Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    We have had player housing then!
    One of the best features they have ever added. They need to bring it back! For viability at max level!
    The Garrison was not an optimal version of player housing, but an intro version of single-player hubs. This is not what we should strive for but advance from.

Luckily, the Garrisons don't belong to us anymore, as we abandoned them for the Orcs (Horde) or Draenei (Alliance), and Yrel most likely destroyed the Horde one anyways.

Player housing should not be able to be used as a hub, so, no portal selections, or auction house, or mission table, or story-driven quests. The player housing should be having a bounty board, as well as a selection of workshop areas for crafting, the ability to modify, relocate, and place items where you wish, and add your own touch.
    Last edited by Lochton; 2022-07-02 at 08:23 AM.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Garrisons harken to Warcraft's beginning with base building and strategic decisions. It also answers the players interest in housing. This could have become one of WoWs great features that carries on and gets further development with every expansion, instead of those other experimental game modes they kept making and abandoning.

I don't get the part where they can't spare resources. Drop gimmick features that nobody wanted and actually work on delivering what the playerbase have been asking for years? How can a much smaller game like SWTOR have an enormous customizable housing feature they call Strongholds, but the giant team on WoW can't make different racial themed buildings?
    Quote Originally Posted by munkeyinorbit View Post
    Blizzard do what the players want all the time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    I remember when garrisons were first announced and they said we could pick which zone to place them in. Also too bad we never got those tilesets for other races. Wish I had a Tauren garrison in Nagrand.
    Yeah... They explicitly said hat you could place your Garrison in Tanaan Jungle, which was the only zone I wanted to start in.....And then Tanaan wasn't even in at launch.
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > ShaLa > MoP > DF > BfA > WoD = WotLK

My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/

NGL if they added in a Garrison system where you could place it in certain spots on Azeroth and have race themed buildings, Dwarven/Troll and such, give us pretty much all the buildings available in the current garrisons, i would actually rather enjoy it. They could easily use it for current expansions as it wouldn't need to be updated much for each expansion i.e adding it into one of the new zones, as its already situated. They could use it as our characters "house/base of operations" in future expansions as a RP element and as a literal base, our characters have defeated how many threats now, would be nice for our accomplishments to be recognized in game, kind of like a Heritage armor tie in, "Tauren you have embraced everything that it means to be Tauren, here, as a thank you for all you've done, we offer this land as reward".

It could be used for story tie ins, Anduin has been yeeted through a hole in the sky again, so Mathias Shaw tracks down the hero at their base to seek aid. It could even be used as a way to more directly involve our characters, assassins could be sent to take us out at our base to prevent us aiding such and such, which could be played out in game. We could have all the decoration type elements from Garrisons, some achievement tie ins, you killed Mythic Jailer (....yeah) here is a banner or statue to show off.

The point is, it could serve as player housing, but also be future proof. Rather than make a new system for an expansion, then never see it again, it would be a more permanent feature.

Any thoughts ?

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    They still could use them again. I'd love to see them strip that down to basics and do a decent base-building game on the foundations of it. Garrisons would be a place to start but they would need heavy modification to be suitable for starting something like that up.
    This.
    T.b.h. i still usem my garrison for easy access to, well, everything. It has portals, an auction house, profession buildings, a bank, my pets and followers scuttle about, my stable is full of my favourite mounts and i can pick the background music. And i can access it with 2 and a half hearthstone (normal hearthstone, compass and the temple relic).
    What's there not to like?
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Slam must be destroyed.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertMugabe View Post
    AFAIK, 90% of the hate that went towards the garrisons was because of the mission table (whcih was seen as a feature of the garrisons back then), which is still the dumbest "gameplay" they've ever added to this day. The other 10% was that people were afraid that the world would be more empty than it already was, but this turned out to be largely false.
    I remember more of the "there's no point in leaving the garrison to do anything in the world cause anything I can get there I can get here too" stuff.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Paperfox View Post
    Iirc the hatred was mainly because everybody spent so much time in their garrison, a lot less people were out doing stuff and secondarily that mats were cheap and easy to get. There is a lot of truth to this, I think it took me about an hour to run through all my toons.
    I remember reading they intended to shut down the garrison with the BFA patch. Make the garden and mine stop producing mats daily and remove the ability to submit new work orders. Most everything would wind down eventually. That lasted all of... three days before they reverted it. Now they settle for stealth nerfs like the bloody bags or the vend price of armor tokens.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    Maybe because it was EXTREMELY poorly received, and to this day is noted by many WoD haters as one of the worst parts of their least favorite expansions. This is rose tinted glasses to the highest degree - the garrisons were absolutely hated, and people didnt hold back expressing their opinions. Now that obviously slowed as the haters finally moved to "acceptance", and the expansion progressed, but surely noone would try and pretend it wasnt one of the most hated parts of one of the most disliked expansions.

