View Poll Results: Is "I cannot make it to work because I cannot afford gas" a viable reason?

Voters
54. This poll is closed
  • Yes, employers should take this into account.

25 46.30%
  • Not a good excuse, time to budget better.

17 31.48%
  • Pineapples on pizza are not THAT bad.

12 22.22%
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BeepBoo View Post
    No, I fucking teach actively. I know how easy it is to be an effective teacher. No, not a grade school, but I am a teacher.
    Being an adjunct professor at a college can have far fewer requirements than being a K-12 teacher, depending on what you're teaching. And apparently they do, if you just waltzed into your teaching job and said you knew how to do whatever it is you teach. I'm sure your fellow educators love your opinions about how useless and easily replaced they all are.

Those courses are easy. Sorry.

Also, yes I'm talking about how easy it is to be a teacher, not how much time and effort it takes to get "certified" for teaching. If the supply of teachers was smaller and they weren't tripping head over heels to get jobs (the only reason this is even a thing is specifically because it's easy to do) then we probably wouldn't have such certifications.
    So in order to fill the void of teachers you're proposing should occur, you just need people five years ago to have done a bunch of work.

Excellent plan.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

excuse me, how's this current economy of "easily replaceable workers" going for us? exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Being an adjunct professor at a college can have far fewer requirements than being a K-12 teacher, depending on what you're teaching. And apparently they do, if you just waltzed into your teaching job and said you knew how to do whatever it is you teach. I'm sure your fellow educators love your opinions about how useless and easily replaced they all are.
    Useless? Not at all. I didn't say useless. Teaching is far from useless.; it's actually essential. It's also just easy insofar as the current american standard is concerned for the actual teaching part (again, not the certs).

So in order to fill the void of teachers you're proposing should occur, you just need people five years ago to have done a bunch of work.

Excellent plan.
    "Should" occur? No. The issue with teaching and low wages is one of oversupply, just like the rest of the low wages thing. It also just happens to have horrible ROI as you state because you have to go through all these extra hoops when you could just have gotten a trade in a quarter the time, or gone to college for a job field that actually necessitates the 4 years beyond just serving as an artificial barrier to entry (which is how I view teaching degrees. Something that exists strictly to prevent even MORE people from competing with the positions available).

Also, you're misunderstanding what I'm proposing. Teaching degrees and certs would evaporate overnight if we suddenly had no one signing up to teach. We would be taking whoever we could get and also being pleasantly surprised when those without the official piece of paper still did as good as the people who previously held said pieces of paper.

Quote Originally Posted by uuuhname View Post
    excuse me, how's this current economy of "easily replaceable workers" going for us? exactly?
    Just fine now that jobamabucks ran out?

People getting paid to stay at home was a temporary measure (that also wrecked the economy in no small part and caused the hyper inflation we're seeing now) for covid.
    Last edited by BeepBoo; 2022-06-17 at 05:53 AM.

People getting paid to stay at home was a temporary measure (that also wrecked the economy in no small part and caused the hyper inflation we're seeing now) for covid.
    What wrecked the economy were the extended lockdowns and quarantines because a bunch of idiots kept treating covid as either a joke/fake news because "evil liberal government taking my freedoms!" or as something no worse than the flu.

7+ Year Old Account

Man, just really going all out to show us you don't have even the lightest grasp of, well, anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venara
    Half this forum would be permanently banned if we did everything some of our users regularly demand or otherwise expect us to do.
    Actual blue mod response on doing what they volunteered to do. No wonder this place is infested.

What the fuck does this even mean? You realize the stimulus checks came under Biden and Trump, right?

People getting paid to stay at home was a temporary measure
    $2,000 and then another $1,400 over the course of two years isn't exactly living the high life or...well...any life, my guy.

(that also wrecked the economy in no small part and caused the hyper inflation we're seeing now) for covid.
    Jesus christ you could just tell us you don't have a grasp of macroeconomics.

Are the Trump and Biden checks responsible for the inflation in the rest of the world, too?

