Page 71 of 89 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I liked the entire series TBH, but I'm not a giga fan of Star Wars in general. Reva annoyed me at the start (probably intentional) and I don't think her story ended up being all the great at the end. I'm sure if they do a second season they could advance her character. Personally think the other inquisitors took away from her story, or weren't all that necessary to the plot.

At the end of the day it was a cool nod to Obi-Wan getting his mojo back and then learning to communicate with Qui-Gon at the end. I know some people probably didn't like it but I liked the entire Leia arc. Not that she wouldn't turn out that way anyway, but I guess it pushes her a bit more in the direction of wanting to become a great leader.

The whole Vader fight scene was cool, wish it was a bit longer though. To me Vader loses to Obi-Wan again for the same reasons he lost to his son in RoTJ. He's conflicted and from what little I know about the comics and other sources of media this is something that happens to him constantly. His lines read like a lie to himself, the same lie he told himself constantly during RoTJ.

Obi-Wan not killing Anakin, even if he acknowledges him as Vader at the end is certainly in character for him. I think he was just too heartbroken to kill what he essentially believed to be his brother. Also Vader leaving people alive seems oddly in character (at least to me) in this series. It points out multiple times that's he's too concerned with winning and pleasing others, so leaving Reva alive when Obi-Wan is literally a breath away makes sense to me. The cold ruthless Vader we see is more apparent when obstacles like Obi-Wan aren't staring him in the face.

I think there's room for another series but seeing Vader interact with Obi-Wan again would probably diminish the entire appeal. From what I've heard I think Darth Maul makes a re-appearance at some point, which could be the antagonist of that series (with more elements interwoven). Vader would just need his entire own series though which would be bad ass.

One of the cool things about the series (especially the last few episodes) was just seeing the force used more, which you don't see all that much in the prequel or original series.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    She's not even the primary villain. She's a lieutenant to the big bad. Why were people even expecting her to be the center focus?

And b!aming "diversity" is just complaining that she's not a white dude. Useless and prejudiced argument, without merit.
    You misunderstand. I'm saying she's a tool of virtue signaling, not complaining about diverse casting. I'm all for more diverse characters, but I want CHARACTERS, not props.

I don't expect the entire show to be about them, but if they're getting substantial screen time but at the same time are so tacked on they could be cut with little to no consequence to the plot then there's something wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    You misunderstand. I'm saying she's a tool of virtue signaling, not complaining about diverse casting. I'm all for more diverse characters, but I want CHARACTERS, not props.
    There isn't a single way she's representative of "virtue signalling", unless you're claiming the only reason a black actress would ever be cast is because she's black.

And y'know, that's the prejudice I was talking about, right there. She couldn't possibly have done well at the audition and fit who they wanted the character to be, it has to just be her skin color and checking off a box, no other possible value to be had.

Absolute fuckin' garbage, mate.

I don't expect the entire show to be about them, but if they're getting substantial screen time but at the same time are so tacked on they could be cut with little to no consequence to the plot then there's something wrong.
    Well, you can't cut Reva from the plot, because she's a major driver of the whole thing.

Without Reva, nobody kidnaps Leia to drag Obi-Wan out of hiding. Y'know, the initiating event of the entire show.

Reva's the one to track Obi-Wan down on whatever the cyberpunk city planet was, can't be bothered to look it up.

She's also responsible for the tracking device that led them to Obi-Wan and the refugees, and which disabled the doors keeping them from escaping. Her doing so was the reason Vader didn't kill her outright for her initial failure with Obi-Wan.

She's the one who convinced Obi-Wan there was a potential to save some who'd fallen to the Dark Side, which was arguably why he gave Anakin that chance in their penultimate confrontation (final for the series, but y'know, ANH happens). Where we got to see Obi-Wan realizing his friend was truly beyond salvation, at least by his hand, too blinded by his hatred, having "killed" any part of him that ever felt any love for Obi-Wan.

