Page 5 of 56 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    You’re free to have that opinion. Thankfully, Blizzard disagrees.
    They already realized how reviled Soythyr are. Give it time.
    Last edited by Auburst; 2022-06-14 at 06:50 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    You mean other than their draconic heads, massive wings, and large tail that would make armor and gear a clipping nightmare?
    None of that is a problem. Tauren head structure is more problematic, yet it works. Multiple races have tails. Demon Hunters can sprout wings. None of it interferes. And if it does? Disable that slot. Cloaks problematic? Fair enough, that's an understandable subtraction.

If you want to make a legitimate case, praise the 3D modeling. The model has those scaly bits that simply don't work for "paint on" armour. And those bits do look good! If that's all you need, I'm happy for you! I will much prefer to cover up those thunder thighs with armour, though. Even if it is just Evoker-specific gear.

- - - Updated - - -

You’re free to have that opinion. Thankfully, Blizzard disagrees.
    How do you know? Why would they go out of their way to make belts, shoulders and tabards work if they were fine with unarmoured draconic humanoids?

10+ Year Old Account
    In my first MMo i played, you could play as a dragon or biped race, dragons could fly, couldn't use weapons/armor , started off as a hatchling and then did a hell of a long series of quests to grow into an adult and then again into ancient.. it was unique and fun.

Was hoping it would be similar in wow, the way they've done it is just essentially a worgen-demon hunter merge.

I would much rather have lizardmen than stupid tiny dragons running around on all fours, OP's idea is terrible

I don't think I can get on board with player sized dragons, but I'm seeing the same issues with this race as I saw back when Worgen were introduced. I still have no idea why anyone thought it was a good idea to go from the model on the right and turn it into the model on the left. But that's what we got stuck with for years because people complained about dumb shit. The dragon form itself is probably fine. The "visage" or whatever is highly suspect, but ideally you'll almost never see it in actual gameplay. Honestly it probably would have been better to chill out on making the human form look draconic at all and just have another stock human form so it works with mounts.

The standard dragons in wow look awful though.
    Error 404 - Signature not found

Quote Originally Posted by Goatfish View Post
    I still have no idea why anyone thought it was a good idea to go from the model on the right and turn it into the model on the left.
    Eugh, I never knew that the right model was a thing. Please tell me there's supposed to be a mane on that one and it's just not there for some reason. Because if the right one is how worgen women were originally supposed to look, then I understand the complaints. With a mane, though, I do prefer the right one, though both to me are pretty meh compared to how worgen look now.
    Last edited by CalamityHeart; 2022-06-14 at 06:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CalamityHeart View Post
    Eugh, I never knew that the right model was a thing. Please tell me there's supposed to be a mane on that one and it's just not there for some reason. Because if the right one is how worgen women were originally supposed to look, then I understand the complaints. With a mane, though, I do prefer the right one, though both to me are pretty meh compared to how worgen look now.
    The one on the right was the alpha version. It had hair options, but that option just happened to be hairless. I think part of the problem is people like you saw it without a hairstyle you liked and immediately shit all over it instead of looking at things like bone structure. Of fucking course hairstyles can change, but people see the buzzed look and lose their minds. By the time Cata came out the model had switched to the version on the left, which is what we got stuck with until about 3 years ago when they finally got rid of the permanent snarl and chilled out the angry eyebrows and pig nose a little bit. Though the voice actor still sounds like Marge Simpson's chain smoking sisters.

Neither one is really as polished as we have now, but at least the alpha version looked like a dog and not some fucking abomination. I have a feeling people are going to complain about this dragon form so much that we're going to end up with some fubar version of Drakthyr that everyone is going to hate for the next decade just like what happened to worgen.

Edit: Fun fact for the new worgen female form, if you use the experimental anima cell toy to turn into your child self, it apparently makes you look like Wendy's mascot. Your model size doesn't shrink either so you're a 'child' that towers over a lot of other characters.
    Last edited by Goatfish; 2022-06-14 at 07:15 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Berkilak View Post
    None of that is a problem. Tauren head structure is more problematic, yet it works. Multiple races have tails. Demon Hunters can sprout wings. None of it interferes. And if it does? Disable that slot. Cloaks problematic? Fair enough, that's an understandable subtraction.
    Bad comparisons are bad. Demon Hunters transform into a unique form, sans their equipped armor. Also Dracthyr wings are actually larger than DH wings, and are permanent fixtures on the model. Also no race has tails as large or long as dracthyrs.

If you want to make a legitimate case, praise the 3D modeling. The model has those scaly bits that simply don't work for "paint on" armour. And those bits do look good! If that's all you need, I'm happy for you! I will much prefer to cover up those thunder thighs with armour, though. Even if it is just Evoker-specific gear.
    Well I'm sorry that the Dracthry won't be the race for you then.

How do you know? Why would they go out of their way to make belts, shoulders and tabards work if they were fine with unarmoured draconic humanoids?
    That's something you'd have to ask Blizzard. My point was more along the lines that Blizzard already decided to give the Dracthyr highly limited to zero armor options, and the idea that they would give the race full armor is a pipe dream at this point.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well I'm sorry that the Dracthry won't be the race for you then.
    In that case... who is it for?

