Do you guys seriously not have wallets? lmao

Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post
    or ... crazy idea - people dont mind not farming absolutely ultra imba bis gear and dont mind being done with game ? then they either quit or try out different classes - like most of people didnt since diablo 1 .
    Wouldn't it be nice if everyone could enjoy the game, even the people who want to take it more seriously?

They didn't have to monetize it anywhere near as aggressively as they did. It's cool you can enjoy the parts of the game you like despite it, but that doesn't excuse blizzard from trying to fleece their fans. No one is saying you are wrong for playing it the way you do, just that things could be better without taking anything away from the experience you're enjoying now.

More people would be open to supporting the game if they treated both paying and non-paying players better. Which would be better for everyone, if the game got more support, they could release more content for it.

Even if it was just back to how things were in the beta, that would be a step up, because a lot of the hidden caps didn't exist then.
    (This signature was clearly too awesome for the Avatar & Signature Guidelines and was removed to prevent further facemelting)

or ... crazy idea - people dont mind not farming absolutely ultra imba bis gear and dont mind being done with game ? then they either quit or try out different classes - like most of people didnt since diablo 1 .

only this time we can enjoy it for free. so no idea why others are complaining really unless its a case of peopel with severe OCD.

i owuld compare it to farming actively VP in wow - yes im sure there are hundreds of people who farm hundreds of dungeons to be geared in 272 instantly but normal people dont do that . same like with buyting stuff in DI

- - - Updated - - -

the reason is simple - its a fun way of killing time.

there is no other reason - unless you are a streamer who is making his living out of streaming it. or out of whinign about it so his simps sponsor him $$$$ and dont see absolutely any irony in doing that
    Unless you mean there are people who happily play without any semblance of meaningful progression, every free to play player or low spender will very quickly hit a wall.

If that IS what you mean that's fine, but for me that would be like playing chess without being able to take pieces or checkmate the king.. just moving pieces aimlessly around the board.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    Probably because Blizzcon folks didn't like a mobile only Diablo. There's no pleasing the crowd
    They're a PC gaming audience. Why would they be happy that a game in their favorite series was going to be mobile-only? If you foster a PC gaming community for 20 years, then suddenly announce a mobile title which no one asked for, people are obviously going to be annoyed. I don't think people were even mad that there was going to be a mobile component, just that there was initially not going to be a PC one.
    Sylvanas didn't even win the popular vote, she was elected by an indirect election of representatives. #NotMyWarchief

Quote Originally Posted by Magical Mudcrab View Post
    They're a PC gaming audience. Why would they be happy that a game in their favorite series was going to be mobile-only? If you foster a PC gaming community for 20 years, then suddenly announce a mobile title which no one asked for, people are obviously going to be annoyed. I don't think people were even mad that there was going to be a mobile component, just that there was initially not going to be a PC one.
    Exactly.

It's like having a big announcement at a motorcycle convention and Harley Davidson comes out with a new tricycle, going "What, don't you guys have feet?". Wrong place. Wrong product.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Magical Mudcrab View Post
    They're a PC gaming audience. Why would they be happy that a game in their favorite series was going to be mobile-only?
    Plenty of PC gamers play on mobile.

No. They were Blizzcon attendies. That's the primary differentiator. Not that they are PC gamers. Most of them probably played Hearthstone. On iPhone.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

only this time we can enjoy it for free. so no idea why others are complaining really unless its a case of peopel with severe OCD.

i owuld compare it to farming actively VP in wow - yes im sure there are hundreds of people who farm hundreds of dungeons to be geared in 272 instantly but normal people dont do that . same like with buyting stuff in DI

- - - Updated - - -

the reason is simple - its a fun way of killing time.

there is no other reason - unless you are a streamer who is making his living out of streaming it. or out of whinign about it so his simps sponsor him $$$$ and dont see absolutely any irony in doing that
    Its not the same. Farming VP in wow requires you to play the game. Progressing in DI is having you buy the things you need without playing. If you want them to be equal, there has to be a buy option for VP in wow.

Your argument about "killing time" works perfectly fine with Diablo 1, 2 & 3. That is, if you play on PC. If you are on mobile, thats fine. Thats why I dont understand why they even bothered porting this to PC, when D4 is coming.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by crusadernero View Post
    Its not the same. Farming VP in wow requires you to play the game.
    But you have to pay to play the game.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

But you have to pay to play the game.
    If you mean playing the game is logging in and buying materials required, then sure.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you mean playing the game is logging in and buying materials required, then sure.
    Why would you buy anything in the game if there's no "play" in it?

Why would you buy anything in the game if there's no "play" in it?
    With all the comments you have made in this thread, you are probably the one who are most qualified to answer that question. Why would anyone spend real money on digital goods in a forgettable mobile game?

You perfectly understand (or, you should) the difference between playing wow for VP and the insane grinds(that makes you buy materials) in DI. The OBVIOUS one is that in wow you cant buy VP.

