Page 23 of 30 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by username993720 View Post
    Are you talking about Forsaken Undead, the race?
    yes the forsaken race, being one and having the required skill is all one needs to be a dark ranger.

The Elven conversion bits are solely for people who already have an elvan ranger character but want to convert to horde to play in another campaign.

I don't wanna download the whole thing.
    The PDF’s open in your web browser in a matter of seconds.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

I don't wanna download the whole thing.
    Er, it just opens up like a webpage. Even if you're using your phone.

Honestly, what source do you even need? The ruleset of the WoW RPG is based on D&D, and takes Prestige Classes into account. Prestige Classes are custom classes that can be unlocked by any Core class if you meet the requirements. That's ultimately what informs the classes of the WoW RPG and why their lore is ultimately different from WoW. The only comparable system to Prestige Classes is literally Race customizations that mimic other Classes. Like your Gnome Rogue able to wield Glaives of Azzinoth and Blindfolds; that is what the

Like I said, there's some major differences like no Blood Elves on the Horde, which is why there is even a subsection of Elven Ranger conversion into Dark Ranger. Blood Elves are an Independent faction not tied directly to Horde or Alliance. The Elven Ranger itself is a Prestige class for the Alliance, which you access through playing any core class. This means your Warlock or Paladin or Druid character can become a Ranger or Dark Ranger, as long as you take the right combination of skills and traits.

It's not going to list every class combo in the requirements section anyways since it expects you to know how Prestige Classes actually work. It just lists what is required; being a Forsaken, being on the Horde, taking Stealth and Survival etc.
    Last edited by Triceron; 2022-06-13 at 06:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorgar Aurelian View Post
    yes the forsaken race, being one and having the required skill is all one needs to be a dark ranger.

The Elven conversion bits are solely for people who already have an elvan ranger character but want to convert to horde to play in another campaign.
    Since Undead Forsaken can be Dark Rangers, as well as Night elves who joined their ranks (and Void elves, who are former High elves) this is no issue.

The question is. Do Dark Rangers in the RPG use other classes skills?

Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    This means your Warlock or Paladin or Druid character can become a Ranger or Dark Ranger, as long as you take the right combination of skills and traits.
    Does that mean you are a whole new class or are you just a Warlock, Paladin, Druid with a pale skin and red eyes?

7+ Year Old Account
    Since Undead Forsaken can be Dark Rangers, as well as Night elves who joined their ranks (and Void elves, who are former High elves) this is no issue.

The question is. Do Dark Rangers in the RPG use other classes skills?
    as far as ability's go there are feat's and spells and they use both from other classes as they share some feats with elven rangers (and mabye other classes) and here is there spell list which has overlap with priest warlocks Elvan rangers necromancers dk's and likely a few other's but I'm not gonna check.

1st Level — Cause fear, charm person, cure light wounds, doom, inflict
    light wounds, lesser shadow word pain, magic weapon, shadowmeld,
    summon undead I.
    2nd Level — Black arrow*, cat’s grace, cure moderate wounds,
    darkness, death knell, owl’s wisdom, inflict moderate wounds, silence,
    summon undead II.
    3rd Level — Banshee’s curse*, contagion, cure serious wounds,
    deeper darkness, inflict serious wounds, poison*, shadow word pain,
    suggestion, summon undead III.
    4th Level — Bestow curse, cure critical wounds, drain life, dominate
    person, freedom of movement, inflict critical wounds, summon undead
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

Does that mean you are a whole new class or are you just a Warlock, Paladin, Druid with a pale skin and red eyes?
    Both. Prestige classes are elaborate multiclasses. You retain all the abilities and identity of your Core class and you gain new abilities and identity of your Prestige.

You can be a Barbarian/Dark Ranger or a Paladin/Dark Ranger or a Arcanist of Warlock Path/Dark Ranger. There's nothing that limits you to say Paladins can't be Dark Rangers, or Dark Rangers are unable to Summon Demons, or Dark Rangers can't start using 2H axes. As long as you meet the requirements of the Prestige class, you can take it up. And the only real requirements is being Forsaken (or Alliance Elf converted to Forsaken), being on Horde, and taking up 6 ranks in Stealth and Survival.
    Last edited by Triceron; 2022-06-14 at 03:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorgar Aurelian View Post
    as far as ability's go there are feat's and spells and they use both from other classes as they share some feats with elven rangers (and mabye other classes) and here is there spell list which has overlap with priest warlocks Elvan rangers necromancers dk's and likely a few other's but I'm not gonna check.
    Basically, Dark Ranger abilities.
    No Paladin, Druid or Mage spells.

