Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Can't see them trying a movie again when all the other game developers are pushing animated series.

And speaking of which, whatever happened to supposed Diablo and OW ones on Netflix? They were announced like 4 or 5 years ago...

10+ Year Old Account
    I just hope they get a good human cast. Thats what honestly hurt the first film the Orc side was great but the actors they got for the humans (and Garona) were terrible.

Best thing they could do is make it animated.
    Last edited by Nathreim; 2022-07-05 at 09:13 PM.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathreim View Post
    I just hope they get a good human cast. Thats what honestly hurt the first film the Orc side was great but the actors they got for the humans (and Garona) were terrible.

Best thing they could do is make it animated.
    Any human is going to look ridicilous next to those orcs

Quote Originally Posted by Unlimited Power View Post
    Have the first movie end with Arthas murdering his father. I think that'd work as a fairly self-contained story with potential for a sequel.
    TBH they could make a movie of the Human campaign's cutscenes, not change much of the dialog, add a bunch of action sequences in stead of the gameplay (skirmish against the Orcs early on, then big battle in Hearthglen, massacre in Stratholme, final big battle in Northrend after he gets the sword) and you have a solid script as it is. Hell if they wanna be even more dramatic end the movie by breaking canon a bit and having Uther duel Arthas outside of the burning capital or somewhere suitable. But really having the finale be Terenas's murder works too.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

Focus on Thrall and Grom Hellscream. A young Varian in Lordaeron having survived off screen past events (Gul'dan and Orcs successfully sacking Stormwind.) Make it about Terenas, Genn and the Alliance helping re-take Stormwind and defeat the Orcs. Ends with Orcs and Thrall being imprisoned in Durnholde. Hint at Arthas having been away training with the Silver Hand, the Legion and Ma'ganis.

Quote Originally Posted by enigma77 View Post

"Be feared, or be fuel.."

Works just fine in this scene though, no? So why here, and not other scenes is what they have to get down.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Well, sonuvabitch...I actually enjoyed watching that.
    Thank you!
    The acting is more convincing.
    The only cringe part is "For Azeroth!", which needs to be dropped. Your average human fights for Stormwind or the Alliance, not "Earth".

I didnt HATE the movie, but it really didnt work as a movie. The pacing was terrible, and the story really convoluted for the casual, non-wow playing viewers. The visuals were actually pretty awesome, but Garona was bloody terrible. There were moments i wished they had just gona full cgi, which isnt good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    In no way are you entitled to the 'complete' game when you buy it, because DLC/cosmetics and so on are there for companies to make more money
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Others, including myself, are saying that they only exist because Blizzard needed to create things so they could monetize it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    Focus on Thrall and Grom Hellscream. A young Varian in Lordaeron having survived off screen past events (Gul'dan and Orcs successfully sacking Stormwind.) Make it about Terenas, Genn and the Alliance helping re-take Stormwind and defeat the Orcs. Ends with Orcs and Thrall being imprisoned in Durnholde. Hint at Arthas having been away training with the Silver Hand, the Legion and Ma'ganis.
    Aaaaand you fall into the same trap as the first movie; too many plots lines, fluff, and characters to follow.

That's what makes the Arthas story a good one to adapt. It's a fairly simple story that follows one central protagonist through a fully realized character arc. Only five other primary characters to keep track of (Uther, Jaina, Muradin, Kel'Thuzad, and Mal'Ganis) all of whom serve the main plot and the central protagonist's journey. You don't need to know the history of Lordaeron, the First or Second Wars, or all the connections between the Scourge, Ner'Zhul, or the Legion. No need to drag in the whole Alliance/Horde thing where you have two warring factions but neither one is "the good guys" or "the bad guys".
    Last edited by Adamas102; 2022-07-06 at 06:30 AM.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by elderu View Post

"Be feared, or be fuel.."

Works just fine in this scene though, no? So why here, and not other scenes is what they have to get down.
    No I don't think it does. The humans are ridiculously small compared the orcs, that is not the case in the game(s).

All the fight scenes in the movie look hilarious as a result. It's as if they cast midgets to fight bodybuilders.

There's also the problem that imo all the human armor looks like plastic, for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by KOUNTERPARTS View Post
    I'm surprised this flew under the radar. (not really surprised actually, lol)

https://www.thathashtagshow.com/2022...n-development/

I wonder who could play an adult Thrall realistically. Perhaps it's time for Metzen to dust off his acting chops once more.

Events of the film: during the Second War?

EDIT: Was thinking... maybe it's not such a bad idea to incorporate elements from the lore that isn't the basic, foundational "orcs versus human" era of Warcraft history. The first movie was heavy that, but with the "evil magic of the fel" and the imagery of Medivh becoming a demon. True fans knew what it alluded to, but not run-of-the-mill movie goers. Perhaps maybe taking place during the Third War but more focused on the rise of the Scourge?
    It should just be Thrall's story

Thrall's story for Lord of the Clans, along with Arthas's story are probably the two most universally liked stories in Warcraft.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaelthon
    do i wanting my cat come the expansion due to signifying a reroll fresh scratch the night elf mage?