Now to be fair, V2 may have, and probably would have been far, FAR better. But the announcement would go down about as well as Diablo Immortal.
    I know, I played WoD. Well, I quit halfway(or sooner) during that xpac. Also, if you had bothered to read my whole text and actually qoute more than 2 lines to fit your narrative, you would have realised I said that the garrison as a concept is cool and they could easily have carried it over to future xpacs with lots of changes and tuning according to the feedback they got during WoD.

The problem with Blizzard and features is that they often times than not go all in with certain features, then just leave it to rot if its not a 100% success. The only thing we really have in wow is pvp, dungeons, raids & quests. Beyond that, everything is xpac tied and thrown in the garbage bin once its over. IE in BfA? could easily been kept going while taking feedback from players. Same with garrisons. What made them shit in WoD? What can we change? How can we fit this in as a bigger housing feature within the game? The possibilites are endless really. If Blizzard makes one shit raid tier they dont scrap raiding as a concept. They take feedback, learn, change and adapt.

Players keep on crying about lack of content outside of m+ & raids, but everytime Blizzard has tried to do it, its been a failure. So instead of listening and take the feedback to hearth, they just let it be. Then go for a new feature. That also fails. Then a new one. OR worst case, nothing at all.

Garrisons were okay. I only wish they allowed you to move them to Blasted Lands or something after WoD was finished.

I really really liked the whole garrison idea, if Blizz would have kept developing them, by now they would have been amazing.

I love my garrison. I still go to it almost daily. I just wish it was account bound and had things added to it. Moving it would also be nice.

Mission table
    Log out and go to rl job
    Come home and Log in..and game is done in time for dinner.

Had they added a portal to your farm I wouldn't have been as vitriolic about WoD as I was.
    Parked my druid in Shadowhaven, parked my paladin in Northshire Abbey, parked my death knight at his farm in the Valley of the Four Winds, parked my mage in Dalaran...

I want housing, but garrisons had game systems interwoven into it.
    I want housing with more customization and less interference on the main systems, but otherwise yes, it was a good taste of what housing could be and i love it. It just needs to be evergreen content.

I think they can even have things like a mine and a garden, but it must be far less lucrative than the garrison ones. It cannot interfere in the economy majorly.

Also, no table missions i'd say.

And importantly, as others have said, it must be account wide. Let players have more than one, but not one per character. Depending on how they implement ofc. I am thinking of the SWTOR model.
    Last edited by Swnem; 2022-07-02 at 03:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by crusadernero View Post
    I know, I played WoD. Well, I quit halfway(or sooner) during that xpac. Also, if you had bothered to read my whole text and actually qoute more than 2 lines to fit your narrative, you would have realised I said that the garrison as a concept is cool and they could easily have carried it over to future xpacs with lots of changes and tuning according to the feedback they got during WoD.

The problem with Blizzard and features is that they often times than not go all in with certain features, then just leave it to rot if its not a 100% success. The only thing we really have in wow is pvp, dungeons, raids & quests. Beyond that, everything is xpac tied and thrown in the garbage bin once its over. IE in BfA? could easily been kept going while taking feedback from players. Same with garrisons. What made them shit in WoD? What can we change? How can we fit this in as a bigger housing feature within the game? The possibilites are endless really. If Blizzard makes one shit raid tier they dont scrap raiding as a concept. They take feedback, learn, change and adapt.

