Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by cparle87 View Post
    Yeah. Nine's entire shtick is proselytizing for FF14 while writing off WoW's equivalent or closest fascimile as bad. Good on you for calling him out on praising the LFR equivalent.
    Lfr are watered down bosses of the current raid, less mechanics, low damage/healing/mitigation requirements, braindead cheap content for the casuals.

Alliance raids are entirely new Bosses, even though yes, they are on the easier side it's not to an extent that lfr had at some points where you literally could not die even if you tried to unless all healers where afk.

This is why as an former CE raider I can find alliance raids fun for 3-4 Id's but never could find fun in lfr (well except for the shitshows unfolding like on n'zoth.)

Btt: it's not only possible it's a really smooth and convenient experience with how leisurely character maintenance is and how easy it is to gear an alt, you'll have to get a msq and job boost though to skip the lengthy msq.
    Last edited by Caprias; 2022-06-15 at 10:19 PM.

As a current FFXIV subscription player, I'd definitely say no. While FFXIV doesn't lack endgame activities by any means and is absolutely a great MMO in its own right, WoW simply places more importance upon the frequency of endgame modes of play. WoW has heroic/mythic raiding with 8-10 bosses per raid, competitive arena matches, and a flexible dungeon system with Mythic + that allows for some crazy high keystone levels for an optional, yet brutal challenge.

FFXIV has 5 or so "one-shot" bosses with extreme, 12 savage raid bosses, and 1 (sometimes 2) Ultimate raids per expansion. Dungeons have a set difficulty, and, while competitive PvP does exist in XIV, it isn't as robust and polished like WoW's system. To put it simply, you'll be waiting a bit longer for endgame content with XIV than WoW when the two games patch release schedules are compared, with WoW releasing more content, faster (assuming no controversies or plagues delay either developer).

But FFXIV is definitely much friendlier to the average player than WoW is, which the dev team admit is absolutely intentional.

Quote Originally Posted by Celvira View Post
    As a current FFXIV subscription player, I'd definitely say no. While FFXIV doesn't lack endgame activities by any means and is absolutely a great MMO in its own right, WoW simply places more importance upon the frequency of endgame modes of play. WoW has heroic/mythic raiding with 8-10 bosses per raid, competitive arena matches, and a flexible dungeon system with Mythic + that allows for some crazy high keystone levels for an optional, yet brutal challenge.

FFXIV has 5 or so "one-shot" bosses with extreme, 12 savage raid bosses, and 1 (sometimes 2) Ultimate raids per expansion. Dungeons have a set difficulty, and, while competitive PvP does exist in XXIV, it isn't as robust and polished like WoW's system. To put it simply, you'll be waiting a bit longer for endgame content with XIV than WoW when the two games patch release schedules are compared, with WoW releasing more content, faster (assuming no controversies or plagues delay either developer).

But FFXIV is definitely much friendlier to the average player than WoW is, which the dev team admit is absolutely intentional.
    This is just false. The amount of content in FF14 is comparable if not superior. We get a major patch every 3-4 months, while wow struggles to hit a major patch every 8 months.
    "stop puting you idiotic liberal words into my mouth"
    -ynnady

OP's question is basically "Can I enjoy myself raidlogging not bothering with anything else?" The answer is yes.

MMOC dweebs: REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE WoW vs. FFXIV! Let's challenge the fucking mods! REEEEEEE

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    No, I don't consider being habituated into performing tedious daily chores to be a fun video game experience.
    Then why play an MMO? That's kinda been part and parcel in these kind of games for years and 14 does better than most for that. I wonder how you even enjoyed WoW if you're constantly tearing into things for being 'tedious daily chores'.

You do it once for the spectacle and then never again. Unless you want to farm it every week for a glamour that you have a low chance of rolling for. Aka, wasting your time on arbitrary game design.
    Except the alliance raids are also there for gear catch up for players who aren't at the 'latest' set up and are also there for those who don't want/can't fight the Extremes to give a little more gear score with the currency to upgrade your gear even further. While this might be pointless for those who are at the cutting edge, it still has a use. And some players love the spectacle and never get tired of it.

Wasting time on a videogame ≠ having fun.
    Again, how are you even remotely into any MMO if this is your mind set. A grind of some kind has always been a part of this genre of game and regardless of how you feel of things, 14 has generally always been kinder with it's grinds than any other of it's ilk and that special mount or that shiny weapon that you like will usually still be there even years after the content is outta date.

Not to mention that for me, personally, there are some times where I just can't be asked to do anything else and I'll play a game to just waste some time. I'm entertained and most of the games I play are large enough that even me wasting time is progressing towards something. the whole 'wasting time doesn't equal fun' is a VERY objective, PERSONAL thing.