And so on. If you're telling me Reva could be cut without consequence, you weren't following the show, because her actions drive the plot more than anyone's. She acts, Obi-Wan reacts, for most of the show. Like, maybe you don't like her, but that's subjective and really fundamentally irrelevant; I liked her character a lot, myself. But claiming she could be cut without consequence to the story? That's just objectively false.

Infracted.
    Last edited by eschatological; 2022-06-23 at 07:16 AM.

There isn't a single way she's representative of "virtue signalling", unless you're claiming the only reason a black actress would ever be cast is because she's black.
    I'm not generalizing.

I'm saying they put a black actress in that role in this particular case primarily to score diversity points.

And y'know, that's the prejudice I was talking about, right there. She couldn't possibly have done well at the audition and fit who they wanted the character to be, it has to just be her skin color and checking off a box, no other possible value to be had.
    Please tell me you're not actually this naive.

This is a BUSINESS. They make hard calculated decisions for very callous reasons. Absolutely they'd do something like that, even if they wouldn't come out and admit it for obvious reasons.

But I doubt you'd go as far as to claim that practices like the diversity hire don't actually exist. It's a sad reality of the present day. That doesn't mean ALL diverse people are hired like that, but it absolutely does happen with great and specific intent and calculation.

Well, you can't cut Reva from the plot, because she's a major driver of the whole thing.

Without Reva, nobody kidnaps Leia to drag Obi-Wan out of hiding. Y'know, the initiating event of the entire show.
    But that doesn't have to be her. Doesn't even have to be ANYONE in particular. Random unnamed bounty hunter would do it. Obi-Wan come out of hiding to get Leia back. Vader notices that Obi-Wan has reappeared. Hunt ensues. Story plays out the exact same way.

You don't need Reva, you don't even need the inquisitors. Just standard run-of-the-mill Imperial intelligence could serve the exact same narrative purpose, i.e. being an impetus to bring Vader in and get him on Obi-Wan's scent.

She's the one who convinced Obi-Wan there was a potential to save some who'd fallen to the Dark Side, which was arguably why he gave Anakin that chance in their penultimate confrontation (final for the series, but y'know, ANH happens). Where we got to see Obi-Wan realizing his friend was truly beyond salvation, at least by his hand, too blinded by his hatred, having "killed" any part of him that ever felt any love for Obi-Wan.
    Oh come on, you're saying that without Reva good-boy Obi-Wan could not have possibly acted the same way? That's reaching.

10+ Year Old Account
    If Obi-Wan is the meat of the show, Reva is the seasoning. You want bland steak?

Complaining that she is a diversity pick is wild. So what if she is? How many black women are in SW? I'll wait while but because I know its going to take a while to count them all.

Complaining that a character might look a certain way just because the showrunners wanted a more diverse ensemble is exactly why they feel the need to do that. If it doesn't matter, then it doesn't matter so why are we complaining about how the character looks? The character was going to be in the show regardless. The actress does a fine job at what was written for her, have to saw they really picked her for her performance in the last 2 episodes, then filled in the blanks with the rest.

People who claimed to watch the entire season 6 and hated it? Why would you do that to yourself? The show isn't even needed to understand the greater story of the franchise, so why invest time, money, and, energy into something you don't like?

"Let it go" - Palpatine, Dark Lord of the Sith.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not generalizing.

I'm saying they put a black actress in that role in this particular case primarily to score diversity points.
    Which is dismissing that the actress has any skill at her craft, on the basis of her skin color. That they could not possibly have thought she was talented and/or nailed the audition. Just that she's black and they had a box to check.

Why do I have to explain why your statement is racist to you?

Please tell me you're not actually this naive.

This is a BUSINESS. They make hard calculated decisions for very callous reasons. Absolutely they'd do something like that, even if they wouldn't come out and admit it for obvious reasons.

But I doubt you'd go as far as to claim that practices like the diversity hire don't actually exist. It's a sad reality of the present day. That doesn't mean ALL diverse people are hired like that, but it absolutely does happen with great and specific intent and calculation.
    Yes, I know, nobody would hire a non-white person if they weren't just engaging in empty virtue signalling. That's your argument. That literally any and every time a non-white is hired, there has to be some grand justification for it to explain why a white person wasn't hired instead.

