Boy i hope this isn't a shitshow.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    Let's be real though, Pokemon voice acting will end up with Xenoblade 2 English kinda voice acting.
    Would there be an actual problem with that?

Xenoblade 2 on the whole has an actually good dub. I've seen far worse in various games, and it isn't even close.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefhammer View Post
    Just going to say I can go the rest of my life without every listening to VA in games. Only in unskippable cut scenes. If there is an option to turn off voices, I always do. The reason, almost 100% of the time the voice the game uses never matches up with what I think the character sounds like and I can read the dialogue so much faster than the lines being delivered. Not to mention, most of the time VA is so uninspired or cringy, I'd rather not listen to it. This applies to all my favorite games that have VA as well. Id rather the budget be used elsewhere. I know I'm a small minority in this regard, but if Pokemon never has VA or keeps it to a very minimum, I'd be fine with it.
    Yeah, also adding voice acting would slow down the game play a lot. I just experienced this with diablo immortal - I read atleast 3x the speed of the actualy voice acting there and honestly, it's a shit experience. I either have to skip or try to not read which is just annoying, so in the end I read, skip and the whole voice acting is actually for nothing. But that's also why I hate subtitles, can't focus on a movie if they are on.

#TEAMGIRAFFE

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Atia View Post
    But that's also why I hate subtitles, can't focus on a movie if they are on.
    Literally the same thing, you also can't focus on the art or animations in a game if you're reading the text instead of listening to VA and you wonder why people would prefer $60 games that sell 15 fucking million copies a year to enter the 21st century of video game design?

"yea yea yea but this whole one time I was annoyed I read the text too fast!" lol, imagine Sony releasing God of War Ragnarok with no voice acting they would get torn to shreds. Pokemon fans(well kind of Nintendo fans in general) gotta live high on that copium that no VA is "the right way"

I refuse to even let budgets be an excuse for it when niche ass JRPGs can get VAs like Laura Bailey. It also doesn't take up dev resources. Literally just being penny pinching clowns by not having it.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2022-06-11 at 09:13 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Only reason pokemon still hasn't adopted voice acting is because they figure they don't need to spend on it in order to get people to keep buying their games, it isn't rooted in some different idea about what's good game design.

Gamefreak and TPC are not some small one man indie devs, if they wanted to they could easily get some decent voice overs going for the games too.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Literally the same thing, you also can't focus on the art or animations in a game if you're reading the text instead of listening to VA and you wonder why people would prefer $60 games that sell 15 fucking million copies a year to enter the 21st century of video game design?

"yea yea yea but this whole one time I was annoyed I read the text too fast!" lol, imagine Sony releasing God of War Ragnarok with no voice acting they would get torn to shreds. Pokemon fans(well kind of Nintendo fans in general) gotta live high on that copium that no VA is "the right way"

I refuse to even let budgets be an excuse for it when niche ass JRPGs can get VAs like Laura Bailey. It also doesn't take up dev resources. Literally just being penny pinching clowns by not having it.
    I don't know, the whole style of any pokemon game was always that you had to read so I don't get what's suddenly wrong with that. Maybe I'm too old school for that, or maybe I just love reading books too much so this isn't really an issue for me. Same goes for WoW btw - I never had any issues reading quest texts simply because I grow up with Pokemon games where you also had to read quest textes instead of having to rely on voice acting.

And don't get me wrong, voice acting is good (if I can turn off the annoying subtitles), but voice acting with the current style of pokemon games (so basically the way they do it in diablo immortal) where you can't turn of the written stuff is just a worse experience for me. If they would change to square enix style cut scenes than yes, it would be cool, but than again that is kinda a different game than pokemon, right?

#TEAMGIRAFFE

Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post

Boy i hope this isn't a shitshow.
    why does it look like it's mobile game...
    I love digimon but I'm not sold on that game yet

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    Only reason pokemon still hasn't adopted voice acting is because they figure they don't need to spend on it in order to get people to keep buying their games, it isn't rooted in some different idea about what's good game design.

Gamefreak and TPC are not some small one man indie devs, if they wanted to they could easily get some decent voice overs going for the games too.
    excatly, no VA means higher profit and if look at the quality for last few games...
    they only care for profit

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rarhyx View Post

- - - Updated - - -

excatly, no VA means higher profit and if look at the quality for last few games...
    they only care for profit
    It also seems like you can only play as a guy .... which kinda kills the game for me sadly. We live in 2022, why they still make games that are genderlocked is beyond me. I get that it's supposed to be a visual novel but you can't tell me they couldn't record these voice lines twice ...

