Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Well, yeah, but again, he’s just saying that they can’t ban girls/women from traveling from state to state, not that they won’t be punished once they return and it’s found out that they received an abortion where it’s legal, as well as any person that helped them.
    I don't think any of states have laws that will criminalize women for having abortion. Although some of the pre-Roe legacy laws might. Most of the laws are intended to punish the service providers. We'll have to wait and see if they are going to criminalize the women.

The list of companies that will provide reimbursement for legal abortions is growing fast - Condé Nast, Apple, Microsoft, Disney, Warner Brothers, Paramount, Comcast, Netflix, Sony, Meta, Zillow, Patagonia, Intuit, Bank of America, Mastercard, JP Morgan Chase, Citigroup, DoorDash, Duolingo, BuzzFeed, Box, Johnson & Johnson, Yelp, Tesla, Reddit, Amazon, Levi's, Airbnb, PayPal, Tesla. Not a comprehensive list.

10+ Year Old Account
    Exceptional idiocy. That's what happens when country is ran by decrepit fools and is in a state of constant mutual slapfest over bullshit.

What next brilliant idea is on the menu? Segregation?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    Exceptional idiocy. That's what happens when country is ran by decrepit fools and is in a state of constant mutual slapfest over bullshit.

I think they'll start with removing same sex marriage

It's a good thing it got overturned, it never had a solid legal basis in the first place and completely harmstringed the trend of states trying to codify it into a proper law.

I hope legislators pick up the pace once again, screaming about fascists on twitters is cute and all but they knew this day was coming and had 50 years to do it.

I guess beyond satisfying their constituents and their own perverse ideology (if they even have one and it's not just performative) the greatest gain is effective forcing democrat voters out of red states that they could possibly flip. Wealthier people who can afford to move will now consider moving since taking a risk with your body autonomy not to mention your freedom is just not a sacrifice you are willing to make so that there can be one more blue vote in e.g. Texas. Poor women and especially poor women of color will ofc suffer the most since they both cannot leave and have the hardest time to vote so the GOP doesn't care if they stay anyway. Would their states get poorer? More federal funds that the mostly (entirely?) white people in power in those states can redirect to their wallets.

If the GOP controls all levels of government in 2024 which is not at all an improbable proposition who knows how far they can push the envelope?

There should be Vietnam level protests for this. Because the number of women who will die from botched abortions will surely surpass the men that died in Vietnam. Is it going to happen? Don't see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gangresnake View Post
    It's a good thing it got overturned, it never had a solid legal basis in the first place and completely harmstringed the trend of states trying to codify it into a proper law.
    "Proper law", like Texas' "You gonna have you rapist's baby!"-law?
    “There you stand, the good man doing nothing. And while evil triumphs, and your rigid pacifism crumbles to blood stained dust, the only victory afforded to you is that you stuck true to your guns.”

Quote Originally Posted by VMSmith View Post
    I know I'll catch shit for saying this, but the disappointment with Democrats is so intense that I honestly see no point in voting any longer. Even if they were handed an 80-20 majority in the Senate, I do not believe they would do anything to fix this. There'd just be 30 Joe Manchin's all struggling for their moment in the limelight. Or they'd find some other excuse to cock it up, like wanting it to be "bipartisan" or some such stupid ass nonsense. And, as you mentioned, shit like this is great for fundraising, which is all they truly care about.

No, the Democrats are not the solution. Voting is not the solution. They've got the system locked down and will never lack enough power to shape things the way they want them. Short of an actual uprising, I see nothing changing, and the masses are far too pacified for that to ever happen.
    Eh I am sorry but did the Democrats ever have an effective opportunity to do anything serious in the last two decades? I think they only had actual control in the first two years of Obama's first term right? At least by voting you can hope to keep the status quo from deteriorating further. Not doing anything is only really an option if you are wealthy and/or leave in a safe blue state.

Seriously people, no one said you should do civil disobedience (at this stage you should), just spend a few minutes/hours every two years to vote.
    Last edited by Nymrohd; 2022-06-25 at 08:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mekh View Post
    "Proper law", like Texas' "You gonna have you rapist's baby!"-law?
    Sure, or like california 26 weeks abortion. Let the state decide, eventually democracy will prevail.
    This ruling is just the SC declaring that abortion legality isnt up to them to decide. There's nothing stopping legislation to be passed at state or federal level.

