Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Question about DKs

Now that the Jailer is defeated and the Helm of Domination has been broken and reforged, wouldn't Death Knights lose their eye glow?

It signifies domination. Back when Arthas' helm was removed and he was defeated, he came back to his senses and lost his eye glow. When Anduin returned to his senses, the blue domination eye glow faded away. When Bolvar's helm was removed and so did his eye glow, he pretty much became old Bolvar and less Lich King.

Wasn't it an indication of their mental connection to the Jailer, or in the case of playable Death Knights, to the Lich King?

Quote Originally Posted by username993720 View Post
    Now that the Jailer is defeated and the Helm of Domination has been broken and reforged, wouldn't Death Knights lose their eye glow?

It signifies domination. Back when Arthas' helm was removed and he was defeated, he came back to his senses and lost his eye glow. When Anduin returned to his senses, the blue domination eye glow faded away. When Bolvar's helm was removed and so did his eye glow, he pretty much became old Bolvar and less Lich King.

Wasn't it an indication of their mental connection to the Jailer, or in the case of playable Death Knights, to the Lich King?
    have you never played through the dk starting zone? bcs its then, during the questing, when they break from LK "domination", so thats the moment their eyes should "fade", if ever, for all playable DKs AND nonplayable who joined ali/horde/ebon blade

Quote Originally Posted by Lolites View Post
    have you never played through the dk starting zone? bcs its then, during the questing, when they break from LK "domination", so thats the moment their eyes should "fade", if ever, for all playable DKs AND nonplayable who joined ali/horde/ebon blade
    This.
    Though it should be said that it may not necessarily be related to domination, but rather to i.e. Kil'jaeden's tampering with it via the frozen throne.
    This would also explain why it still persists in pc death knights, as while the Lich King is gone the frozen throne still persists, and its shards by now have been scattered across Ice Crown Citadel (per WotLK's Shadowmourne quest and i think Legion's DK frost weapon quests), infusing its power into objects and presumably creatires irrespective of the Throne's status, or that of its occupant.

It's also worth noting that the jailer himself has also been subjected to domination magic, and his eyes have never featured that effect, reinforcing that it is tied to something Azerothian.
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Slam must be destroyed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    There are many reasons in the Warcraft universe why a person's eyes can glow, Domination is one of them, but there are others. Mages' eyes can glow blue from the Arcane, Paladins/Priests golden from Light, anyone's eyes can shine green from Fel corruption, etc., etc. The glowing Death Knight eyes also don't resemble that of Domination, a uniform blue, but rather a lighter blue with a kind of smoke effect. This could be simply a product of containing a lot of Runic energy powering their abilities, or a product of their connection to the signature forces (Blood, Frost, and Unholy) that exemplify those abilities. I always thought it would be cool if DK's eyes changed based on your current specialization - with Blood having a crimson haze, Unholy a green/black glow, and Frost keeping the current blue/white glow.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    I always thought it would be cool if DK's eyes changed based on your current specialization - with Blood having a crimson haze, Unholy a green/black glow, and Frost keeping the current blue/white glow.
    I can see that:

Quote Originally Posted by Lolites View Post
    Resisting domination doesn't mean the "big guy" isn't trying.
    Arthas was said to have a will of his own, yet he had blue glowing eyes until the end.

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    I LOVE the idea of DK eye glows representing their specs. That would be a fantastic bit of flavor to add to them
    Quote Originally Posted by Minikin View Post
    "Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never....BURN IT"
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    You are kinda joe Roganing this topic. Hardly have any actual knowledge other than what people have told you, and jumping into a discussion with people who have direct experience with it. Don't be Joe Rogan.

DK's eyes glow because they're literally corpses animated by death magic (unlike the OG scourge era DKs who were just salty paladins), Arthas literally brings you to unlife in the dk starting zone.
    If they were tied to the Lich King in some meaningful way (which seems dubious considering the events of the dk starting zone) it would seem like the more likely result would be all PC DK just keeling over.
    Tonight for me is a special day. I want to go outside of the house of the girl I like with a gasoline barrel and write her name on the road and set it on fire and tell her to get out too see it (is this illegal)?

10+ Year Old Account
    The eye glow is not a byproduct of having a mental connection to the Jailer.

Quote Originally Posted by KOUNTERPARTS View Post
    The eye glow is not a byproduct of having a mental connection to the Jailer.
    Isn't it?
    It seems like it is, considering it is domination magic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Isn't it?
    It seems like it is, considering it is domination magic.

Did domination magic cease to exist after the Jailer died?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    I can see that:
    Meh. Expected so much from Bolvar, with all the cinematics and him being on the box and all. Proceeding to get his ass handed to him in a 30 second skirmish and ending up as a smalltime questgiver was pretty disappointing.
    Ryzen 7 5800X - RX 6900 XT
    Gigabyte B550 AORUS PRO - Crucial Ballistix DDR4 32GB 3600Mhz - Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280
    Corsair 4000D Airflow - 1x ASUS 27" VG27AQ - 2x iiyama 24”

Did domination magic cease to exist after the Jailer died?
    Don't know. That's what i'm asking. Who are the Death Knights connected to? We know Undead minions in cinematics have blue eye glow to signify they're under the Lich King's control.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Don't know. That's what i'm asking. Who are the Death Knights connected to? We know Undead minions in cinematics have blue eye glow to signify they're under the Lich King's control.
    I don't think there's any way to know that. DK's were once connected to the Lich King, who may or may not have been connected to the Jailer (since the Jailer claims he failed to Dominate them completely). Playable DK's broke that connection in WotLK, so it stands to reason that they're not currently connected to the Jailer in any way, and may well never have been at all.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Nutri View Post
    Meh. Expected so much from Bolvar, with all the cinematics and him being on the box and all. Proceeding to get his ass handed to him in a 30 second skirmish and ending up as a smalltime questgiver was pretty disappointing.
    Yeah, he was thrown under the bus to make Sylvanas look stronger. What a waste

The Ebon Blade hasn't been under the Lich King's control since the Battle for Light's Hope Chapel, even when choosing to work with Bolvar. Their blue eyes are more likely a result of how they were raised rather than a continued connection with the one who raised them.

5+ Year Old Account
    I think domination magic still exists it’s just we have learned how to oppose it.

Forsaken, for example, broke away from the Lich King and do not have that blue glow (with exceptions like Lilian Voss).

10+ Year Old Account

You're trying to look for something that is not there. Go back to the basics of understanding. That will explain why their eyes still glow.

- - - Updated - - -

Forsaken, for example, broke away from the Lich King and do not have that blue glow (with exceptions like Lilian Voss).

because they never had that kind of eye glow that DK's have to begin with.

because they never had that kind of eye glow that DK's have to begin with.
    Why not? They were Undead minions of the Lich King.