10+ Year Old Account
    thinking the 2k bucks + 600 per month for unemployment was the cause of hyperinflation instead of, ya know, supply chains shutting down and companies getting MASSIVE PPP loans that they often just pocketed. Thats just just either being ignorant, or willfully wrong because "Dems bad, life would be better if we let everyone die from COVID and related complications because MuH CaPiTaLiSm"

Imagine thinking that millions is the problem that individuals got rather than the billions that the companies got. Imagine thinking we should have gone full Dan Patrick and say we should sacrifice lives for the economy. I know I could never be like that

aaaanyways, Im not seeing any justification for constant 20-30 cent jumps every week. Like I get refinery production is down and Russia decided to be an idiot and wage war, but this is insane. When PPB was similar like a decade ago, even adjusting for inflation it wasnt like this.
    Last edited by Crissi; 2022-06-17 at 07:14 AM.

cool, good to know you'd spearhead the economy completely folding in on itself in any emergency situation like a global pandemic. really curious how you think an economy functions when most people are stuck at home or a hospital. just allow millions and millions of people to be homeless and they can't afford to do the thing that keeps the economy going, I'm sure you'd be singing the same tune of "GET A JOB, BUM."
    Last edited by uuuhname; 2022-06-17 at 07:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    This, children, is an example of the Dunning-Kruger effect. Someone who knows very little, convinced that they know a lot, because their ignorance of the subject has convinced them that it's very easy.

First, in order to teach... any grade, you need a bachelor's degree. So that's four years of college education, potentially five, right there at least... and no, not taking underwater basket weaving for four years, taking actual, specific teaching courses. Plus the monetary requirements required to fund it. And some states require additional certifications for teaching on top of that. Then, you have to student teach for at least half a semester. Then... maybe you can get hired as a teacher, potentially at a school some distance from you, and not even necessarily the one you student-taught at.

You think you show up to the little red schoolhouse with a nice outfit on, tell them you can teach multiplication tables and they give you a classroom of 25 first graders right then and there? Lemme guess, kids these days just need to pound the pavement and stop buying ipods and avacado toast if they wanna afford a house, right? Just because you might have had a drunken lout they picked off the street that would oggle the junior girls as a woodshop teacher when you were in highschool doesn't mean that kind of thing flies anymore.

And whether you think people should be able to waltz on in to a school, demonstrate that they know a few basic facts, and then be made a teacher... well, doesn't make it so.
    I'm a qualified teacher in the UK and maybe this differs vastly by country but here it is very easy to become a teacher. You just need any old degree at any level of pass, which most young people have as most go to university now and they give them away easy. You then need to do a year teacher training, which is tough but honestly it is not intellectually challenging just gruelling in terms of work load. Some of the people I was doing it with were pretty useless and not very bright but still passed (That old saying those that can do, those that can't teach is quite true). Then you do a year working as a newly qualified teacher (NQT) and that's it. You get paid full salary in the NQT year and you get bursaries to help you through the training year, so money isn't really an issue.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by MuH sTaTe LiNeS View Post
    In Biden's america it is.
    IN BIDen'S AMERIcA iT Is.

This is you. This is what you sound like. Please take some time to educate yourself on the state of the global economy, and how in terms of inflation, America is somewhere in the middle. Not nearly the worst, not nearly the best, just in the middle. If you wanna blame something affecting the entire planet on Biden, feel free, but we'll all know it's bullshit.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, it's a shame that the rich bastards who run the country weren't willing to shut things down completely for a couple of weeks to burn out COVID. Would've really helped a lot and then the "paid to stay at home" stuff wouldn't have had to happen nearly as much. Too bad greedy business assholes can't think about long-term, huh?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Malkiah View Post
    but that's the rub and IMO and the ultimate failure of this line of reasoning: you're not leaving them to their own devices, because that's not physically possible to do.

you can't opt out of human civilization - there's nowhere to go that you can just go live on your own. even assuming someone had the skills necessary to live off the land, there's no land to just go live off of.

