Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I have to assume leveling up now just gives credits directly, and you can just buy all the current cosmetics from the OW store, and the battlepass rewards are time limited things - or hopefully, they roll them into the store in the future for inflated prices.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pacotaco View Post
    And thats the problem: young people aren't really aware of how much they are being ripped off nowadays compared to how it used to be just 2 decades away, because they were too young or hadn't been born yet and they don't have the context of what it's happening: basically the gambling industry taking over the game industry to use it as a vehicle for it's business.
    The sims with its multiple money grab expansions launched in 2000. Monetization of video games is nothing new.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Quote Originally Posted by RobertMugabe View Post
    "gradually getting worse and worse" is just bullshit and you being dishonest. Sure, Diablo Immortal's monetization system sucks, but 1 game isn't the same as gradually getting worse...
    Oh hell, sure it's getting worse. 20 years ago Bethesda had MAJOR backslash for putting horse armor as DLC at an absurd price.
    I'm pretty sure that they could do it again today, and noone would bat an eyelash, judging by what is sold and the prices the have.

Edit, for putting some context: https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/events/horse-armor

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    The sims with its multiple money grab expansions launched in 2000. Monetization of video games is nothing new.
    That was explained on one of my previous post: it started with expansions. Then it came the slippery slope.
    Last edited by pacotaco; 2022-06-16 at 11:32 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    That was explained on one of my previous post: it started with expansions. Then it came the slippery slope.
    It has always been a slippery slope. Game developers have always been interested in making money any way they can. People even paid for cheat codes with Game Shark and Game Genie. It is silly to pretend that making money any way they can is something new or recent.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

"Full" games from my first console (snes) to today cost exactly the same, I could buy Super Mario World for (the equivalent of) 60€ and i can buy AAA games for 60€ nowadays; but money is worth less than half due to inflation and development teams have growth from 10-20 developers to hundreds. It's dellusional to think this can continue forever; as development teams are bigger everytime and inflation won't ever dissapear. In order to keep up with the increase in costs they have to be inventive on how to sell games and make you think you are not paying 2 or 3 times more.

7+ Year Old Account
    ah yes the only half interesting thing comes sometime in 2023 what joy
    enjoy overwatch 1,1 yall

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertMugabe View Post
    "gradually getting worse and worse" is just bullshit and you being dishonest. Sure, Diablo Immortal's monetization system sucks, but 1 game isn't the same as gradually getting worse...
    I wasn't talking about solely Diablo Immortal though. Looking at WoW for example, how about the price of server transfers or the implementation of the WoW token during WoD. That is why I personally feel since 2004 and now, Blizzards way of making money has been getting worse and worse, hence why I said it. Nothing dishonest about it. You're more than welcome to disagree if you wish.

7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Baleful View Post
    Yet riot is constantly praised when they release two champs VS 50+ skins + over 10 battle passes every year; while Blizzard is demonized for exactly the same reason.

How exactly do you think they will get money if they release a f2p game with no cosmetic content and/or battle passes and/or lootboxes?
    They don't need to make the f2p for one.
    And the most recent Blizzard game that is released f2p has horrible monetization.

I am not saying "DO NOT MONETIZE" it is do not over monetize the game. These aren't the same thing.

And I don't follow Riot so I cannot confirm if they are praised or not.

I don't hate battle passes, I hate battle passes that are designed to get people to pay for the premium version not through cool stuff but because they hamper the free track. We don't know how this pass system will be yet.
    I don't hate loot boxes, I hate loot boxes where there is heavy RNG for gear for power especially when the odds are not known or insanely low.
    I don't hate selling cosmetic content. I am annoyed if I can't get cosmetic content told to me at a real world price or through a single conversion from real world currency. I dislike multiple in game currencies if there isn't a reason for it.

- - - Updated - - -

It has always been a slippery slope. Game developers have always been interested in making money any way they can. People even paid for cheat codes with Game Shark and Game Genie. It is silly to pretend that making money any way they can is something new or recent.
    We all know the goal is to make money. It is just the mobile market for years has been this way where they monetize everything they can. And developers see these mobile games making tons of money and what to bring that into console and pc gaming.

Expansions and DLC have problems. Like the complaint about Day 1 DLC in games, where the game just launched and there is already a paid DLC for it. Expansions that just add recolors or rehash areas with little effort get crap too. It isn't anything new about being upset over how companies make money. The issue is some people are becoming apathetic to it as the system becomes more predatory or deceptive.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    We all know the goal is to make money. It is just the mobile market for years has been this way where they monetize everything they can. And developers see these mobile games making tons of money and what to bring that into console and pc gaming.
    Nothing Overwatch 2 is doing is new or limited to mobile markets. So it seems silly to fear monger about mobile gaming coming to PC when it isn't relevant to OW2 at all. Wouldn't the presence of loot boxes already indicate OW1 already passed that point? So complaining about it happening with OW2 is silly?

7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Nothing Overwatch 2 is doing is new or limited to mobile markets. So it seems silly to fear monger about mobile gaming coming to PC when it isn't relevant to OW2 at all. Wouldn't the presence of loot boxes already indicate OW1 already passed that point? So complaining about it happening with OW2 is silly?
    No, because Loot boxes aren't from mobile. The first recognize game with loot boxes (in the modern sense) was a PC game. And "loot boxes" themselves are based on real world games that existed for a while. Also, I do not have to buy loot boxes. And bought loot boxes (save for the Guaranteed Legendary one) do not have different odds than earned loot boxes.

