Quote Originally Posted by Caprias View Post
    -snip-
    People like this are why I generally do roulettes as a Warrior. No matter how badly it goes, you can just do it yourself if the rest of the group fails. You're tanky enough to survive pretty much anything, and Holmgangs short cooldown will let you cheese some group mechanics and keep going. You can even solo max level raid content if you know what you're doing.

At this point in time I accept that people are going to screw up repeatedly. I usually expect nothing and I somehow still end up disapointed with people anyway. I have a very low opinion of other players.

Quote Originally Posted by Maljinwo View Post
    But these 'mentors' are supposed to guide new players
    Most people see Mentorship as either a means to get an extra XP bonuses or a way to reach a wider audience for trolling. It's a well intentioned system, but how people were going to use it doesn't seem to have been considered from the outset. I still think it's a good idea, but it really needs a rethink of the rewards that are attached to it.

I'd be all for making it a 1-to-1 system, where New players would get matched with an experienced player who's willing to show them the ropes rather than the extra roulette it is now. I feel like there's a lot of scope for improvement with the system as a whole. Even as an expansion to the Hall of the Novice and guildhests it's a good way to teach players mechanics in a potentially lower stress environment if nothing else.

What's the point of the Mentor Roulette anyways? I haven't qualified for it yet, but I imagine by the time you get the number of commendations you need for it, you've got everything at cap anyways. Does it just have some silly high EXP rewards?

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    What's the point of the Mentor Roulette anyways? I haven't qualified for it yet, but I imagine by the time you get the number of commendations you need for it, you've got everything at cap anyways. Does it just have some silly high EXP rewards?
    You mean besides the obvious where you mentor people?
    Pretty sure there's a mount or title or both for doing enough of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    Yes it takes longer, usually about ~10 minutes because the NPCs don't mass pull (though you can do that yourself and they can typically handle at least two packs) and they only ever do single target damage. If a queue is 10 minutes and the extra time on a Trust duty is ~10 minutes, it's a wash.
    Well, you can be using that 10 minutes in the queue to do something else, so the Trust is still really a loss of 10 minutes overall.

Quote Originally Posted by vom View Post
    You mean besides the obvious where you mentor people?
    Pretty sure there's a mount or title or both for doing enough of them.
    I guess it's a broader question then, for me. Once you have all jobs (or at least all the jobs you want) at 90....what's the point of roulettes? You can cap Aphorism tomestones with an expert roulette a day for 5 days, why else would you run them? I imagine you must be swimming in astronomy tomestones at that point?

I guess it's a broader question then, for me. Once you have all jobs (or at least all the jobs you want) at 90....what's the point of roulettes? You can cap Aphorism tomestones with an expert roulette a day for 5 days, why else would you run them? I imagine you must be swimming in astronomy tomestones at that point?
    I would guess other than showing people the ropes(but most mentors I have run with didn't do much explaining of anything even when asked)it's for the prestige of a mount that not many people have. /shrug

Like you said. They are prolly capped on stuff. Extra leveling roulette I guess depending on the exp you get from it. Not a mentor so not sure how much exp or tomestones they give.

Well since that stupid “oh bring a ‘friend’ back to wow and give them 30 day subscription” thing isn’t working for my wow account, I did see that I got an email from FFXIV for a free 96 hour play time, so figure I’d take them up on their offer.

Now I haven’t actually played in forever, I think my highest was like 30s still in like the original xpac story before I got kinda bored since I had just unlocked my first class upgrade or whatever for ninja, and was very bored how it still mostly used the prior class’s attacks and like 1 new button.

So in these 96 hours, kinda want to see if I can reignite any interest with a different dps class, any suggestions? Is it even worth it/practical to level up or should I just cut my losses and get a boost or something to max level? Really don’t want to go through how many year’s worth of stuff to catch up.

Quote Originally Posted by xezar View Post
    Well since that stupid “oh bring a ‘friend’ back to wow and give them 30 day subscription” thing isn’t working for my wow account, I did see that I got an email from FFXIV for a free 96 hour play time, so figure I’d take them up on their offer.

Now I haven’t actually played in forever, I think my highest was like 30s still in like the original xpac story before I got kinda bored since I had just unlocked my first class upgrade or whatever for ninja, and was very bored how it still mostly used the prior class’s attacks and like 1 new button.

So in these 96 hours, kinda want to see if I can reignite any interest with a different dps class, any suggestions? Is it even worth it/practical to level up or should I just cut my losses and get a boost or something to max level? Really don’t want to go through how many year’s worth of stuff to catch up.
    The thing is is that most classes only really only give you a solid half of the kit you'd want at level 50, with the rest sprinkled out throughout the rest of the game. Most gap closers for tanks, for example, aren't available until the 60-70 realm depending on the tank. But with that said, I think you're kinda looking at this through WoW brain still, which is 'what's the most interesting class to level up fast with.'

