the new post Advent Children Sephiroth wants Aerith to live, because without her the lifestream won't intervene to stop Meteor. Him killing her in the original FF7 is what ultimately led to his defeat. So while Aerith may initially live beyond her previous death, in the end she will likely need to sacrifice herself to stop Meteor.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Quote Originally Posted by Xilurm View Post
    Nah. Millions of people like his storytelling. KH is one of Square's best selling franchises and it has lasted this long for a reason.
    Just because people like Kingdom Hearts doesn't mean they like the broad story. People like the aesthetics and gameplay. The story is a complete cluserfuck that the vast majority of players never understand and laugh off.

He isn't in charge of the story.
    He's the director of the game.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by kenn9530 View Post
    Some ppl have no taste like yourself when it comes to games, FF 7 remake is great and if they want to spin the story a different way they are free to do what they want, you are the one being disrespectful.

A remake is remaking the game not doing a 1 for one exact story for the origional game, if you dont like it then dont play it.
    It's a remake when it is convenient for your argument and it is a sequel when it is convenient for your argument.

There is a reasonable middle ground between "1:1 remake" and "What if we replaced the story with all kinds of time travel and multiple timeline fuckery where you fight the god of fate at the beginning of the story?"

The Resident Evil 2 and 3 remakes took huge liberties with the source material, especially 3. They were both unbelievable games that paid tribute to and respected the source material. FF7R is an excuse for a bunch of writers to slap themselves on the back for being "clever" and coming up with absurd, outlandish, and ridiculous plot twists and contrivances. It is the worst kind of writing. Nothing they added in the department of timelines and fate horseshit does a single fucking thing to make a character more interesting or more developed. It's all meaningless garbage that adds nothing except a way for people who pride themselves on being "clever" to pretend that plot twists are what make storytelling good.
    "stop puting you idiotic liberal words into my mouth"
    -ynnady

Quote Originally Posted by NineSpine View Post
    Just because people like Kingdom Hearts doesn't mean they like the broad story. People like the aesthetics and gameplay. The story is a complete cluserfuck that the vast majority of players never understand and laugh off.

He's the director of the game.
    Most KH players actually do like the story. There was a poll done asking players what they liked most, and story was the most highly-rated answer.

Nomura is the director of FFVII, but ironically he's the one who pushed for keeping the first entry of the remake closer to the original. The other, original FF7 writers wanted to deviate more than Nomura was comfortable with.

https://gamingbolt.com/final-fantasy...original-story

Quote Originally Posted by Soeroah View Post
    Most KH players actually do like the story. There was a poll done asking players what they liked most, and story was the most highly-rated answer.

Nomura is the director of FFVII, but ironically he's the one who pushed for keeping the first entry of the remake closer to the original. The other, original FF7 writers wanted to deviate more than Nomura was comfortable with.

Most KH players aren't taking polls about the game. Get real.
    -ynnady

Most KH players aren't taking polls about the game. Get real.
    Still a more scientific metric than your making a broad statement with nothing backing it up.

I wish nomura would have gotten his way, I was hoping for a faithful, but more fleshed out, true remake.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Hard to disrespect something that was a joke of a story to begin with and is only now being fleshed out.
    I'm not a gigantic fan of the original FF7. It's one of the reasons I was hoping to see it updated and fleshed out, rather than turned into an excuse for contrived plot twists.

Oh found the guy still mad about Raiden being the main character in MGS2 cause it was false advertising instead of enjoying it for being one of the best swerves in industry history.
    MGS2 is amazing. I'm not sure what you are rambling about.

Keeping things secret is a good thing, having your entire game spoiled by marketing just so you can't get on your soap box and cry about "false advertising" doesn't change this fact. Everything they showed in the marketing was in the game, they didn't false advertise anything sorry you got mad about nothing.
    You guys do it over and over again. It's a remake when it is convenient for your arguments and it is a sequel when it is convenient for your arguments. I'm not surprised by the dishonesty at this point, since you are basically arguing that dishonesty deserves to be rewarded.

Literally every story Nomura has ever produced outside of FFVII is better than original FFVII, and he has produced some complete stinkers so... Sorry not sorry. Bonus points to the fact you clearly don't even know FFVII was co written by Nomura and Sakaguchi in the first place since you think he is "disrespecting" his own source material lmfao.
    Nomura was not a co-writer on FF7. He was a scenario writer who had some input on the story sure, but pretending he was jointly one of the primary writers is just a lie.

- - - Updated - - -

Still a more scientific metric than your making a broad statement with nothing backing it up.
    It's not scientific. At all. It is literally saying "Well the most hardcore fans like it!" Wow, no shit!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    I wish nomura would have gotten his way, I was hoping for a faithful, but more fleshed out, true remake.
    I think you guys are wildly misreading that story. There is no indication that he didn't want the horseshit in the game. He just wanted to make sure other things were kept in too.
    -ynnady

A lot of people actually DO like the story. Saying it ain't so doesn't make it true just because you got some weird hate boner.

