Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Wow should have kept Garrisons going

We have had player housing then!
    One of the best features they have ever added. They need to bring it back! For viability at max level!

I remember when garrisons were first announced and they said we could pick which zone to place them in. Also too bad we never got those tilesets for other races. Wish I had a Tauren garrison in Nagrand.

I think Garrisons are one of many things that would have been successful if Blizz had kept going, but sadly they give up on some ideas after the first iteration.

If you had just one Garrison per faction/server that would have eliminated many of the complaints against them.

Que sera sera

10+ Year Old Account
    They still could use them again. I'd love to see them strip that down to basics and do a decent base-building game on the foundations of it. Garrisons would be a place to start but they would need heavy modification to be suitable for starting something like that up.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    I remember when garrisons were first announced and they said we could pick which zone to place them in. Also too bad we never got those tilesets for other races. Wish I had a Tauren garrison in Nagrand.
    They were originally gonna be bigger, too, I heard. One more slot of each size. You can clearly see how the garrison was shrunken by the large amount of open space outside the walls of the Horde one to the northwest.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Paperfox View Post
    I think Garrisons are one of many things that would have been successful if Blizz had kept going, but sadly they give up on some ideas after the first iteration.

If you had just one Garrison per faction/server that would have eliminated many of the complaints against them.

Que sera sera
    Considering the huge amount of hatred garrisons received the vocal minority I doubt they'll touch it again.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

Let us place them in azeroth and if we can have a building style for each race, not just orc and human.

Customizable garrisons that could've be placed around the Azeroth(but not like everywhere because that would require too much work)?

Count me in!

Apparently, Garrisons were the primary reason why WoD's development took so long and why they still ended up having to scrap like half of the expansion (incl. many planned garrison features). I tend to believe that Blizzard also wants to add player housing/garrisons as a permanent feature, but they've simply never found the time and ressources to make it completely right. They couldn't even manage to add the (announced!!!) feature where you could move your garrison to any WoD zone and have different layouts as well as different styles of the available buildings.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertMugabe View Post
    Apparently, Garrisons were the primary reason why WoD's development took so long
    WoD's development took so long because they rebooted development halfway through (original iteration was very orc centric and they decided it needed more non-orc stuff), and 2. the team massively expanded in size which slowed down development as the oldhires had to take the time to train the newhires.

Quote Originally Posted by cparle87 View Post
    Considering the huge amount of hatred garrisons received the vocal minority I doubt they'll touch it again.
    AFAIK, 90% of the hate that went towards the garrisons was because of the mission table (whcih was seen as a feature of the garrisons back then), which is still the dumbest "gameplay" they've ever added to this day. The other 10% was that people were afraid that the world would be more empty than it already was, but this turned out to be largely false.

As much as I despise the facebook game, it wasn't the problem with WoD. The lack of actual content was the problem. Unless you were into raidlogging, there was literally nothing to do in WoD. So the facebook game became the thing to do by default, because WoW players are addicts who were habituated to log in every day and play WoW.

I would rather have seen them keep warfronts going, garrisons should just be a singular house that you can place anywhere you want

5+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't mind something like the Garrison coming back, but not if it creates a WoD 2, where there is literally no content because of it.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertMugabe View Post
    The other 10% was that people were afraid that the world would be more empty than it already was, but this turned out to be largely false.
    I dunno, I never felt the need to go out and gather anything because my garrison just produced it all.

To be fair, outside of garrisons and raiding/dungeons, there wasn't much to do in WoD.

I think if they made it so you couldn't just passively gain resources and it didn't have a mission table, people would be happy with something like garrisons returning. I think the way they handled how everyone had one would work well.

Order halls were way more fun than Garrisons. And the Covenant halls were acceptable, though a bit rushed.
    With a bit of care, Azeroth based covenant halls would be the most satisfying way to handle this.

Stood in the Fire Zendhal The Black's Avatar
    5+ Year Old Account
    Wow have a terrible habbit introducing a cool feature (pandaria farm for example) just to leave it behind and not build on it...

Just immagine:
    WoD:
    -Pandaria farm gets "integrated" into garrisons
    -combine gathering professions into one "Gathering" they would have separate skill bars inside them for mining, herbalism and skinning
    -New "profession" Woodcutting - just integration of Gathering
    -New secondary profession "Gardening" - you can get seeds from herbs in the world or buy seeds of vegetables like in Tillers farm
    -Blacksmithing would create axes,mining picks, hoes and other gardening or gathering gear
    -"Carpenting" profession (or rather something integrated into garrison itself) where you spend wood, metal bars and other materials to create decorations in your garrison (this would make older crafting materials for example Iron bars relevant again)

DEFINETLY MAKE GARRISON MOVEABLE (could be Draenor only during WoD, expanding into everywhere else afret the expansion)

One could only dream...

Quote Originally Posted by cparle87 View Post
    They were originally gonna be bigger, too, I heard. One more slot of each size. You can clearly see how the garrison was shrunken by the large amount of open space outside the walls of the Horde one to the northwest.

Iirc the hatred was mainly because everybody spent so much time in their garrison, a lot less people were out doing stuff and secondarily that mats were cheap and easy to get. There is a lot of truth to this, I think it took me about an hour to run through all my toons.

Quote Originally Posted by Iain View Post
    Order halls were way more fun than Garrisons. And the Covenant halls were acceptable, though a bit rushed.
    With a bit of care, Azeroth based covenant halls would be the most satisfying way to handle this.
    Class order halls were yet another halfbaked concept. A lot of the order halls were disappointing and didn't deliver on class fantasy. For example, shoving Sunwalkers and Blood Knights into the Silver Hand's basement was bullocks. Rogues didn't get to go back to Ravenholdt. Warriors got sent to... a Titan facility (???). Death Knights got screwed with Archerus, which didn't even get HD textures. Once your order moved into the hall, nothing changed. It didn't expand or renovate. It remained static from beginning to end, just with a few more NPCs shoved in there who you never talked to. There should have been minigames put into the class order halls.

Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    We have had player housing then!
    One of the best features they have ever added. They need to bring it back! For viability at max level!
    100% agree. Why the scrapped it is beyond me. They could easily kept the feature going with changes to it. It made sense for us to have garrisons where it was during WoD, but after that it wouldnt require much storytelling for it to be outside SW, IF or Org. Or for that matter - in any other place in the game.

By now it could have been a huge feature within the game that always was there.

Quote Originally Posted by crusadernero View Post
    100% agree. Why the scrapped it is beyond me.
    Maybe because it was EXTREMELY poorly received, and to this day is noted by many WoD haters as one of the worst parts of their least favorite expansions. This is rose tinted glasses to the highest degree - the garrisons were absolutely hated, and people didnt hold back expressing their opinions. Now that obviously slowed as the haters finally moved to "acceptance", and the expansion progressed, but surely noone would try and pretend it wasnt one of the most hated parts of one of the most disliked expansions.

Now to be fair, V2 may have, and probably would have been far, FAR better. But the announcement would go down about as well as Diablo Immortal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    In no way are you entitled to the 'complete' game when you buy it, because DLC/cosmetics and so on are there for companies to make more money
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Others, including myself, are saying that they only exist because Blizzard needed to create things so they could monetize it.