Thread: Genshin Impact

Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktangle View Post
    I'm still so bad at this game. I haven't 12 star'd abyss in a long time. I'm usually like 10 or 11 depending on how lazy I am, but I only go through it once. I don't retry anything or switch comps. My chars are pretty hyper invested too, should be free.
    I'm on the same boat. One clear, no switching, come what may, 50 more primos isn't worth the time. I think I only got 12* 2 or 3 times before. Abyss is rarely really free regardless of how good some of your characters may be, you need the exact FotM comp to 1 shot 9* it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxos View Post
    When you play the game of MMOs, you win or you go f2p.

Quote Originally Posted by Airlick View Post
    I'm on the same boat. One clear, no switching, come what may, 50 more primos isn't worth the time. I think I only got 12* 2 or 3 times before. Abyss is rarely really free regardless of how good some of your characters may be, you need the exact FotM comp to 1 shot 9* it.
    Exactly. That's the other reason why I try not to stress over it; success is ultimately a binary affair. Either you have the right combination of meta characters/weapons/artifacts or...you don't. And bashing your head against the higher floors to see if you can get do a little bit better is both pointless and unrewarding.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Why'd we have to get the yaksha with the most boring character design out of the five? T-T

Quote Originally Posted by Nurasu View Post
    Why'd we have to get the yaksha with the most boring character design out of the five? T-T
    As opposed to yet another waifu, ZongliLite, or an electro himbo?

I feel like an angsty emo teen is perfectly fine and way more diverse.

Personally I enjoy doing it because it's the only challenging thing Genshin has to offer. Events are balanced to the lowest common denominator, unless the rare event like the Vagabond one, which has been like a year since we had one like that. I won't deny the primos and the resources aren't a good incentive, but I would do it anyways if it had only cosmetic rewards, even none rewards at all, just for the challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by RadasNoir View Post
    Exactly. That's the other reason why I try not to stress over it; success is ultimately a binary affair. Either you have the right combination of meta characters/weapons/artifacts or...you don't. And bashing your head against the higher floors to see if you can get do a little bit better is both pointless and unrewarding.
    I think you're overestimating the difficulty of 9*. You wouldn't bring a full pyro team to fight the pyro cube, for example. Meta is a thing, but you can make-do with pretty much any character you like as long as they're well invested and have a comp that works for them. I've been always a Razor main, I like his playstyle and I've been using him in every abyss rotation for the 9*. Up until last banner that I got Ayaka, I used Kaeya as well with Chongyun in a freezecomp because I liked playing with Kaeya. Those 2 have been always my go-to teams to 9* F12, unless the rotation itself wouldn't allow me.
    In the end, it comes to what you enjoy doing, but 9* F12 hasn't been a thing only for meta comps for a while now.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BeepBoo View Post
    As opposed to yet another waifu, ZongliLite, or an electro himbo?

I feel like an angsty emo teen is perfectly fine and way more diverse.
    Sure, I have no problem with his personality or story, I just wish he had some of the special features that the others did. Of course, it's much easier to draw an interesting character than to create one in 3D, so I've probably answered my own question.

Quote Originally Posted by Gomelus View Post
    Personally I enjoy doing it because it's the only challenging thing Genshin has to offer. Events are balanced to the lowest common denominator, unless the rare event like the Vagabond one, which has been like a year since we had one like that. I won't deny the primos and the resources aren't a good incentive, but I would do it anyways if it had only cosmetic rewards, even none rewards at all, just for the challenge.
    Well, that's the thing for me, it's not really challenging. It's just a matter of picking the correct comps, which you either do or do not have geared. Even if you do, they may not be good enough to clear the whole F12 without switching around. But it's all about numbers, the mechanics are trivial, especially because it's solo and the only RNG you have to worry about is mobs dashing at a bad time and crits (which, again, doesn't matter if the right characters are geared enough, there's far enough leeway to account for RNG). And if you don't, you just won't clear it unless you're willing to bash your head against the wall for hours until stars align.

I wouldn't mind actual mechanical challenges in the game (like tighter tuned coop mode abyss where each player picks 2-4 unique characters), but that's never going to happen. Cosmetic rewards would also be a much better incentive for me than 50 more primos in standard abyss.

Well, that's the thing for me, it's not really challenging. It's just a matter of picking the correct comps, which you either do or do not have geared. Even if you do, they may not be good enough to clear the whole F12 without switching around. But it's all about numbers, the mechanics are trivial, especially because it's solo and the only RNG you have to worry about is mobs dashing at a bad time and crits (which, again, doesn't matter if the right characters are geared enough, there's far enough leeway to account for RNG). And if you don't, you just won't clear it unless you're willing to bash your head against the wall for hours until stars align.

I wouldn't mind actual mechanical challenges in the game (like tighter tuned coop mode abyss where each player picks 2-4 unique characters), but that's never going to happen. Cosmetic rewards would also be a much better incentive for me than 50 more primos in standard abyss.
    I can agree with that, challenging as in 2,5x times the HP and try to beat it under 3 minutes, not because it has challenging mechanics.
    I would love challenging coop fights, or some variation of the abyss. Instead of making it a time-trial, make it a survival mode. Endless waves that get thougher each time until you get oneshot.
    The Labyrinth warriors even had a good template imo for some kinda of roguelike dungeon as well.
    Sadly I don't see this game making any mechanics in an encounter difficult, not any time soon at least.