Quote Originally Posted by Niwes View Post
    i am far more interested, besides your 2 facts (yes, what you said are objective facts, not an opinion), for what target audience this movie is made for.

1)
    the 10 ppls that never heard of wow, but that are not interested anyway ?

2)
    the 1000 ppls still being a wow die hard fan wanting a great movie ?

3)
    the 10000000 ppls that left wow for good, were disapointed by first movie and completely lost interest in wow the last few years ? not sure you will make much money these days with them.

4)
    14 year old kids in 2022 that go „what is wow?“ or „a movie about a 17 year old game. great.“

so, that said: doing a wow movie in the next 5 years sounds like suicide to me tbh.
    This sums it up. They were kinda late even with the original movie, WoW was already diving and making one now when the game is all but dead would make no sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Tooshie View Post
    This sums it up. They were kinda late even with the original movie, WoW was already diving and making one now when the game is all but dead would make no sense.
    I never really understood this argument. How culturally relevant is League of Legends? Tons of people play it, sure, but outside of those, it's a relatively unknown franchise whose characters hadn't trascended the game at all. And even within the gaming community, there's an entire generation of kids playing online games (Minecraft, Fornite) who haven't touched it.

And yet Arcane was a massive hit.

That means that a good story and an engaging medium are all a franchise needs to find an audience, regardless of how popular or how old the source material is.

So the argument shouldn't be "Warcraft isn't as big anymore, they shouldn't make movies/shows about it", it should be "Warcraft isn't as big anymore, they are going to need to work hard and do things right to get people into it, because they can't rely on their playerbase alone".

Now, whether Blizzard, Universal or whoever ends up behind this are willing to commit the resources and effort it needs, is an entirely different thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    Man, if they're gonna do a reboot just do the fucking Arthas arc and get it over with.
    After what they did with Arthas in Shadowlands, I can't help but think "I hope they leave Arthas fucking alone. Haven't they done enough to ruin his story already?!"

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gurkan View Post
    An arthas movie wouldn't work out, since the "Arthas" arcs doesn't just cover him, but other characters as well. It'd need to be a series that covers the events of Warcraft 3 as a whole.
    Not really. The human campaign from WC3 in and of itself works pretty well as a standalone.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    A Warcraft movie needs to be an original story, not an adaptation of the games. A 2 hour movie isn't going better tell the story of a 40 hour long game.
    That's the thing, though. The game doesn't have "40 hours of story". At best, in those 40 hours, we have 2 hours of story, 38 hours of gameplay, of us making our bases, mining gold and harvesting lumber, then building a small army, then upgrading our army's weapons and armor, then making better troops, attacking our enemies, etc, etc, rinse and repeat 6-7 times.

Quote Originally Posted by Tooshie View Post
    yes, heavily agree.

i can’t imagine who is pumping money into it (that much money, that it is at least same or better than first movie) after all what happened in the last 2 years at Blizz (wow player count, MS deal, harassments). foremost, as you said, at such a late point in time, in regards to wow‘s age. which investors are interested in a second movie wave of a 17 year old video game?

even when ATVI Blizz „needs“ a movie as some franchise advertising, to keep wow alive. nah, this will not work well. foremost not together with some rather straight, simple, „nothing special“, standard xpac like DF. if the next xpac would be a Legion‘esque revival xpac or some „here we go again“ hyped xpac marketing, with a xpac centering around stuff ppls long awaited or a massive amount of new features, or when pumped a lot of effort and money into it, well… then maybe. but DF (as good as it maybe will become) not fits that and more looks like a dumpster fire, standard or filler xpac. nothing to link a giant movie with, in a giant marketing campaign, to make wow great again.

tbh: i have a rather hard time to imagine who would invest money (even Blizz) in another wow movie in the next few years.
    Last edited by Niwes; 2022-07-06 at 01:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by username993720 View Post
    The acting is more convincing. The only cringe part is "For Azeroth!", which needs to be dropped. Your average human fights for Stormwind or the Alliance, not "Earth".
    Good point.
    Beyond that some thought was given in the use of language though. When she latched on the word "mundane" she reacted as if the word was strange...which made sense in a fantasy world. (That had to be Vanessa vanCleef at the end bursting through the doorway)

First movie was mediocre at best in my view. They need to slow down and take their time. The first movie should have been 3 movies, 3 hours each. Instead, we get 1.30 hours of summary.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by enigma77 View Post
    That wasn't a problem in the first movie. The plastic-looking armor was kind of a problem though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    After what they did with Arthas in Shadowlands, I can't help but think "I hope they leave Arthas fucking alone. Haven't they done enough to ruin his story already?!"
    That's the beauty of it: They don't have to change a fucking thing for it to be successful. In fact, reassurance that they aren't changing anything would likely be one of the potential movie's biggest selling points for the fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    That's the beauty of it: They don't have to change a fucking thing for it to be successful. In fact, reassurance that they aren't changing anything would likely be one of the potential movie's biggest selling points for the fans.
    I don't really trust Blizzard on that one. Remember Reforged? >_>