10+ Year Old Account
    With all the comments you have made in this thread, you are probably the one who are most qualified to answer that question. Why would anyone spend real money on digital goods in a forgettable mobile game?
    Why would anyone spend money on anything? Your entire existence is forgettable.

Seriously though. The answer is very simple. People spend money on things they want. If you don't understand why they want it - that's a YOU problem. Not THEM.

You perfectly understand (or, you should) the difference between playing wow for VP and the insane grinds(that makes you buy materials) in DI. The OBVIOUS one is that in wow you cant buy VP.
    The difference is in wow you pay upfront for a very capped VP. It's a predatory technique to make you play longer and pay more sub. It is predatorily designed for the cap to not be enough to buy everything you want and to leave a remainder of VP so that you feel bad for not spending it all.

In DI you can get everything for free - but you will have to grind for a long time.

In DI you can get everything for free - but you will have to grind for a long time.
    I've played my fair share of gacha games, but I've never seen 'Pay to speed up progress' to this level.

The obvious gate being legendary gems, with which an active F2P receives 2 per month.

In one year, an active F2P player (reaching level 32 of the battle pass every time, no small feat) will receive 24 legendary crests. Alternatively, you can pay £52.80 for a years worth of progress.

Now considering that £528 buys you a decades worth of progress, and looking at estimates that the drop rate of a 5* gem is around 1 in 2000-2500, the average player would either need to spend about £4,950 on average for a five star gem, or just grind for 94 years.

I'd say while it's not technically impossible to get everything for free, legendary gems above 2* are unobtainable for F2P players (and light spenders).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Anzen View Post
    I've played my fair share of gacha games, but I've never seen 'Pay to speed up progress' to this level.

The obvious gate being legendary gems, with which an active F2P receives 2 per month.

In one year, an active F2P player .
    That's your mistake. You assume the game stays the same for the whole year. if you played your share of gacha games - then you should know that's never the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    All of your crafted gems can be sold BTW.

Which leads to the next problem in the game. Soft/Hard caps on grinding in an ARPG. Regardless of how inefficient grinding rifts would be to sell them on the AH, it should be a viable option, but it isn't because of hard caps.

There absolutely should be better distinction between legendary and eternal legendary crests. They are both eerily similar with small distinctions in the frame (and obviously text until you reach the end of the text blurb). If the eternal ones were like RED or something I doubt there would be any confusion as people would probably read the pretty similar text blurb to find the difference between the two. I was actually incredibly lucky as a F2P player and found a 5 star seeping bile gem using one of the few legendary crests awarded to me, and while it's incredibly good, I thought it might be better served on the AH to buy gems that are better suited to my playstyle. This is what led me to research a bit more on why some gems are bound, and some gems are unbound.

Personally I think the biggest faux pas of DI is just the caps that are thrown at you in the game. Just feels weird to have them in an ARPG, regardless of whether it has the distinction of being a mobile game or not. The D2 equivalency would be telling you that act bosses are cut off for loot today after you kill 10 of them a day.
    Pretty sure it's just the random crafted. The random option is the only one that has the market scales logo on it. Unless there is a paying option to allow you that I am unaware of. Only gems I've crafted from the random option allow me to sell in the market.

7+ Year Old Account
    Plenty of PC gamers play on mobile.

No. They were Blizzcon attendies. That's the primary differentiator. Not that they are PC gamers. Most of them probably played Hearthstone. On iPhone.
    What kind of pretzel logic is this? It doesn't matter if PC gamers also play mobile games, that's totally besides the point. Hearthstone and Diablo are different franchises with different target audiences and different expected experiences. Expecting there to be total overlap between these two audiences is stupid, and further inferring that Diablo players would want a Diablo mobile-only title because they might possibly play Hearthstone on a mobile device doesn't even logically follow, especially considering that Hearthstone does not force you to play on mobile. It's clear from the live Blizzcon reaction that people weren't happy about the mobile-only announcement, and the subsequent outrage on the forums (incl. both official and third-party) shows pretty clearly that people weren't happy with it being mobile-only in general. You're contesting things that no one else would try to contest because it's fundamentally wrong, even Allen Adham, one of the co-founders of Blizzard, said after the 2018 backlash that Blizzard's audience generally, and the Diablo audience more specifically, are PC- and console-focused.
    Sylvanas didn't even win the popular vote, she was elected by an indirect election of representatives. #NotMyWarchief

On the sliding scale of "actual video game" to "Mobile Dungeon Keeper", where does this fall? For all the people talking about it I haven't seen gameplay footage yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

That's your mistake. You assume the game stays the same for the whole year. if you played your share of gacha games - then you should know that's never the case.
    Safe bet with blizzard, the only game that gets multiple content updates per year is Hearthstone, and its a genre that came with built-in paid gambling. WoW has gone more than a year without updates before and it's subscription based...

