Thread: [TV] Ms. Marvel

Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    This show has had such low engagement I doubt the show or character will continue without retooling. The actress who plays Khan is money- looks great, highly marketable and her media training is on point. So they will likely invest in her, if not the standalone material.

1+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Not based on light, specifically, but that's the power set it granted to Danvers. She doesn't carry the entire power of the Tesseract within her or something. She's also got super strength and toughness and so on, but her flight and photonic blasts have a clear "light" theme.
    So I guess Scarlet Witch and Thor are light-based superheroes, too? As is anyone else who uses energy for the brunt of their "except super strength and toughness" powers? I may just be confused about where you're drawing this utterly bullshit and arbitrary line. I mean, Iron Man's repulsors and power source all light up, so did that mean he was one, too? How about Cyclops or Bishop when they show up?

Or is it "if their powers are energy based and I want them to be lumped together, they're light based. Otherwise they're not?" I'm leaning towards that as the real answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    This show has had such low engagement I doubt the show or character will continue without retooling. The actress who plays Khan is money- looks great, highly marketable and her media training is on point. So they will likely invest in her, if not the standalone material.
    It's been a hit with critics, though. That's often enough - HBO's old formula was that a show needed one of three things: Critical acclaim, awards, or viewership. But it only needed one of them.

The Wire is the prime example of a show that never got many awards, at least during its initial run, and never got the ratings either. But it was a critical darling, and that was enough for HBO to make 5 seasons of it. It drew in the subscribers.

1+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by paxen View Post
    It's been a hit with critics, though.
    And audiences, too.

Quote Originally Posted by paxen View Post
    It's been a hit with critics, though. That's often enough - HBO's old formula was that a show needed one of three things: Critical acclaim, awards, or viewership. But it only needed one of them. The Wire is the prime example of a show that never got many awards, at least during its initial run, and never got the ratings either. But it was a critical darling, and that was enough for HBO to make 5 seasons of it. It drew in the subscribers.
    That's because HBO positioned its brand as a Prestige service. Ms. Marvel does indeed have great reviews. Disney is more mass market, they are the mass market, actually.

I would bet Disney rethinks the presentation and budget of a few of these minor D+ shows after Hawkeye and Ms. Marvel.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Izthak View Post
    So I guess Scarlet Witch and Thor are light-based superheroes, too?
    I really don't know where you're getting that.

Danvers fires out photon blasts, and the Kree limiter on her was called a "Photon Inhibitor". Photons are light.
    Rambeau's powers are still largely unexplored, but in the comics, her power set was all about energy manipulation, particularly light, and she went by names like Photon or Spectrum, which relate to light.
    Khan's described her own powers as "hard light", in the show.

I'm not drawing wild conclusions, here, dude. And we know that Scarlet Witch's powers are "chaos magic", and Thor's the "god of thunder", and neither of those are light-based.

As is anyone else who uses energy for the brunt of their "except super strength and toughness" powers? I may just be confused about where you're drawing this utterly bullshit and arbitrary line. I mean, Iron Man's repulsors and power source all light up, so did that mean he was one, too? How about Cyclops or Bishop when they show up?
    No, I'm drawing it from the specific descriptions of these three particular characters. I mean, there can be more, but not all "energy blasts" are light-based.

Iron Man's energy blasts aren't, to my knowledge, really described specifically in the MCU. But they don't seem to be lasers. A laser would be "light-based", though.

Cyclop's eye blasts aren't light. They're concussive force. It's weird.

Not familiar with Bishop, but checking his wiki, that's concussive blasts too.

I have no idea where you got the idea I'm extending this description to anyone who fires energy blasts. Hell, Khan doesn't.

Or is it "if their powers are energy based and I want them to be lumped together, they're light based. Otherwise they're not?" I'm leaning towards that as the real answer.
    Or maybe all three listed are described as light-based, specifically, in some manner or another. Photon blasts (which means "light", as light is composed of photons) or describing their manifestations as "hard light", as Khan does.

I wasn't drawing any generalities. I was talking about three specific characters.

1+ Year Old Account
    So yes, it's whatever you want to call "light based." Got it. Thanks for clearing that up.

I have no idea where you got the idea I'm extending this description to anyone who fires energy blasts. Hell, Khan doesn't.
    Feel free to quote me on that.

Also you should read up on Cyclops more.
    Last edited by Izthak; 2022-07-04 at 06:22 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    So yes, it's whatever you want to call "light based." Got it. Thanks for clearing that up.
    You've got a bug up your ass over nothing, and don't even have an argument that I'm misinterpreting anything.

