Page 1 of 56
... LastLast

Instead of "Dracthyr", we should just get player-sized Dragons

The current approach just seems the worst of both worlds. We get these goofy-looking lizard-people, who aren't even a REAL race (almost zero transmog options), have NO passing connection in the game's lore, and apparently they fucking STILL have to go into Visage form to use mounts.

With so many restrictions in place, why not just make them LOOK like proper dragons -- just scaled-down to be comparable size to Druid forms, or Worgen's Running Wild?

For one, you don't then need to create a bunch of bullshit lore about WHY these humanoid-dragon-abominations exist, you can simply say "hey, Deathwing experimented with creating a "Prismatic Dragonflight", they're relatively young or just very small compared to other dragons". Boom, all bases covered.

And since the whole thing about the Evoker is that it's SUPPOSED to be a "playable dragon" class, well, wouldn't it be a whole lot cooler if they actually LOOKED the part? Instead of just looking like argonians from Elder Scrolls?

I would think making this shift would be a total slam-dunk for Blizzard. They still get to avoid adding all of the "usual" shit that genuinely new races need (custom-fit armor and transmogs, all sorts of animations, obvious clipping issues abound), and as a FANTASY, there's no denying that being able to "play as a dragon" -- again, even if physically smaller -- would be pretty freaking sick.

And personally? I'd let players choose any race (or at least those native to Azeroth) to use as a "Visage" form. Even if they don't get the "Dracthyr customization options", I personally think they kind of look like shit anyways. The horns are kind of cool, but I'd happily sacrifice them to not be stuck as a human or blood elf (nothing against those two options, but I think a Dark Iron or a Nightborne might better suit the sort of "look" I would gravitate towards).

Also... If you make them ACTUAL, smaller dragons, you can literally just call them "Dragons". I think that sounds way, way, WAY cooler than "Dracthyr". I'm also not particularly keen on "Evoker" (I initially thought it was Invoker, which I thought sounded cooler), but that's whatever.

Been saying this since the reveal.

It's a real flop compared to what it could have been

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    jesus christ no, wtf. mmo champion get the weirdest ideas, geez.

Quote Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
    With so many restrictions in place, why not just make them LOOK like proper dragons -- just scaled-down to be comparable size to Druid forms, or Worgen's Running Wild?
    Because that would look fucking stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Addiena
    Whats the saying .. You have two brain cells and they are both fighting for third place !

The dragons don't even need to be scaled down. Let the player pop a button and transform into a full sized dragon at will. That way they can walk into smaller buildings in humanoid form and then live out their dragon racial fantasy when they have room.

They should have just made shorter versions of the Drakanoid bipeds. ATM Saurok look more dragon like than Dracthyr
    'Words do not win wars. That is a tragedy.'

I'm just imagining how absurd normally-large creatures like Devilsaurs look when they're scaled down and their run animations are sped up 400% and, uh... yeah, playing miniature catdruid-sized dragons would probably look pretty dumb.
    confirmed by my uncle nitnendo and masahiro samurai

the current dracthyr look really lame but having a tiny scale dragon would also be pretty lame.

genuinely the saurok from mopandaria look a lot more dragon-like than the current dracthyr.

Did I miss something? When did 10.0 hit the PTR? Because ya'll talking about artwork that is, for all we know, place holders that were quickly done so that they could have something to show for the reveal.

Y'all come up with the goofiest ideas, I swear lmao

Quote Originally Posted by Kayb View Post
    They should have just made shorter versions of the Drakanoid bipeds. ATM Saurok look more dragon like than Dracthyr
    exactly. idk who thought reusing belfs that are perma lizard form was a better idea than the race that has been in the game since vanilla.

Quote Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
    For one, you don't then need to create a bunch of bullshit lore about WHY these humanoid-dragon-abominations exist, you can simply say "hey, Deathwing experimented with creating a "Prismatic Dragonflight", they're relatively young or just very small compared to other dragons". Boom, all bases covered.
    So your solution to not creating bullshit lore to explain something, is to create bullshit lore to explain something?

Because that would actually look good, fit the fantasy of playing a dragon, allow the use of a real flight form, and draw people back to the game!

Pffft...... can't have that.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, the fantasy of playing a dragon in WoW is the Dragon Aspects. Real dragons that transform into a mortal form but are full dragons otherwise.

