Page 26 of 36 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    ST season 4 is pretty good with only a few moments that were to me slow and dragged on a bit. The jump scares, the villain, the throwbacks - All good.

However, I'm pretty pissed netflix cut off the last two episodes just for another month or two to pick at peoples wallets a little longer. It's a dick business move that has not normally be done and while I don't mind a busines making money, I do mind how they go about doing it. How netflix did this will make me cancel my sub after this. They should have released it all like they did in the past. Few people if any pay to steam content and then want to be drip fed it.

Quote Originally Posted by bledgor View Post
    That being said there were a few things I didn't care for, namely didn't care for Argyle, I didn't like the arc they did for Lucas, and some of the Eleven youth CGI was creepy looking. I kinda felt the s4 started like season 3 where the start/first 2 episodes were a bit slow for my taste. Also I believe they are trying to make Will gay, and while that doesn't bug me, I don't like the way they are making him pine for Mike, why can't people just be friends Hollywood, they have this issue with females and males so often don't need it the other ways either. Johnathan was pretty bleh to me the first 4 episodes as well.
    I agree with the Argyle assessment. The character is just totally out of place. As for the Will thing, I think you're reading too much into it. The Duffer Brothers are hugely inspired by Stephen King, and SK does a lot of "lost boy"-esque childhood-friends-trying-to-hold-onto-the-good days. Stand By Me, It, lots of his stories are about trying to hold onto friendship, and one person is always trying hardest - usually the one that holds on the most to the group and doesn't branch out, like Will.

Some other notes:
    1) I love D&D and the references were fun the first few seasons, but it's a little jarring hearing the villain being named after a canonical D&D villain who is very different from this villain. Always took me a little out of it, but jarring. Now that we know who he really is, I hope they'll start referring to him as One or whatever Creel's son's name was.
    2) Bets on what Nancy's favorite song is going to be?
    3) As I feared, the whole Russia storyline is......weak. In fact, the whole government storyline is weak. I don't know why the U.S. Army would believe what they believe, having seen what happened at Hawkins lab, I don't know why Paul Reiser's character would work with the s1 doctor, etc. As for the Russian angle, it seems like the whole point of it was to get responsible adults out of the picture so the kids could literally drive thousands of miles without being missed and have their own escapades without Joyce being her worried self. In fact, Joyce's actions seem very bizarre this season considering how worried she's been about Will in the past. The whole 7 episodes is about Hopper trying to escape Russia with only the loosest tie-in to the supernatural strong point of Stranger Things.
    4) The California arc is weak as well, once Eleven is gone from the scene. I actually really like the more emotional beats of El being bullied in school, feeling helpless, putting so much hope and emotion into Mike's visit, having it all blow up, etc. But then it took such a hard turn when Eleven left, and that whole arc feels very....overly drawn out. What, are they gonna drive all the way to Hawkins?

Predictions: Like you said, I think it's obvious someone major dies. Frankly, I think it's Will. It just makes sense because he mirrors One and the little monologue he does at the end of episode 7...alone, separate, unable to move on. They've built 3 seaons of Joyce mentally accepting the fact of her son being in mortal peril all the time, she now has Hopper to lean on when it happens, it'll be hard but the story dovetails nicely to Will being the one to die. It'll be a very D&D campaign esque thing where he needs to roll the Nat20 to win, and he does it. He is, after all, Will the Brave. That might be a s5 death (I didn't know there was a new season confirmed either), but it makes narrative sense. I do like the idea of Steve maybe being the one to bite it this season as well. He has some serious injuries and we don't know the ramifications of it, and as a character he's kind of run his course, he can ride off into the sunset as a legend.

I also didn't realize you youngins didn't know Kate Bush's "Running Up that Hill." Such a great song, worthy of the attention it's getting now.

- - - Updated - - -

It's also hilarious how they've totally dropped the Eight storyline completely and utterly, and that she was living in Detroit with other suped-up kids, which, as far as I know, is still unresolved from s2.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Could be, hope you are right.

1. Agree somewhat, think if they transition to calling him One I can be fine with Vecna.
    2. Going to swing wildly with Edge of Seventeen
    3. Agreed, like I said, I think Hopper had a good arc/end so wasn't too keen on him being back/that side plot.
    4.This to me is in part because Argyle is meh, Mike and Will are unable to communicate and Johnathan was always bleh to me but is even worse this season. The FBI guys entertained me more.

Also I didn't know Kate Bushes version I was introduced to Placebo's version.

Honestly don't mind the dropping of Eight, never cared for it.
    Last edited by bledgor; 2022-05-31 at 02:15 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    It's a strange and illogical world where not wanting your 10 year old daughter looking at female-identifying pre-op penises at the YMCA could feasibly be considered transphobic.

I think the Placebo version is definitely more well known among 90s and 00s kids, but the original was a banger in the 80s.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Right now, I expect 2, personally. Maaaaaybe late next year.
    I do as well.

Prior to the pandemic and it shutting down production on all the tv shows - Netflix "normal" was 1 1/2-2 years between new seasons for its shows. I expect that 'return to (their) normal post-pandemic as well.

Getting a new season out EVERY year was never something Netflix did very consistently (as I lamented every 'more than a year' I waited between new seasons of shows lol). HBO is good for that sort of schedule, and Amazon is between HBOmax and Netflix.

