Thread: Willow..... 2?

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    This is why I have him blocked — I’ve never even voted, nor do I support Trump. It’s like he follows where I post just to make nasty comments. He even followed me on Twitter, where he sent me creepy DM’s and listed my current and previous addresses.

I really wish this forum had better blocking features.
    Ugh, I'm so sorry for quoting him, then My apologies to you.

And I agree, I wish I couldn't see the people I've ignored when other people quote them. I'm ignoring them for a reason.

This is why I have him blocked — I’ve never even voted, nor do I support Trump. It’s like he follows where I post just to make nasty comments. He even followed me on Twitter, where he sent me creepy DM’s and listed my current and previous addresses.

I really wish this forum had better blocking features.
    If he actually did that you should legitimately report the DMs to twitter and send them to the mods here. I know they are for the most part useless but I would think even the most hypocritical would act on that.

5+ Year Old Account
    I definitely reported the account on Twitter, but not sure what exactly Mods can do here since it’s a different platform entirely and he hasn’t sent me any messages on here.
    There is an ignore option for every user. Just go to their profile and click ignore. Then you won’t see their posts and you won’t get any notifications whenever they quote you. They won’t be able to send you a private message either.
    Last edited by Progenitor Aquarius; 2022-06-15 at 09:34 AM.

Reading this thread, one gets the impression that the biggest deciding factor if a movie is good or bad is the amount of dirt on the costumes. The need to have an opinion (best if one validated by others) is so overwhelming that people will nitpick the smallest thing just so say something - anything - at all.

Meanwhile, in the real world, no movie was ever made either good or bad by the costumes. So who the f*** cares? Get a grip, people.

Quote Originally Posted by Rageonit View Post
    Reading this thread, one gets the impression that the biggest deciding factor if a movie is good or bad is the amount of dirt on the costumes. The need to have an opinion (best if one validated by others) is so overwhelming that people will nitpick the smallest thing just so say something - anything - at all.

Meanwhile, in the real world, no movie was ever made either good or bad by the costumes. So who the f*** cares? Get a grip, people.
    I mean... what do we have to go on? The trailer didn't tell us anything. "There is evil in the world... Oh look it's Willow exploring unknown fantasy stuff!" sums up the whole trailer. The only thing we have to go off of is the awkward cleanliness of the costume design and a bunch of half-second camera shots of generic fantasy story tropes.

If you have something more to go off of then I'm happy to hear it, but I'm not going to be overly excited for a sequel to a 34 year old movie just because nostalgia. You can feel free to blame Hollywood consistently disrespecting old franchises and adaptations for my lack of excitement.

Quote Originally Posted by Goatfish View Post
    I mean... what do we have to go on?
    Here's a pro tip: you don't have to go on about anything if you have nothing interesting to say. As difficult as it is, you can just wait for the series to have plenty to go on about. In the meantime you can, I don't know, express your excitement (or lack of it) instead of nitpicking the smallest thing that, in the end, will be absolutely irrelevant for the show's qualitiy. If it's good enough, nobody will care about the amount of dirt on the costumes. If it's bad, the best costumes won't save it.
    Last edited by Rageonit; 2022-06-15 at 02:46 PM.

Here's a pro tip: you don't have to go on about anything if you have nothing interesting to say. As difficult as it is, you can just wait for the series to have plenty to go on about. In the meantime you can, I don't know, express your excitement (or lack of it) instead of nitpicking the smallest thing that, in the end, will be absolutely irrelevant for the show's qualitiy. If it's good enough, nobody will care about the amount of dirt on the costumes. If it's bad, the best costumes won't save it.
    What the fuck did you think we were doing in this thread before people like you came in here? I hobby in costume design, that's what I do. It would be asinine for me to ignore the costumes and how they seem to fit in with the scenery. The fucking hypocrisy of someone who came in here not even to comment on the show, but to fling shit at other people who are actually giving an opinion on the little data we have.

Do you have anything of interest to say about the trailer? Otherwise maybe you should take your own "difficult" advice and stop nitpicking what other people are allowed to talk about.

The issue of grime is that it shows attention to the details of prior work and or source material or lack thereof.

What the fuck did you think we were doing in this thread before people like you came in here? I hobby in costume design, that's what I do. It would be asinine for me to ignore the costumes and how they seem to fit in with the scenery. The fucking hypocrisy of someone who came in here not even to comment on the show, but to fling shit at other people who are actually giving an opinion on the little data we have.

Do you have anything of interest to say about the trailer? Otherwise maybe you should take your own "difficult" advice and stop nitpicking what other people are allowed to talk about.
    Oh, so if I'm an avid horse breeder, this is the right place to nitpick about wrong horseshoes being used in the film? Yes, that'll make for an exciting conversation!

