Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valkyrst View Post
    How does the game made for the Chinese audience get banned in China...
    When your Social Media makes fun of Glorious Leader on Glorious Leader's Social Media Mouthpiece
    We're all newbs, some are just more newbier than others.

Just a burned out hardcore raider turned casual.
    I'm tired. So very tired. Can I just lay my head on your lap and fall asleep?
    #TeamFuckEverything

every $ blizzard loses is good.

Blizzard devs love shitting on their customers on twitter and in interviews. Wouldn't surprise me if posting such a comment on their weibo account was deliberate and they thought they could actually get away with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Valkyrst View Post
    How does the game made for the Chinese audience get banned in China...
    Blizzard is learning what Hollywood has learned the hard way: you can chase after those China bucks all you want, but it means jack all if your product is so offensive that they won't see it or it gets banned.

Quote Originally Posted by Beefhammer View Post
    And in that year you have seen more than enough hyperbole a faux outrage from people on this board to know this is just one of many, will hate more just becasue it is Blizzard, topics.
    It's not faux outrage... it's just outrage.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Yayeet
    You're literally leaving out why the account got banned:

Someone flamed Xi Jingping on the official weibu account, that's the reason why, not because it's pay to win, those game practices are fairly standard in China.
    It literally wasn't known at the time of posting, which is why I said "educated guesswork but likely". It was what was being reported at the time, but has since been clarified as not the case. If the game is outright banned because of a social media post it's even more hilarious, frankly. China is one fucked up place but I'll take a win when I get one.

All that time spent and they won't ever get that chinese money. Hilarious.
    "May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce"

"May the Goddess smile upon you."

"Hero", is what they've all been saying. This world, it isn't worth the saving."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    Blizzard devs love shitting on their customers on twitter and in interviews. Wouldn't surprise me if posting such a comment on their weibo account was deliberate and they thought they could actually get away with it.
    Care to elaborate in what way a blizzard dev is involved when their chinese distribution partner fucked that one up?

Quote Originally Posted by Beefhammer View Post
    DI is like the first game in a year that Netease got a license for. Tencent is in the same boat. The license being suspended isn't likely due to monetization, but rather a Netease employee making the Winnie the Pooh comment, which got the Weibo account suspended.
    Ah, pity.
    Still it's good for companies to remember whose house they are in too, even if i am not particularly fond of China's management of it.
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Slam must be destroyed.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    I doubt it, primarily because it seemingly was a account of their chinese distribution partner, it's very unlikely that any of the people you're thinking off has access to such an account.

Second, if they are behind it, they need some serious hackerman skills to cover up their trail because it would get them fired on the spot.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fabled View Post
    All that time spent and they won't ever get that chinese money. Hilarious.
    Oh, they will. It may take a couple of weeks but 1) NetEase has said they're making some adjustments. We don't know if that's true or not but it may be. It's fun to jump to the wrong conclusion and I guess even more fun to imagine that someone at U.S. Blizzard can originate posts on the NetEase account on Weibo (which seems unlikely). 2) Someone in some ministry will be bribed. 3) NetEase will find whoever it was that started the post (or some fall person) and fire them as an apology. It's the way it works.

In any case the game will not be banned forever in China.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    Oh, they will. It may take a couple of weeks but 1) NetEase has said they're making some adjustments. We don't know if that's true or not but it may be. It's fun to jump to the wrong conclusion and I guess even more fun to imagine that someone at U.S. Blizzard can originate posts on the NetEase account on Weibo (which seems unlikely). 2) Someone in some ministry will be bribed. 3) NetEase will find whoever it was that started the post (or some fall person) and fire them as an apology. It's the way it works.

Well. Crapbaskets.

"Hero", is what they've all been saying. This world, it isn't worth the saving."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fabled View Post
    Crapbaskets.

Future Trunks: "Oh, you say that too."

DBZ Abridged reference I hope you get

Quote Originally Posted by KOUNTERPARTS View Post
    Future Trunks: "Oh, you say that too."

