Page 62 of 89 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    The dialogue in the show is so bad that when paired with the acting is a tough watch.

"I need you to do this thing."
    "I'm sorry. I can't do that thing or the Empire will come after me".
    "Please, I need your help."
    "Okay, you got my help."

Ugh. It's like written by 7 year olds.
    Controversial take here, but I think a lot of this in some modern television (like a lot in the rest of our society) is that writer's rooms are often staffed by people from elite schools and/or nepotists who never had to go through a crucible of actually appealing to a real audience. Meaning that they've studied writing theoretically and their dad knew someone at the studio so they got the gig. This is basically elite rot at every level in society and culture is no different.

The best thing that could probably happen to this stuff is putting writers through the crucible of needing to actually sell books by themselves on Amazon for a year or two. Compete in the real market and see if they could make a living as a middle grade writer with a Patreon (most of them could not, I suspect).

Just saying this as a bit of personal experience as someone who went through this to a degree, you will learn so much more about how to please an audience by getting your ass kicked on Kindle Unlimited than jumping through elite hoops. You will have to unlearn what you have learned about trying to be clever and subversive and instead focusing on hitting correct story beats and tropes.

And fundamentally, writing genre shows is about pleasing your audience, whether Disney or whoever likes that or not. Even if that upsets whatever sensibilities you are trying to project to the world.

Mandalorian did this pretty well. Boba Fett did not. This seems to be somewhere in the middle at best.
    A better way to think about Casual v Hardcore: https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...asual-Hardcore

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragedaug View Post
    Feels to me that Obi-Wan has a small part to play in this show called, "Obi-Wan Kenobi," that delivers Reva's story. Kinda like how "The Three Musketeers" is really about the forth Musketeer.
    If it was called "D'Artagnan" and followed the story of Jussac - you'd have a point.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost of Cow View Post
    That's what I've said about Vader in the past - actually in this thread too, I think. He gets hit with the Worf Effect a lot. To the point where he stops feeling like this terrifying force of evil and more like just another Stormtrooper in black who can do neat magic tricks.

I guess part of it is just the constant need to expand the SW universe, to add more characters and more stories, and in doing so always have the scrappy protagonists succeed in the end. So he just has to constantly keep losing, keep getting clowned on, even when he's throwing his power around he's still just endlessly outmaneuvered, outwitted, or just plain out-lucked.

It makes the whole original story with Luke and the gang less meaningful, and makes Vader less of an imposing character in the end.
    Absolutely!

This was (I guess, is?) a great opportunity to remind us why he's the most feared villain of all time. He sees through Reva's plan and kills her right there after completely humiliating her. Awesome! He's scary again, like when he showed up in Ep 4 and just choked the shit out of that dude!

That is the Vader fans want to see, imo!

It's just hard not to be cynical and see other motives besides building the narrative! They probably want to create a character for another show more than cement the legacy of an old character.

This is why I prefer new shows with totally new characters, given the choice. All this rehashing is tired, especially if you're just using it to springboard other stuff.

7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    How dare you. Bad dialog is a Star Wars trope.

I don't know why you hate Star Wars so much.
    Not really the same thing as the other complaint. You are getting worse at this mockery. You should have quit while you were ahead.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    If it was called "D'Artagnan" and followed the story of Jussac - you'd have a point.
    I mean, feels like I still have a point, even if your point is better. /shrug

"Take the time to sit down and talk with your adversaries. You will learn something, and they will learn something from you. When two enemies are talking, they are not fighting. It's when the talking ceases that the ground becomes fertile for violence. So keep the conversation going."
    ~ Daryl Davis

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragedaug View Post
    I mean, feels like I still have a point, even if your point is better. /shrug
    You really don't since the story of Three Musketeers is a story of Three musketeers as they meet D'Artagnan who is not a musketeer but wants to be one.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Quote Originally Posted by bledgor View Post
    Pretty uncommon that one dies and the other is completely fine days later. You can be cool with it, doesn't mean I have to be.
    No, it actually isn't. It's called advancements in medical science. Or magical miracle cure fluid. It's called a Bacta Tank. Look it up. You don't have to be ok with that, but that's 1005 a 'you' issue. It says nothing about the quality of the show, only about the quality of your imagination.

Quote Originally Posted by Skulltaker View Post
    No, it actually isn't. It's called advancements in medical science. Or magical miracle cure fluid. It's called a Bacta Tank. Look it up. You don't have to be ok with that, but that's 1005 a 'you' issue. It says nothing about the quality of the show, only about the quality of your imagination.
    Everyone keeps bringing up bacta but she's lying there on the floor of a dusty landing pad with no one around and no sign of any medical attention.

I suppose Vader could have left her ship there, and I suppose there could be some bacta there. That's left to our imagination though, which is fine.

10+ Year Old Account
    Everyone keeps bringing up bacta but she's lying there on the floor of a dusty landing pad with no one around and no sign of any medical attention.

I suppose Vader could have left her ship there, and I suppose there could be some bacta there. That's left to our imagination though, which is fine.
    There's bacta delivery number in that holotransmitter. Domino's Bacta. 30 minutes delivery or it's free.

10+ Year Old Account

Guess you missed Episode 4 of Kenobi. Because there's obviously a full bacta tank in the back of the cave complex somewhere;

Last edited by Endus; 2022-06-19 at 05:52 PM.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account

Ignoring the tank in an earlier episode, while unlikely to come up bacta spray is also a thing that any one could carry on them.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

10+ Year Old Account
    That bacta tank, prepared specifically for Obi-wan, has been used up to heal Obi-wan. Bacta is not reusable.
    Bacta is also expensive. You don't live that shit behind. So good luck Reva.

7+ Year Old Account

The same dusty landing pad that Obi-wan walked away from and took the message from Bail next to the Bacta tank he was in.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

That bacta tank, prepared specifically for Obi-wan, has been used up to heal Obi-wan. Bacta is not reusable.
    Not to mention that it's not like she knows it's there. She's not going to got wandering around the facility - crawling around on the floor - looking for it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not to mention that it's not like she knows it's there. She's not going to got wandering around the facility - crawling around on the floor - looking for it.
    I would love to see the entire episode of her crawling over the (mostly stormtrooper) bodies... and then dying of exhaustion.

7+ Year Old Account
    Where did you get this because Wookieepedia doesn't say this?

It isn't on either the page for Bacta or Bacta tank.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, because people stumbling onto something never has happened in the world ever
    –The Sith Code

Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    Yes, because people stumbling onto something never has happened in the world ever
    And like I said, it's probably going to be left to our imagination and that's fine.

Ya'll can get all defensive about it if you want, I know that's in your contract somewhere.

10+ Year Old Account
    Some brain droppings from wookieepedia:
    1. Bacta is only produced by two companies
    2. It's a business
    3. Empire controls all the bacta production during Empire times.

Oh and btw, avoid going Vratix on wookieepedia. It's disgusting.
    Last edited by Elim Garak; 2022-06-19 at 06:24 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not sure where you're getting any of this. It certainly wasn't prepared specifically for Obi-Wan; he'd only just gotten injured and there was no way to presume that he would have been more than a minute or two earlier. They certainly show bacta tanks being reused for different people regularly.

- - - Updated - - -

If only there were something that could draw her in the right direction. Some kind of supernatural energy, some kind of Force or something.

But that'd be out of character for Star Wars, right?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Not sure where you're getting any of this. It certainly wasn't prepared specifically for Obi-Wan; he'd only just gotten injured and there was no way to presume that he would have been more than a minute or two earlier. They certainly show bacta tanks being reused for different people regularly.
    You have the episodes in HD, go rewatch it.