And as someone who hasn't been able to start Season 4 of Stranger Things just yet - thank you to the posters who are putting up spoiler marks even though they don't have to. Its appreciated! Its nice to be able to read the reviews without having to skim as carefully. (But I'm aware 'reader beware' every time I open a post launch thread, its on me! )
    Koriani - Guardians of Forever - BM Huntard on TB; Kharmic - Worgen Druid - TB
    Koriani - none - Dragon of Secret World
    Karmic - Moirae - SWTOR
    inactive: Frith-Rae - Horizons/Istaria; Koriani in multiple old MMOs. I been around a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    They should release it weekly, like other services. So instead of waiting 5 weeks, you’d have to wait for each and every episode.
    I can't agree with that. What made netflix better than most streaming services to me was them releasing a season all at once and not drip feeing me content that I pay to stream.
    Netflix should have stayed with their release it all at once move instead of trying to follow the others. It's one of the things that actually made them different from the others.

But to jump back on the topic.

Was anyone else wondering why they didn't explain how Brenner lived? I guess they could in the last two episodes but seems odd it's not been done already.
    Last edited by quras; 2022-05-31 at 07:13 PM.

Yeah, much appreciation for the spoiler tags. I'm going through S4 at my own pace this time around, especially if the last two eps are pushed to July.

Quote Originally Posted by quras View Post
    I can't agree with that. What made netflix better than most streaming services to me was them releasing a season all at once and not drip feeing me content that I pay to stream.
    Netflix should have stayed with their release it all at once move instead of trying to follow the others. It's one of the things that actually made them different from the others.

But to jump back on the topic.

Was anyone else wondering why they didn't explain how Brenner lived? I guess they could in the last two episodes but seems odd it's not been done already.
    I figured that Eleven was running out of juice at the end of season 1, so when she did the kill people move. It just hurt them a lot but didnt kill them.

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

Quote Originally Posted by BloodyAngel12 View Post
    I figured that Eleven was running out of juice at the end of season 1, so when she did the kill people move. It just hurt them a lot but didnt kill them.
    She didn't actually hit him with the telekinetic crush move. The Demogorgon jumped on him specifically in season 1 Ep 8 in the hallway scene as it came through the wall. It kills pretty fast.

10+ Year Old Account
    The S4 Vol.1 reveals and revelations probably shouldn't have surprised me, but they kinda did.

Peter gave off this creepy pedo vibe until the hallway standoff scene, when I DiCaprio pointed at the screen, like, "001!" I enjoyed the how the show pulled a "Oh, by the way, he's Henry, but surprise, bitches, he's really Vecna!"

Vol.2 can't come soon enough.

Robin's still #1 waifu, but more Eden channeling Ally Sheedy, please.
    Need Roll - 1 for [Bright Pink Imbued Mageweave Banana-Hammock] by Ayirasi

Quote Originally Posted by Ayirasi View Post

Robin's still #1 waifu, but more Eden channeling Ally Sheedy, please.
    Jesus, that's exactly who that character reminds me of. I always preferred Ally over Molly Ringwald in Breakfast Club.

10+ Year Old Account
    Jesus, that's exactly who that character reminds me of. I always preferred Ally over Molly Ringwald in Breakfast Club.
    Totally. That pre-makeover look just does it for me.
    Need Roll - 1 for [Bright Pink Imbued Mageweave Banana-Hammock] by Ayirasi

I love D&D and the references were fun the first few seasons, but it's a little jarring hearing the villain being named after a canonical D&D villain who is very different from this villain. Always took me a little out of it, but jarring.
    I didn't know this was a thing. Thanks for informing. Did some research after reading this.. I guess it is one of the strongest villains of the franchise. I have nothing against D&D, just didn't know people really into it growing up.

I am not done watching this season, but I am enjoying it so far.
    It is nice to see the cast again. I like some of them quite a bit. I like that they casted Tom Wlaschiha this season. Nice to see him in something again. "A girl has many faces"
    Last edited by Icelin; 2022-06-02 at 07:08 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I enjoyed this season way more than season 3. Season 3 was a bit of a chore to get through, but season 4 felt more fun.

Also Robin best character Dont @ me :P
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

Weirdly I thought s2 was the chore season for me. Very much a slog. s3 had the mall, and the Max and Billy storyline, and the introduction of Robin, who is great. Loved all that. The weak point of s3 (and s4) was all the Russian shit, tbh. Where s3 fell short on focusing on the mindflayer and its antics, s4 has done much better in terms of really focusing on the horror elements of Vecna. I'm almost annoyed any time they cut to Hopper/Joyce/Murray.

I thoroughly enjoyed S3. I remember a lot of people being quite down on S3 when it first came out though, people calling it the 'worst season yet' and all that. I mean I get that the first Season is still pretty damn hard to top, and S3 took quite a different direction with adding a lot more campy humor to it, but I enjoyed it nonetheless. I actually really like the in-your-face 80's nostalgia, and it works for me on repeat viewings.

So are Eleven and all the other psychic kids One's children?

S3 was very different tone wise so it's understandable why some people didn't like it. 2 was pretty good except for one episode so bad it basically tainted the entire season.

Season 4 has been amazing so far with the end of episodes 4 being a series highlight. I Can't wait to see how it ends.

Quote Originally Posted by Infinity Cubed View Post
    Uhm, I hate to break it to you but it's been a horror show since day one. Netflix and Google both has had it labeled as such its entire run. It just has elements from sci-fi, comedy, drama, and adventure shows mixed in, but at its heart it is and always has been a horror show.
    Elements of horror then.

Nevermind, a quick search seeing what Hollywood movies are categorized in the horror genre shows me I've been living under a rock for a while and my idea of horror is completely wrong. Maybe I should stop watching Liveleak style websites.
    Last edited by AidanJLowe; 2022-06-03 at 04:26 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    You haven’t finished watching this season yet.
    No because we got two feature length episodes to go which wont be out until July. But so far I like it more than season 3.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance