Page 26 of 89 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Koriani View Post
    Its not really the fault of the writers - but more the reality of this type of "prequel" show with characters who's fates are already set. There's only so much tension you're going to be able to create in any scene with Obi-Wan, Luke, Lea, Darth Vadar, etc. because we know they can't die. They can't be disappeared for a decade in a prison cell, they can't be maimed or hurt in any way that carries loss of limb or abilities in the future, etc. The minor characters can - but none of the characters the viewer *actually cares about* are ever in any real danger. Because we know they survive all this stuff, no matter what happens.
    You are 100% correct ... save for Vader on a technicality.

Vader cannot be killed, but he can face serious injuries. He gains additional injuries between the end of the PT and the OT that are known because of RotJ. We actually know he will face serious injury at some point.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    Only 3 episodes left...none so far has been 10/10, or anywhere near... I think there is no saving this show, like book of boba it's a failure.
    Failed at what?

They had a story they wanted told in six episodes. They told it. It aired. People watched.

It was never intended to run as an ongoing series, so they didn't 'fail' to get picked up or 'fail' to get enough numbers for a second season. It was never going to be more than six episodes.

Failed at getting more subscribers - or getting the engagement expected? Only Disney really knows that - none of us can make that call.

Failed at doing a "good job" telling the story it told? Well that's everyone's individual opinion to make. There are no "facts" about failure in such statements of opinion.

So far - I'd say its definitely better than BoBF. Not calling either a failure or a success, myself. But the two viewers in our household are definitely more engaged, and more entertained, by Obi-Wan so far than we ever were with BoBF. *shrugs*
    Koriani - Guardians of Forever - BM Huntard on TB; Kharmic - Worgen Druid - TB
    Koriani - none - Dragon of Secret World
    Karmic - Moirae - SWTOR
    inactive: Frith-Rae - Horizons/Istaria; Koriani in multiple old MMOs. I been around a long time.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    You think her lines are well written? They read like early internet fan fiction to me.
    Give me Shakespeare, and I'll read it to you in a way you'd scream bad writing.

Like "to be or not to be - that's the question!" instead of "to be... or... not to be... that IS the question." needless to say I can stand still delivering it, or try to, you know, act.

Same writing. Different outcome.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    Her character is written good. She has great lines. She even looks perfect for the part. Granted we don't know what her script says about acting direction and we didn't hear the director on set giving her instructions. But what we can say for sure that her lines are good and she looks perfect in her outfit.
    You are the first and only person I've met, in person or on the internet, to feel that she is a well written character and she is given "great lines."

Fine that you think that way - but try to understand - you are in the minority in seeing quality in what she's being given; but she's unable to capitalize on that quality.

Many seem to be saying while they may agree she's ALSO not a solid enough actor to 'make up for bad writing' - they are also identifying its ALSO bad writing.

And there is still a whole other party of people who are ONLY saying racist things. Not blaming her acting ability or the writing or the direction. But just being racist.
    Karmic - Moirae - SWTOR
    inactive: Frith-Rae - Horizons/Istaria; Koriani in multiple old MMOs. I been around a long time.

with only 6 episodes i think it would probably have been better to release them all at once. right now with only 3 episodes left it doesn't really feel like it's going to go anywhere satisfactory. had i waited til they where all out and i could watch them all in one session it would probably feel differently.
    I had fun once, it was terrible.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    You are 100% correct ... save for Vader on a technicality.

Vader cannot be killed, but he can face serious injuries. He gains additional injuries between the end of the PT and the OT that are known because of RotJ. We actually know he will face serious injury at some point.
    True - he can suffer serious injuries, but not death. Of course, the fact that he's already kept alive by non-natural mechanics and so already injured most of his body is already replaced - takes tension out of 'future serious injuries' as well. There's still the fun/interest of the lore in "ok HOW did XYZ injury, etc. happen!" and I'm all about that Lore, knowing 'why' just to know. I was certainly all into figuring out "Why Vadar is Vadar..." even if the explanation we got couldn't live up to the hype of wanting to know.

But along with that 'technicality' you mentioned - brings up another issue affecting tension in the show. Or in any Star Wars show/movie.