Also you should read up on Cyclops more.
    https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Scott...th-616)#Powers

Optic Blast: Cyclops possesses the mutant ability to project a powerful beam of concussive, ruby-colored force from his eyes.

Emphasis mine. Summers' eyes are portals to the "Punch Dimension", canonically, a dimension of pure kinetic force. Even if you want to go with the "solar absorption" thing that's come up sometimes, his eye blasts were nearly always presented as kinetic impacts, not burning.
    Last edited by Endus; 2022-07-04 at 06:56 PM.

1+ Year Old Account
    Perfection.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    You've got a bug up your ass over nothing, and don't even have an argument that I'm misinterpreting anything.

Emphasis mine. Summers' eyes are portals to the "Punch Dimension", canonically, a dimension of pure kinetic force. Even if you want to go with the "solar absorption" thing that's come up sometimes, his eye blasts were nearly always presented as kinetic impacts, not burning.
    So I was right. "They're only light powers when I WANT them to be for my argument! Even when they're literally light powered!"

Do Groot next! Or should we start calling him Groot Marvel since he has light powers, and only Marvels apparently have light powers, even when they don't. Or wait, it doesn't count unless you can punch someone with light (even if you're not using light)? Your declarations are fucking hard to nail down.

(And just so you know, Captain Marvel's powers are all pure cosmic energy. But, no wait, I already know you know that, but you apparently only like to quote stuff from the wikis when they back you up, not when they directly counter you. Especially since, golly, that would mean the entire Fantastic Four would also have to be Marvels since they're all cosmically powered, too, but that doesn't fit your completely bullshit and arbitrary declarations. So it's a bit of a pickle.)

Edit: INB4 you go back to the Photon Inhibitors as some kind of proof of your completely erroneous claims, even though they specifically inhibit her cosmic powers. "The photon inhibitor was able to limit the amount of energy Captain Marvel could emit and could even revoke this power entirely. The device could also limit Danvers' physical abilities such as her strength and durability due to the fact that they are directly proportional to how much cosmic energy Danvers produces."

"B-b-b-but its called a PHOTON inhibitor y'all!" I hope that's your counterpoint. Cause, oh boy, does that open up a lot of fun things where if you just give something a brand name, it makes it whatever it was labeled no matter what!
    Last edited by Izthak; 2022-07-04 at 07:25 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Perfection.

So I was right. "They're only light powers when I WANT them to be for my argument! Even when they're literally light powered!"
    Dude, take it up with Marvel. I didn't invent the "punch dimension" explanation for Summers' powers.

(And just so you know, Captain Marvel's powers are all pure cosmic energy. But, no wait, I already know you know that, but you apparently only like to quote stuff from the wikis when they back you up, not when they directly counter you. Especially since, golly, that would mean the entire Fantastic Four would also have to be Marvels since they're all cosmically powered, too, but that doesn't fit your completely bullshit and arbitrary declarations. So it's a bit of a pickle.)
    I was making a generic commentary on similarities, not trying to invent a new superhero taxonomy.

Also, "cosmic energy" fundamentally boils down to light and other electromagnetic radiations. So I really don't get where you thought you were going with this. Nor do the Fantastic 4's powers involve light itself as a component, other than perhaps Sue Storm's, regardless of the origin. Because I wasn't ever talking about the origins of those powers, I was talking about how they expressed themselves.

Edit: INB4 you go back to the Photon Inhibitors as some kind of proof of your completely erroneous claims, even though they specifically inhibit her cosmic powers. "The photon inhibitor was able to limit the amount of energy Captain Marvel could emit and could even revoke this power entirely. The device could also limit Danvers' physical abilities such as her strength and durability due to the fact that they are directly proportional to how much cosmic energy Danvers produces."

"B-b-b-but its called a PHOTON inhibitor y'all!" I hope that's your counterpoint. Cause, oh boy, does that open up a lot of fun things where if you just give something a brand name, it makes it whatever it was labeled no matter what!
    The point is there's no meaningful difference. You're trying to invent one, to try and catch me in some technical snafu, over a pretty generic comment about broad similarities of theme.

I don't know why you've got this big a bug up your ass about it, but it's pretty fantastically silly.

I'm fairly sure the point was that you were making stuff up, presenting it as fact, and then doing every form of mental gymnastics known to man to try and prove that you weren't, while continuing to still do it in the same virtual breath. Which you were and are.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Infinity Cubed View Post
    I'm fairly sure the point was that you were making stuff up, presenting it as fact, and then doing every form of mental gymnastics known to man to try and prove that you weren't, while continuing to still do it in the same virtual breath. Which you were and are.
    What was I "making up"?

