Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Playing an Alliance Darkfallen (Undead Night Elf) Dark Ranger 'right now'?

Is it possible/'canon' to be a Darkfallen (Undead Night Elf) Dark Ranger in the Alliance right now?

I'm asking because the 'server lore' of the EU's biggest RP Realm (Argent Dawn) is apparently that they are apparently still very much 'illegal'.

I made a Darkfallen (Undead Night Elf) Dark Ranger over the past few days, only to find my character ruthlessly harassed around Stormwind. Apparently they are not 'officially' part of the Alliance yet, and so it's apparently 'fair game' to arrest them (or worse).

At one point my character was declared "Kill on sight."

I'm trying to get a definitive answer on this because in my limited experience (so far), it's frankly not worth trying to roleplay a Darkfallen Dark Ranger for the time being.

Those who try to justify this behaviour seem to be referring to some dialogue from the quest line (Dark Ranger Velonara):

"There are those among the Kaldorei raised by Sylvanas' val'kyr who wish to return to their own. If Tyrande would have them back, they are free to go. The rest will be welcome in the ranks of the dark rangers."
    Emphasis added. Apparently, since it is not 100% confirmed somewhere yet that Tyrande "would have them back", you cannot 'technically' play a Darkfallen (Undead Night Elf) Dark Ranger.

But surely if they have been added as a playable customisation option, that is basically heavily implied/confirmed?

Either way, trying to roleplay this thing just seems to be more trouble than it's worth until this is clarified (or until the next new customisation/race-related thing is released for people to hate-boner on )
    Last edited by Austilias; 2022-06-06 at 06:55 PM.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Just ignore all the people trying to grief your RP and move on.

3+ Year Old Account
    just RP as a former Scourge who joined the Ebon Blade and then proceeded to join the Alliance together with Thassarian
    The Alliance gets the Horde's most popular race. The Horde should get the Alliance's most popular race in return. Alteraci Humans for the Horde!

I make Warcraft 3 Reforged HD custom models and I'm also an HD model reviewer.

10+ Year Old Account
    The stage has already been set for Alliance dark rangers. It is only a matter of time now to see some actual lore arise of night elf/void elf variations of darkfallen elves (as they are now referring to themselves as in-game and not just in 3rd party media) to be doing Alliance things.

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    If you want to stick within the established rules of your community, you could have some fun with this.

You are one of the kaldorei undead who did indeed want to return home, but you're facing the expected pains that come with an undead trying to exist on the alliance (Sylvanas first envoys were indeed killed on sight, and most of the Alliance has even more reason to hate undead now than they did then). Keep your hood up, use xmog that hides your features/eyes, and keep to the shadows, as it were, only revealing yourself to those you trust, playing the outcast. (Or as another pointed out- strap on an ebon blade tabard and tell them to take their complaints up with the deathlord)

Could be fun. But otherwise, Stormbringers got the right of it- don't let anyone grief your good time mate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Minikin View Post
    "Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never....BURN IT"
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    You are kinda joe Roganing this topic. Hardly have any actual knowledge other than what people have told you, and jumping into a discussion with people who have direct experience with it. Don't be Joe Rogan.

Yes, a group of Darkfallen Forsaken have now Canonically joined the Alliance. Whether the Argent Dawn RPers acknowledge Canon or scurry back into headcanon is irrelevant, they don't get to dictate Blizzard Canon.

Therefore, Canonically, several Darkfallen Kaldorei have rejoined the Alliance Kaldorei led by Tyrande Whisperwind. Similarly, several Darkfallen Quel'dorei have rejoined the Alliance Ren'dorei led by Alleria Windrunner.

Therefore, Canonically, Dark Rangers and, more in general, Darkfallen Forsaken are now indeed part of the Alliance.

5+ Year Old Account
    This thread was moved to the RP Forum for clarity, and your other comment will link/redirect replies to this thread.
    Last edited by Rozz; 2022-06-06 at 07:18 PM.
    Moderator of the General Off-Topic, Politics, Lore, and RP Forums
    "If you have any concerns, let me know via PM. I'll do my best to assist you."

7+ Year Old Account
    They are not canon yet. Blizzard may add some alliance dark ranger npcs some day or may make a post saying they are canon.

Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    Yes, a group of Darkfallen Forsaken have now Canonically joined the Alliance.
    Do we have proof/a source for this?

It would be very useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Austilias View Post

It would be very useful.
    Yes, the proof is that Void elves got Darkfallen customization options.

If the Argent Dawn RPers then want to pretend Blizzard didn't add this option, that's their problem. But Canonically this option exists and thus it is Canonically accepted to RP a Dark Ranger who defected from the Horde to the Alliance.