10+ Year Old Account
    Randomly generated dungeon would be a good start. (warriors were not)
    And you could either have it timed, so you get as far as possible in limited time or mobs getting stronger and stronger auras, like immune to pyro and so on.
    They should also allow food items, as right now there are pretty much wortless and there is no point farming food.
    Ever oasis style with puzzles in mix would be pretty good.
    Don't sweat the details!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Nurasu View Post
    Sure, I have no problem with his personality or story, I just wish he had some of the special features that the others did. Of course, it's much easier to draw an interesting character than to create one in 3D, so I've probably answered my own question.
    What kinds of special features are you talking about? Do other characters in genshin have such special features?

Personally, I like the more muted style of design. I'm not a fan of over-the-top anime or typical eastern designs for characters with 100 accessories, floating things all over the place, etc. For instance, I'd choose playable baal over boss-with-big-arms baal any day of the week.

Well i disagree. Genshin is primarily a casual solo-player game. There are barely any cosmetic rewards in the first place, giving them only to hardcores is asinine. If you want a challenging co-op game, play a challenging co-op game instead. There are enough of them out there.
    I really like that in their events they have more difficult versions available but they are just for the challenge and give only negligible rewards. If you have fun doing challenges then you can but i guess most haven't if they aren't bribed to do so.

10+ Year Old Account
    [BETA] "Jade-Plumed Terrorshroom"

Some data mentioning a world/normal boss which drops Nagadus Emerald Gems (Dendro Gems) was accidentally added to game data, which would indicate its upcoming release soon (NOT Version 2.8).

Interesting. Will they do the same thing like they did with Kazuha as temp boss.
    Don't sweat the details!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Yriel View Post
    Well i disagree. Genshin is primarily a casual solo-player game. There are barely any cosmetic rewards in the first place, giving them only to hardcores is asinine. If you want a challenging co-op game, play a challenging co-op game instead. There are enough of them out there.
    I really like that in their events they have more difficult versions available but they are just for the challenge and give only negligible rewards. If you have fun doing challenges then you can but i guess most haven't if they aren't bribed to do so.
    I'm in this boat as well. I just enjoy the challenge for the sake of beating the challenge. I do wish they had more mechanically challenging things a lot of times as opposed to just "how built are your characters and are they the RIGHT characters" but they DO sometimes have that in events, so I'm still relatively satisfied in that regard. However, I don't need an inscentive and I don't really want them cramming big incentives behind having whaled for the anti-consumer implications of "If you want to beat our game and get showered in rewards, just p2w it."

Honestly surprised they don't have more challenging content. I'm a F2P player and I'm 9 starring Abyss 12 on my first try... what motivation do I have to spend even the slightest bit of money to buff up my characters?

Really makes me extra question the sanity of the whales out there atm.

Quote Originally Posted by Very Tired View Post
    Honestly surprised they don't have more challenging content. I'm a F2P player and I'm 9 starring Abyss 12 on my first try... what motivation do I have to spend even the slightest bit of money to buff up my characters?

Whales gonna whale, the only time I remember whaling being relevant was if you wanted to do max score on the Vagabond event just for the bragging rights. Personally I'm grateful because thanks to them, I can enjoy this game without putting a single dime.

Quote Originally Posted by Very Tired View Post

I don't think challenge would entice more whaling. With seven or eight maxed chars you can probably beat anything they can throw at you in terms of challenge, you don't need a new 5star every few weeks to do that.
    The whaling in Genshin is more FOMO based, probably combined with a dose of "lets try this new combo with the new 5star" and, of course, waifus and hubandos.
    Honstely i'm more surprised they are not more into cosmetics, they could make a boatload of money with them. But it seems they have some kind of artistic integrity they want to keep.
    Last edited by Yriel; 2022-06-08 at 07:23 AM.

I don't think challenge would entice more whaling.
    It absolutely would. Constellation power creep is pretty massive in terms of performance for a lot of characters. Necessitating more power than what people can get without constellations will make people want those constellations.

I remember the dumb cube event, which was the first "pick your affixes" thing IIRC. It was fucking garbage designed to make you REALLY want ganyu if you wanted to have the possibility of completing it with all the things selected (a.k.a. max difficulty). Mostly because they don't actually design mechanics you can conquer with movement and strategy and instead just go with "lol timer shorter and enemies spongier" for their difficulty.

Quote Originally Posted by BeepBoo View Post
    It absolutely would. Constellation power creep is pretty massive in terms of performance for a lot of characters. Necessitating more power than what people can get without constellations will make people want those constellations.

I remember the dumb cube event, which was the first "pick your affixes" thing IIRC. It was fucking garbage designed to make you REALLY want ganyu if you wanted to have the possibility of completing it with all the things selected (a.k.a. max difficulty). Mostly because they don't actually design mechanics you can conquer with movement and strategy and instead just go with "lol timer shorter and enemies spongier" for their difficulty.
    Sure. But once you have your team, you have your team. A lot of the most powerful characters are quite old (like Ganyu). To promote whaling in a challenging environment you would have to massively powercreep new 5stars, each one would have be more powerful than existing ones and challenges would have to be balanced around these ever more powerful chars. Is that really a game you would like to play?

Sure. But once you have your team, you have your team. A lot of the most powerful characters are quite old (like Ganyu). To promote whaling in a challenging environment you would have to massively powercreep new 5stars, each one would have be more powerful than existing ones and challenges would have to be balanced around these ever more powerful chars. Is that really a game you would like to play?
    It isn't, but the examples you have given are exactly the "what if" scenario he was referring to and the things that would happen if they release difficult content.
    Last edited by KrayZ33; 2022-06-08 at 10:05 AM.

Whales are gonna whale regardless of challenge or powercreep. I mean, they are already whaling in a game where they basically get an opportunity to play the characters they paid tens of thousands of dollars for for 10 minutes every 3 weeks. There's no reason to assume they would expect challenges to be balanced around new powercreeped characters. Balance around baseline characters for the rewards and slap a global ranking on it and they'll be paying even more.