Page 18 of 37 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I can't be bothered to read the thread entirely - so this most likely has already been said

But to answer the OP's question:

The addition of the WotLK Group Finder tool was one of the first steps that many people consider as the start of WoW's downtrend in playerbase. It definitely contributed to the servers feeling much smaller and mattering less, as you no longer needed to rely on just your server in order to get things done. You didn't even need a guild anymore to see content. It started to diminish WoW's social experience, which seems to be something the people in charge of Classic are trying to avoid.

Its not a hatred for the tool itself, but what happened as a side effect of when it was originally implemented.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaelthon
    do i wanting my cat come the expansion due to signifying a reroll fresh scratch the night elf mage?

I don't know if I'd call RDF a "great tool" overall, but it definitely made levelling alts way better. Personally I want to see more of a middle ground and just apply the current M+ dungeon finder tool to Wrath. You don't have to post in trade, you can easily see roles and item level, with add-ons you could easily see prior experience, and the world is still alive since you need to get to the dungeon. It should work pretty well in BC/Wrath where things are a bit closer together, but a dungeon teleport should definitely be a thing for classic dungeons where just getting to the dungeon for the first time might take a couple hours.

I think a lot of people have it in their head that RDF ruined the community, but that's not quite right. RDF just ruined localized prestige. The community ruined itself. People don't want to take the blame for their own failures so they are pushing it off onto Bliz, but I've become completely convinced that all these people complaining about the community are probably the root cause of the problem to begin with. They are the Amber Heard's of the world playing the victim while punching the object of their affection in the face, and they are so deep in the sauce that they don't understand that's what they are doing.

Quote Originally Posted by storn206 View Post
    It was in the last content patch and not from the start. Might have been a convenience for some but for others it ruined what little was left.
    The last content patch was still half of Wrath.

Quote Originally Posted by Malania View Post
    You don't get to whine for a no change classic experience to relive the glory days while complaining about how you like LFG more. You want the classic experience or you want retail. Pick one.
    Except that's a false equivalence here because LFG existed in Wrath.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by cantrip View Post
    70% of the classic players voted to add a dungeon finder. Your stance is coming from a time before classic vanilla and classic tbc where people learned that a dungeon finder infact is a useful tool rather than "the destroyer of worlds" a few nostalgic fanatics planted in their brains before classic vanilla was released.

Matchmaking is without doubt the most successfull way to create groups. The developers should start to adress it rather than remove it.
    Ok, guess when i've MMed in games then i've just usually had nothing but terrible players with me in terms of brain play.

Even when communicating with them.

I guess i am in the minority having that experience then.

Quote Originally Posted by wushootaki View Post
    I can't be bothered to read the thread entirely - so this most likely has already been said

But to answer the OP's question:

The addition of the WotLK Group Finder tool was one of the first steps that many people consider as the start of WoW's downtrend in playerbase. It definitely contributed to the servers feeling much smaller and mattering less, as you no longer needed to rely on just your server in order to get things done. You didn't even need a guild anymore to see content. It started to diminish WoW's social experience, which seems to be something the people in charge of Classic are trying to avoid.

Its not a hatred for the tool itself, but what happened as a side effect of when it was originally implemented.
    Yeah without LFD in TBC I can say the world is huge.. because I care about matching people up with items they need and their gold count for gdkps..

Their value is huge to me! I get to know them! We all become friends! The world is so alive because I get to run the same instances! Its amazing game play. Without LDF all this things came true! The game is so amazing.

/s

If they are going to start fresh servers, they could advertise some as having RDF active (server only) and some as not having RDF and let people choose which they would prefer to play on - i'm not planning on going fresh but I would if it meant RFD instead of the 'community' on current realms.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ya I really don't get why they removed LFD. The heroics were piss easy (Oculus was annoying) and they let me log in, do dailies, get my heroics, then go do something else, whether it's leveling alts, going out, playing different games, doing yard work, etc.

It's honestly a turn off for me to return. I'm OK with convenience as a 30 year old man who has shit to do haha.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by silvanobi View Post
    If they are going to start fresh servers, they could advertise some as having RDF active (server only) and some as not having RDF and let people choose which they would prefer to play on - i'm not planning on going fresh but I would if it meant RFD instead of the 'community' on current realms.
    I was thinking exactly this. Make the fresh servers experimental. Add new shit and have fun with it. Leave the legacy servers for people who want to continue down the classic path.

Quote Originally Posted by Low Hanging Fruit View Post
    Yeah without LFD in TBC I can say the world is huge.. because I care about matching people up with items they need and their gold count for gdkps..

Their value is huge to me! I get to know them! We all become friends! The world is so alive because I get to run the same instances! Its amazing game play. Without LDF all this things came true! The game is so amazing.

/s
    You don't even play the game...hence why you are on Mmo-champ
    do i wanting my cat come the expansion due to signifying a reroll fresh scratch the night elf mage?

You don't even play the game...hence why you are on Mmo-champ
    One usually draws on their own experience to put onto others so I see where you are coming from.