You people are simply fun killers. If this "issue" is so close to your dear heart, maybe take it to some kind of costume desginer forum, if there is one. Bet people over there will find it as exciting as you do. For me, not so much. You see a thread about a sequel to one of your favourite movies of the past, you go in to have a read and what do you encounter? A bunch of overly sensitive fashion fans bickering page after page over the amount of dirt on the costumes (pictures included!). Forgive me if I find it jarring.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Xath View Post
    The issue of grime is that it shows attention to the details of prior work and or source material or lack thereof.
    Ah yes, about time all of those sequel creators start employing Lead Grime Designers to show their true commitment. Not enough grime on the shoes and you instantly know they shit on the source material.

- - - Updated - - -

The fucking hypocrisy of someone who came in here not even to comment on the show
    And BTW, I came here to do just that, but then I started to wonder what's the point of giving an opinion that will instantly disappear in a bunch of daft posts about bathing habits of Greeks and Romans (which are surely super relevant to the movie). You're just noise creators, and I don't enjoy having to scream my opinions through the noise.

Oh, so if I'm an avid horse breeder, this is the right place to nitpick about wrong horseshoes being used in the film? Yes, that'll make for an exciting conversation!
    The answer is yes, and you should probably contact someone to look into that. Using the wrong horseshoes could cause issues, and as long as you are talking about the film and not blatantly attacking other people talking about the film you're in the clear.

Ah yes, about time all of those sequel creators start employing Lead Grime Designers to show their true commitment. Not enough grime on the shoes and you instantly know they shit on the source material.
    Film uses consultants all the time to make things more realistic and believable. I don't want to think you're just trying to rage bait, but this is common knowledge man. Costume design is a huge part of filmmaking, and part of that includes adding wear and tear to costumes. Gandalf's grey robes for instance were intentionally treated with sand to appear worn and used. It's not like people went out and found already worn items, this shit has been done intentionally for decades to make it look more believable.

You think people would have liked Jack Sparrow as much if he was all powdered wigs and clean suits instead of a grimed up pirate? This stuff is important.

And BTW, I came here to do just that, but then I started to wonder what's the point of giving an opinion that will instantly disappear in a bunch of daft posts about bathing habits of Greeks and Romans (which are surely super relevant to the movie). You're just noise creators, and I don't enjoy having to scream my opinions through the noise.
    The people talking about that nonsense are arguing the same side of the aisle that you are dude. You're on their fucking side, and came in here doing the exact same bullshit that they were. Are you playing games with me right now? It's a written forum, you don't have to scream through anything, there is no noise. Yet here you are still bitching about what other people are talking about instead of giving your own opinion on the trailer. Just give it a shot, make a post about how excited or not excited you are about the trailer and maybe we can talk about that instead. You come in here bitching about other people not talking about it and then continue to not talk about it yourself.

edit: Here's a start. I'm actually interested to see what they do with monster design. They showed a really tiny glimpse of some sort of creature, but the first film had some very interesting takes on trolls, dragons, and the demon rat dog things. I wonder if any of that is making a return, though it sounds like Lucas didn't allow them access to any of the original props.
    Last edited by Goatfish; 2022-06-15 at 04:10 PM.

The people talking about that nonsense are arguing the same side of the aisle that you are dude. You're on their fucking side, and came in here doing the exact same bullshit that they were.
    This unbridled need to see everyone on either your side or the other is very telling. I don't care about the issue and I don't care about your opinion on the issue (or theirs), because it's a non-issue (but maybe it's difficult for you to see through your self-importance). And I have absolutely no desire (anymore) to speak of my excitement about the series amongst people who will split a hair in four to prove a point no one sane is interested in. Like I've already said, you people are fun killers and sadly, you're good at it. Oh well, have fun splitting the hair.
    Last edited by Rageonit; 2022-06-15 at 04:16 PM.

Yes, atmosphere and tone means fuck all, amirite? All things Star Wars, for example, would be exactly the same if everything was shiny and new and immaculate, all the clothes were fresh off the sewing machine, and there wasn't so much as a ding or fleck of dirt on any of the equipment or droids.

You nailed it.

As mentioned earlier, props people used to pride themselves on how they could age things and make them look worn/believable. That seems to have been thrown out the door in more recent shows like this and Wheel of Time, where it was a god damned fucking distraction for enough people that YOU'RE here whining and bickering about the people who've noticed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Infinity Cubed View Post
    Yes, atmosphere and tone means fuck all, amirite? All things Star Wars, for example, would be exactly the same if everything was shiny and new and immaculate, all the clothes were fresh off the sewing machine, and there wasn't so much as a ding or fleck of dirt on any of the equipment or droids.