so you have no choice but to be a part of, and dependent on, a system that requires you to partake in this fucked up dance of wage slavery in order to even exist.
    and while most people thrive in it and wouldn't really know what to do with themselves without it, some people don't and are miserable because of it.

as a species and as a civilization, we have the excess resources to just hand those people a decent but unremarkable life - which i would consider a consolation prize for being born without having asked for it.

we have so much excess resource that giving everyone disinclined (or unable) to part of the grinding machinery of capitalism would effectively cost us nothing.
    the only reason you could possibly have to not do so is for the sake of being a moist, pulsating, prolapsed anus.
    I just wanted to say this is an incredible post, and one I agree with for the most part. Some people really fail to consider that the certain people just aren't built for the modern world we live in, but they're forced to participate in it anyway. None of us asked to be born, and many would prefer they hadn't been.

I also find the guy you're replying to totally repulsive in his ideals. The only thing I'll give him is that he's honest about how desire to let millions of people suffer and die...? That's... something, right?

NPs make like 100k a year. Not exactly low wage people with no training. Teachers are easily replaceable. Anyone who knows the info can become good at teaching it. "Healthcare workers?" Which ones, exactly? Most of the lower rung ones take next to no time to learn their skills.

Cooks? Again, which cooks? Cooking is fucking easy. GOOD cooks (as in head chefs at nice restaurants) get paid well. Line cooks are a dime a dozen and easily learned positions.

Food processing people? Yeah. Any factory/line job is easy as shit, period.
    lul, this is pc2 level of detachment from reality
    12/6/2009 -23/11/2020 rip little deathstalker Ferretti. proud forsaken, enemy of the livings

Quote Originally Posted by omeomorfismo View Post
    Big "housecat" vibes like you get from libertarians, often.

Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    What wrecked the economy were the extended lockdowns and quarantines because a bunch of idiots kept treating covid as either a joke/fake news because "evil liberal government taking my freedoms!" or as something no worse than the flu.
    Oh right, because the entire rest of the world that DID do serious lockdowns didn't also just have resurgences later? They just delayed the inevitable and still also had to print money.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    What the fuck does this even mean? You realize the stimulus checks came under Biden and Trump, right?
    Yes, it's just a meme statement, chill. The point being everyone world-wide printed money to keep things floating along instead of just putting up with short term extreme economic hardship that wouldn't then take the rest of my life to recover from.

Are the Trump and Biden checks responsible for the inflation in the rest of the world, too?
    Nope, which I admitted. Sorry I used a meme name that overly generalizes. Don't take it literally. I mean "free money" printed in general world-wide.

Quote Originally Posted by The Stormbringer View Post
    we'll all know it's bullshit.
    I know it's bullshit too. Biden doesn't control the fed, nor any of the other world banks, though he is partially responsible for asking for that money.

Yeah, it's a shame that the rich bastards who run the country weren't willing to shut things down completely for a couple of weeks to burn out COVID. Would've really helped a lot and then the "paid to stay at home" stuff wouldn't have had to happen nearly as much. Too bad greedy business assholes can't think about long-term, huh?
    See my first statement in this post. It was coming regardless. Even countries that hardcore locked down ended up having surges. Don't get me wrong, I was first in line (when eligible) for vaccines and I'm about to get my 4th total one. I was down for shutdown and thought it was stupid as well, but the reality is we were never going to actually beat and eradicate it. I don't blame greedy businesses. I blame people in general. No one wanted to sit at home and do nothing for that much time. No one wanted to make sacrifices or put up with the "inconvenience" (lol pansies) of masks or whatever. People wanted to minimize their inconveniences and roll the dice.
    None of us asked to be born, and many would prefer they hadn't been.
    You can fix that. People who don't appreciate life always have an easy out and I think we'd be better off. I'm super happy with life and regret none of it thus far, even though I've experienced some damn hard hardships (I suppose nothing compared to congo kids who had their villages lit up or whatever, but going "no true scottsman" on suffering seems like a lose/lose).

