Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by minteK917 View Post
    I dont wanna see more discovery or picard, MORE OF THIS PLEASE.
    Take 4 episodes from the next seasons of Picard and disc and force them to do a tight story and season, and give SNW 18 episodes in S2. It’ll make all 3 series better.

10 episodes just isn’t enough.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SavoirFaire View Post
    Take 4 episodes from the next seasons of Picard and disc and force them to do a tight story and season, and give SNW 18 episodes in S2. It’ll make all 3 series better.

10 episodes just isn’t enough.
    Yes - I really think the real LOSS with Streaming "normed" tv shows, and the idea of 10-12 episodes (for everything) IS the LOSS of the "monster of the week" and yea, the otherwise considered 'filler' episodes, of long-running casted tv shows.

Some IPs can work with 'one season arcs' covered in 10 episodes - but when you're talking about casted-ensemble shows - you really need more episodes to give viewers the time to get to know ALL the characters, and 'why they should care' about the cast moving forward. To show individual character growth, through multiple stories, and multiple characters - you just need more episodes.

Star Trek is only one IP example of this where I think its really, obviously, a huge detriment to the 'feel' of the show and the future of any one series in the IP.

I really feel DISCO would have been MUCH better served if it could have steered away from the "new universe ending plot arcs" every season and instead been allowed to spend time focusing on character development and 'monster of the week' adventures serving that development. Much like SNW is showing - 'monster of the week' development is JUST FINE to keep a show going on and DOES allow for viewers to get to know a variety of the ship's characters as well as giving time to show those characters growing through those adventures - and the audience is here for it. Not asking for 'bigger plot arcs' to still watch, week after week. I mean yes, whatever weakness of the showrunners direction and/or the writer's room is still there of course; but I think we'd still have gotten a better story, with much better character development (any at all?) in DISCO if the show had been able to spend the time to develop those individual characters and stories. Rather than everything being sacrificed screen-time for the 'big universal ending' plot arc coverage.

But, as the quoted poster points out, its still not enough episodes to really feel everything's fleshed out and addressed for a 'full season of story' experience (for lack of a better way to put that). It would be nice to have the room to have the 'main story arc' that you get those few episodes about to keep things 'pushing' into larger arcs, while ALSO having the time for the 'character stories' you get in the monster of the week episodes.

Just sucks that the Netflix "ten episodes is a whole season of tv because we said so" has become the standard. That series production doesn't just keep it to 'however many we need to have' and the standard didn't become "anywhere between 10 and 27 depending on what the script/story needs." Some tv shows would absolutely make everyone more money and be more successful if they had the time to 'flesh out' the characters, beyond the limits of a 10 episode season. The original logic of - "We only do 10 because the production value is higher!" has gone down the drain to "its cheaper and since we see Netflix can do it, we're all doing that now - FU audience or story."

Picard is its own breed and always was - it was never meant to be an ongoing space-exploring ship series like Disco and SNW. It was always a focused plot around one character, and limited run to 3 seasons (which would have been a single season in old-regular-tv-standards).

As someone who has always enjoyed 'more episodes' rather than less - just sucks this is the 'new norm' trend.
    Koriani - Guardians of Forever - BM Huntard on TB; Kharmic - Worgen Druid - TB
    Koriani - none - Dragon of Secret World
    Karmic - Moirae - SWTOR
    inactive: Frith-Rae - Horizons/Istaria; Koriani in multiple old MMOs. I been around a long time.

I did not know this. Bruce does a fantastic job of bringing this character to life.

Meet Bruce Horak, Star Trek's first blind actor, playing Hemmer on Strange New Worlds

Horak has worked in theatre for over 25 years now. This year, the Calgary-born actor is playing Hemmer on Star Trek: Strange New Worlds, as the first legally blind actor in the franchise's history.

When he was 18 months old, Horak was diagnosed with Bilateral Retinoblastoma, a cancer of the eye. The treatment of his condition left him legally blind.

"My right eye was removed completely," Horak says. "And my left eye — there were three tumours on it. So that was blasted with radiation and left me with about 9% vision."

