Quote Originally Posted by Mekh View Post
    Even the fascists? Cool story bro.
    For too long in this society we have celebrated unrestrained individualism over common community

Quote Originally Posted by tikcol View Post
    The American story depends not on any one of us, not on some of us, but on all of us.
    shut up, Nazbol.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkTZeratul View Post
    That's nice but when some of us are trying to fuck over the rest of us, we can't just shrug and say "oh well, we'll live and let live while they make damn sure we can only live the way they tell us we can."
    The time of the gathering is almost at hand.

For too long in this society we have celebrated unrestrained individualism over common community
    Did you buy like a box of Federalist Fortune Cookies?
    “There you stand, the good man doing nothing. And while evil triumphs, and your rigid pacifism crumbles to blood stained dust, the only victory afforded to you is that you stuck true to your guns.”

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blur4stuff View Post
    I'm not sure what else that could have happened to more motivate people to vote dem this November. This one ruling will likely make the difference in several house seats being won and maybe a few in the senate.

If inflation cools off and gas prices go down over the next few months this could be a devastating election for republicans when it previously seemed like the opposite.
    But it won't really matter anymore. The GQP owns the Court now, 6-3, and women's rights and separation of church and state will slowly erode, for decades. Not matter what the Dems can do.

I mean, sure, we might see an uptick in Dem votes, but we're probably still going to lose the House, and perhaps even the Senate. And 2024 is still looming ahead.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    You think they won't want/try to ban generics?
    I think they will try, but will have problems identifying it. Ordering stuff from Canada, say, can be done without The State knowing what the medications are. I'm not 100% sure, however, how any of this will play out. I'm just looking for some hope.

- - - Updated - - -

They are gearing up for the next round. I think @Levelfive has a post about the Federalists building an argument for Christian domination.

7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    But it won't really matter anymore. The GQP owns the Court now, 6-3, and women's rights and separation of church and state will slowly erode, for decades. Not matter what the Dems can do.
    There was already another ruling to erode the separation of church and state.

They just ruled that a school could not punish a coach for leading prayer after a football game.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    There was already another ruling to erode the separation of church and state.

They just ruled that a school could not punish a coach for leading prayer after a football game.
    Exactly, that's what I was referencing (should have linked the ruling though). We'll see Privacy disappear entirely in the next couple of decades as well.

The two recent sep of church/state are the prayer and vouchers, iirc.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkTZeratul View Post
    That's nice but when some of us are trying to fuck over the rest of us, we can't just shrug and say "oh well, we'll live and let live while they make damn sure we can only live the way they tell us we can."
    If you're walking down the right path and you're willing to keep walking, eventually you'll make progress.

- - - Updated - - -

It's about uniting all Americans.

It's about uniting all Americans.

Reminder, one political party is filled with members who desperately want to have the legal right to murder their fellow American because they're diseased conspiracy theorists.

7+ Year Old Account
    Exactly, that's what I was referencing (should have linked the ruling though). We'll see Privacy disappear entirely in the next couple of decades as well.

The two recent sep of church/state are the prayer and vouchers, iirc.
    So many people are celebrating these decision, it bothers me so much.

People are calling the latest one a "Win for the 1st Amendment" not understanding why government and school employees cannot appear to endorse a religions. There were players saying that they felt forced to participate in the prayer in order to keep playing. This is why staff lead prayer isn't allowed, regardless of if being true or not, the fact the staff has a position of authority over the player/student, it makes them feel like they have to participate.

The coach was free to pray and participate with players, just not lead.

I hate saying this, but these past few court decisions make me glad my mother isn't around to see it. I do not like this feeling.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

Reminder, one political party is filled with members who desperately want to have the legal right to murder their fellow American because they're diseased conspiracy theorists.
    What I believe unites the people of this nation, regardless of race or region or party, young or old, rich or poor, is the simple, profound belief in opportunity for all.

The notion that if you work hard and take responsibility, you can make it. Focus on what joins us together before on what sets us apart.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    So many people are celebrating these decision, it bothers me so much.

People are calling the latest one a "Win for the 1st Amendment" not understanding why government and school employees cannot appear to endorse a religions. There were players saying that they felt forced to participate in the prayer in order to keep playing. This is why staff lead prayer isn't allowed, regardless of if being true or not, the fact the staff has a position of authority over the player/student, it makes them feel like they have to participate.

The coach was free to pray and participate with players, just not lead.

I hate saying this, but these past few court decisions make me glad my mother isn't around to see it. I do not like this feeling.
    It's horrific. And should only get worse. The court is going to be 6-3 Conservative/GQP for at least another decade, unless Thomas strokes out - and he's too happy for that to happen.

