Thread: Baldurs Gate 3

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Explain what? I am not sure what you need clarity on. I am saying the game has a distinct feel of a Larian game and not that of the franchise of Baldur's Gate. That may or may not have been what Larian wanted, but I think it will be divisive on release between those who think BG3 "doesn't feel like a BG game" and those that are fine with that notion.
    Bunch of boomer cultist bullshit.

Here's the thing - I don't want Baldur's Gate 2 in 2022. The worst thing that could have happened to Baldur's Gate franchise is some sort of niche cRPG isometric reimagining like various super niche games do, with the best shot so far being Pillars that spawned a bunch of others of barely any note.

BG3 will be a legendary game, an RPG experience on its own as it should be in 2022 and not some sad imitation of a game from 20 years old that did not age well. And I don't give rats ass that it's also D:OS3 or whatever the complaint is, because by all means - they did excellent job that that landed them the license to begin with and BG3 already appears to be amazing building on the solid ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Warning View Post
    It won't be divisive unless it's really buggy or something. There's like 50 grumpy BG2 fans that constantly complain about wanting outdated mechanics inserted into the game, as well as a small group of 5E purists who want an endless amount of "toggles" where they can set the rules to be more like tabletop and make everything extremely clunky with endless popups. Those voices are going to get drowned out when the actual game comes out and 5-10 million normal people see how much freedom and fun they have playing through the story solo and in co op. The character creation options are absolutely sick already and there are still a ton of races and classes and subclasses to add.
    Very true 20 years is like a generation or 2 of brand new people, with streaming and such it will dwarf the old games in reach and volume and while the old games are revered they were never massively sold, the presale of BG3 likely have surpassed the old games.

7+ Year Old Account
    Explain what? I am not sure what you need clarity on. I am saying the game has a distinct feel of a Larian game and not that of the franchise of Baldur's Gate. That may or may not have been what Larian wanted, but I think it will be divisive on release between those who think BG3 "doesn't feel like a BG game" and those that are fine with that notion.
    Oh, we got plenty of those on game reveal, they claimed it is not BG cuz it is turn based. We ignore those who keep living in the past. They wont hinder game success.
    Last edited by Makabreska; 2022-07-08 at 05:18 PM.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

Owlcat and the PF games have (I think) done way better than Pillars but they are still pretty niche. BG3 will likely earn an order of magnitude more revenue if not more.

My main perceived issue will pretty much always be that I wish they were able to use their own Divinity-like skill system instead of the much more lame D&D version, but obviously that's a non-starter since it is how they got the license in the first place.

So it is what it is. Still looks incredible.
    Last edited by Tyris Flare; 2022-07-08 at 05:18 PM.
    A better way to think about Casual v Hardcore: https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...asual-Hardcore

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Andonais View Post
    Very true 20 years is like a generation or 2 of brand new people, with streaming and such it will dwarf the old games in reach and volume and while the old games are revered they were never massively sold, the presale of BG3 likely have surpassed the old games.
    I bet you will have a bunch of boomers, cultists and some streaming click-bait hunter-seekers taking pot shots at BG3, but I believe they will simply get drowned out seeing the quality and the scope of the game.

There will always be those morons who will slap 0/10 in Metacritic because it's not a remaster of BG2. You can see it with some other games like this.

The only 2 issues that may hurt BG3 would be if the game releases with a ton of gamebreaking bugs or unfinished last act. But that would be objective issues, not subjective BS like "it's not that game from 20 years ago, how dare you???".

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    "Boomer" as in Baby Boomer? LOL, what?!

Do you think Baby Boomers were buying up Baldur's Gate 2; do you think +58-year-olds are driving sales for Baldur's Gate 3?

Brother, laughing my ass off.

7+ Year Old Account
    "Boomer" as in Baby Boomer? LOL, what?!

Do you think Baby Boomers were buying up Baldur's Gate 2; do you think +58-year-olds are driving sales for Baldur's Gate 3?

Brother, laughing my ass off.
    Ok, now let's address the rest of his port?
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

Quote Originally Posted by Makabreska View Post
    Oh, we got plenty of those on game reveal, they claimed it is not BG cuz it is turn based. We ignore those who keep living in the past. They wont hinder game success.
    Time will tell. I have seen a lot of folks on other social media divided on the game in its current modality.

Are you a robot or just impersonating one?
    A better way to think about Casual v Hardcore: https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...asual-Hardcore

Quote Originally Posted by Makabreska View Post
    Ok, now let's address the rest of his port?
    Nothing to discuss. It's just his enthusiastic opinion. "Legendary" isn't a metric anyone is going to measure or quantify.

Perfectly fine to look forward to the game. I am as well, I bought it after all.

Are people confident in the direction the story and characters are going in? I bought it but decided to wait to play until it is fully released.

The main thing about the Baldur’s Gate games for me wasn't the gameplay. It was the story and the characters.

Here's the thing - I don't want Baldur's Gate 2 in 2022. The worst thing that could have happened to Baldur's Gate franchise is some sort of niche cRPG isometric reimagining like various super niche games do, with the best shot so far being Pillars that spawned a bunch of others of barely any note.

BG3 will be a legendary game, an RPG experience on its own as it should be in 2022 and not some sad imitation of a game from 20 years old that did not age well. And I don't give rats ass that it's also D:OS3 or whatever the complaint is, because by all means - they did excellent job that that landed them the license to begin with and BG3 already appears to be amazing building on the solid ground.
    ? I bought BG when it was out as a teenager and I am a Millenial. Tail end of Millenials but still.
    And I have absolutely no issue with the gameplay. Would have loved to have that gameplay on BG and BG:2 as I'm someone who's been playing D&D since I was 10 and this actually feels so close to a tabletop experience.

