Page 53 of 89 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    It's especially strange that this is such a sticking point to people when Darth Vader is right over there. Dude had all his limbs cut off, was set on fire by lava, and left to die. And yet here he is, destroying equipment, choking bitches, and murdering bystanders.
    That's different, though. We're never made to believe Anakin/Vader might have died. Not once. It's clear from the start that he survives.

That's fundamentally not the same as a character everyone thought had their death, and then years later some writer goes PSYCH I'm back bitches never even died actually.

That's not, like, an inherently bad way of writing things, but it certainly has demonstrated historically that it comes with a greater likelihood for bad writing. Not surprising - it's an indicator that writers may have run out of ideas, and are reusing ones from the past. Sometimes it's done well; usually it's done poorly.

And there's also the problem of diminishing returns. Bringing a believed-to-be-dead character back one time, okay. But now we're in this weird space where nobody important ever seems to die, and even if they do, nobody believes it. Getting stabbed through the stomach/chest with little to no consequences is an entire meme in SW now, because they've overused it. "It's just a flesh wound" and all that.

Why. That was exactly the motivation. People really need to get over it. In a fictional setting like this, if the writers want to miraculously revive a character, they can do it. It's not a big deal.

It's especially strange that this is such a sticking point to people when Darth Vader is right over there. Dude had all his limbs cut off, was set on fire by lava, and left to die. And yet here he is, destroying equipment, choking bitches, and murdering bystanders.
    Nevermind that people regularly survive seemingly impossible injuries as linked to several times in posts above, including being cut in half by a forklift injury (you know, as opposed to conveniently being cut in half and having every ounce of the injury seared shut by a lightsaber). And there's also countless people who've died on the spot from ridiculously minor injuries including but not limited to paper cuts, a minor nick to an artery, being in an inch of water, and so on and so forth.

I, too, don't get why people are having so much time with characters surviving injuries that most noticeably aren't guaranteed instant-death sentences. Gut shots are very much survivable in the real world with much cruder and damaging weapons than a lightsaber or high energy blaster bolt that--again--only improves your odds of survival rather than worsens it. Yeah, Darth Maul survived and Qui-Gon died. Luck of the draw (and hand of the writer) is all that is.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    That's different, though. We're never made to believe Anakin/Vader might have died. Not once. It's clear from the start that he survives.

That's fundamentally not the same as a character everyone thought had their death, and then years later some writer goes PSYCH I'm back bitches never even died actually.
    Yes, because that's totally the main argument they're making.

Ah, so people are just pissy that all their whining over the "writers disrespecting the universe!!!!!!" because they thought they'd actually killed off the Grand Inquisitor, was fruitless. Got it.

Ah, so people are just pissy that all their whining over the "writers disrespecting the universe!!!!!!" because they thought they'd actually killed off the Grand Inquisitor, was fruitless. Got it.
    There's a number of issues one could take with it. That's one of them, but I'm not convinced it's a super strong one - "disrespecting the universe" is a very vague claim.

I personally have no problem with the way it seems to be resolving, i.e. they staged the whole thing because Vader knew all along and the Grand Inquisitor played along and let himself be stabbed on purpose. That's not too out there.

But I definitely also think the whole 'getting stabbed and not dying' thing is getting out of hand in SW. It's just used too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    I don't know how to tell you, but even if we assume it's a gut stab and not a heart stab - the spine is cut as well. In real life that's death. Oh and btw - Reva should've been immobilized and completely paralyzed chest down. No amount of Force can change that - yet she was in a different pose - basically sitting when she got to the communicator, if we assume she Force crawled, that's still impossible with a wound like that. Physiologically.

Qui-Gon was authentic. He just collapsed and was lying there waiting for Obi-wan. Grand Inquisitor as well, though he was waiting for medical team.

But, a YUGE BUTT, Vader stabbed her THRU THE HEART (rhyme unintended). She should be quite literally gone.
    ummmm dude I HOPE you are not a Heart surgeon or many people will die under your hands and eyes. Qui-gon, Reva AND the GI all had GUT STABS. And from the angle of the stab even YOU can definitively say that Reva was stabbed through the spine that is just you guessing out of your ass like you have been the last several posts of yours.

reva

Qui-gon

Grand Inquisitor

So I dont know why you continue to choose to die on this hill when clearly we all see you are wrong. You can rewatch them here since cleary you need to
    Last edited by WoWGoneBad; 2022-06-16 at 12:02 AM.