Another good episode, I thought they overstepped a little with regard to what the federation could / would do so the scripting was a little off, still a good episode

Pike's tantrum was a little odd but the episode itself was good. Nice to see a culture that doesn't care what some do-gooders think about them.

Going to skip next week's episode though because of the "Look at us! We put a trans person in the show! We're so PC." promotion

Quote Originally Posted by VMSmith View Post
    I did not know this. Bruce does a fantastic job of bringing this character to life.
    I still uphold the view that he's doing a better portrayal of a half-Vulcan than Peck is.

Quote Originally Posted by Zalraki View Post
    Pike's tantrum was a little odd but the episode itself was good. Nice to see a culture that doesn't care what some do-gooders think about them.

Going to skip next week's episode though because of the "Look at us! We put a trans person in the show! We're so PC." promotion
    I honestly didn't see that ad ( I don't see many) what was wrong with it? Was it an end credits thing?

Quote Originally Posted by molliewoof View Post
    I honestly didn't see that ad ( I don't see many) what was wrong with it? Was it an end credits thing?
    The promo for the next episode I saw was the Enterprise caught in an asteroid trap. There are articles about a guest actor playing a trans character or some such but that is typical promo puffery stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by SavoirFaire View Post
    The promo for the next episode I saw was the Enterprise caught in an asteroid trap. There are articles about a guest actor playing a trans character or some such but that is typical promo puffery stuff.
    Oh so just an episode of star trek with a trans person.

Looking forward to it

"Look at us! We have a woman on the bridge in our pilot episode, and she's second in command! We're so PC!"
    "Look at us! We have Blacks and Asians as officers on the bridge! We're so PC!"
    "Look at us! We have an interracial kiss! We're so PC!"
    "Look at us! We have racist aliens being racists with their own people, and it's really bad! We're so PC!"
    "Look at us! We're Star Trek! We've always had social commentary since day one! We're so PC!"

I'm guessing you must have skipped pretty much the entire franchise then, eh?

So far the balance has not been too bad. Though thanks to the current environment, it's impossible to enjoy the show fully. For every character and scene there's always the nagging suspicion that's it's there for tokenism, rather than for the story.

And the more people/media point it out, the more it leans towards tokenism and this ruins the show for me.

The Orville handles this much better than STNW so I'm preferring that for now

So far the balance has not been too bad. Though thanks to the current environment, it's impossible to enjoy the show fully. For every character and scene there's always the nagging suspicion that's it's there for tokenism, rather than for the story.

And the more people/media point it out, the more it leans towards tokenism and this ruins the show for me.
    I'll take "Things That Are 100% In Your Head" for $500, Alex.

FFS, significantly more than half of the damn characters on the show are straight from the original series. I guess those "libtard" tokenists have been plotting this for more than half a century, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Infinity Cubed View Post
    I'll take "Things That Are 100% In Your Head" for $500, Alex.

FFS, significantly more than half of the damn characters on the show are straight from the original series. I guess those "libtard" tokenists have been plotting this for more than half a century, huh?
    You only read what you want to read, don't you? And then sprinkle some of your own misguided assumptions in the mix. Let me try to make it as simple as possible for you.

Putting whatever actor or scene in a show and not making a big deal out of it = fine
    Putting an actor or scene in a show to check off an inclusivity box and making sure it's featured in other media to score points = bad

For me star trek has always been about us getting over our differences, making a better future for ourselves and then moving into space, in this accepting future where there are presumably tens of billions of humans in t makes sense that we meet a trans person every now and again

Putting whatever actor or scene in a show and not making a big deal out of it = fine
    Putting an actor or scene in a show to check off an inclusivity box and making sure it's featured in other media to score points = bad
    But it is a big deal, because of people like you that want to keep people that aren't like you invisible in exactly the manner you are asking for. Various groups of people have been forced out onto the fringes of society for centuries and just now we're opening up the spaces for them to even exist publicly, of course that's going to be big freaking news.