Tension is removed for ANYONE's Death as "real death". Because the series (Star Wars as a whole) has proven time and again, that whenever it wants, it can resurrect pretty much any character, from any sort of death, due to the miracle of modern robotics, bacta tanks, and the Force.

It starts to get a bit silly, feels like to me, watching a show, and even when someone dies, actively thinking "Or he's really not - who knows; he's only dead in the future if they don't have another story they want to use him in." Something I don't really think very often when watching other programs or movies (as I don't watch a lot of soap operas or other tv shows where killing/but not killing characters is a regular thing.)

Nothing any director or writer can do anything about at this juncture. But its a reality they all have to 'deal with' when trying to create "tension" at all in these sorts of shows. And why, when these 'prequel' sorts of shows don't succeed at "creating tension" I also don't blame them (the writers/directors/actors). Its the nature of the prequel beast you're working with.

Much like in the newest prequel Star Trek: Strange New Worlds. You can throw Uhura and Spock into all the death-risking/suicidal-mission scenarios you want, but there is zippo tension for me the viewer, because I know nothing's going to happen to them. Which in turn just makes me wish they NOT use canon characters for 'tension' in episodes, because its impossible for it to work. While also understanding its hard to create tension with non-canon characters because, unless you have at least a few episodes under your belt, no one /cares/ about those characters, either.

I don't envy these directors and writers - its an almost impossible challenge to create that tension in these shows. So I give them the benefit of the doubt, rather than judging them too harshly. At least for THIS issue. =D
    Last edited by Koriani; 2022-06-01 at 05:56 PM.
    Karmic - Moirae - SWTOR

10+ Year Old Account
    You are the first and only person I've met, in person or on the internet, to feel that she is a well written character and she is given "great lines."

Fine that you think that way - but try to understand - you are in the minority in seeing quality in what she's being given; but she's unable to capitalize on that quality.

Many seem to be saying while they may agree she's ALSO not a solid enough actor to 'make up for bad writing' - they are also identifying its ALSO bad writing.

And there is still a whole other party of people who are ONLY saying racist things. Not blaming her acting ability or the writing or the direction. But just being racist.
    Contrary to popular belief there are very few people who can judge the quality of writing simply by watching a couple of episodes of the show.

But let me give you an example. At the end of the second episode. Reva (her name btw reminds me of revving - which seems to be her modus histrionia) does a lot of great exposition while she goads Kenobi. But she is not in the frame. She cannot act visually. So she must rely on voice alone. On the delivery of lines. But you see, I learned about that exposition (How Reva knows about Anakin being Vader) from the INTERNET. I had to rewatch, and couldn't believe that I missed those lines. The silent acting of Ewan diluted her voice performance when I watched it the first time.

Just watch every scene with her and grand inquisitor to see the difference in acting. No character differences can account for that. Unless her character is supposed to be a petulant child hissy-fitting. But remember even if her script says something along those lines (we don't know character's backstory, she does) it's the actor's job to give it life. And the fact that it ended up on screen - doesn't mean it's automatically what the writers had in mind. Maybe it's the best she could do.

And we as the consumers have a right to voice our discontent.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

True - he can suffer serious injuries, but not death. Of course, the fact that he's already kept alive by non-natural mechanics and so already injured most of his body is already replaced - takes tension out of 'future serious injuries' as well. There's still the fun/interest of the lore in "ok HOW did XYZ injury, etc. happen!" and I'm all about that Lore, knowing 'why' just to know. I was certainly all into figuring out "Why Vadar is Vadar..." even if the explanation we got couldn't live up to the hype of wanting to know.

But along with that 'technicality' you mentioned - brings up another issue affecting tension in the show. Or in any Star Wars show/movie.

Tension is removed for ANYONE's Death as "real death". Because the series (Star Wars as a whole) has proven time and again, that whenever it wants, it can resurrect pretty much any character, from any sort of death, due to the miracle of modern robotics, bacta tanks, and the Force.

It starts to get a bit silly, feels like to me, watching a show, and even when someone dies, actively thinking "Or he's really not - who knows; he's only dead in the future if they don't have another story they want to use him in." Something I don't really think very often when watching other programs or movies (as I don't watch a lot of soap operas or other tv shows where killing/but not killing characters is a regular thing.)