(I agree with your analysis re coach and prayer and the issue overall - most sane minds do. What's horrifying is how the Court wrote the opinion, as "Freedom of Religion" - it's like they don't understand what they are doing anymore)

What I believe unites the people of this nation, regardless of race or region or party, young or old, rich or poor, is the simple, profound belief in opportunity for all.

The notion that if you work hard and take responsibility, you can make it. Focus on what joins us together before on what sets us apart.
    What does this have to do with Roe v Wade though?
    “There you stand, the good man doing nothing. And while evil triumphs, and your rigid pacifism crumbles to blood stained dust, the only victory afforded to you is that you stuck true to your guns.”

They are gearing up for the next round. I think @Levelfive has a post about the Federalists building an argument for Christian domination.
    Yeah, they're trying to get it added to RICO stuff now, too, which I had seen rumblings of earlier, and which I should have realized they were leading up to just based on the very particular phrasing they all started using at the same time. Here's a look at the wording in the article Edge linked, some of which you'll recognize from the Texas case:

"The group also is pushing for states to restrict those "conspiring to cause, or aiding or abetting, illegal abortions," the "trafficking" of abortion-inducing drugs and "abortion trafficking" of a minor.

The proposal suggests that criminal penalties should extend to individuals who aid or abet illegal abortions, which would include giving instructions about self-administered abortions or means of obtaining an "illegal abortion" over the phone, the internet or another form of communication. The group suggests criminal penalties should also include hosting or maintaining a website that "encourages or facilitates efforts to obtain an illegal abortion," offering or providing "abortion doula" services and making referrals to an abortion provider."
    Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition, to wit: There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect. There is nothing more or else to it, and there never has been, in any place or time. --Frank Wilhoit

This belief is not held by the Republican party.

This hasn't been true for generations. It's a myth that Republicans love to continue pushing because it convinces all the rural folks that they're just temporarily dispossessed millionaires.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Levelfive View Post
    Yeah, they're trying to get it added to RICO stuff now, too, which I had seen rumblings of earlier, and which I should have realized they were leading up to just based on the very particular phrasing they all started using at the same time. Here's a look at the wording in the article Edge linked, some of which you'll recognize from the Texas case:

"The group also is pushing for states to restrict those "conspiring to cause, or aiding or abetting, illegal abortions," the "trafficking" of abortion-inducing drugs and "abortion trafficking" of a minor.

The proposal suggests that criminal penalties should extend to individuals who aid or abet illegal abortions, which would include giving instructions about self-administered abortions or means of obtaining an "illegal abortion" over the phone, the internet or another form of communication. The group suggests criminal penalties should also include hosting or maintaining a website that "encourages or facilitates efforts to obtain an illegal abortion," offering or providing "abortion doula" services and making referrals to an abortion provider."
    And this is how they will dive into destroying our privacy.

Plus - we'll see a national anti-abortion bill as soon as the next Congress convenes in 2023. If the Senate flips, the Filibuster will disappear faster than you can say Moscow Mitch, and we'll see bills getting sent for Veto to Biden, to further embolden the GQP for the 2024 election.

If anybody needs me, I'll be updating my notes on how to immigrate to Canada.

- - - Updated - - -

This hasn't been true for generations. It's a myth that Republicans love to continue pushing because it convinces all the rural folks that they're just temporarily dispossessed millionaires.
    It's also why he's saying it. He knows that, and is pushing this as a slow trollop, to either bait us or just be that guy. The fact that our rights are eroding on an almost daily basis is horrifying, and this guy is citing the Federalist Society as if they weren't the culprits.

As a nation we don't promise equal outcomes. But we were founded on the idea everybody should have an equal opportunity to succeed. No matter who you are, what you look like, where you come from, you can make it. That's an essential promise of America. Where you start should not determine where you end up.

We can make it happen together.

As a nation we don't promise equal outcomes. But we were founded on the idea everybody should have an equal opportunity to succeed. No matter who you are, what you look like, where you come from, you can make it. That's an essential promise of America. Where you start should not determine where you end up.

We can make it happen together.
    This is of course nonsense, but why again are you spouting it here? How does it relate to the topic? Please stop derailing.

Quote Originally Posted by Minifie View Post
    Shame the current supreme court disagrees with you.
    The Supreme Court is the last line of defense for the separation of powers and for the rights and liberties guaranteed by the Constitution.

7+ Year Old Account
    While this is our ideal, we have failed constantly to live up to it. Some people have to do more to get to the same step.

I had a much easier life than friends of mine solely because I was born in a family where both my parents had good jobs (at least until my dad lost his). Both my parents were college educated and owned a home. I wasn't constantly moving apartments or dealing with a sick parent. Other people I know weren't so lucky.

We like to think just working hard is enough, but it isn't and never has been.
    –The Sith Code