461 80.88%
  • Exit game

109 19.12%
Page 23 of 37 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cparle87 View Post
    Idiots, imbeciles, and morons used to be legitimate medical terms used to denote people in certain IQ ranges. Then the masses got ahold of them and they lost their original meaning to the point the medical community gave up the terms.
    This is not quite correct.

Idiot is an a very ancient term (deriving from Ancient Greek basically meaning a private citizen but also being used to imply someone who was a bit dim) that long-predates modern medicine and indeed any attempt to systematize mental illness or deficiency. From the 1300s onwards it was used to mean both people with mental disabilities and to insult people.

Imbecile is a bit more of obscure in origin, but is used first seemingly as an insult, albeit on implying a general weakness of character and body. It starts being used regularly as a general insult long before modern medicine appears.

Both were terms that medicine decided to then use with a more precise/technical meaning in the 1800s/1900s. So the actual chain of events is insult/descriptor then medicine appears and adopts the term to describe a more technical condition, but society keeps using it as an insult, and maybe even does it more after the medical definition.

Moron, however, you are correct about - the first known usage is medical, and it was then used as an insult.
    "A youtuber said so."

"... some wow experts being interviewed..."

"According to researchers from Wowhead..."

I keep asking, gonna ask again - how is this different from before? why does anyone care about this?

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Caprias View Post
    This pretty much, this "social contract" has been pretty much in the ToS for years now everyone also accepted.

But guess what? It doesn't matter if their enforcement is trash as we've also seen for years.
    The social contract is slightly more expansive than the TOS terms (leaning a bit more towards how FFXIV lays things out), but yeah, unless they enforce it, it's 100% meaningless. And it's hard to see how they could possibly enforce it without hiring large numbers of CSRs, which I'm not seeing any evidence that they're doing.

Also, if they do enforce it, it'll be very noticeable, because we'll see a lot of people raging about being "unfairly" suspended/banned all of a sudden.

Honestly I think they should hire a large number of CSRs on a two-year contract, enforce the hell out of it, and then after those two years they can retain whatever number of CSRs they need to keep things working. It'll inevitably be lower than the number they initially hired, because the "culture change" bit will be the hard part, as guys who have thought that attacking and insulting people was fine, even encouraged, gradually work out it no longer is. Doubt they'll do anything that basic/obvious/sensible though.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Forteofgray View Post
    I keep asking, gonna ask again - how is this different from before? why does anyone care about this?
    No-one who behaves even mildly normally should care or is likely to be impacted, but WoW has a culture of people who think it's okay to trash others to their face. Whilst screaming racist/homophobic abuse in chat has always been a good way to catch a suspension, the Social Contract makes it very clear this applies to any language which targets "identity", and calls out as examples race, gender or ability.

(Ability in this context likely means whether one is considered disabled or not rather than play-skill. That would include stuff like autism/ADHD/etc.)

So there are bunch of people out there sweating like that Key and Peele gif because they like to called people "retards" or "spastics", "autists", "ADHD kids" or the like, to say that all female players are X or Y ("bad" and/or "sluts"), to insult people with terms like "tranny" or whatever, which under the old TOS, were sort of in a grey zone in that they didn't definitely violate it, and you might well escape any consequences for using them, it was entirely on the GM/CSR in question.

You can see the old TOS here: https://www.blizzard.com/en-gb/legal...ense-agreement

Whereas under the Social Contract, they're explicitly called out as not allowed. So whilst enforcement is likely to remain lax, if a GM/CSR sees that sort of language, they're now going to default to suspending/banning you, rather than defaulting to not because they were unsure it reached the bar of "Harassment, “griefing,” abusive behavior or chat".

Additionally to the section saying what's not allowed, the Social Contract also has a general "Don't be a dick" section, which is clearly not enforceable (it's couched as a suggestion), but which makes a lot of the more unpleasant players out there feel bad, because it's basically a list of stuff that's the opposite of how they act, and they're getting really mad because it's making them feel bad.

