Thread: Budget $5k USD

Herald of the Titans Pterodactylus's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account

Budget $5k USD

Hello folks,

So I just checked my computer replacement account and it's over $5k and I have been needing to replace my rig for a good long while.

I do a lot of photogrammetry and arc gis modeling in addition to lots of gaming (e.g. wow, eldenring, kerbal space program, civ) and I dabble in overclocking, but nothing like LN2 craziness.

I've been out of the loop for awhile on parts, and I am not married to any of the parts below, although I've always had an ASUS mobo and GPU and will likely continue that trend. I have a separate budget of $1200 for 2 new 27 inch monitors and some new speakers to replace my 12 year old Logitech speakers. I would welcome advice on these purchases as well, as I don't even have a starting point.

Thanks in advance for advice and tips.
    PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12-Core Processor ($379.99 @ Amazon)
    CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler ($109.95 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z690-E GAMING WIFI ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($429.99 @ Amazon)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws S5 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR5-5600 CL30 Memory ($589.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws S5 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR5-5600 CL30 Memory ($589.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($254.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Samsung 870 Evo 4 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($429.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: Asus GeForce RTX 3090 24 GB STRIX GAMING OC Video Card ($1699.99 @ Amazon)
    Case: Fractal Design Torrent Compact ATX Mid Tower Case ($183.13 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: Corsair HX Platinum 1000 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($230.55 @ Amazon)
    Total: $4898.56
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-06-20 10:31 EDT-0400
    “You know, it really doesn’t matter what the media write as long as you’ve got a young, and beautiful, piece of ass." - President Donald Trump

I can't comment on how useful it is for your other hobbies/work other than gaming, but that memory is complete overkill for gaming, especially having that much of it. I'd neverrrr pay $600 for 64GB of memory.

Basically, just because you have the budget doesn't necessarily mean you should spend it, at least in my opinion. I guess anyone with that kind of budget to throw at a PC probably doesn't have any money issues, though.
    Last edited by Alcsaar; 2022-06-20 at 03:08 PM.

Yeah, without knowing what specs that software you're using needs its hard to comment.

Like, do you need gobs and gobs of RAM for what you're doing?

Do you need tons of frame buffer on the GPU for what you're doing?

Etc.

my advice

that amount of ram is overkill unless for some odd reason you need it.

with ddr5 you are going to want to use Windows 11.

other then that, seems great

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    Yeah, without knowing what specs that software you're using needs its hard to comment.

Like, do you need gobs and gobs of RAM for what you're doing?

Do you need tons of frame buffer on the GPU for what you're doing?

Etc.
    Hey thanks, Kagthul, for having a look. As an FYI, I linked the rec specs for the software in my original post, but really for the photogrammetry stuff, it chews up RAM for breakfast - the more the better.

And I hear you @Alcsaar, I am not very excited about that price, and I hope things will drop a bit by the time I do pull the trigger.
    “You know, it really doesn’t matter what the media write as long as you’ve got a young, and beautiful, piece of ass." - President Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by Pterodactylus View Post
    Hey thanks, Kagthul, for having a look. As an FYI, I linked the rec specs for the software in my original post, but really for the photogrammetry stuff, it chews up RAM for breakfast - the more the better.

And I hear you @Alcsaar, I am not very excited about that price, and I hope things will drop a bit by the time I do pull the trigger.
    If you really need 128GB you'd probably be better off saving some money and going for slower memory as a 12700k may struggle to hit those speeds with 4 sticks installed.

Quote Originally Posted by Pterodactylus View Post
    Hello folks,

So I just checked my computer replacement account and it's over $5k and I have been needing to replace my rig for a good long while.

I do a lot of photogrammetry and arc gis modeling in addition to lots of gaming (e.g. wow, eldenring, kerbal space program, civ) and I dabble in overclocking, but nothing like LN2 craziness.

I've been out of the loop for awhile on parts, and I am not married to any of the parts below, although I've always had an ASUS mobo and GPU and will likely continue that trend. I have a separate budget of $1200 for 2 new 27 inch monitors and some new speakers to replace my 12 year old Logitech speakers. I would welcome advice on these purchases as well, as I don't even have a starting point.