You cannot be a negative age therefore a fetus is not alive!

Also overturning Roe wasn’t the endgame.

The GOP congress next term will suspend filibuster and outlaw abortion by federal law.

Game Set Match, it’s over.
    Last edited by relaxok; 2022-06-25 at 09:09 AM.

Let the state decide, eventually democracy will prevail.
    This ruling is just the SC declaring that abortion legality isnt up to them to decide. There's nothing stopping legislation to be passed at state or federal level.
    There's nothing stopping the SCOTUS theocrats from declaring that the federal government has no standing to legalize abortion nationwide against the will of the states. Democracy is irrelevant.

Can I apply for refugee status in Canada yet?
    World needs more Goblin Warriors https://i.imgur.com/WKs8aJA.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by relaxok View Post
    You cannot be a negative age therefore a fetus is not alive!

Also overturning Roe wasn’t the endgame.

The GOP congress next term will suspend filibuster and outlaw abortion by federal law.

Game Set Match, it’s over.
    I guess that's the point the US should be over and some states should secede?

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    There's nothing stopping the SCOTUS theocrats from declaring that the federal government has no standing to legalize abortion nationwide against the will of the states. Democracy is irrelevant.
    Sure there is. They reason they overturned RvW was basically due to the way the original ruling was hinged on the 14th amendment. A new law would just be that a new law. It wouldn't need to be tied to that clause becasue it would be a law not a SCOTUS ruling. That would be saying It would be unconstitutional for there to be a federal murder charge if a state decides to legalize murder.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    I don't think any of states have laws that will criminalize women for having abortion. Although some of the pre-Roe legacy laws might. Most of the laws are intended to punish the service providers. We'll have to wait and see if they are going to criminalize the women.
    I thought they already tried to do that.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post

The list of companies that will provide reimbursement for legal abortions is growing fast - Condé Nast, Apple, Microsoft, Disney, Warner Brothers, Paramount, Comcast, Netflix, Sony, Meta, Zillow, Patagonia, Intuit, Bank of America, Mastercard, JP Morgan Chase, Citigroup, DoorDash, Duolingo, BuzzFeed, Box, Johnson & Johnson, Yelp, Tesla, Reddit, Amazon, Levi's, Airbnb, PayPal, Tesla. Not a comprehensive list.
    TX, OK, TN, MO to name a few.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post

Not even a hint of self awareness.

Sure, or like california 26 weeks abortion. Let the state decide, eventually democracy will prevail.
    "It's okay that in large swaths of the US that women (and soon gays, trans, and minorities) have less rights until it fixes itself." That's.....not a good thing in the least bit and if you think that's a silver lining I can only wonder what a perfect scenario is.

Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

Quote Originally Posted by Beefhammer View Post
    A new law would just be that a new law. It wouldn't need to be tied to that clause becasue it would be a law not a SCOTUS ruling. That would be saying It would be unconstitutional for there to be a federal murder charge if a state decides to legalize murder.
    A new law could be ruled unconstitutional.

And I hope you’re not saying that the SCOTUS wouldn’t rule state laws allowing abortion to be unconstitutional if/when the GOP pushes through a federal ban...

And I hope you’re not saying that the SCOTUS wouldn’t rule state laws allowing abortion to be unconstitutional if/when the GOP pushes through a federal ban...
    I think some people are still under delusions that the supreme court is not pulling things out of its ass.

7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away

It could, however, if the Democrats get a Super majority in the Senate, they could pass the Right to Privacy as a Constitutional Amendment and include Medical privacy in it.

Sadly, that won't happened.

This ruling makes no sense. I cannot believe people are so stupid to think that Roe v Wade was the Federal Government controlling abortion and not a ruling saying it was an individual's right.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    I think some people are still under delusions that the supreme court is not pulling things out of its ass.
    Pretty much, the 10th Amendment does not say powers unlisted are given to the states, but rather the states and the people.
    The ruling in Roe v Wade was justify as a right of the people, not the new ruling says a state can determine if it is legal.
    It actually stripped people of a right while saying the people have more power now.

It is garbage. It was passed by 4 liars and a judge married to a traitor to everything the US stands for. They should all be impeached and removed, but they will not because the Republicans in the Senate will not care.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code