Again, the problem is not monetization, it is over monetization. Where they monetize everything they can in a game.

Look at what we know. They are introducing a new cosmetic (weapon charm). A new tier of skin (Mythic) which is customizable which is great. But, that gives them more things they could monetize. Not only monetizing the skin, but they could monetize certain options on the mythic skin. I am not saying it will happen, but just Diablo Immortal has left a bad taste in my mouth that I can't trust Blizzard not to do it.

Also, it isn't "fear mongering" about the over monetization from mobile gaming going to other parts of the market. It is happening. There are some MMOs that are insanely and predatorily monetized, but they aren't a main stream game. The biggest games that have these issues are the EA sports game with their monetization, but people have stopped caring there.
    Last edited by Darththeo; 2022-06-17 at 01:59 AM.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Uh it doesn't really matter to me. The game or update (whatever you want to call it) is free, so you can either download it when it launches or just wait until the PvE gets released in 2023.

Sorry but to me loot boxes were awful when originally launched in OW because there was virtually zero control over what you got. Sure if you played an absolute metric shit ton you could get everything, but this highly reminded me of LoL when it was first released. Even playing a lot, you as a F2P would never keep up with champion releases (in the first ~3 years they were releasing them every 2-3 weeks), not to mention other necessities in the game like rune pages which were pretty much required if you wanted to 'flex' roles in LoL. It's why I quit LoL and played DOTA 2 because you could just play.. everything for free and the monetization was cosmetic in nature.

To me, no loot boxes is a win anyway. I'm sure whatever they're doing with the battle pass they release will have two tracks, like most battle passes do. One that is free, and the other that costs money. Until we see what's on these tracks it's all pure speculation. It could be pretty unfair or it could simply offer you more control. To me there was nothing remotely fun about opening dumb ass loot boxes only to get skins/sprays on heroes I fucking never played.

The game has to make money, and the update is free I guess? They could go with the DOTA 2 model or they could go with LoL in regards to their monetization. One having everything available to you with random unlocks, and the other having certain things gated needing to be unlocked. For me I just hope new maps and heroes aren't gated at all and it's purely cosmetic (I guess even more so if it wasn't RNG).

When I play F2P games I rarely spend any money in them. Even DOTA 2 which I had thousands of hours on I spent zero, and LoL was the exact same. PoE is the only F2P game that I've spend like 50 bucks on, but none of that was on cosmetics, it was purely on stash tabs. I don't really fault people for buying cosmetics if that's their thing and personally, if something did strike me as cool, there's a small chance I might pick it up.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    No, because Loot boxes aren't from mobile.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loot_box#History

If you only recognize Fifa or Team Fortress 2 as the first for loot boxes then you ignore a large part of their history. Nothing announced for OW2 requires you to buy it and they still remain optional cosmetics. So your argument is moving the goal posts as well as not based on facts. Of course more content gives them more things to monetize. It also doesn't change that their model of selling skins/cosmetics is still the same between OW1 and OW2.

It is most certainly fear mongering because over monetization isn't going to happen because of Overwatch 2. They aren't taking things from the mobile market because everything they are doing has existed in PC games already. Of course the industry is making money any way they can. That is their goal. To make money. You are playing on the fear of the industry as a whole adopting the model because of one game. That is fear mongering. Lmao.
    Last edited by rhorle; 2022-06-17 at 02:21 AM.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loot_box#History

If you only recognize Fifa or Team Fortress 2 as the first for loot boxes then you ignore a large part of their history. Nothing announced for OW2 requires you to buy it and they still remain optional cosmetics. So your argument is moving the goal posts as well as not based on facts. Of course more content gives them more things to monetize. It also doesn't change that their model of selling skins/cosmetics is still the same between OW1 and OW2.

It is most certainly fear mongering because over monetization isn't going to happen because of Overwatch 2. They aren't taking things from the mobile market because everything they are doing has existed in PC games already. Of course the industry is making money any way they can. That is their goal. To make money. You are playing on the fear of the industry as a whole adopting the model because of one game. That is fear mongering. Lmao.
    Your link says maplestory is the first known loot box.

7+ Year Old Account
    It's like they began making ow2 and half way through they thought, oh shit we were supposed to add pve lol

overwatch 2.. Pass.........

Whole point of OW2 was pve, and its not even launching with the game lmao. Like someone else said, this is a patch not an entire new game that deserves the "2" title

And thats the problem: young people aren't really aware of how much they are being ripped off nowadays compared to how it used to be just 2 decades away, because they were too young or hadn't been born yet and they don't have the context of what it's happening: basically the gambling industry taking over the game industry to use it as a vehicle for it's business.
    2 decades away you paid for the game and the game stayed the same forever but for bug fixing patches from time to time. Maybe you got an expansion or two (you had to pay for) and gg.

If you want games with never ending support and new features every now and then, the 2 decades ago business model is not sustainable anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Pandragon View Post
    Seriously. The PVE stuff is why I was excited for this to come out.
    Hah same here. The rework of classes, new modes and maps were a welcome addition but the PvE side is what had my attention. Then they have this huge reveal and... Nothing much about PvE besides "its coming in 2023". Seems off to me that they have so little to show for.

- - - Updated - - -

Guess this store will be the preview for D4 store. At least if we accept it.