Page 1 of 11
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Let's guess Dragonflight's main Big Bad!

I was thinking about Dragonflight's story, and I recall the announcement event spoke that the Dragon Isles would be awakened and the dragonflights called again to protect Azeroth... but protect it from who and/or what? I noticed little has been said about threats. Nothing at all about the "Big Bad".

So... how about we try to hypothesize who or what is going to be the "Big Bad" of the Dragonflight's expansion, but let's try our best to not "invent a Jailer". In other words, let's try to stick to current canon and use the existing groups, races and characters that currently exist (or have existed) as much as possible and avoid creating entire new groups and/or villains that need a lot of the lore twisted and bent to be able to fit in.

For example: would the Twilight Hammer make a comeback and attempt to continue Deathwing's work? Maybe the Void Lords decide to take a more active role in attacking the cosmos? Maybe Sinestra is still alive and was preparing an army of Twilight Dragons? Or... the Infinite Dragonflight is going to make a big play?

So, with that said: what are your predictions about who or what is going to be "Big Bad" of the Dragonflight expansion? Against who or what do you think the dragons are being summoned to protect Azeroth?
    "Torturing someone is not an evil thing to do if it is done for good reasons" by Varodoc
    "You sit in OG/SW waiting on a Mythic+ queue" by Altmer <- Oh, the pearls in this forum...
    "They sort of did this Dragonriding, which ushered in the Dracthyr race." by Teriz <- the BS some people reach for their narratives...

10+ Year Old Account
    Murozond might be a thing. People have suggested Galakrond but I don't buy that either. Might be old god stuff but I find that just as unlikely.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

It's definitely going to be Murozond. They have been super cagey about the Bronze (never really talking or showing them or Noz at all) and they don't seem to have a "real" zone (just part of Thaldrazus) at launch, implying they could be patch content.

Nozdormu is still going to turn into Murozond, that part of the timeline never just stopped. The one thing we know is that Old Gods are involved... and as everyone but Xal'atath is dead, it's probably going to be her.

It's important to note the two dragons closest tied to the Old Gods, Black and Bronze, don't have real zones.

10+ Year Old Account
    Didn't they actually announce that Murozond was going to be the main villain...? I feel like I read it in either a blue post or the notes from one of the interviews done with developers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

Quote Originally Posted by TEHPALLYTANK View Post
    Didn't they actually announce that Murozond was going to be the main villain...? I feel like I read it in either a blue post or the notes from one of the interviews done with developers.
    It was mentioned by Scaleface who leaked most of the big stuff, including a 2022 release.

The devs have only said "you will know who the main villain is when you play".

It's going to be Steve Danuser
    "You know you that bitch when you cause all this conversation."

Quote Originally Posted by Cheezits View Post
    It's definitely going to be Murozond. They have been super cagey about the Bronze (never really talking or showing them or Noz at all) and they don't seem to have a "real" zone (just part of Thaldrazus) at launch, implying they could be patch content.

Nozdormu is still going to turn into Murozond, that part of the timeline never just stopped. The one thing we know is that Old Gods are involved... and as everyone but Xal'atath is dead, it's probably going to be her.

It's important to note the two dragons closest tied to the Old Gods, Black and Bronze, don't have real zones.
    I agree with almost all of this, but they did say that the Waking Shore is both the Red and Black zone. I also expect to see heavy Black dragon influences on the drak’thyr zone.

Murozond doesn't seem terribly likely since we killed him canonically once, which is why I'm banking on Zombie Galakrond (the ULTIMATE zombie dragon, and thus the objectively best boss ever according to WoWcrendor) or that 5 headed dragon thing that we've only heard of from I think the books? Genuinely forgot its name.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

10+ Year Old Account
    Of all the examples I put forth, I believe Murozond and the Infinite Dragonflight are the most probable choice. Despite us killing Murozond, his "birth" is still in the future, and aside from knowing there were Old God involvement, we don't know the circumstances of Nozdormu's transformation, not to mention the Infinite Dragonflight has only been used as "fodder", never being a huge threat (i.e. worthy of being a raid end boss).

There's a lot of stories that could be told with the Infinite Dragonflight.
    "Torturing someone is not an evil thing to do if it is done for good reasons" by Varodoc
    "You sit in OG/SW waiting on a Mythic+ queue" by Altmer <- Oh, the pearls in this forum...
    "They sort of did this Dragonriding, which ushered in the Dracthyr race." by Teriz <- the BS some people reach for their narratives...

Quote Originally Posted by Villager720 View Post
    I agree with almost all of this, but they did say that the Waking Shore is both the Red and Black zone. I also expect to see heavy Black dragon influences on the drak’thyr zone.
    Yeah, Black is part of the Red zone and has a dungeon, but its the same way as that the Bronze doesn't have a full zone.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    Murozond doesn't seem terribly likely since we killed him canonically once,
    They're time-travelers. Killing him doesn't necessarily mean we won't see him again. We would likely see a "younger version" of him, from before he was killed.

Murozond doesn't seem terribly likely since we killed him canonically once, which is why I'm banking on Zombie Galakrond (the ULTIMATE zombie dragon, and thus the objectively best boss ever according to WoWcrendor) or that 5 headed dragon thing that we've only heard of from I think the books? Genuinely forgot its name.
    If its Murozond we wouldn't actually kill him if he is to survive to move back in time to Cata (where we DO kill him). So the final boss will probably be something weird like Chromatus as you mentioned (Galakrond is too big and the first raid is "his" in spirit) or a surprise substitute boss like Argus was for Sargeras.

I think Chromatus is very likely the last raid boss even if he's not at all the villain. It has to be something tied to dragons that Murozond could access through time (meaning the Netherwing could be possible)
    Last edited by Cheezits; 2022-06-29 at 02:46 AM.

Galakrond. Just speculating off what the VA posted on Twitter a few months ago.

Murozond will probably still be a raid tier boss. If not directly tied to perhaps altering the Dawn of Aspects story.

If its Gala it would be interesting to see how they deal with him in fights considering how big he is, but i reckon we will defo see Galakron, Murazond and Chromatus in some order

Perhaps the Infinite will drag Galakrond through time before his corruption into undeath and he will gain the power of Primals or whatever. Blizz was talking about the Aspect Dragons choosing another path instead of the Power of Titans. More Primal or Azeroth powerbased.
    Last edited by Felrane; 2022-06-29 at 03:08 AM.

I really hope it's not Galakrond. The guy was so weak he and his entire undead army were beat by Tyr and five regular protodrakes who were smarter than normal.

Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    They're time-travelers. Killing him doesn't necessarily mean we won't see him again. We would likely see a "younger version" of him, from before he was killed.
    Murozond: Don't be so smug, it's only a setback if I was already canonically dead. This is PAST future Nozdormu! Totally different!

Alternatively:

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

10+ Year Old Account
    Murozond: Don't be so smug, it's only a setback if I was already canonically dead. This is PAST future Nozdormu! Totally different!
    Well, yeah. That's the nature of time travel.

You could, for example, travel to ten years in the past today, return back to your timeline, and the next day, travel to fifteen years in the past. Your second trip would end up being the first time the people of the past saw you, while your first trip would be the second time those people saw you.

Moruzond
    Galakrond
    Chromatus

Plot hooks for each

Quote Originally Posted by Cheezits View Post
    If its Murozond we wouldn't actually kill him if he is to survive to move back in time to Cata (where we DO kill him).
    Could be just a different timeline. There isn't only one straight timeline, there's multiple.