Frontline is a chaotic, 24 vs 24 vs 24 zerg fest where melee die within seconds in a mosh pit and ranged spam attacks into whatever blob is in front of you. There is no coordination here like in WoW BGs or in GW2's WvW wars.
    I couldn't say anything as to GW2 since I never got farther then the first zone before the constant roulette of running around doing the same fate style events to level got boring for me, but unless WoW's BG's have changed a LOT since I left WoW, running as one big mob to base to base to kill an NPC is kinda the very definition of Zerging, isn't it? Frankly, I've been having more fun with Crystaline conflict for PVP so I've not tired Frontlines, but I'm waiting for them to balance that before giving it a shot.

I would not recommend being habituated into wasting your time doing tedious chores chasing imaginary number upgrades.
    And just to drive the point home, I question why you even got into MMO's in the first place, considering this is a core design that pretty much every one has done and some have done a lot worse then others.

Quote Originally Posted by cparle87 View Post
    Yeah. Nine's entire shtick is proselytizing for FF14 while writing off WoW's equivalent or closest fascimile as bad. Good on you for calling him out on praising the LFR equivalent.
    I could say the exact same thing about Val's opinions on 14, since it seems mostly him on him hating a lot of 14, but instead of throwing love at WoW he seems to be hating on MMO's in general, sooo...
    Last edited by MsSideEye; 2022-06-15 at 10:26 PM.

yeah you can, i skipped all main story 3 years ago, boosted straight up and got into end game. loved it and played ever since. its very similar to wotlk end game in systems. the only downside of end game is class balance is real real bad the better you get.

Quote Originally Posted by NineSpine View Post
    This is just false. The amount of content in FF14 is comparable if not superior. We get a major patch every 3-4 months, while wow struggles to hit a major patch every 8 months.
    The key specific within the OP's inquiry was purely regarding the amount of "end-game" content within XIV. I even stated XIV doesn't lack for content, but WoW places far more emphasis on releasing a higher quantity of raids and seasonal arena/Mythic + events to keep a purely endgame player satisfied. Not comparing difficulty, simply stating the amount of endgame content is a bit higher in WoW (I don't count Alliance Raids as endgame, they are more of a casual roulette when all is considered).

And while yes, you can log in once or twice a week to clear the current savage tier, you are still expected to complete a pretty sizable, mandatory MSQ to even get to that point, which may be a detracting element for someone who only wants to engage in endgame raids as fast as possible.

Quick edit to clarify that I myself prefer FFXIV over WoW. XIV respects my time more than WoW does, and is more generous to its playerbase by a pretty significant margin.
    Last edited by Celvira; 2022-06-15 at 10:33 PM.

The key specific within the OP's inquiry was purely regarding the amount of "end-game" content within XIV. I even stated XIV doesn't lack for content, but WoW places far more emphasis on releasing a higher quantity of raids and seasonal arena/Mythic + events to keep a purely endgame player satisfied. Not comparing difficulty, simply stating the amount of endgame content is a bit higher in WoW (I don't count Alliance Raids as endgame, they are more of a casual roulette when all is considered).

And while yes, you can log in once or twice a week to clear the current savage tier, you are still expected to complete a pretty sizable, mandatory MSQ to even get to that point, which may be a detracting element for someone who only wants to engage in endgame raids as fast as possible.
    Endgame means “things you do at max level”. I don’t know where this definition of “only the most hardcore CE content” comes from. I’m not pointing fingers at you for this goalpost shift, but it seems to be becoming common here.

I think ff14 pvp is catching up with the most recent patch and seasonal model.
    -ynnady

Endgame means “things you do at max level”. I don’t know where this definition of “only the most hardcore CE content” comes from. I’m not pointing fingers at you for this goalpost shift, but it seems to be becoming common here.

I think ff14 pvp is catching up with the most recent patch and seasonal model.
    Basically the title. I don't care about the story, and the more casual content like housing, RP, and glamour really doesn't interest me. I literally only want to Raid. Is this really possible or am I going to have a bad time?

This is the OP's comment. His or her only wish is max level raiding, nothing more, nothing less. Neither expert or Alliance roulettes would be included in their criteria, and my response was given with this preference in mind.

FFXIV does have raiding, but if you had to pick one game over the other based on raiding alone, WoW has more options for content/difficulty tiers on average than XIV does.
    Last edited by Celvira; 2022-06-15 at 10:41 PM.

Basically the title. I don't care about the story, and the more casual content like housing, RP, and glamour really doesn't interest me. I literally only want to Raid. Is this really possible or am I going to have a bad time?

This is the OP's comment. His or her only wish is max level raiding, nothing more, nothing less. Neither expert or Alliance roulettes would be included in their criteria, and my response was given with this preference in mind.
    I didn’t say anything about roulettes. Alliance raids are endgame raid content.
    -ynnady

Alliance raids may be an endgame activity that awards near-endgame currencies, but I'd argue they are not a "true raid" and are significantly different than an extreme trial or a savage encounter. Alliance raids are like WoW's LFR - a bunch of idiots thrown together at random and you pray everything goes smoothly.

