Page 78 of 89 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    I would like to see that.

It won't happen, but it would be interesting.
    Like, the single biggest problem with Star Wars as it currently stands is the weight of the canon lore.

Move the timeline forward, rather than back, and you've got a blank slate to do anything you want. You'll want to keep the broadest strokes; the Force, Light vs Dark, heroic journey pacing. The rest? Leave it behind as legend. Any misalignment with canon can be hand-waved off as interpretations that changed, or knowledge that was lost/twisted, or any number of things. You'll want to keep some things true; you'll still want lightsabers, you may want some touchstones like a new Mandalore (though you're free to take that in ANY direction). The rest, let the Republic era be as well-understood as ancient Sumer is today. They know it existed, and that it fell, but if you ask the average joe, they'd struggle to even remember the names of places like Coruscant.

Nor do you have a problem with technological development; not only are you setting this emerging from a "dark age", but the history of the Republic goes back like 30,000 years, canonically. Droid tech's been around that long, and IIRC predates human civilization, at least at the spacefaring level (not a human creation, so that's not a conflict). Star Wars' technology has always been fairly static and unchanging.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Eh, I'd leave the Old Republic behind entirely. Move a thousand years into the future (or more). The galaxy is coming out of an era of decline; there is no unity, but regular military clashes between a half-dozen nascent collectives plus dozens of minor factions. The Jedi and Sith, and even the Force, are things of myth and legend; forgotten and dismissed.

The main character's a young man who feels a draw to the wilderness near his family's hydroponics farm. Wandering one day, he finds a forgotten cave entrance, and as he makes his way inside, the walls become more-and-more regular, carved rather than natural, and in the center, he finds a Holocron, that whispers to him of ancient forgotten mysteries and how his emergent abilities can be mastered. Simultaneously, another child across the galaxy is having a similar experience, but the Sith temple they find is whispering quite different things into their ears.

Wipe the whole damned slate, and give them a fractured Galaxy to rebuild, new orders to found (because these two would be the first, not the only), and all-new aspects to explore, particularly as one (or both!) reject or challenge some of the old conceits or teachings.
    Sign me in please. Why cant they simply do that ?

What i would like to see also is old-republic like war between sith and jedi both having srong forces and not one being completly dominant but actually in the future with completly new lore.

7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Like, the single biggest problem with Star Wars as it currently stands is the weight of the canon lore.

Move the timeline forward, rather than back, and you've got a blank slate to do anything you want. You'll want to keep the broadest strokes; the Force, Light vs Dark, heroic journey pacing. The rest? Leave it behind as legend. Any misalignment with canon can be hand-waved off as interpretations that changed, or knowledge that was lost/twisted, or any number of things. You'll want to keep some things true; you'll still want lightsabers, you may want some touchstones like a new Mandalore (though you're free to take that in ANY direction). The rest, let the Republic era be as well-understood as ancient Sumer is today. They know it existed, and that it fell, but if you ask the average joe, they'd struggle to even remember the names of places like Coruscant.

Nor do you have a problem with technological development; not only are you setting this emerging from a "dark age", but the history of the Republic goes back like 30,000 years, canonically. Droid tech's been around that long, and IIRC predates human civilization, at least at the spacefaring level (not a human creation, so that's not a conflict). Star Wars' technology has always been fairly static and unchanging.
    I mean it could work. Have it where it is like 500 years where the "new republic" fell apart and there are a variety of factions in the world. A thousand plus years from Rise of Skywalker. You could do a lot of cool things. No major conflicts and relative peace, but discovery of lesson from old.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

10+ Year Old Account
    I really liked the ending. I honestly feel like this was a series that started weak, but improved the longer you watched it. I really enjoyed it.
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinpachi View Post
    Seeing as how bacta doesn't decay
    Yeah, right. Where are you seeing that exactly?
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Eh, I'd leave the Old Republic behind entirely. Move a thousand years into the future (or more). The galaxy is coming out of an era of decline; there is no unity, but regular military clashes between a half-dozen nascent collectives plus dozens of minor factions. The Jedi and Sith, and even the Force, are things of myth and legend; forgotten and dismissed.

The main character's a young man who feels a draw to the wilderness near his family's hydroponics farm. Wandering one day, he finds a forgotten cave entrance, and as he makes his way inside, the walls become more-and-more regular, carved rather than natural, and in the center, he finds a Holocron, that whispers to him of ancient forgotten mysteries and how his emergent abilities can be mastered. Simultaneously, another child across the galaxy is having a similar experience, but the Sith temple they find is whispering quite different things into their ears.

Wipe the whole damned slate, and give them a fractured Galaxy to rebuild, new orders to found (because these two would be the first, not the only), and all-new aspects to explore, particularly as one (or both!) reject or challenge some of the old conceits or teachings.
    i could get down with this. make it happen bruh

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    Yeah, right. Where are you seeing that exactly?
    If you have to ask you'll never know.

5+ Year Old Account
    A couple points;

1> The Emperor's primary concern is not the Empire, it's the Dark Side.
    Are you new to star wars? Empire is their one goal, centralization, dictating all, dark side is just a tool for that.

5+ Year Old Account
    I have to say I'm very disappointed by this show. It has a few good moments, but overall it's rather dull.

I expected much more.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinpachi View Post
    If you have to ask you'll never know.
    You got it backwards. To know is to ask.
    But I'll take your answer as "I made it up" for now.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

The big idea from the guy lecturing everyone on how they "don't actually like Star Wars" is to just burn it all down? Gosh!

