necromancy of diferent cosmic forces

death Necromancy

light necromancy

life necromancy

void necromancy

fel necromancy

at this moment I don't remember arcane but it sure exists
    Quote Originally Posted by The Stormbringer View Post
    Arcane does exist. There was a member of the Council of Tirisfal, Meryl Felstorm, who kept himself alive with pure arcane power. He pretty much just looks like a well-preserved Forsaken though.

https://wowpedia.fandom.com/wiki/Meryl_Felstorm
    Last edited by Rhlor; 2022-06-02 at 05:40 PM.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Arcane does exist. There was a member of the Council of Tirisfal, Meryl Felstorm, who kept himself alive with pure arcane power. He pretty much just looks like a well-preserved Forsaken though.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhlor View Post
    death Necromancy

light necromancy

life necromancy

void necromancy

fel necromancy

at this moment I don't remember arcane but it sure exists
    I think Sunwell's Felmist (undead dragon) is another good example, especially as it was not as clearly intentionally orchestrated as Mannoroth's botched resurrection.

Also the void dino was more of a void-posessed golem if i recall correctly, you might have better luck looking at WoD's Ner'zhul for examples of that.

And though the Botani certainly have mind control stuff and zombies, i'm not sure it's necromancy, as in: I'm not sure they involve a soul or if it's just a plant puppetting a half-consumed corpse.
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Slam must be destroyed.

Meryl became undead, possibly with the help of an arcane. Aegwynn also resurrected Medivh. As an example of resurrection with Life, it would be more logical to take the example of Krasus, who raised the corpse of a goblin. However, the example of plant zombies doesn't quite fit, as they aren't fully resurrected, the plants inside them make them move. Another example of being resurrected by the Void is Ner'zhul in AU Draenor, or that Onyxia and Nefarian were resurrected by N'zoth's servants.

I saw people react to the dialogue between Calia and the lich from Maldraxxus and they said that this is some kind of nonsense and this is a new lore or something like that. What a jerks, right? We knew that any power can resurrect the undead for a very long time, it's not the fault of the developers that someone does not know this.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Margrave is right, Necromancy is just a word. You make the dead act again. No strings pulling the flesh, no resurrection - the dead flesh lives again, yet remains dead.

This is the once-in-a-lifetime good lore Blizzard produces. Interesting!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by darkoms View Post
    the example of plant zombies doesn't quite fit, as they aren't fully resurrected, the plants inside them make them move.
    the plant zombies in draenor aren't being controlled by the plants, the dead flesh moves by becoming part plant. The Botani's life magic fundamentally changes the living and the dead. There's even a Dark Ranger researching it because it's almost the same shit the Scourge did with their necromancy.

Quote Originally Posted by A Chozo View Post
    Margrave is right, Necromancy is just a word. You make the dead act again. No strings pulling the flesh, no resurrection - the dead flesh lives again, yet remains dead.

- - - Updated - - -

the plant zombies in draenor aren't being controlled by the plants, the dead flesh moves by becoming part plant. The Botani's life magic fundamentally changes the living and the dead. There's even a Dark Ranger researching it because it's almost the same shit the Scourge did with their necromancy.
    ''The botani have long cultivated unique plantlife in their irrigated ponds or tree dwellings, but far more terrifying is their ability to cultivate flora within a living host. Unwary natives are captured and seeded in an agonizing process that alters their physical makeup and takes complete control over their bodies, turning them into mindless walking saplings.

he infested appear to be mere husks animated by plant life.''

Quote Originally Posted by loras View Post
    I think Sunwell's Felmist (undead dragon) is another good example, especially as it was not as clearly intentionally orchestrated as Mannoroth's botched resurrection.

Also the void dino was more of a void-posessed golem if i recall correctly, you might have better luck looking at WoD's Ner'zhul for examples of that.

And though the Botani certainly have mind control stuff and zombies, i'm not sure it's necromancy, as in: I'm not sure they involve a soul or if it's just a plant puppetting a half-consumed corpse.
    Yeah, reanimation or necromancy is the question. I thought the botani one was more of a mind control/zombie than it was necromancy. I guess necromancy in WoW is making sure a soul is intact.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    ''The botani have long cultivated unique plantlife in their irrigated ponds or tree dwellings, but far more terrifying is their ability to cultivate flora within a living host. Unwary natives are captured and seeded in an agonizing process that alters their physical makeup and takes complete control over their bodies, turning them into mindless walking saplings.
    Exactly, it completely changes the living or dead flesh, altering the physical makeup and taking control over the body.

Under Sin'dane's very simple description it's necromancy. Not sure why you are confused.

- - - Updated - - -

But the Forsaken are humans and their souls brought back to life in their own body. The scourge are soulless animated skeletons and corpses. Except for the sanlayn and liches.

But is a golem not a better minion than an actual sentient undead who could regain free-will?

It seems like Magister Umbric and his Ren'dorei have discovered the secret to ultimate necromancy.

Ultimate necromancy, the kind of necromancy that provides the best possible servant. An animated corpse, with no soul attached to it, thus with no risk of it regaining free-will.

