Thread: [TV] Ms. Marvel

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    The interactions between Kamala and her friends do feel a lot like what's in the Tom Holland Spider-Man movies. The theme remains to be seen, since the second episode is where they've started to show what's actually going on.

If you're unsure if you'll like it, you can probably figure that out by the first 10 minutes of the first episode.
    Yeah I'm pretty picky, though I have watched every marvel tv show since they began pumping em out such as loki, hawkeye, vision etc. I'll give it a shot I guess

I tried Agents of Shield but wasn't a huge fan so quit after a season

Quote Originally Posted by ketsui View Post
    I tried Agents of Shield but wasn't a huge fan so quit after a season
    As far as I know, Agents is MCU in name only. It's got very little to do with the rest of this stuff. So far, I'd say Ms Marvel is closer in quality to Loki and WandaVision than to Hawkeye and Falcon/Winter Soldier. Remains to be seen if they can keep it up. Even for those two that started off very well (Loki and WandaVision), they've had a problem finishing as strong.
    Last edited by s_bushido; 2022-06-16 at 12:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    As far as I know, Agents is MCU in name only.
    IDK what the official word is now, but at least in the earlier seasons it was very strongly tied into the MCU. Referenced events from the movies, went along movie plot lines even. Heck, Nick Fury showed up once or twice. But the latter seasons definitely kinda went off the rails a little bit.

I'm looking forward to watching it. I don't have an expectation, wasn't a big Ms Marvel comic person, so I think that is going to help me either like it or not. I feel like the MCU and Star Wars shows I go into with expectation have let me down a lot and the ones I have none for have ended up being okay and I don't have as many qualms.

So I look forward to it hopefully catching my eye, but I'm also a little burned out on all the heroes being teens/highschool. I get why, bring the youth and build long time viewers, but I wouldn't mind them tackling more established heroes and a little less origin story teen drama. Granted that was Moon Knight, but not my favorite show second half better than first. (also I mean for introducing new characters, not continuing the story of established ones)

7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    IDK what the official word is now, but at least in the earlier seasons it was very strongly tied into the MCU. Referenced events from the movies, went along movie plot lines even. Heck, Nick Fury showed up once or twice. But the latter seasons definitely kinda went off the rails a little bit.
    I think it is non-canon, but could also be "Soft canon." Which means not outright not canon, but not fully canon either.

Feige did not have control over Agents or Agent Carter so while they do connect to the MCU, their canon status is questionable at best.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

Only knowing some of the reasons behind the character from when she was announced in the comics realm I had some idea what to expect in the show. Watched the trailer and it seemed kinda quirky and worth giving it a shot. After two episodes I've got to say I think I like the show. Sure there are some cringe moments but there's also the whole discovery bit where it's all new. I don't quite get the introduction of that crew in episode 2 - not sure why they're there at all. In any event I do find myself looking forward to future episodes. You can tell it is in the MCU as it has the same kind of feel.

That said I'm looking forward to her ditching (hopefully) that cowl - I get the inspiration but it just makes her look a bit boxy.

The series has cool characters. Yeah, there is cringy stuff...but cringy stuff that can happen among teenagers and families.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoldor View Post

So I look forward to it hopefully catching my eye, but I'm also a little burned out on all the heroes being teens/highschool. I get why, bring the youth and build long time viewers, but I wouldn't mind them tackling more established heroes and a little less origin story teen drama. Granted that was Moon Knight, but not my favorite show second half better than first. (also I mean for introducing new characters, not continuing the story of established ones)
    I mean there have only been two teenage heroes introduced in phase 4 so far. America Chavez and Kamala Khan. that's basically it. compared to who has been introduced they are far outnumbered; Moon Knight, Kate Bishop, Yelena, Black Knight, Blade (sorta), Clea, Maria Rambeau, Shang-Chi, the Eternals, Eros. Soon you can add She-Hulk to that list as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ketsui View Post
    whats the theme, i saw some people say teen drama with super powers, is it kinda like spiderman early? whats it feel like roughly
    yeah I agree with that assessment. feels very much like the first spider-man movie from 2002

Quote Originally Posted by MrLachyG View Post
    I mean there have only been two teenage heroes introduced in phase 4 so far. America Chavez and Kamala Khan. that's basically it. compared to who has been introduced they are far outnumbered; Moon Knight, Kate Bishop, Yelena, Black Knight, Blade (sorta), Clea, Maria Rambeau, Shang-Chi, the Eternals, Eros. Soon you can add She-Hulk to that list as well
    Kate Bishop comes off very teenagery, despite what her actual show age might be. It's part of the reason why my wife and I couldn't finish Hawkeye and aren't huge fans of MCU Spider-Man. Kamala left us a bit cold in the same way.