It's been said before, but let me do so again for you in mentioning the fact that FF14's main attraction isn't the end game, it's the journey along the way. The story, the characters, and the music you'll get exposed to throughout the adventure are honestly worth it instead of just boosting up to max level and skipping all that.

That said, if you don't care for story at all and are just wanting a max toon now no matter what? I'd suggest actually sticking with Ninja. From what I've been told and seen, it's probably one of the closest DPS classes in the game that's like playing a WoW character with it's actions per minute. It's just that at this point, they drip feed you abilities.

XIV is notoriously slow to get rolling. Many classes really are just a few buttons with a 2.5 GCD for almost the entirety of the pre-expansion game. (Up to 50)

That said, yes, you have many years worth of expansion storyline to go through. If that doesn't interest you at all, you could go with a skip, though I'd say at least give it a shot through Heavensward. Yes, early ARR can be a bit painful, but the mantra of veteran players to potential new players has always been, "It gets better!"

All classes have the issue you talk about, where getting the new advanced class doesn't give you much at the beginning and are drip fed abilities throughout the leveling experience with most classes not getting their full/ interesting parts of their kit until the level 60-70 range. Stick with Ninja, IMO. It's one of the most involved and enjoyable melee DPS classes.

If you are going to boost you'll need to buy two things. Level boosts and story skips are separate things, so if you want to get to end game quickly you'll need to get both the level boost one and the story skip one to skip through whatever story you're not interested in. And even then, you'll still be required to play through the Endwalker story before getting to the end game.

Alright thanks for the feedback all, guess I’ll stick with it and try to advance some more in the story from where I’m at

15+ Year Old Account
    1. Mentoring new players in dungeons and trials.
    2. It matches mentors with sprouts who are in queue, meaning that sprouts get slightly faster queues than the normal person, so there's less waiting for people who are probably new to the game.

3. If you don't care about helping others, there's titles and a mount I guess?
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

I suppose thats true if you're a relatively new player. I've got 5k commendations at this point and I expect anyone who's been around for an expansion or two has a 1.5k at least.

As for the other unlocks, you'd only need to get one job of each type to 90 to complete the quests for the other unlock criteria - Assuming you'd not unlocked it prior to Endwalker already.

As for the rewards, I understand it gives you some pretty hefty experience for FATEs and Dungeons. May or may not be useful depending on what point you are in game. There is also a mount and title, which are things players seem to like collecting too. Lots of incentives to use the system that don't always line up with helping new players.

You can cap Aphorism tomestones with an expert roulette a day for 5 days, why else would you run them?
    I don't always have the option to do an Expert a day, so I make up the difference by doing other roulettes. I'd guess its a position lots of other players are in too. Plus it usually serves up some pretty varied content too, which is nice. The Expert dungeons get old after a while.
    Last edited by StrawberryZebra; 2022-06-17 at 09:18 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    If i have a bit of time to play it can even happen that i do 5 experts in one setting - not only due to soulbinds (which is a nice trickle of money) but because its just fun playing my job at max lvl.

Ironically i do a lot of content which i don't need just because i have fun doing it (doing savages multiple times a week for example)

Ugh, curse the day i discovered custom deliveries, im kinda obsessed with those things now

Question for anyone who has them all unlocked, do you need your DoH/DoL quest for any of them?

Quote Originally Posted by Leyre View Post
    Ugh, curse the day i discovered custom deliveries, im kinda obsessed with those things now

Question for anyone who has them all unlocked, do you need your DoH/DoL quest for any of them?
    IDK what you mean by this question. What DoH/DoL quest? The relic quest? OR the job quests? AFAIK the only restrictions on being able to turn in deliveries is your ability to collect/craft the item in question. Some of the abilities you gain from those job quests might be useful in helping that ability, but I don't believe it's strictly necessary. And the later deliveries require you to unlock the earlier delivery options.

IDK what you mean by this question. What DoH/DoL quest? The relic quest? OR the job quests? AFAIK the only restrictions on being able to turn in deliveries is your ability to collect/craft the item in question. Some of the abilities you gain from those job quests might be useful in helping that ability, but I don't believe it's strictly necessary. And the later deliveries require you to unlock the earlier delivery options.
    job quest, i just powerleveled in the firmament and dont feel like doing them

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    DPS: squadron dungeons until 50, then daily alliance, Frontline, and MSQ roulettes until level 71. Then trusts until 90. If you haven't finished Bozja yet then you can level up an alt job while you are at that. If you have finished Bozja then just keep doing trusts as Bozja isn't anywhere near as fast. It will also help to watch Netflix/Youtube or listen to a podcast or get through your powermetal playlist to make the slog less tedious.

