The most important thing we know about elvish armor is really only important because it’s so different from what we see in the Peter Jackson movies: the elves are never mentioned as having plate armor. In fact, it doesn’t seem likely that any of Middle Earth’s warriors wore plate armor (though this is debated a bit by fans that know way more about armor than I do.) Instead, the armor that Tolkien always mentions is armor made of chain mail. Occasionally some other “plate-ish” pieces are mentioned, such as vambraces (which cover the forearms) and helmets (which were definitely common, as Tolkien mentions helmets on many occasions.) But, in general, I think that the most “accurate” depiction of elvish armor would be based more on chain mail with little to no plate armor. Shields would also be used pretty commonly (and we know for sure that Gil-galad had a shield, so it stands to reason that other elves of the Second Age would as well.)
    That being said, it’s said time and again that the elves were the best at making weapons and armor, and were leagues ahead of anything men could make. So, since any “real world” references are obviously man-made, it stands to reason that elvish armor would be… well, better. So a direct reproduction of “real world” armor wouldn’t be accurate, since it’s implied that the elves could do way better that that. Which gives you a fair bit of artistic license, I guess.

- - - Updated - - -

https://askmiddlearth.tumblr.com/pos...2/elvish-armor

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    The most important thing we know about elvish armor is really only important because it’s so different from what we see in the Peter Jackson movies: the elves are never mentioned as having plate armor. In fact, it doesn’t seem likely that any of Middle Earth’s warriors wore plate armor (though this is debated a bit by fans that know way more about armor than I do.) Instead, the armor that Tolkien always mentions is armor made of chain mail. Occasionally some other “plate-ish” pieces are mentioned, such as vambraces (which cover the forearms) and helmets (which were definitely common, as Tolkien mentions helmets on many occasions.) But, in general, I think that the most “accurate” depiction of elvish armor would be based more on chain mail with little to no plate armor. Shields would also be used pretty commonly (and we know for sure that Gil-galad had a shield, so it stands to reason that other elves of the Second Age would as well.)
    That being said, it’s said time and again that the elves were the best at making weapons and armor, and were leagues ahead of anything men could make. So, since any “real world” references are obviously man-made, it stands to reason that elvish armor would be… well, better. So a direct reproduction of “real world” armor wouldn’t be accurate, since it’s implied that the elves could do way better that that. Which gives you a fair bit of artistic license, I guess.

- - - Updated - - -

https://askmiddlearth.tumblr.com/pos...2/elvish-armor
    So the artistic license taken in giving elves plate armour is the same the LotR trilogy took giving Gondorians plate armour.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    So the artistic license taken in giving elves plate armour is the same the LotR trilogy took giving Gondorians plate armour.
    I mean hell, of all the problems with the ridiculous Hobbit movies, I don't think the Mirkwood elves running around in their bright shiny plate armor was one I ever saw people making a big deal over.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    I hope you don't think the stuff in the Jackson movies are the first/only concepts of what elves would wear.
    Besides the fact that elves in the lotr movies did wear plate armour too.

#TEAMGIRAFFE

Except that hasn't been established at all, there's been nothing that shows the creators of the Amazon series don't have the same love and respect for Tolkien's work.
    Strongly disagree, based on the promo material released thus far.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkAmbient View Post
    Strongly disagree with you disagreeing, based on the promo material released thus far. Or are you just mad that we have black elves and dwarfes now?^^

#TEAMGIRAFFE

Quote Originally Posted by DarkAmbient View Post
    Do you have examples or just a vague and baseless feeling?

10+ Year Old Account
    Do you have examples or just a vague and baseless feeling?
    All that promo material. 20 pictures and a teaser

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashana Darkmoon View Post
    Its true though that was always a really tiny number, those movies are super beloved by basically everyone with a pulse.

Very different ratio with a lot of new stuff!

Sounds almost lame to say, but if something is good it won't matter. Some GoT purists also hated that show but it was also widely successful for X seasons.

Feel like Strange New Worlds and the Mandalorian are interested examples here, because they are broadly being accepted as great shows by most fans while stuff like Picard and Book of Boba are widely criticized.

I think it's really as simple as people like good things and hate bad ones!
    People hate Picard because it does nothing but disrespect beloved legacy characters and completely morphed their personalities into bitter, negative and hopeless shallow losers rather than deep characters with both positive and negative characteristics. Book of Boba Fett is dumb because much like Obi-wan, it's trying to push a lead character that isn't the titled character, not to mention Boba Fett is a bounty hunter that doesn't talk much or reveal his face, those are both primary aspects of the mystique of the character that people loved. Hence why the show is stupid and criticized.