Both. Prestige classes are elaborate multiclasses. You retain all the abilities and identity of your Core class and you gain new abilities and identity of your Prestige.

You can be a Barbarian/Dark Ranger or a Paladin/Dark Ranger or a Arcanist of Warlock Path/Dark Ranger. There's nothing that limits you to say Paladins can't be Dark Rangers, or Dark Rangers are unable to Summon Demons, or Dark Rangers can't start using 2H axes. As long as you meet the requirements of the Prestige class, you can take it up. And the only real requirements is being Forsaken (or Alliance Elf converted to Forsaken), being on Horde, and taking up 6 ranks in Stealth and Survival.
    So, Dark Rangers have Holy and Nature spells in the RPG?
    Or, is it the case of Death Knights where your former character is transformed into a new class?

There are only 3 types of magic in the WoW RPG. Arcane, Divine, and 'Other'. Holy and Nature falls under Divine spellcasting.

The WoW RPG literally states that the Dark Ranger is part Divine spellcaster, part Warrior. Cure Serious Wounds is one of their abilities, which you could consider a Holy spell considering it's the bread and butter Cleric healing ability in D&D. Also, you could be a Druid or Paladin base Dark Ranger, which means you could absolutely retain Holy and Nature abilities through those Core classes.

Or, is it the case of Death Knights where your former character is transformed into a new class?
    It doesn't work like WoW at all.

Prestige Classes are like WoW Specs that you can choose to add to your class. As long as you meet the requirements for it (ie, take the right talents and do the quest for it) your character would become undead, be affililated with the factions that DK's are associated with (Independent in the RPG) and your character would be defined as playable as the DM wishes. Prestige classes have to be approved by your DM for the campaign you wish to play, so it's not comparable to WoW's Alliance and Horde-centric gameplay at all. Like, you could literally play as the Scourge in the RPG if you wanted to, but only if the DM approves it for the game they're running. Even Blood Elves are considered an independent faction, and you merely RP yourself as a mercenary or temporary ally more than anything.

The last WoW RPG book, Dark Factions, introduced many new playable independent factions like the Scarlet Crusade, Cult of the Damned or Azshara's Naga. But like any Prestige class, you need to have your character approved by the DM, or have the DM suggest the option to the players, in order for it to be playable. It isn't just a matter of 'I want to be a Gnome Druid/Demon Hunter' because the game allows you to do it; it's all up to the DM and how they want to enforce the lore and rules.

The WoW RPG is literally a loose guideline for a 'Make your own Adventure' game. The WoW RPG lore is just a basic setting for what is otherwise a DIY Azeroth created by the DM. It's like how WC3 Multiplayer lets your Night Elf army hire Goblin Tinkers and Pitlords from a Tavern for your adventure. It's just a basic setting for non-canon adventures.
    Last edited by Triceron; 2022-06-14 at 05:05 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Basically, Dark Ranger abilities.
    No Paladin, Druid or Mage spells.
    Mages can get fear, Druids can get owls wisdom/cats grace and inflect wounds, paladins can get cure wounds, the dark ranger spell list pull from all of the wow esc classes with spell list.

Yes see above.

7+ Year Old Account
    Stuffed teddy bear. Does it have meaning or not? The only answer comes from an individual's perspective. It works the same way. The stuffed teddy bear itself has no meaning, and it can only mean something to the individual if they choose it to mean something.

I would also argue there is no real meaning behind Death Knights permanently being undead. From a gameplay perspective, all of your racials are still derived from your living Race; including accessing racials that you literally should not have from being an undead being. Death Knights are supposed to be considered abominations by all living beings, yet a Human Death Knight retains reputation bonus through Diplomacy. Undead NE turning into Wisps beyond death? Why weren't they Wisps in the first place? How are they accessing this secondary form of undeath? Or Pandaren retaining Gourmand even though a Death Knight no longer has the need to eat to sustain themselves? There is no meaning here either.

All we're looking at is a limitation of customization options for DK's not being able to look 'alive' again, and I wouldn't consider that limitation being any more meaningful than an Elf that looks Undead.
    Its only a matter of perspective: mine, yours... developers.

Basically all of this stuff are purely aesthetic or for convenience... so, from a game perspective, its complicated cut a Pandaren racial only on a DK, more easly consider a Panda can cook and eat but not for nutrition.

Its a kind of inconsistencies to expose as an exercise for its own sake, but it's there for "convenience".

The issue is that DK its a CLASS, that you can enbrace only if you are dead! So, dead its a permanent status.

Elf its a RACE, its alive by definition and you have to go to the barber shop, pay gold to a goblin to look like dead. Death, is not a permanent status (unless you are a DK).

