Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Infinity Cubed View Post
    And thanks for confirming it. (It was the episode prior to this week's.)
    Yeah, I have to apologize, I can sometimes be naive. I think I missed the controversy of that episode. I'm assuming you are referencing S3Ep2 Shadow Realms (which I did see). I haven't seen Ep 3 yet.

For my previous posts, I missed that we were talking about a specific episode. I was more talking about The Orville in general. They've shown a few contentious issues over their 2.x season run and I thought mostly did a good job showing multiple sides of the issue at hand.

I'd be more than happy to discuss the Ep2 issue, though I don't know that this is the correct thread. To reference why I jumped in this thread, it was to reference what I enjoyed about the Orville to contrast that with what I've seen in some of the newer Star Trek shows, so as to tie it to this thread.
    Last edited by Ragedaug; 2022-06-17 at 04:50 PM.

"Take the time to sit down and talk with your adversaries. You will learn something, and they will learn something from you. When two enemies are talking, they are not fighting. It's when the talking ceases that the ground becomes fertile for violence. So keep the conversation going."
    ~ Daryl Davis

10+ Year Old Account
    Seriously, what the fuck are you talking about?

They literally made up his background [i]with this season of the show[/i.
    And its perfectly fine the way it is. It doesn't need to be anything else. You arguing its boring is feedback for these 30 producers and 20 writers and since they have no ability to think for themselves they will react instantly with more violence and more edge. No more king fu kicks.

Quote Originally Posted by Glorious Leader View Post
    And its perfectly fine the way it is. It doesn't need to be anything else. You arguing its boring is feedback for these 30 producers and 20 writers and since they have no ability to think for themselves they will react instantly with more violence and more edge. No more king fu kicks.
    I didn't say it was boring, I said it was lame because it was a direct copy of an existing character in the same exact position of the exact same ship of the show from a previous series. That is fucking lame. "Here's our new featured character! We gave him the exact same backstory as our previous character! Yay!"

I don't care what bizarre universe you live in where you're reading anything other than that, but that universe can fuck right off.

10+ Year Old Account
    I didn't say it was boring, I said it was lame because it was a direct copy of an existing character in the same exact position of the exact same ship of the show from a previous series. That is fucking lame. "Here's our new featured character! We gave him the exact same backstory as our previous character! Yay!"

I don't care what bizarre universe you live in where you're reading anything other than that, but that universe can fuck right off.
    No see its not lame its actually perfect because it's a call back. Whats lame is Michael Burnham See the geniuses who produce and write these shows really fucking suck for the most part. The one pleasant surprise has been strange new worlds and thats mostly because they just copied the original series. Asking to change things with these guys at the helm is bad news bears. Nope. Keep it classic.
    Last edited by Glorious Leader; 2022-06-17 at 08:19 PM.

Man, I hope next season they introduce Sproq, a half-Vulcan half-Human science officer who's father is another ambassador for Vulcan. Here's hoping he had a pet sehlat, and two siblings (one adopted sister from Earth, one half-brother who forsook logic) we'll never hear of until their introduced in future series and/or movies. IT'S GONNA BE RAD AND AWESOME, YO.

Maybe they can also introduce McBride--nicknamed Skeletons--who's a grumpy old country doctor that doesn't like transporters, too. He'll have fabulous hair, though, and played by an actor with more modern sensibilities and training, so he'll be nothing like McCoy.

That's the original programming I'm looking for! It just doesn't get better than cool, new characters like that. No sir.
    Last edited by Infinity Cubed; 2022-06-17 at 08:35 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Man, I hope next season they introduce Sproq, a half-Vulcan half-Human science officer who's father is another ambassador for Vulcan. Here's hoping he had a pet sehlat, and two siblings (one adopted sister from Earth, one half-brother who forsook logic) we'll never hear of until their introduced in future series and/or movies. IT'S GONNA BE RAD AND AWESOME, YO.

Maybe they can also introduce McBride--nicknamed Skeletons--who's a grumpy old country doctor that doesn't like transporters, too.

That's the original programming I'm looking for! It just doesn't get better than cool, new characters like that. No sir.
    Sarcastic stupidity aside they've already hired a kirk actor for season 2 and yea it makes sense we would see a Mccoy maybe even still married?

Sarcastic stupidity aside they've already hired a kirk actor for season 2
    No shit.

But they didn't hire someone to play Stirke, an up-and-coming hotshot officer in Starfleet who beat the Kobiachy Mabu test by cheating, is a horse rancher from Colorado, and a lady's man of the highest order. He'll be taking the place of Pike before Kirk (though we'll never hear about it because it was rendered Top Secret), and he'll be a super cool and original new character. Because no one who captains the NCC-1701 Enterprise is allowed to have any other background whatsoever, else they apparently become drug-addicted psychopaths who ruin the entire franchise, or whatever BS you were spewing earlier. You know, just like Picard was since he wasn't a fucking horse rancher from the Midwest.

10+ Year Old Account
    else they apparently become drug-addicted psychopaths .
    the proof remains in the pudding thats exactly how they write characters in nu trek

the proof remains in the pudding thats exactly how they write characters in nu trek
    Yeah, it's totally true. I mean, just look at Ortegas. She's totally a drug-addled psycho. And Hemmer? Same. George Kirk (who, while he existed, had little more than zero information on him other than being Kirk's older brother)? Holy crud, what a sicko.

