Let's build me a PC with an RTX 3060 or better!

We'll say the budget is $1,000....even though it'll probably wind up a little more. (Hard cap at $1,500.)

I think the thing I'm most decided on is a RTX 3060 (Ti?). No more than $500 for the graphics card, I'm not that much a videophile. But my current rig is 5 years old, I'm doing ok on money with a new job and a cheaper living situation, crypto is crashing, and it's time.

I'm willing to do eVGA or Gigabyte for the manufacturer, might consider others, but not MSI.

I've had no problems with my intel processor so I'll go with them again as well.

I like a huge case, a big ol' heatsink, and I'm gonna get a decent SSD and hard drive as well.

Will probably want a new monitor too.

I do not overclock.

Also...what games am I gonna play on this bad boy?
    Raid bosses will always be very similar so long as encounter design requires DPS to always be pumping 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by garicasha View Post
    We'll say the budget is $1,000....even though it'll probably wind up a little more. (Hard cap at $1,500.)

I think the thing I'm most decided on is a RTX 3060 (Ti?). No more than $500 for the graphics card, I'm not that much a videophile. But my current rig is 5 years old, I'm doing ok on money with a new job and a cheaper living situation, crypto is crashing, and it's time.

I'm willing to do eVGA or Gigabyte for the manufacturer, might consider others, but not MSI.

I've had no problems with my intel processor so I'll go with them again as well.

I like a huge case, a big ol' heatsink, and I'm gonna get a decent SSD and hard drive as well.

Will probably want a new monitor too.

I do not overclock.

Also...what games am I gonna play on this bad boy?
    This is a bit over your $1K budget, but you can always swap out the ssd or add more ram. I think this is about where you want to be: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/PzsnGL

About 200$ over your base 1,000$ budget.

I think it's worth the extra spend, if only for the extra longevity and flexibility the E-cores in the 12600K get you.

Yes, its a B series motherboard, so you cant overclock the CPU - but honestly you really dont need to. Provided it has the cooling headroom (which it will with the BeQuiet cooler or another cooler like the Hyper 212 or a Noctua in the same range), it will boost over 5ghz on two cores, and all-core turbo at 4.8ghz. You're unlikely to do better than that with a manual OC anyway unless you spend a lot of time tinkering with things. You CAN still OC the ram (I.E. use it at its rated 3200mhz) on B660.

The main advantge of this over the 12400F is that it has 4 additional E-cores (efficiency cores) and MUCH higher base and boost clocks. The E-cores in particular are great for handling background tasks, VOIP programs, etc, thus leaving all 6 P-cores to handle your games and other heavy lifting.

If you're sticking to 1080p/60, then you could easily get away with dropping to a vanilla 3060; the main benefit the 3060Ti might get you over the 3060 is another year or so before you'd have to upgrade, or if you want to maybe jump to 1440p in the future, it can handle 1440p/60 fairly OK.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/mpLwqm

CPU: Intel Core i5-12600KF 3.7 GHz 10-Core Processor ($259.99 @ Newegg)
    CPU Cooler: be quiet! Pure Rock 2 Black CPU Cooler ($44.90 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: ASRock B660M Pro RS Micro ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($119.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: TEAMGROUP T-FORCE VULCAN Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($49.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Acer Predator GM3500 512 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($64.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti LHR 8 GB XC GAMING Video Card ($497.99 @ EVGA)
    Case: Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($69.98 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA GA 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($75.76 @ Amazon)
    Total: $1183.59
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-06-15 18:23 EDT-0400
    Last edited by Kagthul; 2022-06-16 at 03:56 AM.

Ok I absolutely used everyone's feedback but it turns out I had some requirements I discovered in the process of picking out components.

First, I want 64 GB of RAM for WoW and for a poker program.

Second, I want a big ol' SSD drive because WoW takes so much space and this 256 GB is barely enough to hold Windows and WoW.

Third, I need a regular hard drive because I record each pull, and I like to store a ton of video so that's a big one.

I'm having a hard time pulling the trigger on a graphics card north of $500. Not that the $400 one is "cheap". But the ti version does get in to ray tracing...

I am interested in the 12600kf chip but the cost is getting north of $1500 which I was trying to avoid, this is $100 cheaper. I also kinda wanted to do DDR5 but that also seems to be swelling the cost.

So here's what I came up with, there's probably some silliness in the cooler and the power supply but let me know to what degree.

Also I currently have the 3060 card that is at a 1700 clock speed, the 1882 one is $30 more, dunno how much a difference that makes.

