View Poll Results: Is "I cannot make it to work because I cannot afford gas" a viable reason?

Voters
54. This poll is closed
  • Yes, employers should take this into account.

25 46.30%
  • Not a good excuse, time to budget better.

17 31.48%
  • Pineapples on pizza are not THAT bad.

12 22.22%
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BeepBoo View Post
    I suppose yes, I think that everyone who would be dead if my system got instituted tomorrow *should* be dead because they're already living on forced borrowed time at the unwilling hands of others and that's not cool.

However, you're acting like I'd be irate if somehow they all suddenly got the help they needed to survive. That's just not true. I don't care if they live or die. I DO care if they're living on forced help, though.
    You're literally expressing that antagonism, right here, directly. You can keep lying about it, but your own words contradict you, directly. You just don't like admitting what that says about you.

I don't know what you mean by "housecat", but if my assumption is correct to the meaning, you're very very wrong. I assure you I'm smart, physically fit, well adapted, capable, and naturally talented to the point I can do basically anything I put my mind to. My whole goal in life is to constantly reinforce my arrogance by proving it so it's no longer arrogance, and I rarely fail.

Steo away from that keyboard and put your hands weher i can see them.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    You're literally expressing that antagonism, right here, directly. You can keep lying about it, but your own words contradict you, directly. You just don't like admitting what that says about you.
    Me expressing hate for someone and that I should be allowed to let them die isn't me advocating for killing them. Again, for like the 100th time, letting someone die isn't causing their death. To the actual point of this thread: no one is going to accept the excuse because most jobs impacted by this are just human cog types.
    Last edited by BeepBoo; 2022-06-17 at 05:15 PM.

That would be because, as far as morals go, there is no actual "correctness." I'm not trying to win anything here, just enjoying the argument. No one is convincing anyone to change their mind here. All I'm saying is "fuck you and anyone who thinks I should have to use my strength to support some minimum quality of life for some minimum quality humans."
    You need humanity to qualify as human.
    However if it means anything you do qualify as libertarian.

10+ Year Old Account
    Me expressing hate for someone and that I should be allowed to let them die isn't me advocating for killing them. Again, for like the 100th time, letting someone die isn't causing their death. To the actual point of this thread: no one is going to accept the excuse because most jobs impacted by this are just human cog types.
    It's the difference between being a Manson family cultist drawing a knife across the throat of their most recent murder victim, or being one of the other Manson family cultists in the room cheering them on for doing so.

That's not a particularly meaningful distinction to draw.

It's the difference between being a Manson family cultist drawing a knife across the throat of their most recent murder victim, or being one of the other Manson family cultists in the room cheering them on for doing so.
    Except.. still no. No one in this case is causing those people to starve. They're starving because no one is helping them. No one is murdering them, and no one is cheering on their death. They're just dying and no one is caring. Enormous difference.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    If I can't afford $20 in gas why would you think I couldd afford a several thousand dollar motorcycle or ebike?

Hahaha
    The reason is because it's cheaper to downsize from a car to a 2-wheel automobile.

Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    The reason is because it's cheaper to downsize from a car to a 2-wheel automobile.
    I mean...

Ignoring the time it takes to get a M-license
    Ignoring the costs associated with it (licensing fees, training)
    Ignoring the purchase cost (who knows how much they'd get from their car)
    Ignoring that they may need a vehicle capable of transporting more than 1-2 people

You continue to live in a world of pure imagination.

I've said it before that capitalism as it is today isn't viable in the long run. Wages and costs of living never meet with wages falling further behind every year. Or at least that was how it used to be. Things seem to be accelerating.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    I've said it before that capitalism as it is today isn't viable in the long run. Wages and costs of living never meet with wages falling further behind every year. Or at least that was how it used to be. Things seem to be accelerating.
    This is not a recent development though.

https://www.piie.com/blogs/realtime-...r-productivity

10+ Year Old Account
    Except.. still no. No one in this case is causing those people to starve. They're starving because no one is helping them. No one is murdering them, and no one is cheering on their death. They're just dying and no one is caring. Enormous difference.
    You're not sitting there passively. You're actively arguing that society should function that way. Your claims of passivity are a lie.

