Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Thumbs up The Ideal legendary system was in Firelands, and it can be improved, with a caveat.

You practically had to do it with a guild and the more skilled your guild was: the faster you got it. Not only that but you couldn't just weasel your way into a guild and then get it in a few days. The 1st to get it was always the most important character to get it and in big-enough guilds that was never the carry or the new guy.
    That had the gigantic advantage of combining both skill and community; it was no longer an RNG shitfest; it wasn't enough to pay a guild and carry you if you wanted to be the 1st to get it.

And it can be easily improved, by not restricting it only to a few specs. That can even be done by stretching it across an expansion to multiple raids.

The caveat? People need to play actually an MMO. It's not welfare; it's not carrying; it's not RNG.

The best legendary system is in Guild Wars 2.

Except ppl were complaining a ton because they didnt want to be in a guild. It also created a lot of in-guilds friction as you had to practically make a ranking of players and ppl dont like to be labeled. Skill and community? It was guaranteed drops and required a guild, not sure where that falls on the community scale.

Imo the best legendary system was actually the artifact system (minus the poor grinding it required). It was interesting, lore-related and personal to your character.

I don't think I've seen anything cause as much poaching as Tarecgosa did. Happy that you seem to have had a positive experience with it but I saw guilds collapse over it.

Quote Originally Posted by klaps_05 View Post
    Except ppl were complaining a ton because they didnt want to be in a guild. It also created a lot of in-guilds friction as you had to practically make a ranking of players and ppl dont like to be labeled. Skill and community? It was guaranteed drops and required a guild, not sure where that falls on the community scale.
    Guilds are community. Functional membership in one requires time, effort and social skills.

Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    You practically had to do it with a guild and the more skilled your guild was: the faster you got it. Not only that but you couldn't just weasel your way into a guild and then get it in a few days. The 1st to get it was always the most important character to get it and in big-enough guilds that was never the carry or the new guy.
    That had the gigantic advantage of combining both skill and community; it was no longer an RNG shitfest; it wasn't enough to pay a guild and carry you if you wanted to be the 1st to get it.

And it can be easily improved, by not restricting it only to a few specs. That can even be done by stretching it across an expansion to multiple raids.

The caveat? People need to play actually an MMO. It's not welfare; it's not carrying; it's not RNG.
    That is in not way ideeal. You should not be forced to be in a guild to get it.

What you want is gone. You will never get the community back.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Fuck no, I seen two guilds broke apart due to fighting about that damn staff,
    First one died cause guild leader gave the mats to his girlfriend who was a terrible player and the second fell part due to people having issues with taking turns.
    Personally I perfered mop/warlords legendaries where we gradually leveled up a item till it was a legendary item then were able to continue to empower it so it acted as a soft nerf to fights

10+ Year Old Account

In a game where we've just opened up more for cross-community progression, this idea is bad. As well, the Firelands system put a lot of people behind. The best one is the ones where each player starts their journey/questline and has a need for dungeons or raids, as well as solo scenario play to reach their goal (Like Rogue Daggers).
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Seeing as I like getting legendaries and I'll never be the pillar of a community that some of you envision as the only deserving figures, I'd rather just keep welfare legendaries.

MoP cloak was a personal favorite of mine.
    Quote Originally Posted by AZSolii View Post
    "yes, let's piss him off because he loves his long hair. Let us twirl our evil mustaches amidst the background music of honky-tonk pianos! GENIUS!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Culexus View Post
    Yes i hate those sneaky account thieves that come to my house and steal my computer in order to steal some wow money! Those bastards! *shakes fist*

nope,the old system was pure garbage,i would be here all day writing up the reasons,a few others have mentioned

no,a better legendery system is one similary difficult to craft,but be personal,and far more customizable,so its not significantly better for one spec like the staff was

10+ Year Old Account
    My guild & i didn't like it back then. Farming the mats for people in our 10man grp was pure pain when DS was out allready, the staff was just too good & kinda needed at spine.
    I can't imagine how horrible it must have been in 25 man groups.

It was always catering GM's "inner circle" unless there was literary no other choice. Also legendaries were for specific classes / specs only. One thing for sure - there should be legendary for each class, not for the chosen ones.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Having only 1 Person that 24 others have to funnel items into for a Legendary is the worst system. Since as I saw MANY fucking times during WoW's lifespan, Higher tier guilds will straight up poach Legendary wielding players or players with Legendaries will quit raiding after finishing getting them and leave the Guild without anyway.

Legendaries like MoP Cloak or even similar to Legion Artifacts are the best type. Something you yourself work towards at your own pace.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I was second in my guild to get that staff. First was this mage who quit right after he got it. This means that I was in a bad guild, but if I had left it I wouldn't have my staff.

It was not a good system. OP's concept of a good Legendary system is delusional.

Best system would be a mix of MoP / WoD's Legendary but instead it granted you an weapon like the Legion artifacts.

Leggos are and always will be a shit design. They either are dull and make your class functional like legion and sl or they define your class and your fucked if you dont have one like the old system.

There really shouldn't be leggos in the game. The closest they got to having the system work was artifact appearances.

The best legendary system is no legendary system.

Diablo has a very good legendary system as well, although the Artifact items still beat the legendary items, since they progress with the character, there should bring back artifacts for both weapon and clothing

7+ Year Old Account
    i was able to get it on my mage. and it was an alt. and my guiold was little and casual. so yes it was able to be done. we had 3 people working on it . we round robined teh motes we needed every week and we all got it the same day.
    “Listen, three eyes,” he said, “don’t you try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.”

15+ Year Old Account

No.

It caused lots of friction within guilds because people got labelled more (or less) important than others, and was just bad.

The current system is not perfect but definitely a lot better.

Or hear me out, remove the idea of legendary from the game.

We had expansions being based around these items with systems, lets get rid and have an expansion where its presence is no more.

However this is until they can get the feature right, honestly they should have trinkets become legendary as items they function closer to them then any other weapon or armour piece does.