Thanks in advance for advice and tips.
    PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12-Core Processor ($379.99 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z690-E GAMING WIFI ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($429.99 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($254.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Samsung 870 Evo 4 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($429.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: Asus GeForce RTX 3090 24 GB STRIX GAMING OC Video Card ($1699.99 @ Amazon)
    Case: Fractal Design Torrent Compact ATX Mid Tower Case ($183.13 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: Corsair HX Platinum 1000 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($230.55 @ Amazon)
    Total: $4898.56
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-06-20 10:31 EDT-0400
    Nobody knows what photogrammertry is. Maybe ask in a forum, where people works with it - they might share some insight.

For gaming purposes - RAM is overkill(8 or 16 is plenty). And the video card is also complete overkill for the mentioned games. If you know that you would play these games, for say next 4 years - you would save a lot of money here, by getting much cheaper video card, while still running the games perfectly(depending on the monitor requirements).
    Last edited by HansOlo; 2022-06-20 at 11:10 PM.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/vyR38r

CPU: Intel Core i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12-Core Processor ($365.00 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z690-A GAMING WIFI D4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($334.12 @ Amazon)
    Memory: Patriot Viper 4 Blackout 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($194.99 @ B&H)
    Memory: Patriot Viper 4 Blackout 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($194.99 @ B&H)
    Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($194.10 @ Amazon)
    Storage: ADATA XPG SX8100 4 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($399.99 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 12 GB XC3 ULTRA GAMING iCX3 Video Card ($1099.99 @ Adorama)
    Case: Fractal Design Torrent Compact ATX Mid Tower Case ($183.17 @ Amazon)
    Total: $3306.85
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-06-20 19:44 EDT-0400
    Lots of caveats here.

I have no idea even from reading the system reqs if it wants just more RAM or if lower latency or higher bandwidth RAM is better (or if bandwidth even matters at all vs raw amount). If higher bandwidth will produce measureable performance increases, then DDR5 is.. well, the only game in town, as it has two different pipelines per DIMM (basically, each DIMM is effectively dual-channel on its own; thats an oversimplification, but itll do) and is therefore much faster. If its not super bandwidth or latency sensitive, then DDR4 is the way to go for now. Especially if latency matters.

I did this build assuming there wouldnt be large performance gains in DDR5, but id fask around on a forum dedicated to that software/job and see what they recommend.

Same with the GPU - they recommend a number of CUDA cores, but make no mention of the VRAM (Frame Buffer) needed. If it will max out the VRAM, then yeah, the 3090 is as good as you can get (well, 3090Ti i guess, but i cant imagine that making a huge difference) because of the 24GB VRAM. But if it just wants the CUDA cores, then the 3080Ti is basically identical to the 3090 (actually a bit faster as its clocked a tad higher) and is significantly cheaper.

Again, though, id ask around and see if it is VRAM hungry or not. If it is, swap back to a 3090. I know you're an ASUS fan but EVGA should also be on the table, as they have the best warranty in the business and the most hassle-free customer service experience. (Thats why i went with the EVGA 3080 TI above - it was cheaper by about 200$ than the ASUS models)

I swapped the 980 Pro for a 970 EVO. Real-world performance, you wont notice a giant difference. You'd notice more going with a Gen 4 drive (PCPartpicker doesn't seem to have a good way to specifiy PCIe 4.0 only) than the difference between the EVO and PRO on 3.0; if you're going to constantly be reading and writing large files, then the speed benefits of PCIe 4.0 might make a noticeable difference, but if you arent, you wont notice the difference between 3.0 and 4.0. Theyre both really fuckin fast.

I swapped that SATA SSD you had a secondary drive to another PCIe drive. No reason not to, and unlike PCIe generations not making much of a difference in everyday use, there's a HUGE leap between even a SATA SSD and a "slow" PCIe drive. And theyre around the same price.

You might gain more performance dropping in an i9 12900K/KF if the software can make more use of more cores. (The i9 has 4 more efficiency cores for 8P/8E, vs the 8P/4E in the i7).

Again, the links dont really say if its very core-aware or not.
    Last edited by Kagthul; 2022-06-21 at 12:14 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Thanks, @Kagthul, for taking the time. This is some good stuff here to consider and I appreciate the information.