Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    Yeah. Tons of cap space, managed to split with Matt Ryan amicably, managed to last-second dodge the Watson bullet, and Ridder's apparently not looked bad in practice so far.

If Ridder ends up being a hit for them then with all that cap space yeah they could be rebuilt by next year already.
    They split from Ryan because of pursuing Watson, not really that amicable. Cap space is nice, but sorta overrated. It is good to have if you have a solid core, but not nearly as valuable if you are a truly bottom 5-10 team. Look at Jaguars every year. They have a ton of cap, and not enough good FA to properly spend it on (Although even then they manage to do terrible job). Falcons best bet is being bottom 1-2 this year. Either Ridder is legit and they can trade back picking up a haul from a QB needy team or if Ridder flops take one themselves. They get Ridley back next year, him and an ascended Pitts would be good for a young QB.

10+ Year Old Account
    Falcons might need to do what the Panthers did and draft a whole new defense. Of course their biggest issue on that side of the ball has been injuries, no idea what they'd look like with people healthy.
    /s

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grube View Post
    Dean Spanos is being sued by his sister. The most surprising thing to me about this is their parents named them Dean and Dea.
    Can we get this mess to end in a sale to someone who'll move them to a city where people care?
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

10+ Year Old Account
    Spanos family are terrible people, dying for them to sell. I could actually be a Chargers fan instead of just a Herbert fan if that happened.
    /s

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    Spanos family are terrible people, dying for them to sell. I could actually be a Chargers fan instead of just a Herbert fan if that happened.
    I mean you'd never struggle for getting tickets, there's so few of them.
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

Quote Originally Posted by NotBigzo View Post
    Over 100 million in cap space next season. They could rebuild in a year's time from now for real.
    The Falcons will figure out a way to Falcon that up somehow. Won't matter if the O-line imitates the turnstiles at an Atlanta Marta station.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Faltemer View Post
    They split from Ryan because of pursuing Watson, not really that amicable. Cap space is nice, but sorta overrated. It is good to have if you have a solid core, but not nearly as valuable if you are a truly bottom 5-10 team. Look at Jaguars every year. They have a ton of cap, and not enough good FA to properly spend it on (Although even then they manage to do terrible job). Falcons best bet is being bottom 1-2 this year. Either Ridder is legit and they can trade back picking up a haul from a QB needy team or if Ridder flops take one themselves. They get Ridley back next year, him and an ascended Pitts would be good for a young QB.
    Ryan's trade really had nothing to do with Watson. Terry Fontenot said that they had started looking to trade Ryan before they considered trading for Watson. Of course that could just be smoke and mirrors. Seems that the Falcons lucked out by missing out on Watson.

Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    Ryan's trade really had nothing to do with Watson. Terry Fontenot said that they had started looking to trade Ryan before they considered trading for Watson. Of course that could just be smoke and mirrors. Seems that the Falcons lucked out by missing out on Watson.
    Seems likely that it is just teamspeak after messing things up. If they wanted to trade Ryan I can't imagine a scenario where Commanders give up so much for Wentz when Ryan was available for so much less?

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The Falcons will figure out a way to Falcon that up somehow. Won't matter if the O-line imitates the turnstiles at an Atlanta Marta station.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd believe it. There were people who thought last offseason they were going to deal Ryan already. Can't say why you'd want to move on from good and go play the draft lottery, but it seems the Falcons decided they weren't going to be good in time for Ryan to still be good.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    I'd believe it. There were people who thought last offseason they were going to deal Ryan already. Can't say why you'd want to move on from good and go play the draft lottery, but it seems the Falcons decided they weren't going to be good in time for Ryan to still be good.
    They reworked Ryans deal before the 2021 season to push money into the future to keep their LB Jones. They definitely were not trying to move him then.