She's an Emmy-nominated actress. You can't see her as anything but a diversity hire who only got the job because of her skin color. That's a "you" problem.

But that doesn't have to be her. Doesn't even have to be ANYONE in particular.
    From "you could cut her without consequence" to "you could replace her with a different character".

That's true of any new character in any story. It isn't an argument. They made a new character. It was Reva. Sure, they could have made any number of other characters, but this is the one they went with. Why does her existence have to be justified to a greater level than any other character would? Because that's what you're demanding, here; special justification for this character, over any other. That's wildly unreasonable.

Oh come on, you're saying that without Reva good-boy Obi-Wan could not have possibly acted the same way? That's reaching.
    "Could not"? No. "Might not have"? Sure.

Again, you're not making any kind of argument against the character, other than that she's a black woman. Your entire argument is built on that one point.

This show was such a confusing mess. A bunch of amazingly cool and satisfying things, mixed with bizarre terrible choices. It both dragged and felt like filler despite how short the show is, and then really rushed in others. Obi Wan had moments of sincere, heart-felt emotion, yet other parts of the show had actors acting as if they were in a cheap CW show.

Plenty confusing decisions and pretty poor writing, too. But the show looked good for the most parts (again with weird exceptions like the Grand Inquisitor's makeup)

I'm... very torn on this show. It's simultaneously pretty terrible, but I also enjoyed watching it.

5+ Year Old Account
    Oh endus, white knighting away, nobody complained about ice cube junior, only reva cuz she is a shit character with shit acting, and as far as awards go, these days you don't need talent to earn them, and if she has any, she sure didn't display any in this show. If this was the sequel trilogy where they made john boyega a joke character, you would call everyone a racist for noticing. You literally look at peoples complaints for bad characters that if that those characters happen to be played by a non-white person, just so you can weaponize that to call everyone a racist, just so you get to shut people up. Your posts reek of toxicity, as always. and you know damn well her character was the worst, it's so bad it's like a character made up for stand-up comedy on how not to make black characters. Only someone with an excessive need to assert himself, like you, would come out n defend that shit.

Pathetic.

Infracted.
    Last edited by eschatological; 2022-06-23 at 07:18 AM.

I prefer my idea for an Obi Wan series where the emperor's science division develops a hologram tech that can overlay on Vader's suit to make him look like regular Anakin again. Sidious gives Vader this tech so he can personally hunt Kenobi without everyone seeing Vader in the suit. That allows Hayden to act without the suit. I'd have Vader resent having to wear the device and eventually he destroys it or convinces Sidious that it isnt needed by the end of the series.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Quote Originally Posted by WoWGoneBad View Post
    Is it me...... or did anyone else get SWtoR Jedi Sage vibes with Obi-Wan and the rocks
    Totally lol it was a nice touch

Which is dismissing that the actress has any skill at her craft, on the basis of her skin color. That they could not possibly have thought she was talented and/or nailed the audition. Just that she's black and they had a box to check.
    Bullshit.

They knew coming in what kind of person they wanted, but that doesn't mean they just took the first random name that came across their desk and checked a box. And even IF it was a role written SPECIFICALLY for that actress (something that isn't even all that unusual) she'd have come to their minds for a good reason.

Don't twist this into something it isn't.

Yes, I know, nobody would hire a non-white person if they weren't just engaging in empty virtue signalling. That's your argument.
    No. I even made sure to specifically say that this is only about this particular case. But you're not interested in what I'm actually saying, are you.

That literally any and every time a non-white is hired, there has to be some grand justification for it to explain why a white person wasn't hired instead.
    I don't know where you're getting this from, but that's precisely the kind of toxic thinking that's causing so much trouble for an otherwise good cause.

She's an Emmy-nominated actress. You can't see her as anything but a diversity hire who only got the job because of her skin color. That's a "you" problem.
    I don't care about her previous achievements. I'm looking at one role, and one role only. This one. YOU are the one immediately jumping to generalizations at every turn.