A side from the fact that a DK already look more "alive" than an Forsaken... its dead.

So, if you consider the inconsistencie to have racials from live races... isnt even more inconsistencie that a dead class must look like alive?
    The fact that you are resurrect but you haven't lost your racials in the process, its more logic than a undeath that look as alive.

The elf, by now, is a Schrödinger's cat: can simultaneously alive and dead just as a result of its fate being linked not to a random subatomic event that may or may not occur, but on an aestetical choise. So, today can look as dead but not tomorrow.

You Dk is dead.. forever.
    Argus in 2018 My prediction failed in part... But I'm still a Spacegoat

Quote Originally Posted by Tartys View Post

Basically all of this stuff are purely aesthetic or for convenience... so, from a game perspective, its complicated cut a Pandaren racial only on a DK, more easly consider a Panda can cook and eat but not for nutrition.

Its a kind of inconsistencies to expose as an exercise for its own sake, but it's there for "convenience".

The issue is that DK its a CLASS, that you can enbrace only if you are dead! So, dead its a permanent status.

Elf its a RACE, its alive by definition and you have to go to the barber shop, pay gold to a goblin to look like dead. Death, is not a permanent status (unless you are a DK).

A side from the fact that a DK already look more "alive" than an Forsaken... its dead.

So, if you consider the inconsistencie to have racials from live races... isnt even more inconsistencie that a dead class must look like alive?
    The fact that you are resurrect but you haven't lost your racials in the process, its more logic than a undeath that look as alive.

The elf, by now, is a Schrödinger's cat: can simultaneously alive and dead just as a result of its fate being linked not to a random subatomic event that may or may not occur, but on an aestetical choise. So, today can look as dead but not tomorrow.

They look like a drow (dark ranger) not dead elf that the real reason many like it. Who not playing wow will think they are drow like many thing Sylvanas is a drow not a dead elf.
    Many reaction of the game trailers on yourtube, like legion or bfa ppls think she is a drow.
    Easy to sell because she is not rot so can be still sexy and that from a marketing perspective: perfection
    You think many fans wanna be dead or forsaken, who wanna look like Sylvanas, they just embrace a cool sexy elf, not what the forsaken represent.

Quote Originally Posted by Tartys View Post

---

While our perception of how we represent our character is a matter of perspective, the actual lore that is represented through gameplay options is not.

If they are presenting these customization options to allow an official representation of Dark Rangers, then that is what we take this to be. Same with Green Fire questline, same with DK's being accessible to Gnomes and Pandaren. We take that at face value because that is what they present being available to us.

If you choose to be living one day and dead the next, that is merely a mechanics thing. But the point is, playable Living and Dead Elf are being represented through customizations. You aren't a Living Elf that merely looks like a Dead Elf, your customizations literally reflect you being a Dead Elf if you use that customzization. Just like a Black human skin isn't a White Human merely cosmetically making themselves look Black. You are choosing to become a Black Human character by going to the barbershop and changing your skin tone. What the lore defines is that Humans come in skin tones ranging from White to Black, and not other colors like Green, Red and Blue. It is merely your choice in what skin tone you choose, and you are not playing a shapeshifting chameleon Human that is all skin tones at once just because you have the option to change it at the Barbershop.

If your argument is all Humans are white and picking a skin tone is merely an aesthetic for White Humans choosing to look Black, then I would disagree with your personal perspective. This isn't a Schrodinger's cat argument, because we're literally opening the box and choosing the results. The cat is only both dead and alive if we don't open the box. The customization options are literally opening the box to present either a Living or Dead Elf customization that you choose as your avatar.

The Elf you play is not 'Both Dead and Alive'. It is either Dead or Alive, of your personal choice through customization options.Your character's existence and actions do not create new lore, your character is merely an avatar for you to interact in a world where the lore progresses; bound to the lore-based limitations of what your race and class allow you to be. Your choice of aesthetics at that moment in time represents what your character is.

Same can be said of Specs; if you are actively playing a Guardian Spec Druid, it does not mean you are also a Resto and Balance and Feral spec all at that same time. You can say that you are a Druid who has access to all of those specs, but you can't make any claim to say you are all those Specs simultaneously at once just because you have the option to change specs at will. You are defined by what you are playing at this moment in time.
    Last edited by Triceron; 2022-06-14 at 05:57 PM.

Okay so we'll never get an actual class, got it.

I'm all for these added customizations, and now I'm racking my brain trying to come up with some more...

Lightforged Draenei should count as a customization IMO.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Nice stories, but playing with it for some time now and 100% yes the rp part of it is what makes it awkward. Enjoy your own little story what you want to be is what makes it silly. You can only rp this far.. It doesnt feel good enough imo.