I didn't build it on part picker but on newegg, but I think I selected most the right components:
    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/tbVL78

From Newegg, which is what I actually picked:
    $170 Intel Core i5-12400F - Core i5 12th Gen Alder Lake 6-Core 2.5 GHz LGA 1700 65W Desktop Processor - BX8071512400F

$180 ASRock Z690 Pro RS LGA 1700 Intel Z690 SATA 6Gb/s DDR4 ATX Intel Motherboard

$400 EVGA GeForce RTX 3060 XC BLACK GAMING, 12G-P5-3655-KR, 12GB GDDR6, Dual-Fan

$100 EVGA 750 BQ 110-BQ-0750-V1 80+ BRONZE 750W Semi Modular Includes FREE Power On Self Tester Power Supply

$150 WD Black 4TB Performance Desktop Hard Disk Drive - 7200 RPM SATA 6Gb/s 256MB Cache 3.5 Inch - WD4005FZBX

$100 Noctua NH-D15, Premium CPU Cooler with 2x NF-A15 PWM 140mm Fans (Brown)

$110 SAMSUNG 980 M.2 2280 1TB PCI-Express 3.0 x4, NVMe 1.4 V-NAND MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-V8V1T0B/AM

$120 LIAN LI LANCOOL II MESH C PERFORMANCE BLACK Tempered Glass ATX Case -Black Color ,Type C Included-LIAN LI LANCOOL II MESH C PERFORMANCE -X

$228 G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 64GB (2 x 32GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR4 3600 (PC4 28800) Intel XMP 2.0 Desktop Memory Model F4-3600C18D-64GVK

There's a difference in the price on newegg and partspicker for the SSD drive, the one I'm actually buying is only $107.

Questions remaining:
    is the RAM, Motherboard, CPU, and heat sink all compatible?
    How much overkill are the case, heatsink, and PSU?
    What are my USB 3.0 (is that USB-C?) needs?
    What stats am I looking for on a hard drive? (I just did the really highly rated ones.)

If I could find similar RAM that doesn't ship from China that'd be great.
    Raid bosses will always be very similar so long as encounter design requires DPS to always be pumping 100%.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ok I absolutely used everyone's feedback but it turns out I had some requirements I discovered in the process of picking out components.

I'm very curious about this part. You don't need that much RAM for WoW, unless you plan on running it from a ramdisk or something (and then it's not enough). What poker program?

As for the list: I wouldn't get a Z690 series board unless you're getting a K-sku CPU, it doesn't offer enough to be a worthwhile upgrade. The rest seems to be fine
    The heatsink is hilariously overkill for your CPU, but that also means it'll be nice and quiet
    We don't know what your USB 3 needs are. What do you usually plug into your computer? USB 3 is not the same as USB-C. USB 3 is basically just a speed standard at this point. USB-C is a connector. (Also tehcnically USB 3.0 is dead terminology, nowadays it's called USB 3.2 gen 1, with the old USB 3.1 speed being USB 3.2 gen 2, and USB 3.2 being called USB 3.2x2, yes it's stupid, no I don't make the rules, no you don't have to care)
    For hard drives you only really care about price per GB, total capacity, and how likely it is to fail. The speed is mostly irrelevant anyway

15+ Year Old Account
    I would wait for the 4000 series that will be released in a couple of months.
    Otherwise you can always get a (cheaper) 3000 series.
    That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange Aeons even Death may die.

Quote Originally Posted by Azerox View Post
    I would wait for the 4000 series that will be released in a couple of months.
    Otherwise you can always get a (cheaper) 3000 series.
    If the rumors are true that we are about to see a performance jump akin to 980ti -> 1080ti across the product stack for both sides this fall. Then everything we have is worthless on 2nd hand market. In which case yes getting a 3000 series then is the best option for absolute cheapest deal.

Then again we don't know what will happen. Price inflation hasn't hit electronics yet as hard, so I'd expect it to happen at some point as well. And I fully expect RTX 4000 series mid range cost go up by $100-$200 on MSRP.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenthump View Post
    If the rumors are true that we are about to see a performance jump akin to 980ti -> 1080ti across the product stack for both sides this fall. Then everything we have is worthless on 2nd hand market. In which case yes getting a 3000 series then is the best option for absolute cheapest deal.

Then again we don't know what will happen. Price inflation hasn't hit electronics yet as hard, so I'd expect it to happen at some point as well. And I fully expect RTX 4000 series mid range cost go up by $100-$200 on MSRP.
    It's kinda sad honestly, that performance per dollar seems to have been fairly steady since the 900-1000 series

Second, I want a big ol' SSD drive because WoW takes so much space and this 256 GB is barely enough to hold Windows and WoW.
    ... you might want to clean up your WoW install then. Like, just get your mods and settings files out and then delete the whole thing and re-install. My WoW install is barely 80GB. Windows takes up all of 11 or 12 GB. Not that you should stick with a small SSD, just saying... that aint a typical WoW installation if thats all you've got on your drive + OS and you're full.