DBZ Abridged reference I hope you get
    Oh I do, it's where I got the phrase from

At least this has been a great case study on how easy it is to spread misinformation to an audience when it's something they want to believe.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost of Cow View Post
    At least this has been a great case study on how easy it is to spread misinformation to an audience when it's something they want to believe.
    Every single article I could find that headlined that D:I was banned in China had some paragraph near the bottom that said "we don't know this for sure." So basically someone made a Reddit post quoting someone else and a lot of people with agendas took it as Biblical truth. So it goes.

I'll be 100% honest and say that my scenario isn't based on anything factual except a knowledge of how the Chinese government tolerates corruption and the rest. Plus, after a full week, if the game were to be banned forever one would think that someone would demonstrate that. The only thing to do is to be skeptical of anything "someone" says on the internet (especially reddit unless it's a verified employee/developer/spokesperson) and wait to see what happens.

So who knows for sure. Certainly no one here.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Quote Originally Posted by loras View Post
    Ah, pity.
    Still it's good for companies to remember whose house they are in too, even if i am not particularly fond of China's management of it.
    No I agree, but this is all about a netease employee posting a disparaging post about Xi. The license has not been pulled for DI and the release date was moved to next week.

- - - Updated - - -

Could just be PR, but I've read many phones on the playable list in China are having issues with the game and that is why the game was pushed back.

The facts still remains that DI has not been banned, the license for DI has not been suspended or revoked, and the Weibo account for Netease was the only thing suspended.

Until DI is officially not allowed to be released in China, anyone suggesting it is is spewing misinformation. Ultimately it could, but as of right now, it set to release July, 7.

Quote Originally Posted by Beefhammer
    The facts still remains that DI has not been banned, the license for DI has not been suspended or revoked, and the Weibo account for Netease was the only thing suspended.

Until DI is officially not allowed to be released in China, anyone suggesting it is is spewing misinformation. Ultimately it could, but as of right now, it set to release July, 7.
    Ah ok, good to know. Thanks for informing me that saying specifically under a topic "not confirmed but educated guess" is spewing misinformation.
    Could just be PR, but I've read many phones on the playable list in China are having issues with the game and that is why the game was pushed back.
    Dude, stop spewing misinformation before it is confirmed.

I mean, do you actually notice the hypocriticism as you type it and pretend it doesn't exist or.. don't even notice it? Both of us qualified rumour as such, yet you call mine out in the same post as you assert a different one. Funny shit

There is a nonzero chance of it being banned and it would be hilarious if it was!
    Last edited by Delekii; 2022-06-29 at 04:55 AM.

Apparently (come from a reddit post so basically the least reliable source) due to this stunt Immortal is delayed indefinitely, and Netease is under investigation with their chance to get publishing licenses frozen for three years.

If this is true, Blizzard at this point needs to find another publishing partner (you cannot directly publish games in China, you need a local company) if they want to pish Immortal there in some way - they cannot waste years.

If this doesn't get solved it's going to be a huge revenue hit ofr the game, as half the money right now comes from US and this kind of games in the western market don't have a really long life cycle.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

Herald of the Titans PickleballAce's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    China is one of the countries were abortion is fully legal.
    Well yeah. That makes it easier to abort unwanted female babies.

But why are we discussing abortion in this thread?

Quote Originally Posted by uuuhname View Post
    dude, I started posting on these boards as a result of the sexual harassment case being brought to public attention. nothing Activision-Blizzard has done in the wake of that has earned them one damn iota of the benefit of the doubt, much less praise for ANYTHING they do.
    Oof. Almost 10 posts a day for a straight year just to virtue signal and tell everyone how much you don't like something. That's productive.

OT: I'm not sure praising a regime for banning a product you have the complete and total freedom to not engage with is a good thing. Particularly not when the regime in question is literally the epicentre of the monetization model itself and a substantial part of the reason it's profitable to make games in this way in the first place. If we put aside the social media post story for a second, a country that bans Diablo Immortal but allows Genshin Impact to exist is either unhappy with the level of bribery/kickbacks from Blizzard or is caving to Twitter weeb pressure rather than actually applying logical and consistent decision-making. Neither of these is praiseworthy.

The hate boner in here is hilarious, especially the first couple.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.