My favorite part of his claim was all the "exploding spines." I still don't even know what the hell that's supposed to mean.

Enjoyed the blast from the past Anakin vs Obiwan duel. But the whole quote about Anakin desperately wanting victory seemed like a poor attempt at sage talk. A real lightsaber duel is usually to the death, I would hope anyone would be desperate to win those. Unless you get stabbed in the gut, that is. Then I guess it's just a mild inconvenience for a few days.

Kind of a problem with these inserted prequels. We already know nothing is going to happen to Obi-Wan or Darth Vader so there's little to no tension even when the writer's seem to be building up to it.

And a bit forced how Reva is laying defeated in the dirt, probably in a lot of pain, but for some reason decides to focus on a random communicator a ways away from here that could have easily just been a piece of trash. Minor peeve is there's a huge general lack of force grabbing and pulling over objects, should be easy style points for the show. And it would have also looked way better than a wounded Reva crawling over to it.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's time to move on from the prequel/OT timeline. There are so many interesting era's to be explored which aren't really set in stone (yet).

Quote Originally Posted by Very Tired View Post
    But the whole quote about Anakin desperately wanting victory seemed like a poor attempt at sage talk.
    I'm 99.9999% sure Obi-Wan's lesson in that flashback about him being a Padawan until he overcomes that trait was to tie this into Vader's line about now being the master when they meet again in Episode IV.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WoWGoneBad View Post
    ummmm dude I HOPE you are not a Heart surgeon or many people will die under your hands and eyes. Qui-gon, Reva AND the GI all had GUT STABS. And from the angle of the stab even YOU can definitively say that Reva was stabbed through the spine that is just you guessing out of your ass like you have been the last several posts of yours.

For a closer look zoom in

You can claim Vader has missed the center and hit her a bit to the side and missed all the important organs (heart being the primary target) and the spine.

But it would be silly.

You are also forgetting that lightsaber is not a sword, it doesn't bounce of bones, nor bends to find its way thru. It goes straight thru. And at that angle of strike, you can safely say she's toast in her center chest area (even if Vader didn't hit her straight thru the center of her heart - since that is impossible to tell - the heart is toast), literally.

You can see in the Qui-gon video starting 0:39-0:41 that Maul not only stabbed him but the lightsaber goes vertically. We are not shown the entry point but we can see the exit, and as Qui-gon falls (forward) and Maul pulls the saber out - guess what happens to the contents of Qui-gon's chest (and heart)? Gravity sucks.

Never claimed GI was stabbed in the heart though. And if you can find me saying that - that would mean I made a mistake. Cheers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Just pointing out your judgement when it comes to this is pretty sus. You keep thinking stomachs are hearts.
    Riffing it is then. Either present a point or ...
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Quote Originally Posted by Theangryone View Post
    We are reportedly getting a Reva spin off show.
    reported by whom?
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

10+ Year Old Account
    That’s you on GI’s stabbing. You’re now claiming the same with Reva after seeing a distant shot from the side that sure looks like a gut shot to me.
    Well, then not only you need some reading comprehension but also eye doctor.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

10+ Year Old Account
    What did I misread? You claiming that GI was stabbed in the chest which is canonically fatal only to be proven wrong? And you’re the one who keeps seeing shit nobody else is seeing.
    I give you one more chance.
    The clue is in the first words.
    There's also an issue of the context.
    It starts with S and rhymes with orgasm.

You can claim Vader has missed the center and hit her a bit to the side and missed all the important organs (heart being the primary target) and the spine.

But it would be silly.
    It wouldn't be silly at all. A stab below the sternum misses the heart. See how she's bent in that picture? See the space between her leg and the lightsaber? It's CLEARLY below the sternum, and thus below the heart. Missing the aorta would take more work, but since it's usually displaced to the side a little that's also not a huge stretch.