From "you could cut her without consequence" to "you could replace her with a different character".
    Also literally not what I said. Not even a character. Any rando commando. No name, no specifics, just a plot device to get Leia into trouble. This doesn't require a character, only setup. Heck, Leia could get herself sucked into an unmanned cargo pod for all we care. All that matters is that she gets into a situation Obi-Wan is needed to resolve. THAT is the plot element that's relevant here, not who's to blame for it.

I'm surprised you don't understand this, I thought you were into writing.

Why does her existence have to be justified to a greater level than any other character would? Because that's what you're demanding, here; special justification for this character, over any other. That's wildly unreasonable.
    She plays a much larger role than any character save for Obi-Wan, Leia, or Vader. She's not the same as unnamed Rebel#24 or someone like Haja, who are background or side characters. But her role in the narrative doesn't reflect her presence on screen. That's terrible writing.

Again, you're not making any kind of argument against the character, other than that she's a black woman. Your entire argument is built on that one point.
    I suggest you re-read what I actually said this time, instead of coming into this with a fixed idea that somehow all I want is to rail against a black actress for being black, which isn't even in the same galaxy as what I've actually said.

My problem with the character is that it's bad writing. My problem with the actress is that Disney saw her primarily as a chance to do some diversity casting, doing her a professional disservice and insulting the idea of increased diversity in Hollywood instead of supporting it.

5+ Year Old Account
    She plays a much larger role than any character save for Obi-Wan, Leia, or Vader. She's not the same as unnamed Rebel#24 or someone like Haja, who are background or side characters. But her role in the narrative doesn't reflect her presence on screen. That's terrible writing.
    They should have given more screentime for owen n beru.

As for Luke, doesn't remotely look like hamill, prob shoe-horned in, son one of disney bosses or something? Didn't have one single sentence?... n that's the character who is kenobi's one job..instead half this show is reva...

- - - Updated - - -

Owen: "Someone dangerous is coming for Luke"
    Beru: "Where is Kenobi?"
    Owen: "Gone"
    Beru: "And whose fault is that?"
    Owen: "The writers"
    Endus: "That's racist!"

Quote Originally Posted by VMSmith View Post
    I haven't watched that far, but it seems weird that they would fight. Kinda wrecks the Vader quote "I've been waiting for you, Obi-Wan. We meet again, at last. The circle is now complete. When I left you I was but the learner. Now, *I* am the master." in my mind.
    You were answered already but i wanted to too.

The reason why the quote still works is because this show happened 10 years after RotS which meant that Vader has not yet let go of his loss against Obi-Wan and the plot they had in the end there... Anakin blaming Obi-Wan for turning Padme against him etc. Even tho Anakin was the one who had lost his way in his greed to save the one thing that mattered to him, since he lost his mother he didnt wanna go through that again. He was blinded by grief.

So in this series Vader is still hunting Obi-Wan to finally "win"... the flashbacks laid the foundation of how obsessed Anakin was about winning. Watching clone wars will reflect similar attitude.

Now in this fight he loses again... but he learned more from it regardless of the result because he was able to make Obi-Wan declare that Anakin is "truly dead".
    Which made him turn fully... or more so into Vader and forget his past.
    He got acceptance from his old master.... that matters alot. (acceptance that he killed Anakin himself)

The only reason i can think of this ending out like this is because Darth Vader (the new Anakin) thought of Anakin Skywalker (pre-Vaderization) as a failure... and because he was that failure but couldnt let go he needed to either beat Obi-Wan to redeem himself or have Obi-Wan tell him that Anakin is gone.

The dialogue in New Hope reflects this, continuation to yours: "Only a master of evil, Darth".
    Which would ring true now considering Vader managed to let go of Anakin the Jedi. (only Luke was able to bring Anakin the Jedi back from within)
    He became more powerful after he shook off that "Anakin" from him.
    Becoming a sith lord always signifies a new life for the person in question, that is why they get new names like Darth Vader or Darth Sidious or Darth Tyranus.