It's still vastly less stringent than FFXIV. In FFXIV you can catch a suspension, for example, for demanding someone play a specific way. Like, if you threw a fit because someone wasn't spec'd the way you wanted them to be in a PuG in FFXIV, even if you avoided swearing/abuse, and were just annoying, you could face time off.
    Last edited by Eurhetemec; 2022-05-22 at 04:18 PM.
    "A youtuber said so."

Quote Originally Posted by Eurhetemec View Post
    The social contract is slightly more expansive than the TOS terms (leaning a bit more towards how FFXIV lays things out), but yeah, unless they enforce it, it's 100% meaningless. And it's hard to see how they could possibly enforce it without hiring large numbers of CSRs, which I'm not seeing any evidence that they're doing.

Also, if they do enforce it, it'll be very noticeable, because we'll see a lot of people raging about being "unfairly" suspended/banned all of a sudden.

Honestly I think they should hire a large number of CSRs on a two-year contract, enforce the hell out of it, and then after those two years they can retain whatever number of CSRs they need to keep things working. It'll inevitably be lower than the number they initially hired, because the "culture change" bit will be the hard part, as guys who have thought that attacking and insulting people was fine, even encouraged, gradually work out it no longer is. Doubt they'll do anything that basic/obvious/sensible though.
    I hope they've already done it in some way (even though that'd have been noticeable since job postings are public) and start swinging the banhammer with 9.2.5, so this social contract is just pretty much a warning.

Pretty sure that's just daydreaming on my part though.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Caprias View Post
    I hope they've already done it in some way (even though that'd have been noticeable since job postings are public) and start swinging the banhammer with 9.2.5, so this social contract is just pretty much a warning.

Pretty sure that's just daydreaming on my part though.
    I mean, that would be the sensible thing to do, yes. Give people a few weeks to take it on board and get their act together, then start swinging when they don't. But like you I am skeptical this will happen.

There is a possibility job postings wouldn't be visible if Blizzard was contracting other companies to provide the extra CSRs (rather than hiring individuals), but like I too suspect I am daydreaming on that.
    "A youtuber said so."

10+ Year Old Account
    I still don't see the obstacle this supposedly presents to people.

You either agree to the terms, don't care about the terms, or don't have to worry about breaking the terms of this contract (because you aren't a "toxic douchebag")and you click "Yes" anyway.

You either don't agree or don't care about the terms, click "Yes" anyway, and proceed to be your normal self in-game. Whether that is a "toxic douchebag" or not.

Is there a belief that Blizzard is all of a sudden going to go sicko mode on policing in-game interactions and behaviors? Because they're not.

15+ Year Old Account
    Gonna click accept but it won't change anything about my behavior
    ( ° ͜ʖ͡°)╭∩╮

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    The fun factor would go up 1000x if WQs existed in vanilla

So, essentially, people who have a tendency to be hostile are outraged that they may have to face the consequences of their actions and are acting like the sky is falling? Got it.

There is a thick line between being a fucking douchebag and kissing random peoples' asses. Unless you have a hard time not oozing cruelty I doubt this will affect you.

Quote Originally Posted by Drudi View Post
    What if I want to play a game - a non-sexually oriented game, mind it, and definitely not a deviant-oriented game - without ever seeing those "LGBT slogans"?
    What if people want to play the game without any heterosexual-oriented slogans?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Forteofgray View Post
    So, essentially, people who have a tendency to be hostile are outraged that they may have to face the consequences of their actions and are acting like the sky is falling? Got it.

There is a thick line between being a fucking douchebag and kissing random peoples' asses. Unless you have a hard time not oozing cruelty I doubt this will affect you.
    Its not even that, considering that most of the prohibited actions in the social contract are already prohibited via the TOS and will get them banned while the recommendations are more like, how to be a more friendly player and foster a nicer community. Which I guess triggers them because it reminds them of the fact that most places on the internet are not taking their toxicity anymore, just as IRL didn't when it pushed those guys into their basements to never show their boney faces again.

Quote Originally Posted by Surfd View Post
    Ahh yes.

On the Left you have legitimate issues of concern, such as Oppression of Women and the continuing global rise of Fascist Governments.
    On the Right you have a collection of insane conspiracy theories.