As for the spine, that's not hard to miss. A little angle to the stab, and it will go right past. The spinal column isn't all that large - the diameter is an inch or so on average. That's super easy to miss.

And remember: Vader INTENDED for her to live. He wants her back in the gutter, suffering, knowing what she's lost. It'd be trivial for someone like him to intentionally not kill her with a stab like that by placing it correctly.

10+ Year Old Account
    It wouldn't be silly at all. A stab below the sternum misses the heart. See how she's bent in that picture? See the space between her leg and the lightsaber? It's CLEARLY below the sternum, and thus below the heart. Missing the aorta would take more work, but since it's usually displaced to the side a little that's also not a huge stretch.

As for the spine, that's not hard to miss. A little angle to the stab, and it will go right past. The spinal column isn't all that large - the diameter is an inch or so on average. That's super easy to miss.
    I wanted to say that It's silly to assume vader either missed or intentionally took great care to not harm her. But then you went that way.

And remember: Vader INTENDED for her to live. He wants her back in the gutter, suffering, knowing what she's lost. It'd be trivial for someone like him to intentionally not kill her with a stab like that by placing it correctly.
    I concede that Vader doesn't care if she lives or dies, but he wouldn't need to go the careful route. He knew the dark side force user won't die just right away.

I mean does it matter where/how she was stabbed.. people have be cut in 2 in survived in the SW universe, survived being blasted in space, and flying back to a ship.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    I concede that Vader doesn't care if she lives or dies, but he wouldn't need to go the careful route. He knew the dark side force user won't die just right away.
    Vader at this point would have killed atleast 3 dark side force users (two inquisitors, one old republic sith) and they all died right away, while he would know that it’s possible for dark siders to suppress fatal damage he would also know it’s a rather rare feat with only Himself and maul actually doing it.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just throwing out a theory here.

Vader could possibly not intended to kill Reva. The Sith know that hatred, and revenge make for powerful dark side connections. They also love to see in fighting as it further strengthens their connection to the dark side of the force.

Perhaps he is attempting to really pit Reva and the GI against each other to see who comes out the strongest in the end, and who would stand by his side.

Even having a person who only seeks your death, can make a very powerful tool against their enemy. It would be a very Sith thing to do.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Still poor writing with several little things that don't make sense.

Overall though I think I liked the plot of the episode.

The battle scenes are completely cringe. Not that tactics were the same, but the nonsense of the awful tactics reminded me of the Battle of Winterfell. "OK men, slowly walk out in the open towards the people shooting at you". And on the other side, "OK, folks, stand out in the open and shoot at them while several dozen stormtroopers shot at you". I don't understand why they can't find one consultant that understands military tactics. First off, everyone finds cover when they are getting shot at. If there's no cover and you are crossing an open area with an overwhelming force, you rush the enemy...not slowly plod along in their direction.

Reva's backstory and motivation are a little nonsensical to me.

And one of the more annoying things to me is when they make their characters accidentally stumble onto the next plot point. Make the dude carry all the things in his hands so that he can drop the important thing. Make the bad guy notice a random thing is on the ground, which would likely be completely meaningless to them, but they decide to play with it anyway and then find out extremely secret / sensitive plot points. "Must have been very difficult for her to find out that information?" "Nope, super easy, barely an inconvenience."

"Take the time to sit down and talk with your adversaries. You will learn something, and they will learn something from you. When two enemies are talking, they are not fighting. It's when the talking ceases that the ground becomes fertile for violence. So keep the conversation going."
    ~ Daryl Davis

Quote Originally Posted by Ragedaug View Post
    I don't understand why they can't find one consultant that understands military tactics.
    Because they're not interested in accurate representation of tactics. They're only interested in the visuals. That's why there's so little cover - they want you to actually, you know, SEE actors

This is film, and so what matters first and foremost is the cinematic experience. Realism isn't irrelevant to that, but it usually takes a backseat to aesthetics. That's why you have such dramatic juxtapositions: good guys on one side, bad guys on the other, slowly advancing etc. Doesn't matter if that's a smart way of assaulting a fortified position (or defending one), that's not the point or purpose here.