Herald of the Titans OnlineSamantha's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    It gives me the warm and fuzzies to know that I, a person with schizophrenia that cannot work an adequate amount of hours to make a living, should die in some people's utopia.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trumpresident View Post
    My words exactly. Manufacturing in the US is considerably more expensive than elsewhere, and part of that are savage regulations such as environment protection or minimum wages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderaan View Post
    Saying that Wilson is a racist murderer is the same level of conspiracy as saying Sandy Hook didn't happen and the parents are in on it.
    I don't post that often, and when I do it's often in bursts. I always lurk though.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    So you want me to sell my car now? That's your solution for a father of 3? Or any number of children really.."sell your vehicle and buy a bike, duh!"

Nah I wasn't saying it was a solution for people with cargo, not in the US anyways... Over in India and China a lot of poor families use motorbikes because it's the only thing they can afford.

---
    ---

Last edited by PC2; 2022-06-17 at 09:34 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nah I wasn't saying it was a solution for people with cargo...

Over in India and China a lot of poor families use motorbikes because it's the only thing they can afford.
    You celebrate the conditions of a country wracked by some of the worst levels of poverty and wealth inequality in the known world.

Unsurprising.

7+ Year Old Account
    You celebrate the conditions of a country wracked by some of the worst levels of poverty and wealth inequality in the known world.

Unsurprising.
    No you're misunderstanding me. I celebrate anytime a piece of technology can solve a problem for someone. Some families in India can't afford a car yet and so it's a good thing that there are 2-wheel options that are affordable.
    Last edited by PC2; 2022-06-17 at 09:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Yes and no, depends on the company and if you’re using a company vehicle. In general tho, no. I feel for people, I do, as this is the second time that I’ve been through a period of time when gas prices rose significantly. It’s why we traded of our car in for a hybrid years ago.

- - - Updated - - -

Gas prices are skyrocketing all over the world, but you think the American President is responsible for it?
    Why no? Gas is expensive.. poorer people suffer the most. They have to often live further away from where jobs are which causes increased costs in travel, upkeep, and gas. If 1/3 of your income goes to upkeeping a car... do you not see a problem? The answer is public transit expansion.

The Lightbringer theostrichsays's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    In my douche canoe crossing the Delaware.
    Not exactly low wage people with no training. Teachers are easily replaceable. Anyone who knows the info can become good at teaching it.
    Food processing people? Yeah. Any factory/line job is easy as shit, period.
    I know it's two pages ago, and you've already had a bunch of responses, but as someone who has worked factory work and volunteered a lot at a school, you're not really paying people for their skills, you're paying them to be miserable and keep showing up, because revolving doors of employees lower profits, and as covid showed a lot of people rely on schools to act as a daycare as much as a place for their kid to learn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Axelhander View Post
    Thank you for mansplaining how opinions work.
    Also you're wrong, the people who agree with you are wrong, and you're probably ugly.
    Ever been so angry at everyone on the internet you tell a woman she is mansplaining?

No you're misunderstanding me. I celebrate anytime a piece of technology can solve a problem for someone. Some families in India can't afford a car yet and so it's a good thing that there are 2-wheel options that are affordable.
    Stop pretending you know anything about India.

10+ Year Old Account
    People should get their priorities in order. If people honestly have time to worry about the unimportant shit in society then we’re alright.

Unless you’re medically disabled, homeless and starving you’re not in a critical situation.

If you can’t afford gas. Get a smeller vehicle, car Poole, take a bus. Bicycle or fucking walk.

Someone calling me they can’t get to work because of gas they’d be fired
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

clearly some of you do not live in the US to honestly think public transportation or walking is viable in even a fraction of this country. like have you people never heard of Houston?