Third, I need a regular hard drive because I record each pull, and I like to store a ton of video so that's a big one.

I'm having a hard time pulling the trigger on a graphics card north of $500. Not that the $400 one is "cheap". But the ti version does get in to ray tracing...
    Anything with RTX in the name can do Ray Tracing. Thtas why its 'RTX" vs the old GTX. However, nothing below the 3070 really performs well doing RT (the performance hit is pretty substantial). But you also get access to DLSS, which is basically free frames.

I am interested in the 12600kf chip but the cost is getting north of $1500 which I was trying to avoid, this is $100 cheaper. I also kinda wanted to do DDR5 but that also seems to be swelling the cost.

So here's what I came up with, there's probably some silliness in the cooler and the power supply but let me know to what degree.

Also I currently have the 3060 card that is at a 1700 clock speed, the 1882 one is $30 more, dunno how much a difference that makes.
    Basiclaly none. Both cards will run at the highest clock they can within their thermal envelope. I.E. as long as the card doesnt get too hot, itll run as fast as it can. My 3080's rated clock is like 1650 or something, but it runs at close to 2ghz at all times. It would take... MASSIVE overheating in your case (like, a true hotbox of some kind) for EITHER card to throttle down near their base clocks.

I didn't build it on part picker but on newegg, but I think I selected most the right components:
    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/tbVL78
    Building it from just one site is a great way to overspend for no reason. Dont do that.

From Newegg, which is what I actually picked:
    $170 Intel Core i5-12400F - Core i5 12th Gen Alder Lake 6-Core 2.5 GHz LGA 1700 65W Desktop Processor - BX8071512400F

$180 ASRock Z690 Pro RS LGA 1700 Intel Z690 SATA 6Gb/s DDR4 ATX Intel Motherboard
    So you downgraded the CPU but went massively overkill on the Motherboard..... why? Particularly since the Z690 offers literally nothing if you're not using a K-SKU overclockable part or you're building a workstation-class rig (because it has more onboard I/O).

$400 EVGA GeForce RTX 3060 XC BLACK GAMING, 12G-P5-3655-KR, 12GB GDDR6, Dual-Fan

$100 EVGA 750 BQ 110-BQ-0750-V1 80+ BRONZE 750W Semi Modular Includes FREE Power On Self Tester Power Supply
    Or you could save 30$ for the Gold rated, higher-quality PSU i linked above.

$150 WD Black 4TB Performance Desktop Hard Disk Drive - 7200 RPM SATA 6Gb/s 256MB Cache 3.5 Inch - WD4005FZBX
    Why WD Black vs WD Blue? For this price, you could buy one of these: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/wd-easy...?skuId=6425302

And rip it out of the enclosure (FWIW, they are also relabeled WD Red NAS drives, and are ironically cheaper to buy this way than bare WD Reds).

or you can go with the perfectly reasonable WD Blue, which is 65$ for 4TB.

$100 Noctua NH-D15, Premium CPU Cooler with 2x NF-A15 PWM 140mm Fans (Brown)
    Why in gods name did you get an NH-D15? Thats insane for an i5. CUtting this back to the BeQuiet! i linked (or the Coolermaster Hyper 212, or the Noctua NH-U12S redux - FWIW, PCPartpicker says the U12S redux is 1mm too tall for the case - but itll probably fit). For the cost of the overspend here on the cooler and the motherboard... you could have kept the 12600K and a cheaper cooler. I mean, for the 12400F.. you could just use the cooler included in the box. Its perfectly adequate.

$110 SAMSUNG 980 M.2 2280 1TB PCI-Express 3.0 x4, NVMe 1.4 V-NAND MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-V8V1T0B/AM
    Price here seems fine. You could save 20$ by going with an HP model, but this isnt a huge overspend or anything.

$120 LIAN LI LANCOOL II MESH C PERFORMANCE BLACK Tempered Glass ATX Case -Black Color ,Type C Included-LIAN LI LANCOOL II MESH C PERFORMANCE -X
    I mean, if its the case you want, then get it. If you're trying to push your budget and get the most for your money, however, this is 60$ of overspend. The case i linked above is quite spacious and has great airflow. And its 55-65$. But, again, its your computer and you're the one who has to look at it all the time. So if you like the Lian Li, then you do you, man. Its just not the best choice if you're squeezing the blood out of your money.

