Page 51 of 116 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Milchshake View Post
    It’s 100 degrees today in Odessa Texas The city just told its 122,600 residents that they could be without water for the next 48 hours.
    No flushing toilets, no showers or baths, and no washing anything.

Very cool "summer" so far here in EU.
    And mild winters.
    I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by stevenho View Post
    And mild winters.
    I like it.
    My friend in Spain told me that it is over 100 there.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by stevenho View Post
    And mild winters.
    I like it.
    Alaska for the most part has relatively mild summers (80 is HOT here, and rarely happens - with some exceptions; Fairbanks is their one-off). Obviously cold winters. But when you think about, at some point, it's cold enough that you don't go outside - so what does it matter if it's cold or really cold.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Milchshake View Post
    It’s 100 degrees today in Odessa Texas
    The city just told its 122,600 residents that they could be without water for the next 48 hours.
    And that's assuming their privatized system can fix it in 48 hours. They already declared a "state of disaster". Lol that their working system is a "state of disaster".

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Alaska for the most part has relatively mild summers (80 is HOT here, and rarely happens - with some exceptions; Fairbanks is their one-off). Obviously cold winters. But when you think about, at some point, it's cold enough that you don't go outside - so what does it matter if it's cold or really cold.

- - - Updated - - -

And that's assuming their privatized system can fix it in 48 hours. They already declared a "state of disaster". Lol that their working system is a "state of disaster".
    Last time I heard, Odessa has more than 160 miles of cast iron pipelines that are over 60 years old. Service life of cast iron pipeline is 40 years.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    Last time I heard, Odessa has more than 160 miles of cast iron pipelines that are over 60 years old. Service life of cast iron pipeline is 40 years.
    Amateurs. We've got cast iron lines here that date back to Edward that we've just finally getting around to replacing.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

My friend in Spain told me that it is over 100 there.
    Yeah Spain gets hot when wind blows north from Sahara. I was there for the whole summer of 1994 and it was terrible.
    Or at least I thought so before I decided to go to Morocco for 2 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    Amateurs. We've got cast iron lines here that date back to Edward that we've just finally getting around to replacing.
    Which Edward are we talking about, though?

Las Vegas, Phoenix, Tucson - 104, 107 and 105. At least its dry heat.

San Antonio, Houston, Austin, Dallas - 97 - 99. San Antonio should be dry heat like Las Vegas, Phoenix and Tucson. The other three are probably closer to Florida weather. Combined with humidity the heath index is probably in the triple digit.

Florida is doing better. Mostly in the mid to high 80s. Except Tallahassee 101.

Atlanta - 94, Birmingham - 95, Jackson 97, Nashville - 100, Spartanburg - 100, DC - 91. Yuck.

San Antonio, Houston, Austin, Dallas - 97 - 99. San Antonio should be dry heat like Las Vegas, Phoenix and Tucson. The other three are probably closer to Florida weather. Combined with humidity the heath index is probably in the triple digit.

Atlanta - 94, Birmingham - 95, Jackson 97, Nashville - 100, Spartanburg - 100, DC - 91. Yuck.
    https://www.reddit.com/user/nasa/com...e_heating_the/

NASA cameras in space are literally able to find the streets in Vegas because they get so hot. Shit's absolutely wild.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sorry Texas.

FWIW, I just checked, and there are rooms currently available at the Ritz-Carlton in Cancun for as low as $549/night.
    Government Affiliated Snark

10+ Year Old Account
    Lol that their working system is a "state of disaster".
    Texas resident here.

"State of Disaster" is actually the replacement for "The Lone Star State", not an emergency notice that goes away once the issue is resolved.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account

At what point are those residents going to start looking at the wet thermometer numbers? Or are we still a few years/decades away from that being an issue (or, rather, from it being the prevailing issue)?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    https://www.reddit.com/user/nasa/com...e_heating_the/

NASA cameras in space are literally able to find the streets in Vegas because they get so hot. Shit's absolutely wild.
    That is just nuts.

I understand from a friend who lives in Phoenix, their downtown area never really cools off, because all the concrete/asphalt holds the heat from the day.

- - - Updated - - -

The West saw an aspect of the climate crisis play out this week that scientists have warned of for years.
    In the middle of a prolonged, water shortage-inducing megadrought, one area, Yellowstone, was overwhelmed by drenching rainfall and rapid snowmelt that -- instead of replenishing the ground over a matter of weeks or months -- created a torrent of flash flooding that ripped out roads and bridges and caused severe damage to one of the country's most cherished national parks.
    Oh boy.

At what point are those residents going to start looking at the wet thermometer numbers? Or are we still a few years/decades away from that being an issue (or, rather, from it being the prevailing issue)?
    About 75% of Las Vegas water is recycled wastewater. Only 25% from Colorado River. In fact, 30% of their power consumption is from wastewater recycling. They are also pretty self-sufficient as far as electricity is concerned. They get about 5% of their electricity from Hoover Dam. The rest is from solar, wind and geothermal. They have tons of battery arrays. They'll be okay for now. At least until temperature raises to the point where people start self-combusting whenever they leave the A.C. controlled environment. But then, they'll probably start building underground like mole people.

Tucson and Phoenix do not have the resources of Las Vegas. So not sure how long they'll last.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    About 75% of Las Vegas water is recycled wastewater. Only 25% from Colorado River. In fact, 30% of their power consumption is from wastewater recycling. They are also pretty self-sufficient as far as electricity is concerned. They get about 5% of their electricity from Hoover Dam. The rest is from solar, wind and geothermal. They have tons of battery arrays. They'll be okay for now. At least until temperature raises to the point where people start self-combusting whenever they leave the A.C. controlled environment. But then, they'll probably start building underground like mole people.

Tucson and Phoenix do not have the resources of Las Vegas. So not sure how long they'll last.
    It's interesting that Las Vegas and Phoenix have about the same climate, but drastically different solutions to the problems that climate creates. Shockingly, Las Vegas is much more Liberal/Moderate that Phoenix.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    Which Edward are we talking about, though?
    The one the Edwardian Era is named after.

The pipes in question are literally the original water mains installed when those parts of the city were built.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

The worst part for me is how hot it is still in those cities right now. Las Vegas & Phoenix are still over 90. Texas cities are over 80.

Denver hit 97 today, but at least it is now down to 68.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Texas resident here.

"State of Disaster" is actually the replacement for "The Lone Star State", not an emergency notice that goes away once the issue is resolved.
    My daughter told me that it is supposed to get even worse next week. As in 100+. Possibility of hitting 110.

Seems we are now killing our livestock

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...t-wave-climate

Thats a wake up call I hope most wont ignore.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

It looks like next week the heat will be even worse in Texas. Austin, Dallas, Houston and San Antonio will be hitting 110 next weekends. That kind of heat combined with the typical Austin humidity would be beyond crazy.

Well had a nice couple days reprieve, gonna get up to 98 on Tuesday and add that humidity uck. Thankfully it'll cool down up here at least after that down to the mid low 80's til at least the end of the month.