Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    3+ Year Old Account
    Honestly, the adult Thrall speculation feels like the second Warcraft movie would have been, given how the last part of the first movie was basically sequel-bait leaning towards an adaptation of Lord of the Clans. I'm skeptical of them going for a Scourge/Arthas theme, given how heavily the first movie's success was carried by China. Would basically have to make a second movie just to remove the inevitable abundance of skellymen to appease China's censors.

Imagine a Warcraft movie with literally any setting in the style of the recent Dune movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Swnem View Post
    And what would the story be there? He fights in the arena. Great.
    The story is that he breaks free and creates a new horde and that happens in the third war.
    the story would be about slavery and blackthorn abusing him, his relation with tabetha, etc.

which could be an alright story but no doubt they will fill half the movie with superflous backstory and sequel setups again making it crap.

third war is obviously the story people want to see, but that can't really happen with the same characters. heck the parts of the third war with thrall aren't even the most wanted parts.

Why not make a serie?

Omfg

The original movie was poorly received and it is not immediately clear whether it managed to break even let alone turn a profit, the Warcraft franchise is probably at one of, if not, the lowest points in terms of its popularity and Blizzard's name is not exactly what it once was. Given this uncertainty who would stump the $100 million plus to make it?

It seems like a massive gamble with no guarantee of success.

I suppose it could be set to release on streaming services with a much lower budget but even then I remain unconvinced.

A Warcraft film reboot has been a rumor since Warcraft 2 film was canceled. It's not happening.

First of all, there are a LOT of projects in "development hell" for decades in Hollywood. They hire directors, actors get linked the project, then it quietly goes away again. I would not get excited until there is an actual shooting schedule.

Second of all, I think the best way to do a Warcraft film is jump into the middle of the story like George Lucas did with Episode 4. Either do the Arthas story or the Sylvanas story (avoid mostly everything after Warcraft 3 when it comes to Sylvanas tho). The other stories are not as compelling.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

There is so much cool stuff they could do. I found it kinda boring that the 2016 Warcraft focused on Orcs and Humans. I want to see all of the races and classes in action.

Just like the Simpsons movie, the Warcraft movie came out far too long after its alternate media peak to be anything worthwhile.

Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    The original movie was poorly received and it is not immediately clear whether it managed to break even let alone turn a profit, the Warcraft franchise is probably at one of, if not, the lowest points in terms of its popularity and Blizzard's name is not exactly what it once was. Given this uncertainty who would stump the $100 million plus to make it?

It seems like a massive gamble with no guarantee of success.

I suppose it could be set to release on streaming services with a much lower budget but even then I remain unconvinced.
    If you count the film's domestic gross it was a flop. But it did extremely well in China so who knows what the Hollywood bean counters think about it. The Warcraft IP itself is still in pretty good shape despite what cynics on this forum will imply. There's definitely room for a movie or TV show but it'd have to be good.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Swnem View Post
    And what would the story be there? He fights in the arena. Great.
    The story is that he breaks free and creates a new horde and that happens in the third war.
    That actually could work, as long as they don't aim to make a 2+ hour movie. His arc in Lord of the Clans probably could be fit neatly into a movie. Start with the Disney-ing of his parents, his kidnapping by Blackmoore, his growth as a gladiator, his friendship with Taretha, his escape from Durnholde and discovery of his people in internment camps, seeking out his clan to learn shamanism, his return as a liberator, the tragic and predictable death of Taretha, and a climactic battle to cap it off at Durnholde. Ending scene being him leading the united clans as the Horde as Warchief.

Damn, I feel like I just described a Disney movie with that. Parents murdered while he was an infant, adoptive parent figure is evil, a journey of self-discovery in which he finds the inner strength to become a leader of his people, his return to save his people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

Why are they wasting assloads of money on a movie that will fail (especially since China is cracking down on Blizzard, and returning to Maoism), instead of just making a good cartoon series with an T/M rating and putting it on Amazon for a quarter of the price?

10+ Year Old Account
    They are going to try and shoehorn to rebuild the "Disney" appearance of PCnes spectrum.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Vowrawn View Post
    Why are they wasting assloads of money on a movie that will fail (especially since China is cracking down on Blizzard, and returning to Maoism), instead of just making a good cartoon series with an T/M rating and putting it on Amazon for a quarter of the price?
    This.

They should follow Arcanes path.
    -K

Herald of the Titans Chain Chungus's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitei View Post
    When you say "political messages" do you actually just mean "has anyone who isn't white or straight as anything but a background character"?
    Bingo. Notice how he has "88" in his name? That's a number neo-nazis use. If you see it, it means that person is a turd-person.

Quote Originally Posted by Chain Chungus View Post
    Bingo. Notice how he has "88" in his name? That's a number neo-nazis use. If you see it, it means that person is a turd-person.
    Or maybe he's a Back to the Future fan?

Imagine a series on Netflix in the same style as Arcane. It would be the best thing to do.

They should just make a streaming show of it, as it's a better format to tell long-spanning, character-driven stories.
    Now you see it. Now you don't.

But was where Dalaran?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    If you count the film's domestic gross it was a flop. But it did extremely well in China so who knows what the Hollywood bean counters think about it. The Warcraft IP itself is still in pretty good shape despite what cynics on this forum will imply. There's definitely room for a movie or TV show but it'd have to be good.
    It did $439 million worldwide. That's right about what it needed to make to break even. It wasn't a hit worldwide; it wasn't quite a failure either except in the U.S. and Europe. That sort of response for a $160 million movie (production + many more millions for promotion) isn't the sort of thing that generates any enthusiasm in investors to do a sequel or a soft reboot or whatever even if it was a blockbuster in China. Perhaps a movie was the wrong format for it but whatever would have been better it's pretty clear that the movie was years too late to take any real advantage of Warcraft's pop culture impact.

I'm quite sure that there is a Warcraft project somewhere at some studio sitting in turnaround where it's likely to sit for years. Whatever the case, Blizzard won't be deciding if it's a movie, a TV show or whatever since they won't be producing it.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

If they aren't going to hire Peter Jackson and give it the LotR treatment, then just don't bother at all. Please.

5+ Year Old Account
    Warcraft's lore would be better told through an animated TV series. They crammed way too much shit into that movie.
    Kupo.