Be specific.

Assuming you're even talking about me.
    Last edited by Endus; 2022-07-04 at 09:59 PM.

Well, based on your last post, you claim that you weren't making up a new "superhero taxonomy," but then a few posts prior you were by saying Captain Marvel, Rambeaux, and Kamala all have the same taxonomy even though they have vastly different powers from vastly different sources, particularly the latter versus the former two. All the while dismissing other heroes with either light-based powers or powers derived from light as not counting.

I believe the word for that is "hypocrisy."

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, based on your last post, you claim that you weren't making up a new "superhero taxonomy," but then a few posts prior you were by saying Captain Marvel, Rambeaux, and Kamala all have the same taxonomy even though they have vastly different powers from vastly different sources, particularly the latter versus the former two. All the while dismissing other heroes with either light-based powers or powers derived from light as not counting.

I believe the word for that is "hypocrisy."
    Yes, the post where I said I never made any claims of any new or created taxonomy is definitely proof I was developing a new taxonomy.

There's no "hypocrisy". I never made any taxonomic claims, never said there was any direct connection/power source similarity. In fact, I said there wasn't.. I made a vague comment about aesthetic similarities. The only thing I said that was a statement of fact, originally, was that neither Danvers nor Rambeaus powers have any real Kree origins, so the Kree couldn't be a connecting factor even if Khan has some connection to them (which, at this point, is a stretch).

I said they had powers based at least in part on light. That's it. And nobody's even made a case that I'm wrong on that.

Edit: is all this because I said "light-based" rather than, say, "light-themed"?
    Last edited by Endus; 2022-07-04 at 10:42 PM.

Nah. It's entirely because you have a psychological inability to admit when you're wrong.

You make up things ("light is cosmic energy, even though it absolutely isn't!!!"), make up your own categorizations ("Danvers, Rambeaux, and Kamala all have the same powers, err I mean themes, I mean categories, I mean whatever I decide to mean this post!!!"), arbitrarily dismiss everything else that doesn't fit into whatever ridiculous point you're trying to make ("no, they're not light-themed because I said they're not, even if they are!!!"), and then act holier-than-thou through it all.

You're wrong. There's nothing connecting them beyond the fact that Kamala is a Captain Marvel fangirl, and that there might be a superficial Kree relationship somewhere in there. That's it. That's their connection. Not this fake "light-themed" taxonomy you didn't (wink wink, nudge nudge) pull straight out of your ass.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nah. It's entirely because you have a psychological inability to admit when you're wrong.

You make up things ("light is cosmic energy, even though it absolutely isn't!!!"), make up your own categorizations ("Danvers, Rambeaux, and Kamala all have the same powers, err I mean themes, I mean categories, I mean whatever I decide to mean this post!!!"), arbitrarily dismiss everything else that doesn't fit into whatever ridiculous point you're trying to make ("no, they're not light-themed because I said they're not, even if they are!!!"), and then act holier-than-thou through it all.

You're wrong. There's nothing between the three of them save that Kamala is a Captain Marvel fangirl, and that there's a Kree relationship between them. That's it. That's their connection. Not this fake "light-themed" taxonomy you didn't (wink wink, nudge nudge) pull straight out of your ass.
    You're just being abusive. You're not even making counterarguments, just mockery. There's nothing for me to respond to, here.

I'm the one acting "holier-than-thou"? I noted a similarity, offhandedly, and the two of you have just taken it on yourselves to kick the shit outta me for an opinion.

Case in point. Inability to admit you're wrong.

Point made. Thanks.

1+ Year Old Account
    Last night I went to the movie theater with my girlfriend, we really enjoyed it.
    We went to see Spider-Man.
    The movie is great and the acoustics in the theater are great, you can hear every sound that happens in the movie.
    All in all, I advise everyone to go to the movies, especially since technology is very advanced in terms of sound and watching movies in the theater has become much more enjoyable.
    One of the pluses is that you can so that people do not disturb and feel more comfortable, you can relax).
    You can rent a cinema

7+ Year Old Account
    Oh man, it even looked like Terrigenesis cocoons when they got hit by the veil today. And Kamran now also got his powers after getting hit by it. Arghhhhh.

#TEAMGIRAFFE

They really need to give up on the weekly release schedule if they aren't gonna bother structuring these shows like TV shows.

At least keep the episode lengths consistent.

Anyways this episode was fine but it really felt like we were jumping around all over the place. Hope they can nail the ending.