It really is disappointing how long this shit takes. Its been almost 2 years and it feels like these investigations are still barely touching on the actual people involved.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    It really is disappointing how long this shit takes. Its been almost 2 years and it feels like these investigations are still barely touching on the actual people involved.
    State sanctioned execution squads are still busy handling traffic infractions. Priorities man!

Trump endorsed candidate for PA governor isn't feeling the love from other Republicans;

A group of Pennsylvania Republicans threw their support behind Democratic Attorney General Josh Shapiro’s gubernatorial bid on Wednesday, going against their party’s gubernatorial nominee and state Sen. Doug Mastriano (R).

The group of Republicans hailed Shapiro while attacking Mastriano as an extremist and threat to the rule of law.

The endorsements represent a direct hit against Mastriano, who has centered much of his campaign around the unsubstantiated claims of widespread voter fraud in 2020. Despite an effort from some Pennsylvania Republicans to block him from the nomination, Matsriano defeated a crowded field of other GOP gubernatorial candidates, including former Rep. Lou Barletta (R-Pa.), in May. Mastriano’s campaign was given a boost from Trump’s endorsement ahead of Primary Day.

I think the past few years have pushed me further to the left, if only because the Republicans are batshit crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Trump endorsed candidate for PA governor isn't feeling the love from other Republicans;

A group of Pennsylvania Republicans threw their support behind Democratic Attorney General Josh Shapiro’s gubernatorial bid on Wednesday, going against their party’s gubernatorial nominee and state Sen. Doug Mastriano (R).

The group of Republicans hailed Shapiro while attacking Mastriano as an extremist and threat to the rule of law.

The endorsements represent a direct hit against Mastriano, who has centered much of his campaign around the unsubstantiated claims of widespread voter fraud in 2020. Despite an effort from some Pennsylvania Republicans to block him from the nomination, Matsriano defeated a crowded field of other GOP gubernatorial candidates, including former Rep. Lou Barletta (R-Pa.), in May. Mastriano’s campaign was given a boost from Trump’s endorsement ahead of Primary Day.
    A good highlight for the struggle between the traditional Republican and the new Trumpists. They might not want the crazies but the base, which they themselves cultivated, are all in on bat shit insane.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    If you’re going to indict a former sitting president you gotta make damn sure you’ve dotted all your i’s and crossed all your t’s.

I mean, people speak of how “emboldening” it would be to trump and his cronies if he weren’t prosecuted. And that would certainly be bad. But equally bad would be if he was prosecuted… and then found innocent because the prosecution tried to rush it. That would basically be a legitimization of what he tried to pull.

I say load as many rounds of ammunition against that fucker as possible. It’s not like the testimony coming out against him is making things any better for him.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    If you’re going to indict a former sitting president you gotta make damn sure you’ve dotted all your i’s and crossed all your t’s.
    That statement is, literally, a description of the corruption of both the systems of justice and governance in your country.

It's not normal. It's not defensible. Just stating that out loud should be shocking and horrifying that politicians have that kind of influence and power, that they can skate by on committing crimes because of their position and power.

Literally; that's just corruption. That's what corruption is. That Trump and co may not be prosecuted because of how deeply and incontrovertibly corrupt the American system of governance and justice currently are.

I mean, people speak of how “emboldening” it would be to trump and his cronies if he weren’t prosecuted. And that would certainly be bad. But equally bad would be if he was prosecuted… and then found innocent because the prosecution tried to rush it. That would basically be a legitimization of what he tried to pull.
    1> No courts rule anyone "innocent".
    2>Double jeopardy is an issue, but that's a prosecutorial issue that shouldn't be any different based on the individual being prosecuted. If there are differentials there, again, you're describing corruption in the justice system and, again, that's not normal.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    That statement is, literally, a description of the corruption of both the systems of justice and governance in your country.

It's not normal. It's not defensible. Just stating that out loud should be shocking and horrifying that politicians have that kind of influence and power, that they can skate by on committing crimes because of their position and power.

Literally; that's just corruption. That's what corruption is. That Trump and co may not be prosecuted because of how deeply and incontrovertibly corrupt the American system of governance and justice currently are.

2>Double jeopardy is an issue, but that's a prosecutorial issue that shouldn't be any different based on the individual being prosecuted. If there are differentials there, again, you're describing corruption in the justice system and, again, that's not normal.
    No shit the system is corrupt but In a case as important as this the prosecutors have to make sure they build the best case they can before they charge, because the effects of a not guilty verdict would be extreme.

This isn't a case of someone going 5 over the speed limit where if the prosecutors fuck up it's not a big deal for the country.

10+ Year Old Account

Yeah of course.

But you can’t try and indict a president based on how you “think it should work,” if you want to succeed you have to work in the realm of how things DO work. And, clearly, the various investigative bodies pursuing this thing… or these things, rather, think there’s merit to pursuing it, and that it’s not some lost cause.