Quote Originally Posted by Etna-the-Undying View Post
    Now why would i want the reason that i am not playing retail to come back. I am playing Vanilla and tbc beacause i dont want LFD and LFR in my game
    its not YOUR game tho this is basically whining to blizz to let you be elitist to newcomers and late joiners to the game which isn't very social, now i do remember lfd in it and iirc it came with ulduar back in wrath no 1 was toxic about gs till toc/icc but i doubt it will be that way wiht wrath classic and todays community as they seem to like to exclude people from content for the simple reason of not having done it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Low Hanging Fruit View Post
    One usually draws on their own experience to put onto others so I see where you are coming from.
    Its also that they stated exactly what I said, when they revealed they decided to not add the LFG tool. Even watching videos that serve as documentaries about WoW (yes I know these are not professional documentary creators), whatever it is that started the downward trend of WoW losing subs happened during WotLK and into Cataclysm (Last patch I believe).

So, I believe they are trying different approaches to see the impact it has on the game, as they already saw the outcome of linking servers and making it easier to find groups. Its definitely convenient, but they now have an option to see what would happen if they hadn't added it, rather than just speculate.

There are enough people playing classic anyway that I don't feel like the lack of this tool will have a massive impact on people's ability to get content done.

Quote Originally Posted by Etna-the-Undying View Post
    Now why would i want the reason that i am not playing retail to come back. I am playing Vanilla and tbc beacause i dont want LFD and LFR in my game
    No LFD is the reason why most realms die because noone wants to manually search for a group all the time, it does nothing for the community so there is no reason not to have it in place for quick access to any dungeon you want, its a simple fact more ppl do the dungeons because of the LFD tool and without it many will barely even go in them if not at all.
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Its also that they stated exactly what I said, when they revealed they decided to not add the LFG tool. Even watching videos that serve as documentaries about WoW (yes I know these are not professional documentary creators), whatever it is that started the downward trend of WoW losing subs happened during WotLK and into Cataclysm (Last patch I believe).

So, I believe they are trying different approaches to see the impact it has on the game, as they already saw the outcome of linking servers and making it easier to find groups. Its definitely convenient, but they now have an option to see what would happen if they hadn't added it, rather than just speculate.

There are enough people playing classic anyway that I don't feel like the lack of this tool will have a massive impact on people's ability to get content done.
    Talk about confirmation bias. lol

the LFD tool will be essential in cutting back on boosting if they don't implement something like what they did with SoM and should be included in the game

Simple reason WoW loses players is you cant always have time to play games, as a game gets old it loses players and some new players may not like an older game so its pretty obvious its going to lose players over time, no feature in the game is the reason why subs are dropping, vanilla to wotlk is around 6 years so thats a long time for things to change for a player.

WoW is just an older game, its gameplay doesnt change much so can get boring and the content remains mostly the same each expansion with a few differences so that has more to do with players staying subbed rather than a specific tool or so.
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

Quote Originally Posted by WaltherLeopold View Post
    RDF should be in, since it was implemented in WotLK. However it should be introduced in the corresponding phase that also introduces ICC, as it is the closest to the historical patch where it was implemented back then.
    finally someone that gets it LFG cross realm was never a thing in wotlk at launch it came later. im all for it coming later. as i understand it the begining will have something similar to retails LFG system for raids and m+ just not cross realm at launch

The issue of this mindset is simply that a game is by large designed around certain elements and you just can't take out one element or add and expect it will go work out.

I still believe that DF would have been a massive mistake in something like Classic, because the dungeons are nonlinear as fuck, hold extremely high value loot and have a bunch of elements that would cause a bunch of drama in any pug.
    Having something like DF in Classic would an absolute shitshow.

But then Blizzard started to change their dungeon design, they got a lot smaller, lot more linear and only rarely held any massive outliers in terms of loot.
    Nevermind that most people in Wotlk will be pretty quickly only be after Emblems, not the actual dungeon loot.

The point is if Blizzard actually wants to take the leap and leave out something like DF, they actually have to design the rest of the game in such a way that it actually makes sense.
    Something like Cata heroics famously didn't work out because of DF, but tuning heroics in such a way that they're actually compareable to Cata heroics would obviously be a massive deviation from any authentic experience, nevermind that Blizzard would have to put in actual work.

If Blizzard actually wants to leave out DF and all that other "bad stuff" people within the Classic audience complains about, then Blizzard has to put in the money and time to redesign those expansions with that in mind.

10+ Year Old Account
    "LF1M TANK FOR DAILY" spam == Community
    We're all newbs, some are just more newbier than others.

Just a burned out hardcore raider turned casual.
    I'm tired. So very tired. Can I just lay my head on your lap and fall asleep?
    #TeamFuckEverything

RDF isnt the problem. how many times in wrath did you ever have to whisper someone to give you a hand questing in the world???? compare this to BC...... it is night and day. you talk to someone everyday thru whispers in world content in BC, everything was so faceroll in wrath the whispers went away. RDF/LFD didnt ruin the social aspect of wow at all. you all have forgotten that world content in wrath is a complete faceroll and took out the social aspect completely. the only time i remember in wrath being whispered was when someone was getting pvp camped and it was usually a low level guy trying to get enough time to escape form being camped. never once did i ever remotely come close to needing help with any quest in wrath. the danger was gone in wrath, and it has been gone since bc..... but but LFD ruined the game.....
    Last edited by craigw; 2022-06-19 at 05:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SinR View Post
    "LF1M TANK FOR DAILY" spam == Community
    This whole thing can be summarized to this statement right here imo.

Spamming a global/local channel does not make a community. It’s just an annoyance.

If you truly want to keep a server community in tact then even adding lfd to just your server would be just fine. I can at least semi understand that argument to not have it cross realm