15+ Year Old Account
    Seems likely that it is just teamspeak after messing things up. If they wanted to trade Ryan I can't imagine a scenario where Commanders give up so much for Wentz when Ryan was available for so much less?
    And don’t forget the Watson Falcons jersey shown and how down to the wire it came. The timing for when Ryan left and reports of his outrage could not have looked any more like he felt blindsided and Falcons were left giving him a mea culpa release.

Gotta say though, it kills me every season the Colts are just a QB from the SB with the best O-line in the league, all coming about after Luck retires. In retrospect I don’t think he’ll be remembered for how good he was.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumboy View Post
    I'm not sure if you guys have noticed but sometimes I say things that are kind of dumb
    I just like reading about the "vigorous rubbing" that might affect ball inflation.

They reworked Ryans deal before the 2021 season to push money into the future to keep their LB Jones. They definitely were not trying to move him then.
    Ryan is starting to decline. You can tell. The ball doesn't have the zip it used to have on it. Was better to eat his money now and then later when he would be that much more.

- - - Updated - - -

Trouble is LB Jones might have been worth it. Surgery and missing OTAs or whatever it is going on now. Could be why LB Jones isn't that great. I think you mean D. Jones.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ProphetFlume View Post
    And don’t forget the Watson Falcons jersey shown and how down to the wire it came. The timing for when Ryan left and reports of his outrage could not have looked any more like he felt blindsided and Falcons were left giving him a mea culpa release.

Gotta say though, it kills me every season the Colts are just a QB from the SB with the best O-line in the league, all coming about after Luck retires. In retrospect I don’t think he’ll be remembered for how good he was.
    I'll be interested to see what Ryan does do in Indy.

Ryan is starting to decline. You can tell. The ball doesn't have the zip it used to have on it. Was better to eat his money now and then later when he would be that much more.

Trouble is LB Jones might have been worth it. Surgery and missing OTAs or whatever it is going on now. Could be why LB Jones isn't that great. I think you mean D. Jones.
    I agree Ryan seems to be on the decline, its just if the Falcons thought that prior to last year no way they rework his deal.

I meant the Linebacker by saying LB and yea that is Deion Jones.

Ryan is way better than Wentz and better than Rivers was 2 years ago. He should do well in Indy where he can mostly rely on Jonathan Taylor.

He is obviously near the end of his career, but the Falcons are also #1 pick contenders this year without him. Kyle Pitts (rookie TEs are very bad to rely on) and Cordarrelle Patterson was all they had on offense, they might have been the worst offense talent wise in the league.

Quote Originally Posted by Grube View Post
    Ryan is way better than Wentz and better than Rivers was 2 years ago. He should do well in Indy where he can mostly rely on Jonathan Taylor.

He is obviously near the end of his career, but the Falcons are also #1 pick contenders this year without him. Kyle Pitts (rookie TEs are very bad to rely on) and Cordarrelle Patterson was all they had on offense, they might have been the worst offense talent wise in the league.
    Pitts is kinda more of a WR than TE honestly. The Falcons aren't getting the #1 pick this year. Maybe a Top 10. Hell they could Falcon it up make the playoffs and SuperBowl then lose 54 to 3.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ravens' Jaylon Ferguson died age 26. Sad news.

HOFer Tony Siragusa also died today at age 55.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    HOFer Tony Siragusa also died today at age 55.
    I've been reading this every time I refreshed the page in the past couple of days and every time I was like "He was a HoF'er?!" so I decided to look it up, and he's not. The highest honor he seems to have gotten was honorary captain for his college team after his playing days were over.

10+ Year Old Account
    Dude's most famous moment was cheap hit on another player, he'll never be HoF.
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

15+ Year Old Account
    I liked him as a sideline guy. Probably the only guy to do that without looking out of place.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumboy View Post
    I'm not sure if you guys have noticed but sometimes I say things that are kind of dumb
    I just like reading about the "vigorous rubbing" that might affect ball inflation.

I coulda sworn I saw something calling him a HoFer. My bad.