It's not scientific. At all. It is literally saying "Well the most hardcore fans like it!" Wow, no shit!
    And newer players. Honestly, the most people I've seen talking trash about the story are people who either don't like JRPGs or anime tropes, or the long-time players who had to wait a year between releases across multiple consoles. I haven't seen many people who don't care about the story but still enjoy the gameplay since the games came to PC.

In fact a lot of the newer streamers who enjoy the story entirely skip a couple of the games and just watch the cutscenes so they can see the important stuff without having to play a game they don't enjoy playing.
    Last edited by Soeroah; 2022-06-18 at 06:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xilurm View Post
    A lot of people actually DO like the story. Saying it ain't so doesn't make it true just because you got some weird hate boner.
    I didn't say nobody likes it. I'm sure thousands and thousands and thousands of people do, but it is a fact that the story requires hours of research to even make a fraction of sense out of it and the vast majority of people are not doing that.
    -ynnady

There is a reasonable middle ground between "1:1 remake" and "What if we replaced the story with all kinds of time travel and multiple timeline fuckery where you fight the god of fate at the beginning of the story?"
    Multiple timelines existed in the VII universe since at least 12 years before VII Remake even came out, even then it might of been planned for even longer than that but only became clear and obvious with advent children.

If Nomura really wanted to go full rogue and do his full blown BS he would fully connect VII to Versus XIII since they are already clearly connected with the meteor and diamond weapon existing in both worlds(and probably a hell of a lot more that got cut in it's transition to XV). That ain't gonna happen though, so acting like he has full control over the story is laughable.

He won't believe you. Look at his response to the information about Nomura and FF7. "There's no indication he didn't want that horseshit in the game". There's more indication of that than there is that he did want it, but that doesn't matter because he's already decided Nomura Bad and it's all his fault. Facts don't matter, only his conclusion and whatever supports it.
    The indication is that all of the garbage they added is remarkably similar to the garbage that made KH a mess.

Not everything they added is garbage. The extra Jesse stuff is phenomenol, but the bad stuff is right in Nomura's wheelhouse.
    -ynnady

I didn't say nobody likes it. I'm sure thousands and thousands and thousands of people do, but it is a fact that the story requires hours of research to even make a fraction of sense out of it and the vast majority of people are not doing that.
    TBH I've watched a few streamers play through the series for the first time since the PC ports came out and they've been able to follow it fairly well just playing the games and reading the in-game journal entries.

I think people overblow how difficult it is because of the time between releases. If you marathon the games one after the other so things are fresher in your mind, it lines up a lot easier and makes sense. Not perfect sense, because there are a few things that are convoluted, but a hell of a lot more sense than the meme critiques suggest.

It's, perhaps ironically, the kind of story that's more difficult to follow if you try to reason things about before the games are ready to tell you than if you just play through it and let it tell you what you need when you need it.

Multiple timelines existed in the VII universe since at least 12 years before VII Remake even came out, even then it might of been planned for even longer than that but only became clear and obvious with advent children.

If Nomura really wanted to go full rogue and do his full blown BS he would fully connect VII to Versus XIII since they are already clearly connected with the meteor and diamond weapon existing in both worlds(and probably a hell of a lot more that got cut in it's transition to XV). That ain't gonna happen though, so acting like he has full control over the story is laughable.
    When its convenient, its a remake. When it's convenient, it's a sequel. When it's convenient, Nomura is in charge. When it's convenient, Nomura isn't in charge.
    -ynnady

Nomura was not a co-writer on FF7. He was a scenario writer who had some input on the story sure, but pretending he was jointly one of the primary writers is just a lie..
    Nomura and Sakaguchi are both credited with "original story" on FFVII. He is not credited as a "scenario writer". Nobody is going to take you serious if you can't even get your facts straight. https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/ps/197...irou%20Okamoto

How about someone just tells me which character's story arc was improved by the added timeline garbage? Prove me wrong. Show me the strength of these changes in the storytelling. Remember, I didn't say to tell me how you are easily impressed by timeline plot twists and contrived meta commentary. I asked how it made a character's STORY ARC better.
    -ynnady

When its convenient, its a remake. When it's convenient, it's a sequel. When it's convenient, Nomura is in charge. When it's convenient, Nomura isn't in charge.
    When it's convenient Nomura is just a "scenario writer" even though no one is credited as such in the official credits.

Nomura and Sakaguchi are both credited with "original story" on FFVII. He is not credited as a "scenario writer". Nobody is going to take you serious if you can't even get your facts straight. https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/ps/197...irou%20Okamoto
    I went with what is on the final fantasy wiki.
    -ynnady

I went with what is on the final fantasy wiki.
    https://finalfantasy.fandom.com/wiki...sy_VII_credits

Based on the Story By
    Hironobu Sakaguchi
    Tetsuya Nomura

This one?

Oh man conveniently you didn't scroll that far I guess? Also isn't a "scenario writer" on that page either lol.

All this talk of its a remakes or sequel or whatever and whether someone was or wasn't super involved in the writing is missing the biggest issue. They better have the snowboard and submarine mini game at the gold saucer.