$228 G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 64GB (2 x 32GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR4 3600 (PC4 28800) Intel XMP 2.0 Desktop Memory Model F4-3600C18D-64GVK
    Why in the devil are you getting 64GB of RAM? There is no gaming you can do that will benefit from or require that kind of memory. WoW doesnt even use all or even most of 16GB of RAM. I cant imagine any poker game needing more than 1-2 GB of system memory. This is a HUGE waste of money. Unless you're trying to multibox like 30 accounts or something... this is completey pointless and easily 4x the amount you need to spend on RAM. (LTT just released a video like... today i think where they went over the "is 8GB of RAM enough" issue in 2022; turns out, even most AAA games run just fine with 8GB as long as it is dual-channel (Two Sticks), fast speeds, and low latency. You cant do much ELSE in the background, but they were suggesting that you go with 8GB - just showing that it can still work, and that 16GB is MORE than enough. The only reason youd really need 32GB or higher is if you do production work.

There's a difference in the price on newegg and partspicker for the SSD drive, the one I'm actually buying is only $107.

Questions remaining:
    is the RAM, Motherboard, CPU, and heat sink all compatible?
    How much overkill are the case, heatsink, and PSU?
    What are my USB 3.0 (is that USB-C?) needs?
    What stats am I looking for on a hard drive? (I just did the really highly rated ones.)

If I could find similar RAM that doesn't ship from China that'd be great.
    Here, i went back, upped the SSD to 1TB, added a 4TB HDD for you, and went with 32GB of RAM, which is STILL massive overkill for any gaming and daily driving rig...

And its still ~200$ below 1500.... WITH the 3060Ti and 12600K; Or you can knock off 100$ and stick with the 3060.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/pYKkwc

Motherboard: ASRock B660M Pro RS Micro ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($119.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: TEAMGROUP T-Create Classic 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL22 Memory ($90.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Acer Predator GM3500 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($101.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Western Digital Blue 4 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti LHR 8 GB XC GAMING Video Card ($497.99 @ EVGA)
    Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA GA 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($74.98 @ Amazon)
    Total: $1320.80
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-06-17 04:29 EDT-0400
    Or with the 3060 instead:

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/yhw8H2

Memory: TEAMGROUP T-Create Classic 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL22 Memory ($90.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Acer Predator GM3500 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($101.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Western Digital Blue 4 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 12 GB EAGLE OC Rev 2.0 Video Card ($399.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA GA 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($74.98 @ Amazon)
    Total: $1222.80
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-06-17 04:31 EDT-0400
    Oh, also, if you're truly worried about WoW performance - faster single core performance on your CPU is by FAR the most important spec, which is another point in the 12600K over the 12400. Its two-core boost clocks are 400mhz higher than the 12400.

Also, and i should have asked this in my first post...

Do you live near a Micro Center ("near" being "a distance you are willing to drive to save a decent bit of money" - which, given the rising prices of gas might mean, not very far at all). If so, you can probably save at least 60$ because they offer below-MSRP pricing on CPUs and motherboards to get people into the store (but in-store only, online you pay full freight), as well as an additional 20$ off if you buy a CPU and MoBo together. And you can usually land a free 256GB SSD (always handy to have around).

For ex: my local store has the 12600K (not the iGPU-less KF) for 249$, and you can get a motherboard similar to the one i used (Gigabyte vs ASRock, but similar features, ports, etc) for 109$.... and then an additional 20$ off.

Since you record video, the iGPU in the regular K SKU could come in handy because you can use the iGPU to record the video with QuickSync.
    Last edited by Kagthul; 2022-06-17 at 09:00 AM.

Ok you saved me a couple hundred dollars.

eVGA RTX 3060Ti ordered from eVGA
    $120 (with tax) SSD ordered
    $140 (with tax) HD ordered
    $45 CoolerMaster 212 ordered
    $0 Mounting kit for NH-D15 ordered, I plan to take it off this PC and put it on the new one and put the coolermaster on the old one
    $75 eVGA 220-GA-0750-X1 Super Nova 80 plus gold 750W Fully modular

One final check before pulling the trigger on the following components:
    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Dz4JnQ

Edit: Nope $52 Cougar MX-330G Mid-Tower Case...I might use this for the old PC and the huge case for the new one

Edit: Nope $120 ASRock B660M PRO RS LGA 1700 Intel B660 SATA 6Gb/s DDR4 Micro ATX Motherboard

$260 Intel Core i5-12600KF - Core i5 12th Gen Alder Lake 10-Core (6P+4E) 3.7 GHz LGA 1700 125W Desktop Processor - BX8071512600KF

- - - Updated - - -

Turns out that case wasn't gonna work and the Z690 is a better match for that processor I guess, so now:

I went to the "completed builds" thing in pc part picker and that helped me visualize a little more.

