Page 56 of 84 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    Her lawyer was on talkshows saying she plans to appeal and doesn't have the funds to be able to pay the lawsuit.
    She also planned to donate money to the ACLU

I think that if Depp decides he is ok with say 1 million, she’ll cut her losses.

The Unstoppable Force RobertoCarlos's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Veggie50 View Post

I think that if Depp decides he is ok with say 1 million, she’ll cut her losses.
    If you say so. I dunno how you got a direct line to Amber's thought process but kudos.

As far as im concerned its all in or nothing for her. You suggest 1 million and the matter is over. Her career is destroyed. 1 million is trivial in that regard.
    Suri Cruise and Katie Holmes are SP's.

Highly doubt that he will agree to make it easier for Heard. It's pretty clear that he refuses to even acknowledge her as a person.
    Error 404 - Signature not found

Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    Highly doubt that he will agree to make it easier for Heard. It's pretty clear that he refuses to even acknowledge her as a person.
    In closing his lawyers said they need not have any money awarded. A verdict which says JD is right was enough.

Now I don’t think JD is especially inclined to do something nice for Amber, but leaving her with an out that doesn’t include having to go through the whole circus again for 6 weeks on an appeal case, he may be inclined to go for that.

In closing his lawyers said they need not have any money awarded. A verdict which says JD is right was enough.

Now I don’t think JD is especially inclined to do something nice for Amber, but leaving her with an out that doesn’t include having to go through the whole circus again for 6 weeks on an appeal case, he may be inclined to go for that.
    Actually yeah, you might be right. Doubt a court would grant an appeal though. A process Depp don't have to be in actively.

The more you think about it the weirder the result becomes

Just so people get a clear idea of what the jury ruled on.

They ruled that one specific line in one article that came TWO YEARS AFTER the controversy emerged was the reason Johnny Depp's career was ruined. Not only that but that Johnny Depp committed no abuse of any kind (verbal and physical) and was all made up by Amber Heard

I hope she appeals and gets a proper trial rather than whatever media circus this has turned into

Quote Originally Posted by NED funded View Post

They ruled that one specific line in one article that came TWO YEARS AFTER the controversy emerged was the reason Johnny Depp's career was ruined. Not only that but that Johnny Depp committed no abuse of any kind (verbal and physical) and was all made up by Amber Heard

I hope she appeals and gets a proper trial rather than whatever media circus this has turned into
    I mean...I think the reputation damage to each was done in the trial itself, no matter what the outcome of the jury verdict was. I'm honestly kinda surprised Depp won at all, since this seemed like a longshot lawsuit mostly aimed at rehabbing his public image.

If Amber heard had claimed he sometimes slapper her around, or was forceful in bed, she would have won easily.

But that’s not what she claimed. She claimed broken bones, graphic total beatdowns, severe and bloody rapes. She clearly lied (or severely exagerated) these things, because there would have been a LOT of evidence, since she appeared in public a day after.

On top of that she was caught in multiple lies, unrelated to the abuse. Think of the “pledged” vs “donated” debacle, or the TMZ leaks. These all impeach her testimony, which is the only REAL evidence there was.

These people didn’t belong together, it seems VERY codependent. But she clearly did not suffer what she alleged during this case.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    I mean...I think the reputation damage to each was done in the trial itself, no matter what the outcome of the jury verdict was. I'm honestly kinda surprised Depp won at all, since this seemed like a longshot lawsuit mostly aimed at rehabbing his public image.
    Depps reputation is on an uprising since the trial starting though. So where do you get the idea that Depps reputation were damaged? He went from a jealous drug addicted wife beater to a jealous drug addicted victim of abuse. The bad traits is the same as before, the horrible trait is vindicated.
    Unless you mean personally for you?

- - - Updated - - -

That's not the ruling, nor is that what a defamation case is about in general. It's not trying to prove the one and only reason for someone's downfall.

They came to the conclusion that her statements DID damage his career worth 10m bucks. Not that the statement was the only thing ruining his career, he himself have also hurt his own career, probably worth more than 10m. But that's irrelevant to the case and verdict. Did she hurt his career? yes. Did she do so with lies and malicious intent? yes. Thus she should pay damages for what she caused.

Even if I ruin my own career worth 100m doesn't mean that someone else can just lie about me causing maybe just 1m extra in damages...that's not how things work. It's up to the jury to determine how much it affected his career, not if it's the only sole reason.

Misrepresenting what a verdict is saying isn't exactly clearing it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    The outcome of the veredict matters. I dont think it will matter if she wins on appeal tho because the circus will prob not care as much as they did for this one

10+ Year Old Account
    The outcome of the veredict matters. I dont think it will matter if she wins on appeal tho because the circus will prob not care as much as they did for this one
    You don't get an appeal because you want one. You need to provide evidence of malfeasance by the courts in the original prosecution, or new evidence that wasn't available in the prior case for some reason and will likely overturn the decision.

All Heard has is that she doesn't want to pay Depp millions. That's it. She has no other basis for an appeal, meaning she likely won't get one.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    You don't get an appeal because you want one. You need to provide evidence of malfeasance by the courts in the original prosecution, or new evidence that wasn't available in the prior case for some reason and will likely overturn the decision.

All Heard has is that she doesn't want to pay Depp millions. That's it. She has no other basis for an appeal, meaning she likely won't get one.
    Neither of us are lawyers so it's best to leave law matters as is and wait if it happens :P

Not really? Battle lines were drawn at the start. Most folks that chose battle lines remain in those positions now. Public sentiment, which is arguably the most important driver of the continuing film careers of both individuals, seems largely set.

Tell her if she donates the 7 million dollars she "pledged" plus lawyer fees and he walks away that would put her between a rock and a hard place. However you are right he has no obligation of giving her an out let her file for bankruptcy if she can't pay.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Yeah, that’s not how it works. Her lawyers will file an appeal and it will be looked at by the court. It could be summarily dismissed due to the reasons you outlined, but everyone is entitled to appealing verdicts.
    You're entitled to file an appeal.

You're not entitled to being granted an appeal.

Filing an appeal is equivalent to filing a lawsuit. It's the submission of papers. The courts haven't decided to accept the proceedings at that stage.

It's like if I said "you're not entitled to a loan from a bank", and you said "hey now, anyone can request a loan". Yeah, but the bank can still say "nah". As can the courts, to a filed appeal.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    You're entitled to file an appeal.

You're not entitled to being granted an appeal.
    Neither of those are universally true, as both depend on the jurisdiction (and the terms obviously vary) - and sometimes it can be vaiwed.

For Virginia it seems that starting this year there is an appeal of right in every civil case, brough to you by John S. Edwards,
    https://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/leg...212+sum+SB1261 - but I haven't looked into it in detail.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Being entitled to an appeal means you’re allowed to make one. It doesn’t mean it’ll be successful.
    Okay, when I said "get an appeal", I meant "your appeal gets its day in court".

It feels like you're trying to push that back to "filed papers with the court and haven't heard anything back yet", and seriously, that wasn't what I was originally saying at all.

so the domestic abuser johnny won? madness

kyle rittenhouse and oj eat your heart out.

Wonder how many of you will be bootlicking Marilyn Manson next

Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    so the domestic abuser johnny won? madness

kyle rittenhouse and oj eat your heart out.

Wonder how many of you will be bootlicking Marilyn Manson next
    Surprised people are still acting this immature because their side didn't "win".

Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    Surprised people are still acting this immature because their side didn't "win".
    what do you mean their side, depps a domestic abuser and he walks the case i dont get it