After all Dark Side also requires some form of control and not mindless obsession or revenge. :P

Vader was obviously not strong enough with the broken suit to challenge Obi-Wan anymore but next time they meet he would be far more powerful as a result of all this.
    Remember that Sidious designed the suit that way so Vader would have big weaknesses so he cant surpass Sidious in strength... weve known this for years.
    But we also know that not many in the universe can even beat Vader so its not a weakness that others can exploit... only Obi-Wan was able but he will never kill Anakin anyway so not that big of a deal apparently. (i like to think that he knows noone else can oppose Sidious in strength so the only hope left is Luke being able to exploit his father to get rid of Sidious... and as we know thats exactly what happens)

Its fun to connect the dots like this. :P
    Instead of just hating on the show!!! ree!
    Last edited by Otaka; 2022-06-23 at 07:00 AM.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    Imperial News on Holonet: A BLM activist showed those white moisture farmers what's what on Tatooine.

Infracted.
    Last edited by eschatological; 2022-06-23 at 07:19 AM.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    They should have given more screentime for owen n beru.

As for Luke, doesn't remotely look like hamill, prob shoe-horned in, son one of disney bosses or something? Didn't have one single sentence?... n that's the character who is kenobi's one job..instead half this show is reva...

- - - Updated - - -

You: But that single black character ruins the entire show....not the actions of person A (who is white) or person B (who is white) but that single person of colour.
    Fixed it for you

Infracted.
    Last edited by eschatological; 2022-06-23 at 07:20 AM.

Warning: I don't know how many times it has to be said, but the race-baiting and discussion of racism of other posters is off topic. It ends now. Infractions have been issued. Everyone in this derail knows better.

Finished watching the series - woww, this was really bad - a few good scenes, but so few, - you actually have to try to make something this bad.

Whatever they are smoking and thinking is a good thing to show or be, they're wrong - definitely not the old star wars, it's a lot worse, not better, makes little sense, full of inconsistencies, the quality got worse.. I mean.. if "Into the Badlands" could do great fight scenes in a series, you mean massive LucasArts/Disney cannot?

It's like they hired amateurs who either don't know what they are doing, or basically took their script and re-wrote it to push their own agenda - I don't know what is going on - but the pre-Disney star wars were never literary works of art for script writing or plots - but at least they made much more collective sense than this, and at least the art work, cgi, fights, cinematography planets backgrounds had a much much higher level of quality - they were definitely entertaining and beautiful to see, and while a bit simplistic or at least not choosing to go into depth - they made basic sense, this is just downright silly.

This is KK's image and re-write of Star ars, and it's awful, doesn't fit anything that came before she took the helm. She knows she is re-writing it, it's what she wanted to do, but the problem is her re-write is a lot worse, it's based on this rubbish ultra feminist - type B nonsense going on.

Base your product on stuff like that, ti's never going to be good because that's not how life works and that's not how people are, it comes of as fake and rubbish, especially when i is a long standing IP that has a lot of previous material, the contrast is clear to see, you've just swapped everything around and then written rubbish. They were better off starting a new IP, but they know no one would watch it, so they have to bait and switch.

Off course, you should listen to Disparu's review, it's absolutely hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post

This is KK's image and re-write of Star ars, and it's awful, doesn't fit anything that came before she took the helm. She knows she is re-writing it, it's what she wanted to do, but the problem is her re-write is a lot worse, it's based on this rubbish ultra feminist - type B nonsense going on.
    Don't forget the woke gay cabal, dude, they're out to get you as well.

So why was Reva spared by Darth Vader after betraying him and failing to capture Kenobi, but Second Sister (who didn't even betray Vader) was immediately cut down for failing her mission?

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    The only thing that would make this absolute horseshit more funny is if you posted it immediately after a mod told people to knock off the irrelevant garbage. Oh, wait. Take your pathetic agenda elsewhere.
    Last edited by s_bushido; 2022-06-23 at 10:13 AM.