Btw, there is no story development for Farraki trolls in the Horde, in fact Farakki trolls were hostile to the Horde in BfA. Yet no one has a problem with the new Farraki options. It seems like Argent Crusade simply has a problem with Void elves and Night elves.
    Last edited by Varodoc; 2022-06-06 at 07:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    Yes, the proof is that Void elves got Darkfallen customization options.

If the Argent Dawn RPers then want to pretend Blizzard didn't add this option, that's their problem. But Canonically this option exists and thus it is Canonically accepted to RP a Dark Ranger who defected from the Horde to the Alliance.

Btw, there is no story development for Farraki trolls in the Horde, in fact Farakki trolls were hostile to the Horde in BfA. Yet no one has a problem with the new Farraki options. It seems like Argent Crusade simply has a problem with Void elves and Night elves.
    The counterargument I keep encountering is just because they're a character customisation option, doesn't mean that they're actually canon...

Quote Originally Posted by Ardenaso View Post
    just RP as a former Scourge who joined the Ebon Blade and then proceeded to join the Alliance together with Thassarian
    Well, most of the Alliance death knights seem to have been former warriors or paladins from the living races, not hunters and rangers. There are some night elf death knights, I think, but they are very few in number.

It would be very useful.
    Yes, we do, as Velonara confirms there are night elves who wish to rejoin their kin, if "Tyrande would have them back."
    https://youtu.be/xBtP4SBZoos?t=1133

However, a counterargument could also be made...why would Tyrande ultimately want them back? It would be like a Forsaken soldier who rejoined the Alliance and helped them attack his brethren, then a year later came back to the Undercity and asked to fight alongside them again like everything was okay. It doesn't make too much sense either. What if they were simply ticking time bombs, or what if they decided to defect yet again in the midst of battle?

I also primarily played on a Role-Playing server, but no one there actually role-played, not even in the guilds for the most part, and Trade was about everything except Role-Playing. XD

Is role-playing still popular in some of the major realms these days?
    Last edited by OwenBurton; 2022-06-06 at 08:07 PM.
    "You see, there is balance in all things. Wisdom etched in our very fur: Black and white. Darkness and light. When the last emperor hid our land from the rest of the world, he also preserved...our ancient enemy, the mantid. So it is with your Alliance and your Horde. They are not strong despite one another; they are strong BECAUSE of one another. You mistake your greatest strength for weakness. Do you see this?"

The counterargument I keep encountering is just because they're a character customisation option, doesn't mean that they're actually canon...
    They're more canon than all the Northern house noblemen Gary Stus meeting up in Cathedral Square to RP the Holy crusade for Lordaeron, that's for sure.

This is why I keep my chat off if I am in a RP realm. I couldn't care less what others think.

Herald of the Titans Dristereau's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Not sure it gets more clarified than 'playable' honestly
    Dristereau - Axxolentus - Infernus - Sequentia - Nulo - Desterrar

Silvermoon
    - Shadowsong/Aszune - Tarren-Mill/Dentarg (SL Mage Tower: 29/36
    )

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by OwenBurton View Post
    Well, most of the Alliance death knights seem to have been former warriors or paladins from the living races, not hunters and rangers. There are some night elf death knights, I think, but they are very few in number.
    doesn't have to be death knight, like zombie archer #3423134457
    The Alliance gets the Horde's most popular race. The Horde should get the Alliance's most popular race in return. Alteraci Humans for the Horde!

I make Warcraft 3 Reforged HD custom models and I'm also an HD model reviewer.

Yes. Night Elves died in Darkshore and were risen. Delaryn now leads a contingent of Darkfallen Night Elves.

Delaryn relocated to the rebuilding Brill where she stood guard at the northern entrance, raining arrows at the blighted undead. She was amongst the Forsaken who moved into the Ruins of Lordaeron following its cleansing. While some of the Forsaken night elves departed to rejoin the Alliance, Delaryn remained with the Horde. When questioned about this, Delaryn admitted that she didn't know if the kaldorei would welcome her, as during that violent time of confusion she fought against them and lost their faith. However, Delaryn wouldn't blame them for their distrust. She then admitted that while they were on the road of accepting themselves, they weren't done, but fortunately were not alone anymore. (Source)

Quote Originally Posted by The Stormbringer View Post
    Just ignore all the people trying to grief your RP and move on.
    That wasn't the question.

Quote Originally Posted by Dristereau View Post
    Not sure it gets more clarified than 'playable' honestly
    I would like to think so too, but try roleplaying a Darkfallen/Dark Ranger on Alliance on an RP realm like Argent Dawn and brace yourself for all sorts of grief/harassment...

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorrowseer View Post
    That wasn't the question.
    The question doesn't need to be answered that way. The real answer is that you shouldn't give a shit what other people think about your RP, so long as you're not griefing and being an asshole. If you think the lore supports something, even barebones, go for it. If people give you crap for it, ignore them and move on.