Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Austilias View Post
    The counterargument I keep encountering is just because they're a character customisation option, doesn't mean that they're actually canon...
    The people who argue this are stupid.

It's Blizzard's game, what they put in it is canon. Darkfallen Night Elves on the Alliance exist, therefore they're canon. End of story.

Also, IIRC the dialogue does not mention Tyrande, it simply says if there are elves who wish to return to the Alliance, they are free to do so.

7+ Year Old Account
    I love how the Alliance can have a pious Human Paladin standing alongside a Death Knight, a Dark Ranger and a Void abortion in a tavern
    This world don't give us nothing. It be our lot to suffer... and our duty to fight back.

Quote Originally Posted by Maljinwo View Post
    I love how the Alliance can have a pious Human Paladin standing alongside a Death Knight, a Dark Ranger and a Void abortion in a tavern
    Say what you might about the Horde's direction of late, it pales in comparison to how distorted the Alliance identity has become.

The counterargument I keep encountering is just because they're a character customisation option, doesn't mean that they're actually canon...
    I have to wonder how many people making that argument are playing void elves with high elf customization and rping as high elves...

Quote Originally Posted by Rendark View Post
    They are not canon yet. Blizzard may add some alliance dark ranger npcs some day or may make a post saying they are canon.
    As soon as that customization option was made available to the Alliance it was indeed canon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    No fucking way. The worst idea since democracy.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lodreh View Post
    As soon as that customization option was made available to the Alliance it was indeed canon.
    This. It's laughable we even have to argue about that.

#TEAMGIRAFFE

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lodreh View Post
    I wouldn't say that but whatever.

As long as they aren't playing San'layn or flat out scourge if the customization is there it's probably okie dokie.

I would like to think so too, but try roleplaying a Darkfallen/Dark Ranger on Alliance on an RP realm like Argent Dawn and brace yourself for all sorts of grief/harassment...
    How do these angry role-players treat night elf death knights then? Have they not been part of the Alliance technically since 2008? Or even demon hunters, are they not also reclusive outcasts?

Btw, this is an older thread I found on this topic by accident, it's pretty interesting:
    https://eu.forums.blizzard.com/en/wo...t-elves/165670
    "You see, there is balance in all things. Wisdom etched in our very fur: Black and white. Darkness and light. When the last emperor hid our land from the rest of the world, he also preserved...our ancient enemy, the mantid. So it is with your Alliance and your Horde. They are not strong despite one another; they are strong BECAUSE of one another. You mistake your greatest strength for weakness. Do you see this?"

Quote Originally Posted by JadedTauren View Post
    As long as they aren't playing San'layn or flat out scourge if the customization is there it's probably okie dokie.
    hadn't thought of using the new customization to RP san'layn. seems to work.

to op. ive been RPing a nelf dark ranger on moonguard since before the new options and most people were down with it. it may be how you are RPing, but Argent Dawn is also full of assholes.

[Rothulivic] [Twitch] [Twitter] Signature by Serryn

Quote Originally Posted by The Stormbringer View Post
    The question doesn't need to be answered that way. The real answer is that you shouldn't give a shit what other people think about your RP, so long as you're not griefing and being an asshole. If you think the lore supports something, even barebones, go for it. If people give you crap for it, ignore them and move on.
    Not how social interaction works whether you like it or not, so being as it is its best to just look for the right method than to give out a generic 'do your thang girl' so someone.

The Thread has worked and shown the OP how to move forward

I would like to think so too, but try roleplaying a Darkfallen/Dark Ranger on Alliance on an RP realm like Argent Dawn and brace yourself for all sorts of grief/harassment...
    If it's in the game they're literally playing, then it's canon whether they like it or not.

Also if 'griefing' or 'harassment' is happening, you should utilise the /ignore function and/or report them. Haven gotten a number of people banned on Wyrmrest Accord and Moon Guard in the past year, for trying to pull these kinds of things.
    If I don't respond to something you tagged me in, assume one of two things.
    1) Your post was too stupid to acknowledge, or
    2) Your post is cringe and not worth replying to.