My bad, you were right all along.

Truth for everyone except Pike. You know, solely because he's a rancher from Wyoming who likes his horsies. Because if he had been a hard-working farmer from Nebraska instead, his entire character would have been changed and he'd be a brooding, murderous killer of the worst type.

Unlike all the characters in The Orville who are super awesome good people with no flaws at all, what with absolutely none of them being Midwest ranchers. (That was the implication, right?)
    Last edited by Infinity Cubed; 2022-06-17 at 09:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by everydaygamer View Post
    I kept thinking how Pike sounds very similar to Seth McFarlane's character in the Orville and I was curious if that was intentional. Like is that just how Star Trek captains normally talk in these shows?

It's hard to explain so I'm not sure how clear I'm being.
    There's a certain theatricality to how actors in Star Trek speak, especially Captains. It's woven into the DNA of the series and each series has what's been described in interviews with the teams as a 'heightened reality'. Orville, being a spiritual successor, emulates that in their performances, which is part of why it 'feels' so much like Star Trek, despite being its own thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, it's totally true. .

)
    It is. I submit Rafi mussikar as evidence A. Characters who vape. Or capt rios addicted to alcohol. So hip and edgy. SNW avoids all this crap by sticking to the classic formula so yea its really no fucking problem that he rides horses because the alternative from kurtzman orczi et all would be that he was drug addled or a kung fu android

It is. I submit Rafi mussikar as evidence A. Characters who vape. Or capt rios addicted to alcohol. So hip and edgy. SNW avoids all this crap by sticking to the classic formula so yea its really no fucking problem that he rides horses because the alternative from kurtzman orczi et all would be that he was drug addled or a kung fu android
    It's a good thing I was only talking about SNW then, huh?

10+ Year Old Account
    It's a good thing I was only talking about SNW then, huh?
    Unfortunately its the SAME people making both and clearly when given creative liscene they fucking suck. So no pike stays on the horse and its fine.

Unfortunately its the SAME people making both and clearly when given creative liscene they fucking suck. So no pike stays on the horse and its fine.
    Again--and I can't stress that word enough: AGAIN--they made up Pike's fucking background on this show. 100%, brand new material, that they themselves created, along with his characterization. His background could have literally been anything else and absolutely fucking nothing would have been changed about his portrayal on the show, other than one scene in the first episode where his background was showcased. For whatever idiotic reason, however, they chose to clone Kirk's background for no real reason whatsoever. He could have been a farmer, a miner, an artisan, anything really, and he'd be the same god damned fucking character on the show. Because--YET AGAIN--the SAME FUCKING PEOPLE created the characterization, too.

Jesus Christ, dude.
    Last edited by Infinity Cubed; 2022-06-17 at 11:09 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    For whatever idiotic reason, however, they chose to clone Kirk's background for no real reason whatsoever. .
    Yea thats not them making anything up as you said yourself its literally just cloning what coon and Roddenberry did in the 60s. So no they didn't actually make pikes story up right on the spot they literally just cloned Kirk's and he for the most part is a rather affable and charming copy pasta of kirk... and thats perfect. Don't give them any ideas to do anything original because they fucking suck at that.

Sincere question, is English a second language for you?

Infracted.
    Last edited by eschatological; 2022-06-17 at 11:58 PM.

what a fantastic episode, you could really tell the cast all loved it and are a talented group of actors (maybe not spock) . perhaps my favourite episode so far.

there was a slip up when pike had a knife i thought, quite a glaring one but yeah a great episode

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by molliewoof View Post
    what a fantastic episode, you could really tell the cast all loved it and are a talented group of actors (maybe not spock) . perhaps my favourite episode so far.

there was a slip up when pike had a knife i thought, quite a glaring one but yeah a great episode

I cried like a bitch that was fucking brilliant. Seriously. CLASSIC trek adventures. Like they could have went and turned the whoel ship into this CGI monstrosity put em all in a fucking green screen but instead they just decorated the actual set with like medieval stuff over top of the computer stuff. CLASSIC trek. The entire ending with the daughter damn....

The helmsman is really starting to grow on me. Wasn't sure at first, but I'm enjoying her snark.

Hope she gets her own episode here this season.

I cried like a bitch that was fucking brilliant. Seriously. CLASSIC trek adventures. Like they could have went and turned the whoel ship into this CGI monstrosity put em all in a fucking green screen but instead they just decorated the actual set with like medieval stuff over top of the computer stuff. CLASSIC trek. The entire ending with the daughter damn....
    ha yeah i hadnt thought about that with the set, even better.

just really enjoyable-

minor spoiler

i really liked the part with the daughter but ive thought about t a little and might have liked the doctor to have solved it, thats the second time his skills have been overlooked this season

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ashana Darkmoon View Post
    The helmsman is really starting to grow on me. Wasn't sure at first, but I'm enjoying her snark.

Hope she gets her own episode here this season.
    agreed, her and chappel feel like the heart of the crew, also uhura was really allowed to shine this episode.

i said this in an earlier post but ill say it again i wish we had the old style twenty episodes or at least more so we could fit them all in, i cant think of another series i wish this for even like early GOT or the boys