Nothing any director or writer can do anything about at this juncture. But its a reality they all have to 'deal with' when trying to create "tension" at all in these sorts of shows.
    Star Wars was never Game of Thrones where death of main characters is part of the plot.
    Depending on the direction Disney goes Obi-Wan can branch out massive new interesting story's between eps 3 and eps 4 just like what the Mandalorianis doing,

- - - Updated - - -

On the delivery of lines. But you see, I learned about that exposition (How Reva knows about Anakin being Vader) from the INTERNET. I had to rewatch, and couldn't believe that I missed those lines. The silent acting of Ewan diluted her voice performance when I watched it the first time.
    I didn't miss that personally but I will agree that the amount of weight was kind of non existing but that's the script and not the actor.
    We as a audience know that Anakin = Vader and that Vader is alive but we don't really know the reputation of Vader at this point and how much of a secret it really is.

Maybe because the show is only 6 eps but Vader didn't really receive that much of a buildup, unlike the Rebbels cartoons counterpart.

7+ Year Old Account
    Give me Shakespeare, and I'll read it to you in a way you'd scream bad writing.

Like "to be or not to be - that's the question!" instead of "to be... or... not to be... that IS the question." needless to say I can stand still delivering it, or try to, you know, act.

Same writing. Different outcome.
    And yet all the inquisitor are giving cheesy ass dialogue and all are equally bad.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ati87 View Post
    I didn't miss that personally but I will agree that the amount of weight was kind of non existing but that's the script and not the actor.
    We as a audience know that Anakin = Vader and that Vader is alive but we don't really know the reputation of Vader at this point and how much of a secret it really is.

Maybe because the show is only 6 eps but Vader didn't really receive that much of a buildup, unlike the Rebbels cartoons counterpart.
    No, it's not the script, because it's quite clear (to star wars fans at least) what scene they were inspired by, and they tried to recreate it, but in their version Moses failed to do what James Earl Jones did (with less lines). It's not post, it's not sound design. She speaks clearly. But it was not enough to keep me engaged with her voice to glean the exposition from it.

That coupled with the fact that the director really tried to rev up the Reva character with all those batmaneqsue/catwomanesque style catwalking in the gothamesque night city. Look at her, she's so cool, she does all this unnecessary stuff that slows her down - and still managed to catch up with Kenobi without even knowing where he was. She is a force user - but still needs parkour to drop to the street level or jump across.

And that doesn't connect with her acting. The stuntwoman does a great job I guess.

7+ Year Old Account

Nothing any director or writer can do anything about at this juncture. But its a reality they all have to 'deal with' when trying to create "tension" at all in these sorts of shows. And why, when these 'prequel' sorts of shows don't succeed at "creating tension" I also don't blame them (the writers/directors/actors). Its the nature of the prequel beast you're working with.

Much like in the newest prequel Star Trek: Strange New Worlds. You can throw Uhura and Spock into all the death-risking/suicidal-mission scenarios you want, but there is zippo tension for me the viewer, because I know nothing's going to happen to them. Which in turn just makes me wish they NOT use canon characters for 'tension' in episodes, because its impossible for it to work. While also understanding its hard to create tension with non-canon characters because, unless you have at least a few episodes under your belt, no one /cares/ about those characters, either.

I don't envy these directors and writers - its an almost impossible challenge to create that tension in these shows. So I give them the benefit of the doubt, rather than judging them too harshly. At least for THIS issue. =D
    I understand that, but none of this really hurt The Clone Wars series where we knew two of the three main cast members and 2 of the 3 major villains will survive the series. We also knew many supporting characters like Cody would survive. It was only secondary characters that ran the risk of dying. We knew Anakin couldn't die, we knew Obi-wan couldn't die. In the final season, we knew Ahsoka and Maul couldn't die so we knew they would survive.

It is a problem with prequels in general. So, fan knowledge is always going to reduced any tension.