The only thing I'll give him is that he's honest about how desire to let millions of people suffer and die...? That's... something, right?
    You're confusing my desire to allow civilization to decide to let people suffer and die as it sees fit with me somehow wanting to see those people suffer and die. No, I'm just not selfish enough, nor capable enough, nor willing to shoulder the burdens those people don't want to, that I feel comfortable telling them they NEED to be willing to do the things I'm not. I'm extending society at large the courtesies I want to be extended: 100% discretion on deciding who I help and to what degree.

Yes, it's just a meme statement, chill. The point being everyone world-wide printed money to keep things floating along instead of just putting up with short term extreme economic hardship that wouldn't then take the rest of my life to recover from.
    Literally selfish misanthropy.

Seriously, why are all libertarians housecats?

I don't know what you mean by "housecat", but if my assumption is correct to the meaning, you're very very wrong. I assure you I'm smart, physically fit, well adapted, capable, and naturally talented to the point I can do basically anything I put my mind to. My whole goal in life is to constantly reinforce my arrogance by proving it so it's no longer arrogance, and I rarely fail.

- - - Updated - - -

Literally selfish misanthropy.

Seriously, why are all libertarians housecats?
    Lets put it like this. If I could be stung by 50 bees in one sitting or stung by 100 bees across the next year, I'd go 50 bees every time. Short term pain of smaller total magnitude > long term pain of smaller intermittent magnitude but greater total magnitude. Every. Single. Time.

I don't know what you mean by "housecat", but if my assumption is correct to the meaning, you're very very wrong. I assure you I'm smart, physically fit, well adapted, capable, and naturally talented to the point I can do basically anything I put my mind to. My whole goal in life is to constantly reinforce my arrogance by proving it so it's no longer arrogance, and I rarely fail.
    And yet, here you are. Trying to prove you're correct in some way.
    And failing.
    No different from PC2.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    And yet, here you are. Trying to prove you're correct in some way.
    And failing.
    No different from PC2.
    That would be because, as far as morals go, there is no actual "correctness." I'm not trying to win anything here, just enjoying the argument. No one is convincing anyone to change their mind here. All I'm saying is "fuck you and anyone who thinks I should have to use my strength to support some minimum quality of life for some minimum quality humans."

7+ Year Old Account
    Interdependance is a part of civilization, I understand that. That doesn't justify the leftist policy that you want though.
    Quote Originally Posted by omeomorfismo View Post
    We should try to talk about *ideas* and solutions that relate to the topic. We shouldn't be gossiping about people, imo.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh right, because the entire rest of the world that DID do serious lockdowns didn't also just have resurgences later? They just delayed the inevitable and still also had to print money.
    Not even remotely to the scale of the USA.

86m cases, 1m deaths, in the USA.

How about Canada?
    4m cases, and 42k fatalities.

Now, there's a population difference, yes. The USA has roughly 9 times the population. So let's multiply those figures by 9; proportionally, a USA-sized Canada would've had 36m cases, and 250k deaths. Less than half the cases, a quarter of the deaths.

Yeah, we've had some resurgences, too, but the overall scale has been far reduced. And Canada's not particularly exceptional. The USA is the outlier, in having a garbage COVID response.

You're pushing disinformation.

You're confusing my desire to allow civilization to decide to let people suffer and die as it sees fit with me somehow wanting to see those people suffer and die.
    You are literally advocating for that state of civilization, actively, right now, in that post right there. That is you saying you want to see those people suffer and die.

You're lying. Blatantly and unapologetically.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    You are literally advocating for that state of civilization, actively, right now, in that post right there. That is you saying you want to see those people suffer and die.

You're lying. Blatantly and unapologetically.
    I suppose yes, I think that everyone who would be dead if my system got instituted tomorrow *should* be dead because they're already living on forced borrowed time at the unwilling hands of others and that's not cool.

However, you're acting like I'd be irate if somehow they all suddenly got the help they needed to survive. That's just not true. I don't care if they live or die. I DO care if they're living on forced help, though.