Squadron guide:
    Spoiler: 

Ofcourse, if you actually stay at your computer and help DPS, then the dungeon will go much, much faster, at most as long as it would have taken to do it with other players, if not faster (and, ofcourse, you didn't have to wait in queue just to get in). The archers do a lot of DPS.

For tanks and healers, you just spam dungeon roulette until 90.

Beast tribes give a pittance of exp and aren't worth doing for the exp alone, only if you are trying to complete the story to get the mount.
    Dont give advice when you dont know what the fuck you're talking about.

1) dungeon roulettes are a massive waste of time outside of the daily bonus. If you're going to dungeon spam, only do the highest level one you can do. Eat an egg.
    2) beast tribes for ShB and EW give massive xp, dipshit. easily half/75% of a level for 5 minutes of flying.
    3) bozja, and more specificly CHADnor is the absolute fastest way to level. Trusts? You are retarded my friend. A single bozja fate equals 1 bosskill, and these fates get nuked down in 1 minute in a group. You literally run in a circle dabbing on fates, slurping up hot loads of XP Critical engagements give big XP so do them always. You can also get expensive shit from the lockboxes.

Quote Originally Posted by StrawberryZebra View Post
    That's a fix for connection issues, not Netcoding. While I do understand the need for something like this to allow players to double weave when it's needed, it's not really relevent to the problem.

My issue with it is more that the server and my client often end up out of sync and the time it takes to rectify that can sometimes leave you bad situations. Like when you're trying to round up mobs with Sprint and the AoE skill you used activates in a different place to where your character model is. Or how you sometimes get hit by things upto a second after you've moved out of it because it cycles through everyone who was hit and resolves them sequentially and you just happened to be the last player it resolves for. Or any one of a long list of issues where your client and the server don't quite match up and you end up getting screwed because of it.

Again, it's not just the netcode that's causing the issue. Some of this stems from how the servers are set up, some from the game engine and some from player hardware.
    I love having my LB animation locking me in place 20 seconds after using it in frontlines, often meaning i will get killed.
    Got i hate frontlines and this shitty ass game's shitty ass spagetti code and game engine.

The best part is people will STILL deny any of these issues despite the fact they can quite literally stop casting half a second before the cast completes, and the dogshit game will still think the cast finished.

This also causes massive problems in pvp, where any single celled amoebe can completely cuck a caster by backpaddling out of range, forcing you, a squishy caster, to get in balls deep to get a cast off.

Quote Originally Posted by Caprias View Post
    I'm leveling my missing jobs from 1-90 now which are 2 tanks and 2 healers and christ why are so many veterans so fricking garbage?

Like sprouts and returners I won't pay attention to but how can you have veterans with several level 90 jobs and/or the burgerking crown that still:
    1.) Do not know how to press their god damn 1,2,3 (1,2,1,3, for our freestyle SAMs) AoE buttons when there are 3+ enemys present (I heard that happens quite often in w2w pulls)
    2.) Do not use cooldowns at all, I don't ask for optimal cooldown usage but if you tank/heal w2w without using cd's (bonus points for the everything in one macro clown tanks) you're just asking for a wipe.
    3.) Fail simple mechanics in level dungeons repeatedly they must've run dozens of times.
    4.) DDs somehow failing their basic job kits so hard (goes hand in hand with not pressing aoe buttons) that despite adequate gear pulls take long enough for tank+healer to run out of defensive cooldowns and dungeon bosses taking as long as a savage raid boss.

I very much enjoy and partake in the positive overall environment in dungeons and will generally start to pull slower as a tank with sprout healers/groups by default, but the amount of braindead veteran/mentor players I've seen in the last few weeks make me miss to just call them out and kick them like you'd do in WoW a bit.
    Mentors? My dude, 90% of people in this game are absolute braindead troglodytes.
    Yoshida in his infinite stupidity added cosmetic rewards to mentor roulettes, so now all those subhuman vapid braindead limsa idlers are queing as mentors.

The requirements for being a mentor are asinine, especially in this carebear hugbox game. 1.5k epic leddit upboats.
    Good players arent sticking around for someone to use the jank upboat system on them. THey're done and gone.

The only good players ive seen so far are former wow players.

Everyone else is a mix of "no defensive CD's used / dont aoe / using their single braincell on their super complicated dps rotation consisting of pressing Glare, so they forgot to heal and people die"
    had a lvl 86 redmage today. Single casting jolt2 on massive aoe packs. Didnt know veraero2 was an aoe.
    Tank that didnt know what arms lenght was. at 90.

And then these "people" will have an autismo sperg chimpout if you dare question them.
    Last edited by Blizzaga; 2022-06-24 at 05:33 AM.

You should do them. There's abilities locked behind them, and iirc, the level 55 one is pretty damn good (though I can't remember which one it is at the moment).

Yes.
    Otherwise you miss abilities. Atleast the 60-70 ones are way easier, as you just get the materials as you get the quests