The pala and drui pale skin red eyes still doesnt feel right either, nor will it ever without any explanation.. Well this is what you get. Shame.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Spoondagger View Post
    I'm all for these added customizations, and now I'm racking my brain trying to come up with some more...

Lightforged Draenei should count as a customization IMO.
    I agree on lf part.. add Hm to that list as well for example.
    Last edited by Alanar; 2022-06-25 at 10:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Omians View Post
    if i had to guess for Invoker. other races will learn invoker magic and the Draconic like effects will be copied into a Transparent effects like Mage's Dragon's breath.

but yes the hold up being Racial specific parts of classes would make things take longer
    Or just make invokers able to keep their visage in combat, only swapping in and out for attacks and being able to choose the visage of any playable race.

The lore for them does. WoW RPG literally has any class becoming a Dark Ranger, just like customizations allow now in WoW.
    Dressing like one does not make you one. Just like dressing up as Darth Vader does not actually make you Darth Vader.

I guess that's their way of saying that Dark Ranger and Night Warrior before it are purely represented through cosplaying?

7+ Year Old Account
    There are only 3 types of magic in the WoW RPG. Arcane, Divine, and 'Other'. Holy and Nature falls under Divine spellcasting.

The WoW RPG literally states that the Dark Ranger is part Divine spellcaster, part Warrior. Cure Serious Wounds is one of their abilities, which you could consider a Holy spell considering it's the bread and butter Cleric healing ability in D&D. Also, you could be a Druid or Paladin base Dark Ranger, which means you could absolutely retain Holy and Nature abilities through those Core classes.

It doesn't work like WoW at all.

Prestige Classes are like WoW Specs that you can choose to add to your class. As long as you meet the requirements for it (ie, take the right talents and do the quest for it) your character would become undead, be affililated with the factions that DK's are associated with (Independent in the RPG) and your character would be defined as playable as the DM wishes. Prestige classes have to be approved by your DM for the campaign you wish to play, so it's not comparable to WoW's Alliance and Horde-centric gameplay at all. Like, you could literally play as the Scourge in the RPG if you wanted to, but only if the DM approves it for the game they're running. Even Blood Elves are considered an independent faction, and you merely RP yourself as a mercenary or temporary ally more than anything.

The last WoW RPG book, Dark Factions, introduced many new playable independent factions like the Scarlet Crusade, Cult of the Damned or Azshara's Naga. But like any Prestige class, you need to have your character approved by the DM, or have the DM suggest the option to the players, in order for it to be playable. It isn't just a matter of 'I want to be a Gnome Druid/Demon Hunter' because the game allows you to do it; it's all up to the DM and how they want to enforce the lore and rules.

The WoW RPG is literally a loose guideline for a 'Make your own Adventure' game. The WoW RPG lore is just a basic setting for what is otherwise a DIY Azeroth created by the DM. It's like how WC3 Multiplayer lets your Night Elf army hire Goblin Tinkers and Pitlords from a Tavern for your adventure. It's just a basic setting for non-canon adventures.
    That's how every pen and paper game works though. Rules are just a framework, and as long as your DM is fine you can do everything you want. Hence the (initial) super restricted character creation from WoW always felt kinda weird compared to D&D or other games.

#TEAMGIRAFFE

Quote Originally Posted by rrayy View Post
    Dressing like one does not make you one. Just like dressing up as Darth Vader does not actually make you Darth Vader.
    Except the lore does consider you one if you use those customizations for a Hunter. It's official now. We have a questline that rewards and recognizes these customizations as Dark Rangers.

Blizzard has 'retconned' Dark Ranger into being a race-specific title for Hunters, and just threw customizations our way to cover their asses. That's what playing as a Dark Ranger means today. It doesn't mean you get Banshee powers, it doesn't mean you get to Mind Control your enemies, it doesn't mean it's a standalone class. Blizzard has literally redefined them as another name for an Undead Elf Hunter.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Atia View Post
    That's how every pen and paper game works though. Rules are just a framework, and as long as your DM is fine you can do everything you want. Hence the (initial) super restricted character creation from WoW always felt kinda weird compared to D&D or other games.
    Exactly. That's the biggest difference between the WoW RPG and comparing it to WoW lore. The rulesets are so different that there's really no tangible connection between the two other sharing basic names and themes.
    Last edited by Triceron; 2022-06-27 at 05:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by deviantcultist View Post
    I guess that's their way of saying that Dark Ranger and Night Warrior before it are purely represented through cosplaying?
    Unforunately.
    Though, it doesn't make much sense, as they've come with gameplay for both concepts.