I'm the guy that was obsessed with fantasy and dragons all throughout school and weaved them in anywhere I could. I created a draconic-themed guild. I'm the cringelord that RPs as a dragon in humanoid form in every MMO that has dragons, WoW included. I'm the guy that voted "Other" in every class poll and posted "Dragonsworn."

If Drac'thyr aren't for me... who is the target audience?

10+ Year Old Account
    If Drac'thyr aren't for me... who is the target audience?
    The audience that doesn’t want dragons wearing full armor and gear like some sort of lizard men. Instead they want their dragons to actually be dragons with draconic abilities.

5+ Year Old Account
    In that case... who is it for?
    For Teriz, and blizz-fan boys who are okay with any shit that Blizz throws at them.
    Please, there a perfect example of hypocritical thinking:
    If Tinkers had anything to do with Hunters, but they don’t. Unlike Bards which are linked to Rogues.

The audience that doesn’t want dragons wearing full armor and gear like some sort of lizard men. Instead they want their dragons to actually be dragons with draconic abilities.
    Then they have some work to do to truly realize that. Because it certainly doesn’t strain it.

Quote Originally Posted by Neuroticaine View Post
    Y'all come up with the goofiest ideas, I swear lmao
    people are so delusional and entitled it's insane lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draugril View Post
    Then they have some work to do to truly realize that. Because it certainly doesn’t strain it.
    I really don’t know what else Blizzard could do at this point for the haters. Dracthyr are essentially drakes standing on their hind legs, and Evoker is a class that emulates dragon attributes and abilities. As someone who wanted a dragon class based on Alexstraza and Wrathion, I’m perfectly happy with the Dracthyr Evoker.

10+ Year Old Account
    That fantasy is not the Drac'thyr fantasy, even if that is the stated intent. Drac'thyr are not a 1:1 implementation of playable dragons. They are a compromise. This is also stated overtly. You are not playing as Wrathion or Alexstrasza. You are playing a compromise. As such, this does not wholly meet the desire of the target audience of people that simply want to play as dragons. You can't.

Draconic drac'thyr may be, but dragons they are not.

That fantasy is not the Drac'thyr fantasy, even if that is the stated intent. Drac'thyr are not a 1:1 implementation of playable dragons. They are a compromise. This is also stated overtly. You are not playing as Wrathion or Alexstrasza. You are playing a compromise. As such, this does not wholly meet the desire of the target audience of people that simply want to play as dragons. You can't.

You might find Pathfinder: Kingmaker and Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous more to your taste to fulfill your fantasy of "cringelord dude RPing as a dragon". :-D

I find funny people unreasonably losing their shit on MMOC over Drac'thyr (haters gonna hate) as Blizzard pretty much had to take some risks for Dragonflight or else WoW would never have a chance to recover after mediocre BFA and SL. So yeah, take it or leave it, there are so many other great games to play.

I do hope that Blizzard will give slightly bulkier/more menacing customization options for players who want them, and allow us to completely ignore the visage form feature.
    We're also still waiting for more info about the actual gameplay/kit of this new class.
    Last edited by MrCool; 2022-06-15 at 12:00 PM.

10+ Year Old Account

Again, literally the only difference between a Dracthyr and a typical WoW drake/dragon is that the Dracthyr are generally slimmer and stand on their hind legs.

That's it. They have the abilities and powers of many major dragon characters in Warcraft, including Onyxia.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MrCool View Post
    You might find Pathfinder: Kingmaker and Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous more to your taste to fulfill your fantasy of "cringelord dude RPing as a dragon". :-D

I find funny people unreasonably losing their shit on MMOC over Drac'thyr (haters gonna hate) as Blizzard pretty much had to take some risks for Dragonflight or else WoW would never have a chance to recover after mediocre BFA and SL. So yeah, take it or leave it, there are so many other great games to play.

I do hope that Blizzard will give slightly bulkier/more menacing customization options for players who want them, and allow us to completely ignore the visage form feature.
    We're also still waiting for more info about the actual gameplay/kit of this new class.
    Rocked a green dragon in the former, gold in the latter, and had my party transforming into various others as well. Very fun times rampaging through the world as a horde of dragons.

And as I've said before... I don't mind the drac'thyr design. But I don't pretend that they're a 1:1 implementation of WoW dragons into a playable state. Nor do I pretend that they're completely in line with the aesthetic established by those dragons. Both of those things are fine. I accept and acknowledge them, though. I can like the drac'thyr while being realistic about their design being completely emergent from compromise.

And that's why I push for more options, with transmog specifically. You can have so much more power to project the aesthetic and tone you want to project when you have control over more options for customizations. Like Malygos vs. Deathwing vs. Alexstrasza. One is nude, one is armoured, one simply accessorizes. Same bodyplan, but very different aesthetics.

Is it really that big of a deal?