Plus, Alliance Raid's have pretty big safety nets that make them difficult to wipe in, and most runs are pretty chill after the first week of an Alliance raid releasing. Again, I'm simply trying to factor in the OP's wishes here, as I don't think he or she would find them comparable to WoW's average endgame raid.
    Last edited by Celvira; 2022-06-15 at 10:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Caprias View Post
    OP's question is basically "Can I enjoy myself raidlogging not bothering with anything else?" The answer is yes.

MMOC dweebs: REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE WoW vs. FFXIV! Let's challenge the fucking mods! REEEEEEE
    Indeed.

It's always the same couple of people stirring up the game vs. game shit, too.

Alliance raids may be an endgame activity that awards near-endgame currencies, but I'd argue they are not a "true raid" and are significantly different than an extreme trial or a savage encounter. Alliance raids are like WoW's LFR - a bunch of idiots thrown together at random and you pray everything goes smoothly.

Plus, Alliance Raid's have pretty big safety nets that make them difficult to wipe in, and most runs are pretty chill after the first week of an Alliance raid releasing. Again, I'm simply trying to factor in the OP's wishes here, as I don't think he or she would find them comparable to WoW's average endgame raid.
    We don’t know if the OP has the “it only counts if it’s a brick wall to bash my face into” mental illness. We shouldn’t make assumptions. Lots of raiders who do savage also enjoy the alliance raids.
    -ynnady

10+ Year Old Account
    We don’t know if the OP has the “it only counts if it’s a brick wall to bash my face into” mental illness. We shouldn’t make assumptions. Lots of raiders who do savage also enjoy the alliance raids.
    Hiii. I do really love Mythic raiding in WoW. Hundreds of pulls don't really put me off b/c I find the reward super gratifying!
    Everyone on the internet is a dishonest actor.

Quote Originally Posted by TheJewishMerp View Post
    If you just want to raid, because you like to raid, it has wayyyyy more than WoW that you scale to do. A lot of them are really good and interesting and worth beating to beat or w/e reason. You'll likely enjoy them.

If you want to play the endgame gear treadmill game, it only has (11?) bosses right now that you can play that game on, but they're all pretty good.

Hiii. I do really love Mythic raiding in WoW. Hundreds of pulls don't really put me off b/c I find the reward super gratifying!
    The illness isn't liking that. The illness is when you are driven to a really deranged state where you build your entire identity around that and start trying to make weird, cringey arguments like "IT'S NOT REALLY RAIDING IF ITS NOT MYTHIC" because anyone else having fun is a threat to your ego.
    -ynnady

Ok, I think that's taking it a step to far, Nine. Some people enjoy that style of gameplay. Dark Souls and Elden Ring are big games just because there is that player base that likes throwing themselves into something until they come out the victor. If that's their jam, that's perfectly ok.

The problem comes when people dismiss easier content just because 'it's not hard core enough', which OP didn't do. You can lay that blame at others feet.

10+ Year Old Account
    The illness isn't liking that. The illness is when you are driven to a really deranged state where you build your entire identity around that and start trying to make weird, cringey arguments like "IT'S NOT REALLY RAIDING IF ITS NOT MYTHIC" because anyone else having fun is a threat to your ego.
    Oh yeah no I just like Mythic Raiding b/c i haven't really found something else in gaming that gives me the satisfaction of tackling an enormously challenging boss with 19 other people! I don't really care what anybody else does with their time so long as it doesn't interfere with my ability to have fun or my time.
    Everyone on the internet is a dishonest actor.

Quote Originally Posted by MsSideEye View Post
    Ok, I think that's taking it a step to far, Nine. Some people enjoy that style of gameplay. Dark Souls and Elden Ring are big games just because there is that player base that likes throwing themselves into something until they come out the victor. If that's their jam, that's perfectly ok.

The problem comes when people dismiss easier content just because 'it's not hard core enough', which OP didn't do. You can lay that blame at others feet.
    I spend most of my gaming time doing Souls game challenge runs. I love very difficult games like that. However, I don't build my whole identity around the and have some weird ego fit when someone doesn't enjoy that.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh yeah no I just like Mythic Raiding b/c i haven't really found something else in gaming that gives me the satisfaction of tackling an enormously challenging boss with 19 other people! I don't really care what anybody else does with their time so long as it doesn't interfere with my ability to have fun or my time.
    I like extremely challenging content too, but I'm at a point where I get really turned off by group sizes that large because of how often they turn into waiting for the worst player to do things right. The super-hard content in Destiny 2 is more up my alley these days, with 6 man being the largest group size.
    -ynnady

Savage tiers usually take competent guilds a week or two to clear, but Ultimates can take months of practice before most guilds have a chance to clear. If you can sit through FFXIV's MSQ, I think you'll enjoy savage and Ultimate raiding (I'd say savage is a bit easier than mythic, with ultimate being harder than mythic) if you can accept that FFXIV expansions offer less individual fights than your average WoW expansion will.

Savage can keep you entertained for a bit, but you can get some good mileage out of an Ultimate clear.