Players keep on crying about lack of content outside of m+ & raids, but everytime Blizzard has tried to do it, its been a failure. So instead of listening and take the feedback to hearth, they just let it be. Then go for a new feature. That also fails. Then a new one. OR worst case, nothing at all.
    Narrative? What Narrative? Why are you so hostile just because someone disagrees with you? To be fair your opinion on garrisons isnt that valuable anyway, since you didnt even make it half way through the expansion before quitting.

If you think the initial reception was poor, in those first few months, you should have experienced how entirely sick of it people were in the later stages of the expansion, especially when they had leveled a lot more characters.
    Last edited by arkanon; 2022-07-02 at 11:53 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    In no way are you entitled to the 'complete' game when you buy it, because DLC/cosmetics and so on are there for companies to make more money
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Others, including myself, are saying that they only exist because Blizzard needed to create things so they could monetize it.

Quote Originally Posted by crusadernero View Post
    100% agree. Why the scrapped it is beyond me. They could easily kept the feature going with changes to it. It made sense for us to have garrisons where it was during WoD, but after that it wouldnt require much storytelling for it to be outside SW, IF or Org. Or for that matter - in any other place in the game.

By now it could have been a huge feature within the game that always was there.
    isnt is obvious?they are to lazy,cheap and greedy,garrisons alone cost a raid tier,they dont have the will to comit to actual playerhousing because they feel it would cost them to much resources and money for not enough financial return,our only hope is a wow2 with housing planed from the start and added over time features

Quote Originally Posted by deenman View Post
    isnt is obvious?they are to lazy,cheap and greedy,garrisons alone cost a raid tier,they dont have the will to comit to actual playerhousing because they feel it would cost them to much resources and money for not enough financial return,our only hope is a wow2 with housing planed from the start and added over time features
    You mean like Overwatch 2? Lets be clear, even their "sequels" are just more of the same these days. They will never do a WoW2, but if it did happen, it would be the same game, just with some new graphics and races/classes (maybe).
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    In no way are you entitled to the 'complete' game when you buy it, because DLC/cosmetics and so on are there for companies to make more money
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Others, including myself, are saying that they only exist because Blizzard needed to create things so they could monetize it.

Narrative? What Narrative? Why are you so hostile just because someone disagrees with you? To be fair your opinion on garrisons isnt that valuable anyway, since you didnt even make it half way through the expansion before quitting.

If you think the initial reception was poor, in those first few months, you should have experienced how entirely sick of it people were in the later stages of the expansion, especially when they had leveled a lot more characters.
    Because what you qouted and answered it was put out of context when further down the line I wrote about how it could be fixed, and why it was wierd they just scrapped it. Just nitpicking one line when in the same text I explain why, is weird.

While I didnt play most of WoD, I full well knew all the issues with garrisons. issues that could have been changed and fixed in future xpacs.

Garrisons as optional "build your own base" minigame? Sounds cool even if i am not that interested in that.

Garrison with actual gameplay mechanichs tied to endgame? No thanks. I am happy that DF is scrapping all the minigames bullshit that's basically an attunement for the endgame.

More things in game are good. More things in game stacked up as progressive steps to the endgame are shit.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

You mean like Overwatch 2? Lets be clear, even their "sequels" are just more of the same these days. They will never do a WoW2, but if it did happen, it would be the same game, just with some new graphics and races/classes (maybe).
    i did say it was just the only hope

The whole thing with WoW is that we get new shit every fucking expansion, and they never build on it and actually make it good before scrapping it. It's an endless cycle of shit.
    Quote Originally Posted by atenime45 View Post
    The 10% reward. It's was unspoken rule that you DONT attack other faction so everyone could enjoy the 10% reward. But now no one cares about that anymore