Poll: Do you support bringing back the Vanilla racial-based "priest abilities"?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    hell nooooooooo

horrors of not being the dwarf priest, or even worse having to roll a dwarf

I support more spell flavor and 'class skin' type stuff in general.
    Twas brillig

Quote Originally Posted by OwenBurton View Post
    I don't understand, I always thought the racial benefits were mostly minimal. Was Fear Ward truly so broken in the original game? The other priest abilities were very formidable also.
    Yes. It was a thing back then that if a tank was feared or incapacitated (you can see this with a few rogue-like mobs who use gouge in Mana Tombs timewalking) his threat is temporarily suspended and the mobs go after whoever's #2. The fear break was a huge thing.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by cparle87 View Post
    Yes. It was a thing back then that if a tank was feared or incapacitated (you can see this with a few rogue-like mobs who use gouge in Mana Tombs timewalking) his threat is temporarily suspended and the mobs go after whoever's #2. The fear break was a huge thing.
    Then again, why not make it a default Priest ability, and give the dwarves something else for their priests? I mean, they're bring back Mark of the Wild and other abilities with the newest expansion, why are Priest abilities somehow off the table?
    "You see, there is balance in all things. Wisdom etched in our very fur: Black and white. Darkness and light. When the last emperor hid our land from the rest of the world, he also preserved...our ancient enemy, the mantid. So it is with your Alliance and your Horde. They are not strong despite one another; they are strong BECAUSE of one another. You mistake your greatest strength for weakness. Do you see this?"

Then again, why not make it a default Priest ability, and give the dwarves something else for their priests? I mean, they're bring back Mark of the Wild and other abilities with the newest expansion, why are Priest abilities somehow off the table?
    Some of them are still around, some are gone. Human's desperate prayer, flat 30% heal iirc. Trolls had a shadowy version of shaman's lightning shield. Devouring plague for undead.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

Devouring plague is a basic shadow priest ability now.

They could add things like fear ward on talents, but not racials, no.

Quote Originally Posted by relaxok View Post
    Quick question… did classic wow’s version of vanilla have the priest racials? or was that gone by 1.12?
    You still have them even in TBC.

Thing is people care less about these racials in TBC because Fear Ward is available to every Priest in TBC and the other ones only have niche use.

Trolls had like 2 or 3 of them, I remember Shadow orbs being troll only (it came back as shadow priest baseline mechanic for an expac I cant remember then removed again)

We also got Hex of Weakness which was very OP for a single race to have, long range weaker version of mortal strike.

I wasn't a Vanilla player, but I've learned that all the original priest classes had special unique "race"-based abilities, for example, blood elves had "Consume Magic" and night elves had "Starshards". Basically, do you think they were a beneficial perk to the gameplay and possibly the lore? Would you prefer to bring them back, given the chance?

https://wowpedia.fandom.com/wiki/Pri...cial_abilities
    https://wowpedia.fandom.com/wiki/Con...riest_ability)
    https://wowpedia.fandom.com/wiki/Starshards

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqOfELglfnQ
    Over complicating an ability by requiring an extra step is not something I choose to vote for. In fact, I was over joyed when certain abilities became passive and did not require space on my bars to occupy.
    “Be the change you want to see in the world.” ~ Mahatma Gandhi

TLDR - "The player base can't have nice things because the player base keeps abusing those things because the player base bullies itself into playing the way of the Meta because the Meta player base is better than the Trash player base (anything not Meta) and the trash player base exists solely to feed the Meta player base."

15+ Year Old Account
    Or they could maybe just add Fear Ward as a standard priest ability, and then give new Priest racials to all the existing races.
    They did that, all priests used to have fear ward. They removed it because they it made mechanics irrelevant when you can stack priests.

If the spells don't have utility and just have a slightly different flavour of dps spell, so you don't feel pressured to pick a specific one, yep!

Blizz said back in MoP that if they could send one piece of advice to their pre-launch selves it would be "racials cosmetic only."
    That's bullcrap that they claim to think that. They could easily remove the racials that affect performance.
    Shadowmeld can just be replaced with a fake stealth that only makes you slightly transparent (doesnt work vs mobs).

- - - Updated - - -

No, for a few obvious reasons:

Every Shadow Priest would need to be Undead. Every Healer Dwarf or Human.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Al Gorefiend View Post
    Trolls had like 2 or 3 of them, I remember Shadow orbs being troll only (it came back as shadow priest baseline mechanic for an expac I cant remember then removed again)

We also got Hex of Weakness which was very OP for a single race to have, long range weaker version of mortal strike.
    I remember having Shadow Orbs in WoD. DoT Weaving felt so good to play too.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Skytotem View Post
    I support more spell flavor and 'class skin' type stuff in general.
    But this isn't the same thing. These racial abilities directly affected performance to the point where a Healer was either a Dwarf or it wasn't invited to the raid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aydinx2
    People who don't buy the deluxe edition should be permanently banned. I'm sick of playing with poor people.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kehego View Post
    that's the joke
    alliance have had better racials since wotlk
    Too little too late, besides it was like Cata/MoP they did a full rebalance. Too many players were Horde by that point.

Do racial's really serve a point anymore? The RPG is long gone from the game. You can easily make them cosmetic (Orcs go into blood rage and turn into outland fel orcs randomly in combat) etc. Trolls get the shadow orb in combat but it's not castable.

Adding vanilla based ones back in is just a recipe for complaints. They've caused enough damage with faction imbalances and they're a tiresome topic.

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    Do you support racial based- YES
    Quote Originally Posted by Minikin View Post
    "Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never....BURN IT"
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    You are kinda joe Roganing this topic. Hardly have any actual knowledge other than what people have told you, and jumping into a discussion with people who have direct experience with it. Don't be Joe Rogan.

Quote Originally Posted by Aydinx2 View Post
    That's bullcrap that they claim to think that. They could easily remove the racials that affect performance.
    Shadowmeld can just be replaced with a fake stealth that only makes you slightly transparent (doesnt work vs mobs).
    Considering the amount of nerdrage they get from practically every small thing they do could you imagine the backlash if they actually removed performance racials?

Considering the amount of nerdrage they get from practically every small thing they do could you imagine the backlash if they actually removed performance racials?
    I honestly don't mind them restoring the human and blood elf racials, maybe because I was never as hardcore a gamer as others. Perhaps they could strengthen the other racials rather than nerf the strongest ones. Or perhaps they could significantly diminish or limit them during PvP if that's the main concern of most players.
    "You see, there is balance in all things. Wisdom etched in our very fur: Black and white. Darkness and light. When the last emperor hid our land from the rest of the world, he also preserved...our ancient enemy, the mantid. So it is with your Alliance and your Horde. They are not strong despite one another; they are strong BECAUSE of one another. You mistake your greatest strength for weakness. Do you see this?"

Yes!

It`s something i really liked back then.

No way, there are enough problems for race/faction imbalance because people tend to be on meta, and if the skills get to be stronger on any of it it would increase the problems greatly and complaints (i like a certain racial and it is inferior as example)

They got away with nerfing both the human and blood elf racials (although I think there was extreme displeasure in both cases).