#TEAMGIRAFFE

Quote Originally Posted by rarhyx View Post
    It is visual novel with tactic RPG grid battles.

It also seems like you can only play as a guy .... which kinda kills the game for me sadly. We live in 2022, why they still make games that are genderlocked is beyond me. I get that it's supposed to be a visual novel but you can't tell me they couldn't record these voice lines twice ...
    What about games like Batman, God of War, Devil May Cry, Bayonetta, Horizon, TLoU2, BotW2, FFVIIR, xbc2, witcher 3, ect. Do those games need optional-gendered protagonists?

The only game I have ever played where Having two separate voice actors for the same character didn’t make the game much more generic, than if they would’ve chosen a personality, is the Mass Effect series. While that was done right, I don’t think any other developers can emulate consistently. It’s usually more like replacing Geralt with V. Pure downgrade to the whole game.
    Last edited by Zenfoldor; 2022-06-11 at 01:28 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Any game that lets you pick your gender and does nothing to make them different will have a worse story. So, no thanks

Xenoblade 2 on the whole has an actually good dub. I've seen far worse in various games, and it isn't even close.
    Yes, there would be.

Seeing worse doesn't mean it's acceptable. XC2 was straight past cringe at points with the VA, thank god they let you download the JP ones

Would say it has good voice actors, but really bad voice *acting*.
    I pretty much prefer ALL english voices, but it's like whoever was responsible for directing it, recorded it and just went with the first take "yep, perfect, see you tomorrow"
    Especially prefer the english voices or the Zekenator and Morag.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    Yes, there would be.

Seeing worse doesn't mean it's acceptable. XC2 was straight past cringe at points with the VA, thank god they let you download the JP ones
    The only thing annoying with the english dub was the battle lines, especially with the generic soldiers. Other than that it was typical shonen type story VAing both in Japanese or in English with the UK accents. Rex is just as annoying sounding in Japanese as he is in English and hes meant to be, sort of its straight up how the other characters also feel about him until they come to love it.

I mean, I guess if you really hate various UK accents you might not like the VA but there is nothing wrong with the actual acting itself and they are portraying the characters exactly how the Japanese VAs are, so if that's the issue it's an issue with the JP directors not really with the dub.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2022-06-11 at 07:56 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Meh. I dont think 2s english va is very good even if i prefer it

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    Meh. I dont think 2s english va is very good even if i prefer it
    The reason why english va is so weird, its due to voice actors told nothing abauth story to keep it secret.
    Don't sweat the details!!!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    The reason why english va is so weird, its due to voice actors told nothing abauth story to keep it secret.
    I dunno, maybe. Im 95% sure rex and pyra/mythra will be in 3 so we'll see how they sound in it

Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    I dunno, maybe. Im 95% sure rex and pyra/mythra will be in 3 so we'll see how they sound in it
    It would be quite an asspull to have rex in anything outside of flashbacks. Pyra/Mythra are definitely in there somewhere even if it's just some super boss.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    It would be quite an asspull to have rex in anything outside of flashbacks. Pyra/Mythra are definitely in there somewhere even if it's just some super boss.
    I expect a pre recorded message from pyra like adam, but a team up with them and shulk and alvin at the end due to dimentional shenanagins is also possible
    Last edited by Video Games; 2022-06-11 at 09:49 PM.

You can't play sales, but if you could, you would need a Switch.

https://www.imore.com/may-2022-npd

edit: also, go, go elden ring.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    It was all Rex honestly. While he did really grown on me, there is a certain cringe to standing his VA at the beginning that many will never get past(imo). Fix the Rex VA and they would go a long way to making XBC2 English VA not stand out as bad. As it stands, one of my fav games, have to turn on japanese va and miss all the battle call outs to play most of it, at least until Rex grows on one enough to stand him talking.

Another bad English VA job that almost ruins the character imo, is Kisara in Tales of Arise. Could have been one of the best characters, but I cringe upon dialogue. In both cases, imo, good characters that are hard to get into because of poor va choices.

I have another one for you. The WORST one by far compared to the japanese va. Shinya Oda in Persona 5(I assume both royal and vanilla). Tower confidant has a much, MUCH better japanese va, english VA sounds like an old lady doing a Bart Simpson impression. Terrible, almost ruinous. In a game with almost universally amazing VA and sound design, Shinya doesn't just stand out, he irks. I felt less interest in him as a confidant due to the VA.
    Last edited by Zenfoldor; 2022-06-14 at 03:38 PM.