For all the attention they gave her, player dragons should have been based off Chromie. And its not like they don't have scaling tech where WE could look a bit bigger to ourselves while having a slightly reduced size to other players to not be as difficult to see around in raids. A dragon the size of a Sandstone Drake mount (that we can already be) would have worked fine.

Or, we could have simply gone the route of A) you play in mortal form for the most part, B) cooldowns transform you into a big awesome dragon, C) out of combat flight form can be a big awesome dragon that can carry a friend on its back (to sell the class/xpac)

Making a class that really feels like a DRAGON wouldn't have been that hard. Instead they went the laziest route possible and made lizardmen with wings.

As much as I would hate for the visage form to be mandatory—they really should just make the dracthyr form fully functional and delete visage—if that ain't an option, you are certainly correct that that would indeed be much preferable.

Quote Originally Posted by Gumble View Post
    Making a class that really feels like a DRAGON wouldn't have been that hard. Instead they went the laziest route possible and made lizardmen with wings.
    See this is where I been in disagreement with people.

I'm looking forward to seeing all the aspects again, yes. More so the dragon aspect which was the promo art. Beside the one that has had overexposure past couple of expansions. (I feel that way with a lot of characters that have had excessive amount of coverage..)

I'm looking forward to dragongliding or riding whichever they referred it as. It will be nice to have some type of flying at the beginning of an expansion again. Very vet and new player friendly. I also dig the idea they could change the overall gameplay for flying in general. I am hoping it isn't just a gimmick for show with loops and twirls. That it actual flows and plays properly, maybe have some grappling in its gameplay too. Could fit in well with bosses..

Somewhat interested in Dragon race. It needs some tuning on both ends. Dragon form and visage, but we were advised they are going to tweak it. So we will find out in upcoming advertisements. I was in the bracket of wanting just a normal dragon form. Ya I can get why they didn't go that route and I see what others are saying. Normal dragon? Potentially doesn't come across as unique.. but ALL the dragons in game when they shift from visage to dragon form. They don't look like what they have advertised. So it was more or less more common assumption over something that was already established in the game.... I am not a huge naysayer on this. As long as it is player choice on what form they want to combat and play in.

The problem with me and I have expressed this to the company. They will more than likely not change direction either but what I have had an issue with. Is TOO much dragon stuff going on at this point. We didn't need a Dragon class. Love seeing dragon characters again and some story associated with them. Dragongliding seems like it has potential to be fun. Race might clean up nicely. Why a class tho?

Why is the first hero caster class tied so heavily in with a singular race? To the point no other race can play it. This bothers me.
    So they could've took all these other neat ideas like... crazy amount of customization and put it into the dragonriding mount. (which I think they are doing some of this..) Or take skill sets that scream dragon gameplay and NOT a unique new class.. put THAT into dragonriding mount for combat. Aerial combat that all of a sudden EVERY race could participate in (due to tied in with mount not a class)... doesn't this sound so much better?

I tried to ask politely to separate the dragon identity from the new hero class. They will probably act like it is too far in development when it is not...
    if they did this we might have a potential to have the class be overall more appealing. (Currently as it stands I don't have the desire to play Evoker class.) More importantly not chained to a singular race. I also dislike the race is tied to only one class too.

I'm not trying to come across as arrogant. I'm simply expressing the truth. How currently certain things stand... I don't have much interest in making either of the two new features (class and race) of the expansion and that feels wrong to me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Due to technical and size limitations, our options were a tiny dragon about the size of a feral cat, or the Dracthyr that are winged, bipedal dragons that stand taller than Tauren.

Blizzard chose the latter, and we're better for it.

I honestly dont get all the hate for Drakthyr. They look fine.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sometimes mmochamp feels like a kindergarden brainstorming group ...

Getting dracon(o)ids was always the only real possibility here. I'd argue that the issues lay more with the details of their design, be it visuals, supposed gameplay features or the lore. The visuals is something we should get used to anyway, as the art style won't change back to trying to be metal again and instead will converge near the cheap plastic look that is popular in the industry right now. Maybe their customizations will make up for being lame half-naked lizards. The lore is not even worth addressing tbh, since it's newBlizz we are talking about, that ship has sailed years ago. That leaves gameplay and for that we will have to wait and see, maybe the assortment of totally not just slightly different mage spells will be worth it.
    Last edited by Cosmic Janitor; 2022-06-12 at 05:24 AM.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

Doesn't have to be actual dragons. I'd absolutely settle for draconoids that don't look shit.

But apparently that's too much to ask, idk.