If anything DI is designed to go for long periods without updates because character progression is time gated over multiple decades. Even WoWs weekly lockouts and reward systems didn't take that long to progress through.

You're also assuming if things change they will get better (Adding more free sources of gear/materials) and not worse (Adding more things to buy).

Your whole argument boils down to we can't critique the game as it exists now because it could change. Pretty weak defense. You're basically saying we can't be critical of anything capable of changing. When the opposite is true, theres no point in arguing for changes to be made where no change is possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    On the sliding scale of "actual video game" to "Mobile Dungeon Keeper", where does this fall? For all the people talking about it I haven't seen gameplay footage yet.
    It's a game up until you run out of stuff to do at max level, then every meaningful progression system is daily/weekly/monthly capped unless you pull out a credit card. Buying progress in uncapped, and you can spend hundreds of thousands of dollars min-maxing one character.

Paragon level is tied to the servers progression, going above it gives diminishing returns until a whole days worth of grinding won't level you up. Ranking up your gear and finding better base pieces is locked behind paragon/hell level.

The only uncapped source of power is legendary gems and they can easily make your character twice as strong as someone who isn't as far along in gem progression.

It takes thousands of gems to upgrade through the ranks and it's nearly impossible to get higher rank gems as a free player. You'll get a handful a month, or you can spend $25 and run one 2-5 minute dungeon for several months worth of F2P progression all at once.

Once you max out a gem you have to spend money to awaken the piece of gear it's socketed into, which gives it up to 5 additional gem slots for bonus stats. This isn't available to free players.

Some content is locked behind becoming an immortal, which involves a bunch of PvP progression and fighting against players who are spending money to stay ahead of you. Making it extremely hard if not impossible to achieve as a F2P. Depending on the state of your server, which you cannot switch without rerolling. And everything you earn/buy is locked to one character.

The gameplay looks flashy and the controls on mobile are good. But its very shallow, you don't actually have to dodge those flashy boss attacks, you can AFK most fights. The rest of the game is basically just D3 but with caps. And bounties in a shared map where everyone is fighting for spawns.
    Last edited by Jerot; 2022-06-16 at 05:19 PM.
    (This signature was clearly too awesome for the Avatar & Signature Guidelines and was removed to prevent further facemelting)

Quote Originally Posted by Jerot View Post
    It's a game up until you run out of stuff to do at max level, then every meaningful progression system is daily/weekly/monthly capped unless you pull out a credit card. Buying progress in uncapped, and you can spend hundreds of thousands of dollars min-maxing one character.
    Yikes. That's somehow even worse than "Mobile Dungeon Keeper", where you at least get to know the game is shit after about 50 seconds, instead of getting invested first and them trying to trick you with sunk cost fallacy.

(Disclaimer every time I post this: The actual original Dungeon Keeper games are great and some of my favorite classic PC video games.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Keristrasza View Post
    It's a mobile game, what did you expect? Seriously. I am not even trying to troll, it's just a fact.
    I expect a company that has the supposed values of:

• Gameplay first
    • commitment to quality
    • play nice; play fair
    • embracing inner geek
    • respecting everyone
    • thinking globally
    • leading responsibly
    • learn and grow
    To do better than the shit that is Diablo Immortal. Maybe it's the Activision influence (or NetEase influence) but Blizzard (for me) used to hold a higher spot above other developers because they do the right thing even when it's not the most profitable thing or industry status quo.

Don't get me wrong, the gameplay itself is fine for DI but the excessive monetization is just down right horrible.

Nobody is saying that ABK shouldn't make a mobile game and make some of the money that's out there for the mobile game market (which is larger than PC and Console game market as of 2021), but to make one so predatory and so Gacha is something I would expect from other companies like EA.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    you ain't going to get that 5 star top quality gem, they state the chances and you ain't getting it - you can calculate the end chance yourself, the % are given in store.
    Wait where is the %? Because my understanding is that since Crests go into a Rift (which has to be completed by the player in time) that % don't need to be reported by Blizzard. It's not like Crest directly yield loot box but rather yields access to loot piñata. That small difference seems to keep some of the EU lawyers/regulators at bay (for now)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost of Cow View Post
    I mean, their "fans" were frothing at the mouth the second a "stupid mobile game for stupid kids and girls and non-gamers" was announced.

Pretty sure "good will" was never on the table.
    To be fair, someone at Blizzard wasn't thinking very well to introduce a mobile-only (remember it was originally mobile only at announcement) Diablo game to a crowd of the most dedicated Blizzard PC players.

At the very least, it should have been a PC AND mobile game but what we've got so far is a mobile-ported-to-PC game which has very low PC functionality. And that's before we even go into the MTX stuff....

At the very least, Blizzard could have (and should have) done better.
    ---
    Don't be a victim of IFOWISNAWL!
    Call 800-Calm-The-F-Down, Operators are standing by. Now taking calls on all your Legion worries.