The downfall of necromancers has always been their creation regaining free-will and turning against them. The ability to reanimate a dead corpse without attaching any free-thinking soul to it seems to be unprecedented and incredible.

The Forsaken and the Cult of the Damned have always been associated with necromancy, but as new powers rise, it might turn out that the Void actually possesses the most powerful form of necromancy imaginable.
    Last edited by Varodoc; 2022-06-02 at 05:20 PM.

Exactly, it completely changes the living or dead flesh, altering the physical makeup and taking control over the body.

Under Sin'dane's very simple description it's necromancy. Not sure why you are confused.
    Because the difference is that they are not raised by magic alone, but that they are controlled by plants. It reminds me of the fungus that exists in our world and that inspired the creators of Last of Us.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    But is a golem not a better minion than an actual sentient undead who could regain free-will?

It seems like Magister Umbric and his Ren'dorei have discovered the secret to ultimate necromancy.

Ultimate necromancy, the kind of necromancy that provides the best possible servant. An animated corpse, with no soul attached to it, thus with no risk of it regaining free-will.

The downfall of necromancers has always been their creation regaining free-will and turning against them. The ability to reanimate a dead corpse without attaching any free-thinking soul to it seems to be unprecedented and incredible.

The Forsaken and the Cult of the Damned have always been associated with necromancy, but as new powers rise, it might turn out that the Void actually possesses the most powerful form of necromancy imaginable.
    Oh god damn again. Can you get through a day without jacking off the Void? Necromancers have ALWAYS been able to raise mindless undead, Sylvanas literally raised several skeletons during the Battle of Lordaeron. On the contrary, raising a corpse and recovering its soul is considered a much more impressive feat and an advanced version of necromancy, as it allows the creation of more powerful and intelligent servants. If you want a dumb soldier who can't even handle a regular footman, then yes, just lifting the skeleton is what you need. And if you need someone like DK, Lich or Frostwyrm...

Because the difference is that they are not raised by magic alone, but that they are controlled by plants. It reminds me of the fungus that exists in our world and that inspired the creators of Last of Us.
    Just have to be careful because some life in the Warcraft cosmos has a magical genesis. Species like Tauren, Trolls, and Elves are the result of abiogenesis and human, dwarves, gnomes are a result of magical genesis. Not sure which is true of the botani.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Because the difference is that they are not raised by magic alone, but that they are controlled by plants
    Necromancy doesn't stop being Necromancy just because there's more than magic involved. It is the art of animating unliving flesh.

What controls it is irrelevant. Thaddius was partially assisted by technology to move.

Sin'dane's definition is so bloody simple and basic that stuff like infestation can straight out be called Necromancy.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh god damn again. Can you get through a day without jacking off the Void? Necromancers have ALWAYS been able to raise mindless undead, Sylvanas literally raised several skeletons during the Battle of Lordaeron. On the contrary, raising a corpse and recovering its soul is considered a much more impressive feat and an advanced version of necromancy, as it allows the creation of more powerful and intelligent servants. If you want a dumb soldier who can't even handle a regular footman, then yes, just lifting the skeleton is what you need. And if you need someone like DK, Lich or Frostwyrm...
    DK and Liches have their souls, frostwyrms are just reanimated dragon skeletons. Even though something as large and powerful as a frostwyrm is probably more advanced than an animal or human skeleton.

Would we count Bolvar as created with life necromancy? The strain of blight that killed him was meant to kill living and undead alike, not reanimate. It's the flames of life from the red dragonflight that animated him, possibly in conjunction with the Lich King retrieving his corpse and directly raising him later

necromancy is the art of reanimating a body using magic. There can be different levels of necromancy, one where the body is just a reanimated puppet and others where it maintains its soul and consciousness

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by The Stormbringer View Post

yes all cosmic forces can do necromancy

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Korsha View Post
    Would we count Bolvar as created with life necromancy? The strain of blight that killed him was meant to kill living and undead alike, not reanimate. It's the flames of life from the red dragonflight that animated him, possibly in conjunction with the Lich King retrieving his corpse and directly raising him later
    Isn't he in the brink of life and death? Plague almost killed him, flames immolated him and stopped him from dying. The same flames on those who actually died from the plague did nothing except purge the poison in the surfaces and air.

Has he actually died for him to be considered "unliving flesh"?

Don't forget all the necromancy the blood trolls used with the help of G'huun. Not sure what that "blood magic" counts as, but it seemed to be sourced from an "Old God".
    In the same BFA-vein, the Drust were using necromatic/soul magic of sorts for their wicker figures (the Matrons also didn't look particularly ..."lively"...) - yet we know Drust magics were somehow tied to life magics due to their druidic capacities.
    Last edited by Villager720; 2022-06-02 at 05:48 PM.

- - - Updated - - -

botani mind control!!

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

in the new questline we have to kill some mindless skeletons created by sylvanas

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Villager720 View Post
    the Drust were using necromatic/soul magic of sorts for their wicker figures (the Matrons also didn't look particularly ..."lively"...) - yet we know Drust magics were somehow tied to life magics due to their druidic capacities.
    Drust use Celtic magic for necromancy. The celts were notoriously known for their skeleton armies.