And yeah, Star Wars has had a problem both in legends and Disney Canon with characters staying dead. I mean, Maul was literally too angry to die.
    –The Sith Code

10+ Year Old Account
    Vader just felt off somehow in the third episode. Can't put my finger on it but even him just sitting I found myself looking at his posture and it felt weird. Not sure how else I expected Vader to sit but still

Maybe it's because I'm not a little kid anymore and the suit is kinda goofy now but he does feel different in Rebels, Rogue One and even when he showed up in Fallen Order he had this presence that I'm just not getting here.

Maybe it's just me though, not trying to complain or anything.

Do hope Reva meets her end soon, just not interested in the character and it's a damn shame they sacrificed the Grand Inquisitor to make room for her. Even the Asian guy from Fast and Furious has a more interesting character imo.
    Subarashii chin chin mono
    Kintama no kami aru

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanguinerd View Post
    Vader just felt off somehow in the third episode. Can't put my finger on it but even him just sitting I found myself looking at his posture and it felt weird. Not sure how else I expected Vader to sit but still

https://i.imgur.com/TXP46lA.jpg

Maybe it's because I'm not a little kid anymore and the suit is kinda goofy now but he does feel different in Rebels, Rogue One and even when he showed up in Fallen Order he had this presence that I'm just not getting here.

Maybe it's just me though, not trying to complain or anything.

Do hope Reva meets her end soon, just not interested in the character and it's a damn shame they sacrificed the Grand Inquisitor to make room for her. Even the Asian guy from Fast and Furious has a more interesting character imo.
    I get the feeling his n the inquisitors armor looks like new...plastic rather than metal, which ruins the look for me..

Costume design has been great in everything else in this show, but not that part...it looks like, well, cosplayers wearing darth vader n inquisitor outfits...like cheaper versions than what you would get from the studios.. ever since first kenobi episode with the inquisitors on tattoine, their armor has felt off...like Lucasfilm decided to save some money..they took a short-cut...which is sad..

Feels like plastic to me, budget suit...it's jarring on the eyes, takes me out of the show at once..

Even the leather, looks rubbery...and too spotless..

They cut corners, fer sure!
    Last edited by Ihavewaffles; 2022-06-01 at 11:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanguinerd View Post
    Vader just felt off somehow in the third episode. Can't put my finger on it but even him just sitting I found myself looking at his posture and it felt weird.
    Felt the opposite, kind of.

He felt VERY intimidating. The silence. The stride. The ruthlessness.

Makes the OG trilogy Vader look like a pompous bully by comparison

I honestly feel that Reva's character would have been better if she was more subdued, but still passionate about finding obi-wan, hiding her hatred and feelings behind a mask of obedience.

She seems to have a history of acting this way, which makes me wonder why the grand inquisitor takes her anywhere or has her assigned to important missions. They even go out of their way to point out how ALL the inquisitors think she is beneath them, but she is still doing important work. Narrative wise I dont feel that makes sense, especially with her insubordination.

10+ Year Old Account
    Highlight: Mucking about with the control panel for a laser gate instead of walking 5 feet around it.
    Need Roll - 1 for [Bright Pink Imbued Mageweave Banana-Hammock] by Ayirasi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayirasi View Post
    Highlight: Mucking about with the control panel for a laser gate instead of walking 5 feet around it.
    Yeah, that was hilarious

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Valkyrst View Post
    She's been absolutely fine. Is the character boring? Sure. Is that the actor's fault? No.
    Well, the writing really sucks but that's all over this series. As said earlier, I think it's a combo, bad dialogue combined with bad acting. And she's not the only one but she gets a lot of screentime.
    But the racial abuse she gets over it is sick.

The Grand Inquisitor has been a huge disappointment, and the cutthroat power hungry edginess of the rest is funny but not very compelling in the end tbh. I hope they got a really good twist for Reva, cause her writing is very shallow atm.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've been liking the show so far.

I think Reva is a little over the top right now, but in this last episode she was way better.

She really does embody the sith mindset IMHO.

Violent, eager, ambitious and a Backstabber to boot.

Let's see how it develops. But so far it has been enjoyable enough
    I don't want solutions. I want to be mad. - PoorlyDrawnlines

I hope they have better location scouting for their next encounter, that quarry gave off “college film project” vibes.