Alternatively, if it happens a lot I probably have you blocked due to one of the above things. Thank you.

Remember during Darkshore? Tyrande's first reaction to seeing the Darkfallen being raised was to tell them not to forsake Elune's light, it was them who decided to side with the Horde (since we know now they likely got yoinked to the Maw, fairly understandable).

Also during the battle of Darkshore Maiev spends almost the entire warfront regardless of faction begging Delaryn to change her mind and come back. While the Alliance as a whole is still in question, it seems to me that even back during BFA the Night Elves at least would have been okay with their Darkfallen kin coming back to them.

Yeah, that's RP community for you. "Lore? No, no, this is what lore should be, because I need more justifications to harass people."

Find yourself a guild that roleplays in the actual canon and just do with the others what you do with other griefers - pretend they don't exist.

WHile yes, you should be allowed to RP an option the game is actually giving you, the fact remains you cannot RP that much if the community does not want you around. So if you wanted to participate in RP events, you go by the rules of the RP community, not Blizzard's. And if you have an issue with the rule, raise it in the realm forums.

If you can find people who are happy to RP with you as a Night Elf Dark Ranger, go for it.

Is it possible/'canon' to be a Darkfallen (Undead Night Elf) Dark Ranger in the Alliance right now?

I'm asking because the 'server lore' of the EU's biggest RP Realm (Argent Dawn) is apparently that they are apparently still very much 'illegal'.

I made a Darkfallen (Undead Night Elf) Dark Ranger over the past few days, only to find my character ruthlessly harassed around Stormwind. Apparently they are not 'officially' part of the Alliance yet, and so it's apparently 'fair game' to arrest them (or worse).

At one point my character was declared "Kill on sight."

I'm trying to get a definitive answer on this because in my limited experience (so far), it's frankly not worth trying to roleplay a Darkfallen Dark Ranger for the time being.

Those who try to justify this behaviour seem to be referring to some dialogue from the quest line (Dark Ranger Velonara):

Emphasis added. Apparently, since it is not 100% confirmed somewhere yet that Tyrande "would have them back", you cannot 'technically' play a Darkfallen (Undead Night Elf) Dark Ranger.

But surely if they have been added as a playable customisation option, that is basically heavily implied/confirmed?

Either way, trying to roleplay this thing just seems to be more trouble than it's worth until this is clarified (or until the next new customisation/race-related thing is released for people to hate-boner on )
    If you want a definitive answer, you won't find it on the forum unless someone here is actually a Blizzard employee.

That aside, I've had a look at the wow forum debates too and the argument isn't really about customization but that both Velonara and Delaryn say some dark rangers want to rejoin their people but they don't know if they'll be accepted. So the way I see it, there is upcoming lore about Alliance dark rangers and the customizations have been added in advance, but it hasn't happened yet, which on a RP realm would mean that at this point in time your dark ranger would have no place in Stormwind. Also people saying that because the customization is now available to alliance races means they are already part of the Alliance forget mechanics aren't lore and are irrelevant on a RP realm. Otherwise you could also claim San'Layn are part of the Alliance because the customization is for darkfallen, not just dark rangers, and that warlocks walk on the streets of SW with their void walkers out when Metzen infirmed that at Blizzcon and stated there are a lot of things in the game for purely gameplay purposes which have nothing to do with the lore.

Your best bet would be to wait and RP your dark ranger outside of Alliance hubs until Blizz gives you an actual lore/questline of dark rangers being accepted into the Alliance rather than just a statement of intent that doesn't involve acceptance/action on the Alliance's part. Look at the DK/Void Elf lore and you'll see exactly that. A pardon by Varian for DK's, an introduction into the Alliance under Anduin's blessing for Void Elves. Dark Rangers don't have either so your ground is pretty shaky and no matter how you look at it RP'ers are justified in rejecting your wishes at this stage in time.