I expect this show to be nothing but mediocre fan fiction. You have inexperienced creators behind it who clearly don't have any deep knowledge about the lore of Middle Earth and they have to try and promote it with "influencers" whose only critique is about representation screams that this show is going to be nothing but shallow, CGI loaded fan fiction with God awful writing.
    Last edited by Rennadrel; 2022-06-12 at 12:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hansworst View Post
    Just vaguely waving hands around then.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    So much CGI, it's actually pretty disgusting. The great thing about Peter Jackson's films is that there's pretty much zero CGI outside of Gollum and even that felt natural in terms of blending with the rest of the film. When it's so painfully obvious that the setpieces are CGI and the characters even look fake, it is a distraction from whatever else might be going on.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    The great thing about Peter Jackson's films is that there's pretty much zero CGI outside of Gollum
    Well, that's just pure bullshit. In nearly every movie made in the past few decades, there's so much being touched up and enhanced with CG effects it's not even funny. Things you might not even think about, like a simple shot of a street out of a window. The first LotR trilogy was no exception. I mean for fuck's sake, they basically had to invent an engine for those massive "CG character on CG character" battles in all 3 movies. The LotR movies hold up because they chose to use practical effects wherever they could, but please...let's not say laughable garbage like there being "pretty much zero CGI."
    Last edited by s_bushido; 2022-06-12 at 01:02 PM.

People hate Picard because it does nothing but disrespect beloved legacy characters and completely morphed their personalities into bitter, negative and hopeless shallow losers rather than deep characters with both positive and negative characteristics. Book of Boba Fett is dumb because much like Obi-wan, it's trying to push a lead character that isn't the titled character, not to mention Boba Fett is a bounty hunter that doesn't talk much or reveal his face, those are both primary aspects of the mystique of the character that people loved. Hence why the show is stupid and criticized.

I expect this show to be nothing but mediocre fan fiction. You have inexperienced creators behind it who clearly don't have any deep knowledge about the lore of Middle Earth and they have to try and promote it with "influencers" whose only critique is about representation screams that this show is going to be nothing but shallow, CGI loaded fan fiction with God awful writing.
    I don't have a lot of faith but I'm willing to take a look at the first episode. Long as it's not halo bad will give it more then one.

So much CGI, it's actually pretty disgusting. The great thing about Peter Jackson's films is that there's pretty much zero CGI outside of Gollum and even that felt natural in terms of blending with the rest of the film. When it's so painfully obvious that the setpieces are CGI and the characters even look fake, it is a distraction from whatever else might be going on.
    Totes!

Those massive armies, the ents, Rivendell, all of the towers and castles, the dwarves on their giant boars, every single orc in the Hobbit, <continues on for a good half hour>... none of it was CGI. True story.

Quote Originally Posted by Infinity Cubed View Post
    Totes!

Those massive armies, the ents, Rivendell, all of the towers and castles, the dwarves on their giant boars, every single orc in the Hobbit, <continues on for a good half hour>... none of it was CGI. True story.
    I don't think Orlando Boom gets enough praise for his excellent skills at surfing elephants.

10+ Year Old Account
    Weta workshop was specifically created for digital effects. And yes while they do use some practical effects they used a shitton of CGI in the trilogy.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Weta workshop was specifically created for digital effects. And yes while they do use some practical effects they used a shitton of CGI in the trilogy.
    Yeah but it doesn't look so patently obvious that it's not real, like it actually blends in really well. Whereas in The Hobbit holy christ the CGI is so blatantly obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by BeepBoo View Post
    Nah, respect the source to the T if you're telling something with a source. Otherwise, I'm happy to let franchises use all the lore and world building to tell completely new and novel series in the same universe. But anything else? Fuck no.

Nope.
    You might want to look at his post history in the Star Citizen thread. Dude obsesses about certain things and when he does the creators of it can do no wrong.
    I bring this up because it's funny you quoted him as saying "The worst person to judge anything is the hardcore fan as they are completely biased."

Yeah but it doesn't look so patently obvious that it's not real, like it actually blends in really well.
    Yeaaaaaah, okay.

I was completely convinced the Balrog and trolls, as two quick examples, were real. No signs whatsoever that they blatantly CGI. And that Eye of Sauron? Totes thought it was 100% a practical effect. You got me. Mea culpa.

Quote Originally Posted by Velshin View Post
    Well the old three movies were deviate from the source material, they changed many things compare to the original Tolkien’s books.
    Yes, but in my opinion, most of the changes were for the better.

- - - Updated - - -

I’ll take a look at the series. It could be good. In my opinion, the 3 LOTR movies are the best trilogy ever made, especially in their extended versions. I have no problems with the things that differ from the books. I think in almost every case, they are improvements. Gimli’s character, for example, is much more engaging in the movies. The Hobbit movies are also good and I think the CGI is incredible in all of them.
    Desktop ------------------------------- Laptop- Asus ROG Zephyrus G14
    AMD Ryzen 5 5600X CPU ---------------AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS with Radeon 680M graphics
    AMD RX 6600XT GPU -------------------AMD Radeon RX 6800S discrete graphics
    16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM ----------------16 GB DDR5-4800 RAM
    1 TB WD Black SN770 NVMe SSD ------1 TB WD Black SN850 NVMe SSD