And I'm not using teenager in the sense of the drama and love life and whatnot typically associated with teens in film. I'm thinking more of the utter disrespect for anyone older than them and constantly treating everything like it's all a game. With MCU Spidey I can at least assume it's because he never got the Uncle Ben "responsibility" moment, at least until May in NWH, so I'm hoping he's more grounded in the future. But all three of them act in a manner that no one ever did when I was a teenager. Other people's experiences may be different, of course, but that's how it was for us and these characters all grate on our nerves.

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    Kevin Feige has thus far acted coy and kinda dodged the question every time he's been asked. So, anyone saying it's definitely canon is lying. And anyone saying it's definitely not canon is also lying. We simply don't know because they refuse to tell us.

This show kinda feels like Never Have I Ever with superhero powers thrown on top. And I'm okay with that.

10+ Year Old Account
    I mean there have only been two teenage heroes introduced in phase 4 so far. America Chavez and Kamala Khan.
    There have been a few soft introductions as well.

Though they weren't teenagers, they very well might be soon in the MCU: Wiccan, Speed, and Stature

In Falcon and the Winter Soldier: Patriot

In the Loki show: Kid Loki

Since Kang is an established villain, the set up for Young Avengers is slowly coming together. As the OG Avengers will likely age out of their roles, and want to free up time for other projects, Young Avengers are a good fit to continue the Avengers story in the MCU.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerraw View Post
    Kevin Feige has thus far acted coy and kinda dodged the question every time he's been asked. So, anyone saying it's definitely canon is lying. And anyone saying it's definitely not canon is also lying. We simply don't know because they refuse to tell us.
    That's pretty much it with one caveat, Seasons 6 & to a lesser extent 7 don't fit well if at all. But that said they bent over backward thru season 5 to keep the show canonical to the MCU.

Quote Originally Posted by JDL49 View Post
    That's pretty much it with one caveat, Seasons 6 & to a lesser extent 7 don't fit well if at all. But that said they bent over backward thru season 5 to keep the show canonical to the MCU.
    Those two seasons are indeed the odd ones out, but they take place more than a year into what would be the snap. There's nothing outright denying that the snap has taken place.

If they wanted to, there's plenty of ways they could explains it away. Whether they'd be good explanations is of course a different matter, but it could be done.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerraw View Post
    Those two seasons are indeed the odd ones out, but they take place more than a year into what would be the snap. There's nothing outright denying that the snap has taken place.

If they wanted to, there's plenty of ways they could explains it away. Whether they'd be good explanations is of course a different matter, but it could be done.
    I believe at the time they said the show split off onto its own timeline. This was because noone knew what was going to happen in endgame so it was impossible to tie the show into the MCU at that point.

Quote Originally Posted by everydaygamer View Post
    I believe at the time they said the show split off onto its own timeline. This was because noone knew what was going to happen in endgame so it was impossible to tie the show into the MCU at that point.
    I guess they have all sorts of time travel shenanigans going on anyway, so it's easily explained away with wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey stuff.

This came out hot but has done progressively smaller streaming numbers and is not trending very high. This probably gonna up being a "Hawkeye" performer for Disney+.

I think other studios are gonna feel more confident counter-programming the D+ streaming shows after Moon Knight, Obi-Wan, and Ms. Marvel.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    This came out hot but has done progressively smaller streaming numbers and is not trending very high.
    And where, pray tell, are you pulling this out of?

It's rated higher than Black Panther was, and despite the massive campaign to review bomb it, it's not far behind in audience scores either (97% and 84% respectively on Rotten Tomatoes, and 6.2/10 on IMDB).

So hilarious when people like you try to act like you're talking out of anything but your backside.

I think other studios are gonna feel more confident counter-programming the D+ streaming shows after Moon Knight, Obi-Wan, and Ms. Marvel.
    And nothing about that sentence makes any sense to me. How do you "counter-program" a streaming service other than by simply existing.

"Oh Harriet, I don't know. Ms. Marvel is being released at midnight today, and so are these two other shows on different streaming services. Since we can't possibly watch them whenever the fuck we want, which one are we going to watch?!?!"
    Last edited by Infinity Cubed; 2022-06-17 at 02:29 PM.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Infinity Cubed View Post

It's rated higher than Black Panther was, and despite the massive campaign to review bomb it, it's not far behind in audience scores either (97% and 84% respectively on Rotten Tomatoes, and 6.2/10 on IMDB).

So hilarious when people like you try to act like you're talking out of anything but your backside.
    when it comes to imdb I don't trust that at all. primarily because the show has a lower rating than the episodes themselves (show 6.2, ep 1 7.3 ep 2 7.1) which means people were downvoting the show well before the episodes came out

Quote Originally Posted by Infinity Cubed View Post

when it comes to imdb I don't trust that at all. primarily because the show has a lower rating than the episodes themselves (show 6.2, ep 1 7.3 ep 2 7.1) which means people were downvoting the show well before the episodes came out
    "and despite the massive campaign to review bomb it"