And you don't know why they include an actor or scene at all, so how can you even say it's to "check off an inclusivity box". That's just your bigotry showing because people like you always assume that must be the case when one of these groups is represented. Which, again, is why it has to be shouted from the rooftops that they're there ... because too many people want to keep them invisible and they're tired of it.

You only read what you want to read, don't you?
    Nope.

Some people just tend not to be bright enough to realize when they're screaming their bigotry out loud from atop a mountain.

Quote Originally Posted by Infinity Cubed View Post
    Nope.

Some people just tend not to be bright enough to realize when they're screaming their bigotry out loud from atop a mountain.
    Yes yes, everyone who has a different opinion from you must be a bigot. Your rhetoric is self-fulfilling as usual.

- - - Updated - - -

But it is a big deal, because of people like you that want to keep people that aren't like you invisible in exactly the manner you are asking for. Various groups of people have been forced out onto the fringes of society for centuries and just now we're opening up the spaces for them to even exist publicly, of course that's going to be big freaking news.

And you don't know why they include an actor or scene at all, so how can you even say it's to "check off an inclusivity box". That's just your bigotry showing because people like you always assume that must be the case when one of these groups is represented. Which, again, is why it has to be shouted from the rooftops that they're there ... because too many people want to keep them invisible and they're tired of it.
    So.. in your narrow mind you translate it to something like: If you don't like the media attention about specific groups, then you automatically must hate them too.

How unsurprisingly extremist of you.

Yes yes, everyone who has a different opinion from you must be a bigot. Your rhetoric is self-fulfilling as usual.
    Nah. I'm not the one screaming about them having the sheer audacity to have a transgender character on a fictional sci-fi show that for over 50 years has included and treated marginalized characters like the normal people they are. But this reply does circle back around to my previous point.

So.. in your narrow mind you translate it to something like: If you don't like the media attention about specific groups, then you automatically must hate them too.

How unsurprisingly extremist of you.
    You're the one that said you want trans people to be invisible. Don't get upset with the rest of us for taking you at your word about what kind of person you are.

Do you get as upset when the talk about a show is "will they, won't they?" and claim it's "ticking a diversity box" or making a big deal about their sexuality? Or is your outrage only reserved for when it's marginalized groups that are achieving representation?

I don't remember a peep about X-Files shoving Mulder and Scully's sexuality down our throats for years and exploiting that sexual tension for views.

And let's not pretend your complaint was only about "media attention" when we can all read that you bitched about their inclusion at all.

- - - Updated - - -

Honestly, I'm happy with more people that have issues with the differences of others being run off from the fandom. If every person that cried about gay/trans/black/female people being on a show just stopped watching and bombarding the rest of us normal folk with their bigotry and just moved on to something else, that'd be swell.

Go watch Orville, as you suggested. It's written by Seth "Trans people make us puke" McFarlane so I'm sure it'll be right up your alley.

You're the one that said you want trans people to be invisible. Don't get upset with the rest of us for taking you at your word about what kind of person you are.

Do you get as upset when the talk about a show is "will they, won't they?" and claim it's "ticking a diversity box" or making a big deal about their sexuality? Or is your outrage only reserved for when it's marginalized groups that are achieving representation?

I don't remember a peep about X-Files shoving Mulder and Scully's sexuality down our throats for years and exploiting that sexual tension for views.

And let's not pretend your complaint was only about "media attention" when we can all read that you bitched about their inclusion at all.

- - - Updated - - -

Honestly, I'm happy with more people that have issues with the differences of others being run off from the fandom. If every person that cried about gay/trans/black/female people being on a show just stopped watching and bombarding the rest of us normal folk with their bigotry and just moved on to something else, that'd be swell.

Go watch Orville, as you suggested. It's written by Seth "Trans people make us puke" McFarlane so I'm sure it'll be right up your alley.
    You might want to update your prescription meds because you're showing your true hateful colors now. Or you can go high/five yourself on Twitter for 'setting me straight' (pun intended). The choice is yours.

Meanwhile I'll grab some popcorn and watch Orville S3E02. Where there might be gay/bi/trans people in it, but they're not being used as an exhibit outside the show. So they're just... you know... people.