You nailed it.
    Really? That's your example? The movie about soldiers blinded by their own plastic armor and spaceships doing pew-pew in the space?
    If anything, Star Wars shows how irrelevant costumes and props are to a good movie. That's how bad they were. I'm guessing you're just living in your childhood dreams. Not sure if I want to shatter them...

Really? That's your example? The movie about soldiers blinded by their own plastic armor and spaceships doing pew-pew in the space?
    If anything, Star Wars shows how irrelevant customes and props are to a good movie. That's how bad they were. I'm guessing you're just living in your childhood dreams. Not sure if I want to shatter them...
    Wow, now there's a level of self-delusion I haven't seen outside the "stolen election" crowd for quite some time.

Quote Originally Posted by Infinity Cubed View Post
    Wow, now there's a level of self-delusion I haven't seen outside the "stolen election" crowd for quite some time.
    Oh, so I'm deluded because I think Star Wars plastic armor was bad. (And what's a "stolen election" crowd? Is that like a US thing?)
    Like I've said, you people are noise creators. There's no point in sharing an opinion with you.

Oh, so I'm deluded because I think Star Wars plastic armor was bad. (And what's a "stolen election" crowd? Is that like a US thing?)
    Like I've said, you people are noise creators. There's no point in sharing an opinion with you.
    I like how you came in the thread making noise and telling people to get a grip, then rage on the very same people for doing the same thing because you stirred the hornets nest.

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    I like how you came in the thread making noise and telling people to get a grip, then rage on the very same people for doing the same thing because you stirred the hornets nest.

Good job!
    Rage? Please... I find it rather amusing that someone arguing over lack of dirt on a travelers outfit would give Star Wars as an example of a movie with a lot of care towards costumes and props (the same movie that neglects almost every law of physics, which for some reason is absolutely fine - but clean traveler's outfit is a huge no-no). If anything, it shows how selective they are in their criticism (of things that are, in the end, mostly irrelevant - like physics in Star Wars, because physics don't make for a good story).

This unbridled need to see everyone on either your side or the other is very telling. I don't care about the issue and I don't care about your opinion on the issue (or theirs), because it's a non-issue (but maybe it's difficult for you to see through your self-importance). And I have absolutely no desire (anymore) to speak of my excitement about the series amongst people who will split a hair in four to prove a point no one sane is interested in. Like I've already said, you people are fun killers and sadly, you're good at it. Oh well, have fun splitting the hair.
    There is no "need to see everyone on a side", it's viewing the observable fucking reality that you joined in with people saying costumes don't matter. That's one side of an argument happening here, an argument that you started out giving your take on in this thread instead of talking about the movie. Then you want to refuse to talk about your thoughts on the show and just want to continue being a raging asshole to the few people who actually WANT to talk about it.

I tried being nice, but people like you are a prime example of why even people who actively use these forums refer to them as a dumpster fire. You're too focused on being argumentative to bring anything of substance. You've openly argued in other threads that environment design is important and impactful, and then come in here claiming the opposite apparently just to start shit and hold yourself as being higher class and better than other people. Maybe you should get that self-righteousness examined.

Rage? Please... I find it rather amusing that someone arguing over lack of dirt on a travelers outfit would give Star Wars as an example of a movie with a lot of care towards costumes and props (the same movie that neglects almost every law of physics, which for some reason is absolutely fine - but clean traveler's outfit is a huge no-no). If anything, it shows how selective they are in their criticism (of things that are, in the end, mostly irrelevant - like physics in Star Wars, because physics don't make for a good story).
    But people aren't comparing Willow to Star Wars. People are comparing Willow TV teaser to its movie source, which has already established the setting and atmosphere to look 'lived in'.

I mean you say you find it amusing that people are arguing over lack of dirt, but at the same time... you're arguing over the same thing just on the opposite end. You say you don't care about the issue, but clearly you cared enough to tell people to 'get a grip'. You stirred the hornet's nest, don't be surprised if people disagree with your opinion. No one forced you to come to this thread and read the complaints and express your opinion. Does it really matter whether the criticism is selective or not? You're not the arbiter of what can be criticized and what shouldn't be, so really this is a matter of your own willingness to accept what other people choose to express. If you really didn't care, then you shouldn't be telling other people to 'get a grip'.
    Last edited by Triceron; 2022-06-15 at 05:10 PM.

I tried being nice
    You did? Wow, guess I don't want to know your bad side.
    But don't worry, I won't trouble you anymore. Guess I've just succumbed to my general optimism and expected to find here a bit of enthusiasm instead of the usual "they shit on the source material" crowd. I promise I won't do it again.