And regardless of whether he’s declared “innocent,” any failure of conviction or declaration of him being liable is the exact same thing to his followers- a legitimization of what he did. Right now the January 6th insurrection and Trump’s various attempts to influence state electors are a very… touchy subject for them. Even the most adamant right-wing nuts around here won’t broach them and will ignore when they’re mentioned, because even they know they don’t have a foot to stand on and it makes them and their guy look awful. But some failure to convict on those? Suddenly it becomes a matter of “hah, all that january 6th stuff was LEGAL! You can’t say nothing no more!”

Which… who cares what they think, sure. But repeat that lie enough times and independents start believing it, as well as democrats. Look at the smear campaign against Hillary.

And again, you imploring that “that’s what a broker system is, it shouldn’t BE that way!” means… nothing. The system isn’t going to change over the course of this event, so you deal with it as it is, or you don’t do it at all. There is no third option, no matter how much one might declare that there “should be,” and declaring it won’t make it so regardless.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    Graham announces intent to fight subpoenas, on the grounds that he's a Republican and therefore doesn't believe in law and order applied to old white men.

Okay, that's not what he said, just the underlying message. He claims it's a WITCH HUNT which is an odd thing to say when your lawyers claim you're not a suspect, just a witness.

If Graham is fighting the order to testify as a witness then I'm less inclined to believe he is one. We know he called Georgia officials. I'm guessing they recorded the call on their end. He better *ahem* get his story straight.

Quote Originally Posted by CastletonSnob View Post
    I think the past few years have pushed me further to the left, if only because the Republicans are batshit crazy.
    I've been pushed further right, personally, with all the batshit crazy progressives out there making ridiculous demands. I'm sitting pretty comfortably center-left these days.

I know what you mean, though. Regardless of my...feelings about the left overall the Republican party needs to be stopped as soon as possible because they're starting to do some very scary things.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xmirrors View Post
    I've been pushed further right, personally, with all the batshit crazy progressives out there making ridiculous demands. I'm sitting pretty comfortably center-left these days.
    Crazy-ass demands like "maybe don't be an abusive dickweasel to innocent people" or "maybe people should be able to live a decent life with basic comforts".

Such extreeeeme views.

10+ Year Old Account
    Crazy-ass demands like "maybe don't be an abusive dickweasel to innocent people" or "maybe people should be able to live a decent life with basic comforts".

Such extreeeeme views.
    "LGBTQ+ are people" is also pretty extreme too you know.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    "LGBTQ+ are people" is also pretty extreme too you know.
    Well, that was in the "don't be an abusive dickweasel" bit, technically.

Just real tired of being told that ideas like "maybe workers should share in the profits from their labor" is "SUPER RADICAL" but "some elite figure gets to take all the profits off the labor of the people he enslaves employs* so he can buy a fourth megayacht so his main megayacht's helicopter can have its own megayacht as a helipad while his full-time staff have to turn to government support to supplement their starvation-level wages" is somehow just totes normal and reasonable.

*it's different because there's no obligation to pay for upkeep/housing

Thank you for perfectly demonstrating why so many people reject the messaging from progressives and why progressives will never hold any real power.
    Take care.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thank you for perfectly demonstrating why so many people reject the messaging from progressives and why progressives will never hold any real power.
    Take care.
    It was a serious question.

What views are you finding so "extreme"?

Packing your non-ball and going home when called out to explain your vague-but-empty accusation just demonstrates you really can't provide details.

Also, consider Canada. We've had legalized marriage equality longer than basically any country, we just nationally legalized recreational weed a few years ago, there's literally no abortion laws whatsoever, we've got hate speech laws on the books, and strong protections for gender identity and expression as a protected class, federally.

By any American interpretation, we're wildly "progressive", as a nation, due to the "progressive" leaderships we've had. So that claim of yours is just really, really fuckin' silly.
    Last edited by Endus; 2022-07-06 at 07:57 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Take care.
    “People deserve equal rights” shouldn’t really be a controversial opinion.

Tell me, what “opinion progressives are too uppity for their own good about” are there?

And I don’t mean some randos on Twitter or tumblr, I mean positions from actual people in power who have the ability to do things.
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

I'm center left but Joe Rogan and Bill Maher did epic bants against "the woke mob" so now I think anyone who identifies as trans will hold me down and tell me to use their proper pronouns or they'll turn me into a trans as well, I am a normal person.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by uuuhname View Post
    I'm center left but Joe Rogan and Bill Maher did epic bants against "the woke mob" so now I think anyone who identifies as trans will hold me down and tell me to use their proper pronouns or they'll turn me into a trans as well, I am a normal person.
    God, Bill Maher. If Republicans had pushed to legalize weed, dude would've voted for Trump. Anyone who thinks he's "left-wing" has never listened to him speak.

He's also an incredibly fragile pantywaist, and absolutely loses his nut when people point out what a bigot he is.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    The state of things: Trumpists are pissed that Democrats aren't pissed that the Georgia Guidestones were bombed. "Why don't you care about this obviously irrelevant Cold War relic that details all of your secret evil plans for all to see??"