I ordered a Corsair 4000D case which has tons of good ratings, and there are completed builds with both of my coolers in there, and similar / larger graphics cards.

So now I'm down to the ASRock Z690 Pro RS LGA 1700 Intel Z690 SATA 6Gb/s DDR4 ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Core i5-12600KF - Core i5 12th Gen Alder Lake 10-Core (6P+4E) 3.7 GHz LGA 1700 125W Desktop Processor - BX8071512600KF

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 64GB (2 x 32GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR4 3600 (PC4 28800) Intel XMP 2.0 Desktop Memory Model F4-3600C18D-64GVK

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/yN6dFg

May I ask why you think you need 64 gb of ram for wow?

That is insanely high

It's high time I got myself a new PC as well, prices be damned I've waited long enough... current PC's from late 2013 and has issues booting up sometimes.

Do not buy an Asrock Z690 motherboard. They are bad. Buy Asus, MSI or Gigabyte.

$140 (with tax) HD ordered
    .... why? You basically just threw 80$ in the trash for no reason. Edit*: Unless you meant you ordered the WD Easystore 8TB external to rip out the drive. Then, that's fine.

Edit: Nope $120 ASRock B660M PRO RS LGA 1700 Intel B660 SATA 6Gb/s DDR4 Micro ATX Motherboard

$260 Intel Core i5-12600KF - Core i5 12th Gen Alder Lake 10-Core (6P+4E) 3.7 GHz LGA 1700 125W Desktop Processor - BX8071512600KF

Turns out that case wasn't gonna work and the Z690 is a better match for that processor I guess, so now:
    ... it is only "better" if you are going to manually overclock. If you aren't its pointless.

And, FFS, WHY are you so insistent on 64GB of RAM?

It. Will. Not. Increase. Your. Performance. In. Games.

At all. Zero much.

Nadda.

Its basically throwing money in the garbage.

There are NO games that require that kind of RAM. Most dont even gain a ton of benefit from going from 8GB to 16GB. LTT literally just did a video about it.
    Last edited by Kagthul; 2022-06-19 at 04:45 AM.

Aight thank y'all for the help, it's on the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    .... why? You basically just threw 80$ in the trash for no reason. Edit*: Unless you meant you ordered the WD Easystore 8TB external to rip out the drive. Then, that's fine.

... it is only "better" if you are going to manually overclock. If you aren't its pointless.

And, FFS, WHY are you so insistent on 64GB of RAM?

It. Will. Not. Increase. Your. Performance. In. Games.

At all. Zero much.

Nadda.

Its basically throwing money in the garbage.

There are NO games that require that kind of RAM. Most dont even gain a ton of benefit from going from 8GB to 16GB. LTT literally just did a video about it.
    16gb is for sure the sweet spot imo. Enough to run anything you want while also not being overkill with price.

Idk if people are still in the mind set of “just add more ram” like back in the day when ram was actually a bottleneck but if this guy really is insisting on having 64gb of ram then honestly there’s no point in him even asking for advice because that’s basically torching away money for nothing when he could have used that money for a next gen cpu or gpu that would actually effect performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Cayde69 View Post
    16gb is for sure the sweet spot imo. Enough to run anything you want while also not being overkill with price.

Idk if people are still in the mind set of “just add more ram” like back in the day when ram was actually a bottleneck but if this guy really is insisting on having 64gb of ram then honestly there’s no point in him even asking for advice because that’s basically torching away money for nothing when he could have used that money for a next gen cpu or gpu that would actually effect performance.
    16 is already the min I'd say. Ofc depends on the games and for WoW certainly 8 is enough to have some multitasking on the side. That said on DDR5 goes up to 4 times the density I think and currently their starting point is the max of DDR4. Ofc everything is about the price and there yeah you are basically paying double to go for max of 128 gigs on your setup later with 4x 32 instead of 2x 16 now and 4x 16 later.

Not to mention the memory we got now is still low speed and high latency in general, plus there's the new tech tax. So in general I'd go with cheap memory now and in a few years when it's time to upgrade your CPU go with better ram that is likely cheaper.

For what it's worth I have a hard time using 64 gigs of ram on my setup even when am abusing the hell out of memory for faster computing when am simulating. But for gaming alone I don't think I've seen 20 gigs being utilized while gaming and having some multitasking going at the same time.