, fantasy games, is the diverse cultures, and how everyone brings something unique to the table, whether that's being a warrior/mage/priest or human/orc/undead, etc. Everyone gets to shine in their unique ways, to contrast.
    Making all races all classes erases that for me. The world becomes more boring and homogenized.
    It's a player convenience > lore/story decision, which I always dislike.
    I think that letting players take the wheel will strip it of everything that makes it special, but obviously many would not agree. Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugnomo View Post
    I hate the idea of All races All classes. One of the things that attracts me to rpgs, fantasy games, is the diverse cultures, and how everyone brings something unique to the table, whether that's being a warrior/mage/priest or human/orc/undead, etc. Everyone gets to shine in their unique ways, to contrast. Making all races all classes erases that for me. The world becomes more boring and homogenized. It's a player convenience > lore/story decision, which I always dislike. I think that letting players take the wheel will strip it of everything that makes it special, but obviously many would not agree. Just my opinion.
    The culture of respective races have never been fully fleshed out beyond the superficial. I for one would fully endorse a full write up of each race; the timeline, culture, heroes, gods, their respective taboos..

Quote Originally Posted by Nadiru View Post
    yup. And the industry is all about micro transactions, pay to win etc....does not mean its good. Or wanted.

Its shown in movies, tv shows and games. When you go bland, and with the masses. Your ( insert project) dies.

I'm all for opening up more races to be Shamans, Druids, and Paladins.

It's annoying that I have such limited options for those three.

10+ Year Old Account
    The races have no heritage any more. They have all been thrown into the Alliance or Horde melting pot. Their cultures, magics, technologies are shared amongst each other. What stops a Dwarf from deciding being a Demon Hunter is cool and aims to be one? What stops a Goblin from wanting to be a Druid? Sure it doesn't fit their race's society, but deviation from societal norms is currently the hottest of topics. If anything, the races that choose to be so different are no doubt the bravest ones of all.