What is missing is the feel of BG when it comes to the story, the companions, the villains. The art style is too vibrant as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by vom View Post
    Are people confident in the direction the story and characters are going in? I bought it but decided to wait to play until it is fully released.

The main thing about the Baldur’s Gate games for me wasn't the gameplay. It was the story and the characters.
    exactly, I could not care about the gameplay tbh. Especially the broken ass gameplay of BG2 were they implemented a dozen spells from AD&D that were SPECIFICALLY created to never be given to players and just to explain why certain wizards like Khelben and the Simbul were broken beyond even what their level would indicate. They were made to NOT be used.

Baldur's Gate 2 is a boomer game that simply did not keep up with the times. It's apples and oranges at this point. You don't have meticulously sculpted world, characters, voice acting and ambience in Baldur's Gate 2.

Therefore I compare it to Witcher 3 and Mass Effect trilogy where you actually started to see these things or see them to the great effect. The only thing you may be able to compare to BG2 is story and characters writing, the rest is simply not even comparable.

A boomer game? :P

Are you not over 20 or something?

10+ Year Old Account

Remains to be seen.

The setup is there with mysteries and weird stuff going on. Act 1 is pretty massive, but it resolves nothing of course - it puts quite a few factions and powers of interest on the plate that all appear to be after what's in you for one reason or the other.

You could say at that point it's not unlike BG1, where shit hits the fan around you and you not knowing why really, instead you know but don't understand the exact reason why and how this is such a big deal.

What of course will make it or break it will be Act 2 and 3, the setting is loaded - how it progresses and resolves with obviously be the key.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ClassicPeon View Post
    A boomer game? :P

Are you not over 20 or something?
    I am, but it's not about the age it's about mindset.

You have plenty of old millennials like myself, but who instead just can't move on from the "good ol' 2000s" for some reason. The people who think that Diablo 2, Heroes 3, BG2 and such were the pinnacle and it all went downhill since.

Would be less of an issue, if they would not constantly try to poison the well with their bullshit about how "it's just not the same, maaan". Quite a few projects got fucked up hard just because of this neo-luddite attitude.

I am truly glad Larian puts an effort in resisting this understanding that these few dozen weirdos would simply ruin everything given the chance.

Well, to be fair. Diablo 2 is still the best and most widely regarded game in the franchise.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, to be fair. Diablo 2 is still the best and most widely regarded game in the franchise.
    "Best" if you still live in 2001.

My point exactly.

It's early to say, there's instances of good writing (imo they have some decent horror writers on the team for example, which also showed in DoS2) and pretty solid voice acting overall I'd say. They definitely put a lot of effort into fleshing out areas and even minor characters. I can't imagine a world where its not going to be worth playing through at least once almost, but of course the later acts are still entirely unknown. There's some hesitation in regard to those because DoS2 launched with the later acts somewhat unpolished. It could happen again I suppose so maybe in that case you'd want to wait until the definitive edition. I won't do that though but maybe i'll wait a few weeks after launch or so incase there's annoying bugs.

Remains to be seen.

The setup is there with mysteries and weird stuff going on. Act 1 is pretty massive, but it resolves nothing of course - it puts quite a few factions and powers of interest on the plate that all appear to be after what's in you for one reason or the other.

You could say at that point it's not unlike BG1, where shit hits the fan around you and you not knowing why really, instead you know but don't understand the exact reason why and how this is such a big deal.

What of course will make it or break it will be Act 2 and 3, the setting is loaded - how it progresses and resolves with obviously be the key.

- - - Updated - - -

I am, but it's not about the age it's about mindset.

You have plenty of old millennials like myself, but who instead just can't move on from the "good ol' 2000s" for some reason. The people who think that Diablo 2, Heroes 3, BG2 and such were the pinnacle and it all went downhill since.

Would be less of an issue, if they would not constantly try to poison the well with their bullshit about how "it's just not the same, maaan". Quite a few projects got fucked up hard just because of this neo-luddite attitude.

I am truly glad Larian puts an effort in resisting this understanding that these few dozen weirdos would simply ruin everything given the chance.

Baldurs gate 2 is literally the pinnacle of the DnD rpgs though. Its such a good game that its still top 10 on many goat lists. You wont ever find mass effect there.

It doesnt hold up to todays standards but that doesnt mean it should be ignored and forgotten. Games like BG3 exist solely because bg2 was a success.

The fact that things like graphics and memory was so limited back then compared to now doesnt mean great games wherent made back then.

As an example bg2 still have one of the most iconic villains in gaming because his dialogue and voice actor was great.

Quote Originally Posted by Warning View Post
    It won't be divisive unless it's really buggy or something. There's like 50 grumpy BG2 fans that constantly complain about wanting outdated mechanics inserted into the game, as well as a small group of 5E purists who want an endless amount of "toggles" where they can set the rules to be more like tabletop and make everything extremely clunky with endless popups. Those voices are going to get drowned out when the actual game comes out and 5-10 million normal people see how much freedom and fun they have playing through the story solo and in co op. The character creation options are absolutely sick already and there are still a ton of races and classes and subclasses to add.
    This is truth.

relatively bug-less release is what is important. And it has to be somewhat ... not... "janky".
    "Swarm AI" looks and sounds awesome, but only if it works properly.
    And since they put emphasis on how characters look while they talk, it's very important for it not to look "stupid" (see Mass Effect for example) as well.

"Best" if you still live in 2001.

My point exactly.
    Pretty sure the consensus opinion among customers and critics is Diablo 2 is indeed the best of the series in the year 2022.