7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost of Cow View Post
    The big idea from the guy lecturing everyone on how they "don't actually like Star Wars" is to just burn it all down? Gosh!
    That's the problem. People have the expectations of how Luke should act when he appears or how Vader should behave.
    By moving away from the current movies, you don't have that argument.

You can keep the tropes, but now those tropes don't come with expectations that the current content has.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

The Lightbringer
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    That's the problem. People have the expectations of how Luke should act when he appears or how Vader should behave.
    By moving away from the current movies, you don't have that argument.

You can keep the tropes, but now those tropes don't come with expectations that the current content has.
    Expectations from fans will remain. "But... but... Luke (Vader, Thrawn, Yoda, whoever...)" depends on every single person.

Thing is, Disney has to move things from tropes and low IQ stories to better narratives inside the SW universe.
    /spit@Blizzard

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost of Cow View Post
    Not to burn it all down. To move to a point in the timeline where there's some room to breathe, without worrying if you'll run up against anything pre-established.

This isn't unique to Star Wars, any extended universe eventually runs into this. Star Trek sure does. Marvel and DC have to regularly "reset" their multiverses to try and keep things under control.

It's not about that canon being bad/flawed, it's just the massive tangled weight of it all.

If you want to make an equivalent to building a house, I'm saying the Star Wars house is 13 stories tall and has 3 stables (one for rabbits and only rabbits), 5 towers that are all different architectural styles, and 43 decks, many of which aren't even connected to the house, proper. There's four front doors and it's built on a missile silo and we haven't even gotten into the underground bunker's features.

Rather than try and figure out what you can add to that mess that would be a useful and meaningful addition, you build a new house down the road a bit. You don't burn the original house down, at all; it's still there for people who want to visit. And you're still on the same property, working the same land, but your new house is all your own and you can build it mostly however you want.
    Last edited by Endus; 2022-06-25 at 07:18 PM.

Not to burn it all down. To move to a point in the timeline where there's some room to breathe, without worrying if you'll run up against anything pre-established.

This isn't unique to Star Wars, any extended universe eventually runs into this. Star Trek sure does. Marvel and DC have to regularly "reset" their multiverses to try and keep things under control.

It's not about that canon being bad/flawed, it's just the massive tangled weight of it all.

If you want to make an equivalent to building a house, I'm saying the Star Wars house is 13 stories tall and has 3 stables (one for rabbits and only rabbits), 5 towers that are all different architectural styles, and 43 decks, many of which aren't even connected to the house, proper. There's four front doors and it's built on a missile silo and we haven't even gotten into the underground bunker's features.

Rather than try and figure out what you can add to that mess that would be a useful and meaningful addition, you build a new house down the road a bit. You don't burn the original house down, at all; it's still there for people who want to visit. And you're still on the same property, working the same land, but your new house is all your own and you can build it mostly however you want.
    Fine, fine, it's a good answer.

I was mostly just pulling your leg, for the record.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyah View Post
    Sign me in please. Why cant they simply do that ?
    I think they feel they need to be able to bring known characters into everything. Too afraid of failure to create new characters. Din Djarin is an absolute fan favorite, Reva not so much. Without the ability to drop known favorites into shows (imo Grogu was chosen to be Yodas race for this specific reason) there is no fallback.

That said, I would be on board with new stories set in the future of everything that was Star Wars so far.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Twdft View Post
    That said, I would be on board with new stories set in the future of everything that was Star Wars so far.
    You can still have fun references, too. Maybe it's 1000 years post-Yavin, and the hero/budding NuJedi finds a 500-year-old Holocron referencing "the Skywalker". He's got no idea what that is. The audience has suspicions, but which Skywalker? And is the Holocron even accurate, written 500 years after the Skywalker era? Maybe it's referencing one of Rey's descendants, even. You never need to answer that, but just using "Skywalker" will get fans talking.

The problem with setting the stories away from anything you've seen before is that the people they hire to write and develop these properties are so utterly untalented that they HAVE to have established properties to ruin because if they make their own stories with no ties to established stories, nobody watches it.

The people they have now making these could not make things people would watch if they didn't couch it in "hey remember that thing you loved when it was good? watch our take on it even though you know we'll ruin it"

So, so many of the remake/update/new content of established IPs is just bad writers and directors trying to force their shit stories into a framework of an established IP, ruining the IP in the process.

The best solution is:

A) Hire people based on talent
    B) Make content that is either 1) new or 2) fitting with the IP your adding to

The way its done now is if I said I'm rebooting the show Pretty Little Liars as a monster truck rally, but I'll use names you remember so watch my show.

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Man, reading through the last bunch of pages, I would swear that most people (generally the whiny ones) don't actually know what good writing is.

And anyone bringing up Kathleen Kennedy to be negative can be immediately dismissed. Pretty obvious what the goal for people like that is and its amazingly pathetic.
    You know I nearly took the bait..... good job, I almost thought you were dumb enough to be serious.

I would swear that most people don't actually know what good writing is.
    The Obi-Wan series was perfectly fine
    This doesn't add up.
    "yOu aRe wRoNg" - Darththeo

Quote Originally Posted by Relikk View Post
    This doesn't add up.
    It rarely does with people like him.

Though the irony that his posts indicates he is not American, yet thinks that Americans actually like the crap Disney Star Wars puts out any more than anywhere else.

Disney hasn't put out a good Star Wars product. The prequels were the last decent products for Star Wars and those are stretching the term "decent".

Everything since Disney has taken over has been utter crap.

(oh and I appreciate the comment on my name, its been said before and its relatively accurate. I grumble alot because people keep producing crap and showing it off like its impressive. I think the name UnifiedDivide is absolutely perfect though. It immediately conjures up the image of a (|) in a very inventive way, so kudos!)