TOTALLY the same.
    YOU need to get off of CNN and MSNBC. The real world is far different than the disingenuous nonsense you just parroted from those two.

I grow weary of breast milk thieves dictating morality to me...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Diaphin View Post
    What if people want to play the game without any heterosexual-oriented slogans?

- - - Updated - - -

Its not even that, considering that most of the prohibited actions in the social contract are already prohibited via the TOS and will get them banned while the recommendations are more like, how to be a more friendly player and foster a nicer community. Which I guess triggers them because it reminds them of the fact that most places on the internet are not taking their toxicity anymore, just as IRL didn't when it pushed those guys into their basements to never show their boney faces again.
    Look at league of legends to see how accommodations would work out in wow.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mysterymask View Post
    It depends on context

Describing yourself: ok
    In a factual statement of the subject: generally fine
    As an insult: not ok
    Technically, using anything as an insult isn't okay
    This world don't give us nothing. It be our lot to suffer... and our duty to fight back.

Quote Originally Posted by Maljinwo View Post
    Technically, using anything as an insult isn't okay
    I wish the internet didn't become that... we had one of the most free is liberating inventions every created and people couldn't help but drag their personal lives all over it like a dog with toilet paper stuck to its ass.

I miss the old anonymous internet before it was coopted by arm chair activists and the most insufferable of snowflakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Celement View Post
    I grow weary of breast milk thieves dictating morality to me...

- - - Updated - - -

Look at league of legends to see how accommodations would work out in wow.
    Hmm do you guys think those employees were psychic and froze some of that milk. With the baby formula shortage going? On a serious note I hope the shortage gets resolved sooner than later. As for the other matter of the employees I'm sure they all foam at the mouth and are ravenous people. I heard none of these women folk have ever worked a day in their life at that company. (Or that none are currently working there now.) Don't you go supporting Blizzard now, ya hear? By golly, make sure to generalize, stereotype, criticize and ostracize people. That be some forward thinking. (Sarcasm, if it is not transparent.)

I don't know about LoL. All I know is they are known as one of the biggest ceasepools of toxic behaviour. (I couldn't tell you why. Hearing about the levels of toxicity has kept me from trying the game) WoW has never and will never be on that level. (Even tho some individuals have been trying pretty hard past couple of years..) People want to participate in that behaviour? They are welcome to join those communities. Oh and leave others alone that don't believe in outdated thinking or abusive narratives regardless of gender etc. *raises hand* Forums are silent for a reason. They need to keep pushing with a positive mindset and this contract even though I heard no changes for whatever reasons? It is pushing a positive narrative and I support it.

I'll be clicking "Exit Game".
    You know the thing...

I truely wonder how they will handle all those stuff. It will intimidate people acting toxic but it won't stop it all. It's still a good thing , I will simply accept and have fun.

I don't know I think around 225 lbs bench.

10+ Year Old Account
    I do wish we could get an update on those 85 people, if they stayed away or accepted..

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hungrydingo View Post
    I'll be clicking "Exit Game".
    Soo, you boot up the game just to say, "Nah, f**k this" and then proceed to shut down the game?
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zalraki View Post
    The social contract is about as useful as religion. You don't need a scripture to tell you what's good and what's bad. This stuff is more intended for the woke left to be able to get anyone banned who thinks differently from them. Pretty much also like a religion.

I wonder if the Blizzard employees will sign the same document... then again they don't play their own game
    Yeah sure, it's a "woke conspiracy" to get right wingers banned

Being a decent person is being "woke" now? Not harassing someone is being "woke" now? Not using slurs and hate speech is "woke" now?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zalraki View Post
    Nonono , it doesn't work that way. Only the self-proclaimed saviors of mankind can abuse the contract to get people banned. And you can be sure that they will actively hunt for any perceived insult, no matter how small or out of context it is. Just like how they do with any social media these days.
    Paranoid much?
    Putin khuliyo

Exit game, companies that want to control freedom of speech is sick!
    Gaming was build on people being able to be or do anything they want in a fake world well guess the wierdo mommy's are now in charge of blizzard (well woke blizzard 2022 what is not the same company anymore)
    Last edited by tromage2; 2022-06-02 at 09:29 PM.