Page 1 of 10
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Exclamation 'Warcraft' Film REBOOT is in Development

I'm surprised this flew under the radar. (not really surprised actually, lol)

https://www.thathashtagshow.com/2022...n-development/

We’ve exclusively learned that a reboot of the Warcraft movie is in development over at Universal Pictures.

Warcraft was released in 2016. Despite poor critic reviews and a lackluster domestic box office, it did well enough in international markets to keep conversations between Blizzard and Universal going.

In 2019 development started on a sequel, Warcraft 2. It would’ve brought back characters and introduced a ton more. The issue was that the pandemic began shortly as early development began. Stars were attached and dropped out of the project, and filmmakers were eyed but ultimately unavailable.

As Warcraft 2 fell apart, discussions began internally about whether the studio and Blizzard wanted to reboot the franchise or continue with the established characters, actors, and lore from the first movie.

Our sources have indicated that, indeed, the studio has elected to go with a soft reboot. The soft reboot will focus on a new set of characters, not entirely ignoring the continuity of the first film but not being completely beholden to it either.

There may be older versions of characters seen in the original movie as per sources. For instance, I was told that we saw a baby version of Go’El, but he will be of adult age and go by Thrall in the planned reboot.

Story details are under tight security, but knowing that the film will move past some of the lore of the first film, expect that some characters that did not appear in that could appear in this new film.

I wonder who could play an adult Thrall realistically. Perhaps it's time for Metzen to dust off his acting chops once more.

Events of the film: during the Second War?

EDIT: Was thinking... maybe it's not such a bad idea to incorporate elements from the lore that isn't the basic, foundational "orcs versus human" era of Warcraft history. The first movie was heavy that, but with the "evil magic of the fel" and the imagery of Medivh becoming a demon. True fans knew what it alluded to, but not run-of-the-mill movie goers. Perhaps maybe taking place during the Third War but more focused on the rise of the Scourge?
    Last edited by KOUNTERPARTS; 2022-07-02 at 03:15 PM.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I guess its to early to tell.. not much to speculate on.

Knight of the Astral Star Local Ardenweald Faerie's Avatar
    1+ Year Old Account
    Their sources: dude trust me

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Knight of the Astral Star View Post
    Their sources: dude trust me

The author of the article's dad is, in fact, Bobby Kotick.

obligatory /s

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Alanar View Post
    I guess its to early to tell.. not much to speculate on.

Mostly interested in the fact that the author was supposedly told that adult Thrall would be featured.
    Last edited by KOUNTERPARTS; 2022-07-02 at 03:28 PM.

they want to reboot with the existing characters/lore?

surely the nr1 criticism of the movie was it's choice of story to tell. it's going to be dead on arrival again if it doesn't include arhtas/illidan/something from war3.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellobolis View Post
    they want to reboot with the existing characters/lore?

surely the nr1 criticism of the movie was it's choice of story to tell. it's going to be dead on arrival again if it doesn't include arhtas/illidan/something from war3.

I think Arthas' story, even if it's changed a bit for theatrical quality, is still the most relatable story they could tell.

I didn't really even think Lothar's characterization and story was that bad in the first Warcraft film. Him having a son and the romance with Garona plot didn't do anything for me, though.

Adult Thrall would point towards the third war.

Roflmao. The idea that anybody was interested in making a sequel to the first tells you how reliable these “sources” are.

But why though? The movie is neither old, nor was it that successful.

Quote Originally Posted by Swnem View Post
    Adult Thrall would point towards the third war.
    or it could point that it's just going to be warcraft 2 as planned, with thrall as gladiator in the internment camps. with reboot just meaning continueing the dead franchise, instead of re-imagining it/starting fresh which it also often means.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LordVargK View Post
    Because it did well in china and that's all that matters.

Man, if they're gonna do a reboot just do the fucking Arthas arc and get it over with.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    Man, if they're gonna do a reboot just do the fucking Arthas arc and get it over with.

If it does take place during the Second War and/or just about Thrall taking over the new Horde, I can already imagine the final scene (or post-credits) scene showing a young Arthas with some chilling music in the background.

And then fucking up our chances for good of actually getting a film around Arthas, since we probably won't get a 3rd if this one doesn't do well.

Make an Arthas movie or don't bother. Start out strong or there won't be any future for a trilogy to be seen which is what they had hoped for the first movie to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Lobosan View Post
    So Bobby Kotick's kid is posting a supposedly secret scoop on a site we've never heard of? Suuuuure.

Stick to selling the Brooklyn Bridge lol.
    the /s means "sarcasm"

i saw this and my mind was „ok. realized. saved. so what?“.

in short:

a)
    too early to tell.

b)
    Blizz did everything they could, the last years, to train me to no longer being hyped, not even a bit. ofc, i will realize it, when this movie reaches the cinema. and i assume i will watch it. will i wait for it, being hyped or have even the slightest feelings about it, compared to ten years ago? no. Blizzard just wasted their customer base away. i am one of them. so, i not really have any feelings about a wow movie reboot besides the advice for any studio to not touch it, for many years. there are not much fans left these days imo. so it’s a calculated flop imo.

10+ Year Old Account
    Please Please Please Please let this be true
    An Karanir Thanagor

Quote Originally Posted by LordVargK View Post
    i am far more interested, besides your 2 facts (yes, what you said are objective facts, not an opinion), for what target audience this movie is made for.

1)
    the 10 ppls that never heard of wow, but that are not interested anyway ?

2)
    the 1000 ppls still being a wow die hard fan wanting a great movie ?

3)
    the 10000000 ppls that left wow for good, were disapointed by first movie and completely lost interest in wow the last few years ? not sure you will make much money these days with them.

4)
    14 year old kids in 2022 that go „what is wow?“ or „a movie about a 17 year old game. great.“

so, that said: doing a wow movie in the next 5 years sounds like suicide to me tbh.

10+ Year Old Account
    Saw it but doubting it until there is something a bit more official/credible (to me).
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

If this is true, I really can't see them going with anything other than WC3. Even as someone who's not exactly a diehard fan of Arthas, it's the story everyone wants to see hit the big screen